19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be consistent with Usenet standards.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / TV weight

SubjectAuthor
* TV weightAndy Burns
+* Re: TV weightJeff Layman
|`- Re: TV weightAndy Burns
+* Re: TV weightRoderick Stewart
|`* Re: TV weightAngus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
| `- Re: TV weightBrian Gaff
`* Re: TV weightPeter Johnson
 +- Re: TV weightAndy Burns
 `- Re: TV weightVir Campestris

1
TV weight

<k88fl0F2oj3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40183&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40183

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: TV weight
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 14:43:44 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 14:43 UTC

My elderly 40" Toshiba has been wall-mounted (at sitting head height,
not above mantelpiece height) I inherited my Dad's 43" LG, and had been
worried about re-using the old VESA mount (I seem to remember it was
only rated for 37" screens).

Well I shouldn't have worried, I had forgotten how hefty the Toshiba
was, I can barely lift it with both hands, the LG I can lift single-handed!

Re: TV weight

<tvn5nm$285tu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40184&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40184

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: TV weight
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:58:46 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:58 UTC

On 25/03/2023 14:43, Andy Burns wrote:
> My elderly 40" Toshiba has been wall-mounted (at sitting head height,
> not above mantelpiece height) I inherited my Dad's 43" LG, and had been
> worried about re-using the old VESA mount (I seem to remember it was
> only rated for 37" screens).
>
> Well I shouldn't have worried, I had forgotten how hefty the Toshiba
> was, I can barely lift it with both hands, the LG I can lift single-handed!

I'm not surprised. I'll bet the Toshiba had a really wide bezel, while
the LG has much thinner one. In fact, I would think that the overall
size of the LG is the same, or perhaps even smaller than the Tosh,
despite the increase in diagonal size.

--

Jeff

Re: TV weight

<k88kfjF3f37U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40185&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40185

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 16:06:10 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 16:06 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote:

> I'll bet the Toshiba had a really wide bezel, while the LG has much
> thinner one. In fact, I would think that the overall size of the LG is
> the same, or perhaps even smaller than the Tosh, despite the increase in
> diagonal size.

Nearly ... Toshiba is about 1cm taller and 5cm thicker,
LG is about 4cm wider.

Re: TV weight

<1p302ihe8opi9la4nhkrs43elu0rujbctt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40187&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40187

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 10:29:42 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 09:29 UTC

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 14:43:44 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>My elderly 40" Toshiba has been wall-mounted (at sitting head height,
>not above mantelpiece height) I inherited my Dad's 43" LG, and had been
>worried about re-using the old VESA mount (I seem to remember it was
>only rated for 37" screens).
>
>Well I shouldn't have worried, I had forgotten how hefty the Toshiba
>was, I can barely lift it with both hands, the LG I can lift single-handed!

I had a similar experience when I replaced my TV about a year ago.
Even though the new one was larger it was considerably lighter. Maybe
they're using cheaper materials now.

I had to buy a new wall bracket because the new TV was supported in a
different way, and I remember noticing that their capacity is often
given by weight as well as screen size.

Rod.

Re: TV weight

<memo.20230326124126.29084A@magsys.adsl.magsys.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40188&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40188

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: ang...@magsys.co.uk (Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 12:41 +0100 (BST)
 by: Angus Robertson - Ma - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 11:41 UTC

> I had a similar experience when I replaced my TV about a year ago.
> Even though the new one was larger it was considerably lighter.
> Maybe they're using cheaper materials now.

Different design, originally flat screen TVs had fluorescent tube back lighting
with a heavy metal frame, now it's much lighter LEDs back lights requiring less
support.

Angus

Re: TV weight

<tvpduh$2mq1d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40189&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40189

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 13:31:13 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 12:31 UTC

Reminds me of the Plasmas. Many of those I got the feeling needed an RSJ to
support them. No idea what must have been inside.
At least all modern tvs are narrow. It makes me wince when I look at the
old CRTs and try to lift one.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
>> I had a similar experience when I replaced my TV about a year ago.
>> Even though the new one was larger it was considerably lighter.
>> Maybe they're using cheaper materials now.
>
> Different design, originally flat screen TVs had fluorescent tube back
> lighting
> with a heavy metal frame, now it's much lighter LEDs back lights requiring
> less
> support.
>
> Angus

Re: TV weight

<i3i82ilg7ub09a9fithqicg6undam3okhu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40201&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40201

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 15:24:24 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:24 UTC

wrote:

>My elderly 40" Toshiba has been wall-mounted (at sitting head height,
>not above mantelpiece height) I inherited my Dad's 43" LG, and had been
>worried about re-using the old VESA mount (I seem to remember it was
>only rated for 37" screens).
>
>Well I shouldn't have worried, I had forgotten how hefty the Toshiba
>was, I can barely lift it with both hands, the LG I can lift single-handed!

More than 20 years ago I put a CRT TV on a bracket in the bedroom,
carefully checking the instructions for reference to weight before I
did so - there weren't any.
I don't remember how long it was there before I returned from a
weekend away to find the TV on the floor, a hole in the plasterboard
where it had been mounted and the power socket smashed where the
flying TV had tried to pull the plug out.
The TV was undamaged but the Teletext card needed to be re-seated. I
repaired the hole in the wall using the plasterboard section on the
back of the bracket but the site is still visible.
I'm pleased that it happened while I wasn't there.

Re: TV weight

<k8j92tFn1fvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40202&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40202

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 17:59:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 16:59 UTC

Peter Johnson wrote:

> More than 20 years ago I put a CRT TV on a bracket in the bedroom

I had a 14" trinitron on a swivelly shelf bracket, but it was into a
brick wall.

Re: TV weight

<u0243a$e1k6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40204&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#40204

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 20:38:18 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 19:38 UTC

On 29/03/2023 15:24, Peter Johnson wrote:
> More than 20 years ago I put a CRT TV on a bracket in the bedroom,
> carefully checking the instructions for reference to weight before I
> did so - there weren't any.
> I don't remember how long it was there before I returned from a
> weekend away to find the TV on the floor, a hole in the plasterboard
> where it had been mounted and the power socket smashed where the
> flying TV had tried to pull the plug out.
> The TV was undamaged but the Teletext card needed to be re-seated. I
> repaired the hole in the wall using the plasterboard section on the
> back of the bracket but the site is still visible.
> I'm pleased that it happened while I wasn't there.

You're lucky it didn't start a fire with all that wiring being torn up!

We still have a 14" CRT in our bedroom. It's got a freeview box, but we
hardly ever watch it. One day we'll have to work out what to install in
the space in the build in furniture that was designed for it. Modern TVs
just don't fit.

Andy

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / TV weight