One organism, one vote.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux

SubjectAuthor
* Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite muxNY
`* Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite muxMark Carver
 `* Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite muxBrian Gaff
  +* Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite muxDave W
  |`- Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite muxMark Carver
  `* Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite muxBrian Gregory
   `* Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite muxAndy Burns
    `- Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite muxMark Carver

1
Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux

<ts545a$10qcs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39694&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39694

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 09:42:04 -0000
 by: NY - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 09:42 UTC

On terrestrial, a T1 mux only contains SD (or sub-SD) channels, and these
use the MPEG-1 codec. A T2 mux (PSB3 and, previously, COM7/8) contains HD
and a few SD, and *both* use the H264 codec.

On satellite it seems that rules are more relaxed: you can get HD channels
on an S1 mux and you can get a mixture of SD (MPEG) and HD (H264) in the
same mux.

Is there anything in the T1/T2 and S1/S2 standards which stipulates the
codec to be used and the fact that all channels must use the same mux? Is it
just convention that terrestrial has no mixed-codec muxes?

Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux

<k4mjojFchkjU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39698&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39698

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:14:43 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:14 UTC

On 10/02/2023 09:42, NY wrote:
> On terrestrial, a T1 mux only contains SD (or sub-SD) channels, and
> these use the MPEG-1 codec. A T2 mux (PSB3 and, previously, COM7/8)
> contains HD and a few SD, and *both* use the H264 codec.
>
> On satellite it seems that rules are more relaxed: you can get HD
> channels on an S1 mux and you can get a mixture of SD (MPEG) and HD
> (H264) in the same mux.
>
> Is there anything in the T1/T2 and S1/S2 standards which stipulates
> the codec to be used and the fact that all channels must use the same
> mux? Is it just convention that terrestrial has no mixed-codec muxes?

DVB modulation standards (T/2/S/S2) are agnostic I think regarding the
coding standards, which are a different layer.

People forget that DAB+ is a coding and not a modulation layer, which is
why DAB muxes can (and do) carry a mixture of DAB and DAB+ stations

Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux

<ts7oh7$1cn6g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39714&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39714

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:52:34 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:52 UTC

Yes its just data as far as the transmitter is concerned. As long as the
receiver can tell the difference and decode them accordingly of course.
Looking at my old Pure the other day, there are now very few dab stations
out there compared with the plus. Do we think eventually, DAB will close all
the old format stations down and use plus for everything?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 10/02/2023 09:42, NY wrote:
>> On terrestrial, a T1 mux only contains SD (or sub-SD) channels, and these
>> use the MPEG-1 codec. A T2 mux (PSB3 and, previously, COM7/8) contains HD
>> and a few SD, and *both* use the H264 codec.
>>
>> On satellite it seems that rules are more relaxed: you can get HD
>> channels on an S1 mux and you can get a mixture of SD (MPEG) and HD
>> (H264) in the same mux.
>>
>> Is there anything in the T1/T2 and S1/S2 standards which stipulates the
>> codec to be used and the fact that all channels must use the same mux? Is
>> it just convention that terrestrial has no mixed-codec muxes?
>
> DVB modulation standards (T/2/S/S2) are agnostic I think regarding the
> coding standards, which are a different layer.
>
> People forget that DAB+ is a coding and not a modulation layer, which is
> why DAB muxes can (and do) carry a mixture of DAB and DAB+ stations

Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux

<h0teuh5ce9muognqgfueseg8t1rjbpsmq2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39721&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39721

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:07:05 +0000
 by: Dave W - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:07 UTC

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:52:34 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>Yes its just data as far as the transmitter is concerned. As long as the
>receiver can tell the difference and decode them accordingly of course.
>Looking at my old Pure the other day, there are now very few dab stations
>out there compared with the plus. Do we think eventually, DAB will close all
>the old format stations down and use plus for everything?
> Brian
What do you mean "very few"? All BBC channels are still DAB. I found a
link to Pure's update facility given on this thread in Home Owners
Hub, which appeared to work but ended with ERROR in the display. I
emailed Pure and they said my serial number on the Pure Evoke-1S
(152070BV034550) was old and before DAB+ was defined, so the radio
does not have the hardware to change to DAB+. They offered me a
discount on a current model.
--
Dave W

Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux

<k4s7joF9sqqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39737&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39737

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 13:24:09 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 13:24 UTC

On 11/02/2023 11:07, Dave W wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:52:34 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes its just data as far as the transmitter is concerned. As long as the
>> receiver can tell the difference and decode them accordingly of course.
>> Looking at my old Pure the other day, there are now very few dab stations
>> out there compared with the plus. Do we think eventually, DAB will close all
>> the old format stations down and use plus for everything?
>> Brian
> What do you mean "very few"? All BBC channels are still DAB.
<pedant mode>

Except for BBC Radio Cumbria, Jersey, and Guernsey.
All 64 k DAB+ Stereo HE-AAC v1

</pedant mode>

Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux

<k4tfarFforgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39746&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39746

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 00:42:03 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 00:42 UTC

On 11/02/2023 09:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Do we think eventually, DAB will close all
> the old format stations down and use plus for everything?

I hope so.
Though it won't be that great if we just get dozens and dozens of weird,
each only very slightly different, DAB+ stations all using 32 or even
24kb/s.

If the BBC DAB mux could change to DAB+ and keep the same bitrates then
they could, finally, again say truthfully that DAB is near CD quality.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux

<k4ujitFl3p6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39754&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39754

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 11:00:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 11:00 UTC

Brian Gregory wrote:

> If the BBC DAB mux could change to DAB+

Previously that would have bothered me, as it would have killed-off my
Evoke3 at home and my older car radio. Newer car radio is now DAB+ and
Evoke3 has been retired in favour of internet streaming at home.

But I presume there's still plenty of non-DAB+ listeners out there?

Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux

<k4uk3dFjlo4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39755&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39755

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 11:09:34 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 11:09 UTC

On 13/02/2023 11:00, Andy Burns wrote:
> Brian Gregory wrote:
>
>> If the BBC DAB mux could change to DAB+
>
> Previously that would have bothered me, as it would have killed-off my
> Evoke3 at home and my older car radio.  Newer car radio is now DAB+
> and Evoke3 has been retired in favour of internet streaming at home.
>
> But I presume there's still plenty of non-DAB+ listeners out there?

In the words of Patrick Moore; 'we simply don't know !'

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Mixed MPEG and H264 on the same satellite mux