If I cannot bend Heaven, I shall move Hell. -- Publius Vergilius Maro (Virgil)

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Save Electricity (for another day)

SubjectAuthor
* Save Electricity (for another day)Ray
+* Re: Save Electricity (for another day)Abandoned_Trolley
|+* Re: Save Electricity (for another day)boggy
||`* Re: Save Electricity (for another day)Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 +
|| `- Re: Save Electricity (for another day)boggy
|`- Re: Save Electricity (for another day)Indy Jess John
`- Re: Save Electricity (for another day)Abandoned_Trolley

1
Save Electricity (for another day)

<t4ippi$4he$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3960&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3960

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Save Electricity (for another day)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 07:51:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 07:51 UTC

increasing our fridge temperature from 3c. to 5c. is, according to the smart
meter, saving a significant measurable amount of power.
I can see this particularly overnight when nothing else except computers is
running. We've turned off the central heating.
During the day it's noticeable how much quieter the fridge is.
Incidentally turning off at the plugs anything that typically remains on
standby when not in use, TV's, laptop chargers etc., has no noticeable effect.

--
If I ever use "there" instead of "their" or"your" instead "you're" in the same post, I've been kidnapped and I'm signalling for help.

Re: Save Electricity (for another day)

<t4lj5s$vcq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3977&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3977

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Save Electricity (for another day)
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 10:16:43 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 1 May 2022 09:16 UTC

On 30/04/2022 08:51, Ray wrote:
> increasing our fridge temperature from 3c. to 5c. is, according to the smart
> meter, saving a significant measurable amount of power.
> I can see this particularly overnight when nothing else except computers is
> running. We've turned off the central heating.
> During the day it's noticeable how much quieter the fridge is.
> Incidentally turning off at the plugs anything that typically remains on
> standby when not in use, TV's, laptop chargers etc., has no noticeable effect.

I was under the impression that the default setting for most domestic
fridges was 8c - either way, 3c sounds uncomfortably cold for beer etc ...

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Save Electricity (for another day)

<t4lk86$971$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3979&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3979

From: bog...@peatbogs.co.uk (boggy)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 10:35:02 +0100
 by: boggy - Sun, 1 May 2022 09:35 UTC

On 01/05/2022 10:16, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
> On 30/04/2022 08:51, Ray wrote:
>> increasing our fridge temperature from 3c. to 5c. is, according to the
>> smart
>> meter, saving a significant measurable amount of power.
>> I can see this particularly overnight when nothing else except
>> computers is
>> running. We've turned off the central heating.
>> During the day it's noticeable how much quieter the fridge is.
>> Incidentally turning off at the plugs anything that typically remains on
>> standby when not in use, TV's, laptop chargers etc., has no noticeable
>> effect.
>>

> I was under the impression that the default setting for most domestic
> fridges was 8c - either way, 3c sounds uncomfortably cold for beer etc ...

The FSA say the temperature should be below 5c which also agrees with
the information from a food hygiene course I completed recently.

It seems doubtful the default setting would be 8c

--

boggy

Re: Save Electricity (for another day)

<jd77a8F8pftU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3981&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3981

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 +)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 11:56:16 +0100
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 + - Sun, 1 May 2022 10:56 UTC

boggy wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 10:16, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
>> On 30/04/2022 08:51, Ray wrote:
>>> increasing our fridge temperature from 3c. to 5c. is, according to
>>> the smart
>>> meter, saving a significant measurable amount of power.
>>> I can see this particularly overnight when nothing else except
>>> computers is
>>> running. We've turned off the central heating.
>>> During the day it's noticeable how much quieter the fridge is.
>>> Incidentally turning off at the plugs anything that typically
>>> remains on standby when not in use, TV's, laptop chargers etc., has
>>> no noticeable effect.
>>>

>> I was under the impression that the default setting for most domestic
>> fridges was 8c - either way, 3c sounds uncomfortably cold for beer
>> etc ...
>
> The FSA say the temperature should be below 5c which also agrees with
> the information from a food hygiene course I completed recently.
>
> It seems doubtful the default setting would be 8c

My 'fridge usually works on the temperature range of 5�C to 8�C.
I occasionally monitor it and there is a temperature range across the
fridge. Usually between 5�C and 8�C at the top of the door to between
2�C and 6�C at the back of the top shelf in the main body. The freezer
compartment ranges from -18�C to -22�C. An engineer recently (within
the last 3 years that between 5�C and 8�C was the accepted working
range.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�22+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..

Re: Save Electricity (for another day)

<t4lr35$r5m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3982&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3982

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:31:49 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sun, 1 May 2022 11:31 UTC

On 01/05/2022 10:16, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
> On 30/04/2022 08:51, Ray wrote:
>> increasing our fridge temperature from 3c. to 5c. is, according to the
>> smart
>> meter, saving a significant measurable amount of power.
>> I can see this particularly overnight when nothing else except
>> computers is
>> running. We've turned off the central heating.
>> During the day it's noticeable how much quieter the fridge is.
>> Incidentally turning off at the plugs anything that typically remains on
>> standby when not in use, TV's, laptop chargers etc., has no noticeable
>> effect.
>>

> I was under the impression that the default setting for most domestic
> fridges was 8c - either way, 3c sounds uncomfortably cold for beer etc ...

Mine sits around 40F which is roughly 4.5C.
Things seem to stay fresh for a long time at that temperature.

Jim

Re: Save Electricity (for another day)

<t4ls61$583$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3983&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3983

From: bog...@peatbogs.co.uk (boggy)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:50:19 +0100
 by: boggy - Sun, 1 May 2022 11:50 UTC

On 01/05/2022 11:56, Flyi�g �u� 2�22 + wrote:
> boggy wrote:
>>>>

>>> I was under the impression that the default setting for most domestic
>>> fridges was 8c - either way, 3c sounds uncomfortably cold for beer
>>> etc ...
>>
>> The FSA say the temperature should be below 5c which also agrees with
>> the information from a food hygiene course I completed recently.
>>
>> It seems doubtful the default setting would be 8c
>>
> My 'fridge usually works on the temperature range of 5ºC to 8ºC.
> I occasionally monitor it and there is a temperature range across the
> fridge. Usually between 5ºC and 8ºC at the top of the door to between
> 2ºC and 6ºC at the back of the top shelf in the main body. The freezer
> compartment ranges from -18ºC to -22ºC. An engineer recently (within
> the last 3 years that between 5ºC and 8ºC was the accepted working
> range.

A quick straw poll from the manufacturers websites gives recommended
temperatures as:

Hotpoint/Indesit 0.5 to 5c
Bosch 4c
Miele 5c
Samsung 3c
Beko 4.5c

My fridge thermometer also shows the ideal range as 0 to 5c!

All slightly different but all at 5c or below which fits with the FSA
guidelines

My fridge reads around 4.5c, so I'm happy with that!!

--

boggy

Re: Save Electricity (for another day)

<t50pgt$ihg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4040&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4040

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 16:12:28 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Thu, 5 May 2022 15:12 UTC

On 30/04/2022 08:51, Ray wrote:
> increasing our fridge temperature from 3c. to 5c. is, according to the smart
> meter, saving a significant measurable amount of power.
> I can see this particularly overnight when nothing else except computers is
> running. We've turned off the central heating.
> During the day it's noticeable how much quieter the fridge is.
> Incidentally turning off at the plugs anything that typically remains on
> standby when not in use, TV's, laptop chargers etc., has no noticeable effect.

I wandered in to a large charity shop furniture warehouse place this
morning, and as it was hot and sunny outside I was astonished to be
confronted by one of those high powered fan heater things mounted on the
wall just inside the door, rattling away at its highest and hottest
setting.

I asked one of the staff if they knew who paid their electricity bill,
and was referred to the "manager" - who informed me that some sort of
facilities management outfit controlled the thing using a smartphone
app, and that he was not allowed access to it :-\

--
random signature text inserted here