From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Motoring. Break down cover
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 07:51:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Sun, 1 May 2022 07:51 UTC

I've been with the RAC for years with no issues, I can't recall the last time
I called them out.
I've just had the renewal notice, cost £169.99.
Before I go and argue the toss, who is everyone else using?
Cover supplied by or as part of motoring insurance, bank accounts etc is not
helpful as it's unlikely I use the same.
I woyuld need to include 2 cars and drivers.

I thank you.
--
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Re: Motoring. Break down cover

<t4lgqb$1qh4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3974&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3974

From: phawk...@totalise.co.uk (Peter Hawkins)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Motoring. Break down cover
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 09:36:27 +0100
 by: Peter Hawkins - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:36 UTC

On 01/05/2022 08:51, Ray wrote:
> I've been with the RAC for years with no issues, I can't recall the last time
> I called them out.
> I've just had the renewal notice, cost £169.99.
> Before I go and argue the toss, who is everyone else using?
> Cover supplied by or as part of motoring insurance, bank accounts etc is not
> helpful as it's unlikely I use the same.
> I woyuld need to include 2 cars and drivers.
>
> I thank you.

I am with RAC, also for many years.
It is certainly worth arguing over the price.

--
Sent from my laptop.

Re: Motoring. Break down cover

<xn0nhcgwy5o07hr00q@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3975&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3975

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 1 May 2022 08:45:06 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:45 UTC

On 01/05/2022 in message <t4le5i$tsr$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>
Ray wrote:

>I've been with the RAC for years with no issues, I can't recall the last
>time
>I called them out.
>I've just had the renewal notice, cost £169.99.
>Before I go and argue the toss, who is everyone else using?
>Cover supplied by or as part of motoring insurance, bank accounts etc is
>not
>helpful as it's unlikely I use the same.
>I woyuld need to include 2 cars and drivers.
>
>I thank you.

I alternate between AA/RAC each year to get the best price.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it

Re: Motoring. Break down cover

<t4lj8j$15u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3978&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3978

From: who...@me.nul (Who, me?)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 09:18:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Who, me? - Sun, 1 May 2022 09:18 UTC

On Sun, 01 May 2022 07:51:14 +0000, Ray wrote:

> I've been with the RAC for years with no issues, I can't recall the last
> time I called them out.
> I've just had the renewal notice, cost £169.99.
> Before I go and argue the toss, who is everyone else using?
> Cover supplied by or as part of motoring insurance, bank accounts etc is
> not helpful as it's unlikely I use the same.
> I woyuld need to include 2 cars and drivers.
>
> I thank you.

Green Flag. On the very few occasions I've used them they've been prompt
and efficient but I've no experience in the last 5 years or so.

--
david

Re: Motoring. Break down cover

<t4ls71$5fg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3984&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3984

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:50:56 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sun, 1 May 2022 11:50 UTC

On 01/05/2022 08:51, Ray wrote:
> I've been with the RAC for years with no issues, I can't recall the last time
> I called them out.
> I've just had the renewal notice, cost £169.99.
> Before I go and argue the toss, who is everyone else using?
> Cover supplied by or as part of motoring insurance, bank accounts etc is not
> helpful as it's unlikely I use the same.
> I would need to include 2 cars and drivers.
>
> I thank you.

I have RAC cover as part of my car insurance and from the price I paid
that must have been a lot cheaper than what the RAC is quoting you.

So even if you have a different insurer than I have, it would still be
worth you asking them how much extra it would cost to include breakdown
cover.

As an aside, three years ago my insurance included Green Flag. The two
renewals after that gave me RAC cover. I never needed Green Flag, but I
did use RAC last year, and I waited an hour and a quarter for the RAC to
arrive, he got the car going in 10 minutes and then followed me for a
mile and a half to make sure I didn't immediately conk out again (and I
didn't). That seemed a good service.

Jim

Re: Motoring. Break down cover

<t4mv14$ump$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3987&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3987

From: ofs...@blackyonder.co.uk (Oliver)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 22:45:08 +0100
 by: Oliver - Sun, 1 May 2022 21:45 UTC

On 01/05/2022 08:51, Ray wrote:
> I've been with the RAC for years with no issues, I can't recall the last time
> I called them out.
> I've just had the renewal notice, cost £169.99.
> Before I go and argue the toss, who is everyone else using?
> Cover supplied by or as part of motoring insurance, bank accounts etc is not
> helpful as it's unlikely I use the same.
> I woyuld need to include 2 cars and drivers.
>
> I thank you.

AutoAid
https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/personal-based-cover/
£59.99 when I renewed in September. Person-based insurance so wife and I
are covered whatever cars we are driving. Includes Home Start - I had to
call them out recently and they were quick and efficient.
--
Oliver