Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational. -- Charles Schulz

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Re: ISP

SubjectAuthor
* ISPAndy
+- ISPWho, me?
+* ISPHarry Bloomfield Esq
|`* ISPSmokey
| `* ISPHarry Bloomfield Esq
|  `* ISPIndy Jess John
|   `- ISPHarry Bloomfield Esq
+* ISPAndy
|`* ISPRay
| `* ISPHarry Bloomfield Esq
|  `- ISPRay
`* ISPPete C
 `- ISPHarry Bloomfield Esq

1
ISP

<Y4adnYZ8upug9fD_nZ2dnUU7-KOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3969&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3969

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:47:57 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
Subject: ISP
 by: Andy - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:47 UTC

I have got a contract renew due shortly with Plusnet, have been with
them 10+ years now. Wondered what folk are using as ISP and are there
any good deals / providers people are turning to?

Re: ISP

<t4jumj$oa$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3971&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3971

From: who...@me.nul (Who, me?)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: ISP
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:21:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Who, me? - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:21 UTC

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:47:57 +0100, Andy wrote:

> I have got a contract renew due shortly with Plusnet, have been with
> them 10+ years now. Wondered what folk are using as ISP and are there
> any good deals / providers people are turning to?

Currently with BT as PN didn't offer FTTP at the time. I'd be happy to

I'm pretty sure that unless its a cable supplier all/most the ISPs use
the same networks so its really down to customer service rather than most
of the other advertorials they spout.

--
david

Re: ISP

<t4mej0$nu1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3986&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3986

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 18:04:32 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:04 UTC

Andy used his keyboard to write :
> I have got a contract renew due shortly with Plusnet, have been with them 10+
> years now. Wondered what folk are using as ISP and are there
> any good deals / providers people are turning to?

With Plusnet too, but I never just renew with them - I always make them
negotiate and compete. Better to keep a customer long term on a small
profit, than one for a year on a one off margin.

Re: ISP

<jd9v3dFot69U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3995&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3995

From: me...@privacy.net (Smokey)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 2 May 2022 11:54:21 GMT
 by: Smokey - Mon, 2 May 2022 11:54 UTC

Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
> Andy used his keyboard to write :
>> I have got a contract renew due shortly with Plusnet, have been with them 10+
>> years now. Wondered what folk are using as ISP and are there
>> any good deals / providers people are turning to?
>
> With Plusnet too, but I never just renew with them - I always make them
> negotiate and compete. Better to keep a customer long term on a small
> profit, than one for a year on a one off margin.

Virgin are/were doing a £17 deal recently if you are in a cable area ..

--
§mokey

Re: ISP

<t4or9b$8h5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3996&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3996

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 15:53:32 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 2 May 2022 14:53 UTC

Smokey brought next idea :
> Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
>> Andy used his keyboard to write :
>>> I have got a contract renew due shortly with Plusnet, have been with them
>>> 10+ years now. Wondered what folk are using as ISP and are there
>>> any good deals / providers people are turning to?
>>
>> With Plusnet too, but I never just renew with them - I always make them
>> negotiate and compete. Better to keep a customer long term on a small
>> profit, than one for a year on a one off margin.
>>

> Virgin are/were doing a £17 deal recently if you are in a cable area ..

I have their fibre at my garden gate, but for the moment at least I'm
sticking to Plusnet's fibre to the cabinet then copper for the final
200 yards. It's fast, faster than i need and I am wary of going to
fibre, wandering how easy to switch it will be once I accept fibre into
my home.

Re: ISP

<t4ot92$pbk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3997&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3997

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 16:27:31 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Mon, 2 May 2022 15:27 UTC

On 02/05/2022 15:53, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> Smokey brought next idea :
>> Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
>>> Andy used his keyboard to write :
>>>
>>> With Plusnet too, but I never just renew with them - I always make
>>> them negotiate and compete. Better to keep a customer long term on a
>>> small profit, than one for a year on a one off margin.
>>>

>> Virgin are/were doing a £17 deal recently if you are in a cable area ..
>
> I have their fibre at my garden gate, but for the moment at least I'm
> sticking to Plusnet's fibre to the cabinet then copper for the final 200
> yards. It's fast, faster than i need and I am wary of going to fibre,
> wandering how easy to switch it will be once I accept fibre into my home.

VM have their own network. Using their connection doesn't give you a
fibre connection you can reuse for BT, Plusnet et al.

As a VM user I can say that their network rarely fails, it usually takes
a lightning strike or a vehicle accident destroying their distribution
box to knock them out of a connection.

Jim

Re: ISP

<yoqdnXhAJ6_VnO3_nZ2dnUU7-enNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3999&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3999

Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 17:05:28 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
 by: Andy - Mon, 2 May 2022 16:05 UTC

On 30/04/2022 17:47, Andy wrote:
> I have got a contract renew due shortly with Plusnet, have been with
> them 10+ years now. Wondered what folk are using as ISP and are there
> any good deals / providers people are turning to?

Just as an update, I'm not in a VM area though have had it when I lived
in another part of England 20 years ago.
We have just had KCOM dig up the streets locally and they are doing £20
a month off deals ie £44 price £24pm for 24 months but then the price
rises to £44 pm again.

Talk Talk are offering a fibre upgrade something like the 30 rate price
but you get 67 but I've not heard good news about talk talk.

Wonder if Plusnet would match it? They seem to be offering deals with
gift cards for new customers not available to existing customers atm.

Re: ISP

<t4p8hj$ige$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4000&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4000

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 19:39:49 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 2 May 2022 18:39 UTC

Indy Jess John wrote :
> VM have their own network. Using their connection doesn't give you a fibre
> connection you can reuse for BT, Plusnet et al.

Exactly my point - move to VM fibre and it is then not so easy to move
to a better deal when you spot one.

> As a VM user I can say that their network rarely fails, it usually takes a
> lightning strike or a vehicle accident destroying their distribution box to
> knock them out of a connection.

My Plusnet has been equally reliable, as was the local hardware part
when I was with Tiscali - rather it was a continuous problems at
Tiscali's end which caused me a world of pain for the years I was with
them.

Re: ISP

<Lu-dnUxPsYG7yu3_nZ2dnUU7-XXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4001&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4001

Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 23:11:49 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
From: petc...@blackberrymoon.co.uk (Pete C)
 by: Pete C - Mon, 2 May 2022 22:11 UTC

On 30/04/2022 17:47, Andy wrote:
> I have got a contract renew due shortly with Plusnet, have been with
> them 10+ years now. Wondered what folk are using as ISP and are there
> any good deals / providers people are turning to?
I upgraded my PN account about a year ago to something faster. It isn't
the cheapest but on the rare occasion I need help.....it's in
English!That is worth paying for.

--
Pete C

Re: ISP

<t4qjmp$n9l$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4003&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4003

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 06:56:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Tue, 3 May 2022 06:56 UTC

On 2 May 2022 at 17:05:28 BST, "Andy" <user@example.net> wrote:

> On 30/04/2022 17:47, Andy wrote:
>> I have got a contract renew due shortly with Plusnet, have been with
>> them 10+ years now. Wondered what folk are using as ISP and are there
>> any good deals / providers people are turning to?
>
> Just as an update, I'm not in a VM area though have had it when I lived
> in another part of England 20 years ago.
> We have just had KCOM dig up the streets locally and they are doing £20
> a month off deals ie £44 price £24pm for 24 months but then the price
> rises to £44 pm again.
>
> Talk Talk are offering a fibre upgrade something like the 30 rate price
> but you get 67 but I've not heard good news about talk talk.

Nothing really wrong with TalkTalk that isn't shared with other ISP's using
the same Openreach wires.
I used them for years in two houses in different parts of the country. The
actual service was excellent, very fast connections, and the one issue I had
at the start of the contract, they got Openreach out to fix it within 24
hours.
After that I had no reason to complain.

--
Old recording studios were equipped with a device which took the place of autotune, it was called a 'door'. If the performer was inadequate, they never got past the door.

Re: ISP

<t4rh87$uf7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4023&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4023

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 16:20:38 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Tue, 3 May 2022 15:20 UTC

Ray was thinking very hard :
> Nothing really wrong with TalkTalk that isn't shared with other ISP's using
> the same Openreach wires.
> I used them for years in two houses in different parts of the country. The
> actual service was excellent, very fast connections, and the one issue I had
> at the start of the contract, they got Openreach out to fix it within 24
> hours.

That is at odds with my experience of TT. I had slow transfer, despite
a reasonable connection speed, email would frequetly go to error.
Talking to the helpdesk wasn't very productive, even if you could get
them to understand English, rather they just sent your round in circles
with no one taking any responsibility. Add to that their database was
hacked releasing customers details out to the world and no real
compensation offered for it.

Re: ISP

<t4rha1$uuf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4024&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4024

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 16:21:36 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Tue, 3 May 2022 15:21 UTC

Pete C has brought this to us :
> I upgraded my PN account about a year ago to something faster. It isn't the
> cheapest but on the rare occasion I need help.....it's in English!That is
> worth paying for.

+1 and not much difference in cost, if you haggle with them.

Re: ISP

<t4t80k$eb3$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4028&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4028

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 06:55:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Wed, 4 May 2022 06:55 UTC

On 3 May 2022 at 16:20:38 BST, "Harry Bloomfield Esq" <a@harrym1byt.plus.com>
wrote:

> Ray was thinking very hard :
>> Nothing really wrong with TalkTalk that isn't shared with other ISP's using
>> the same Openreach wires.
>> I used them for years in two houses in different parts of the country. The
>> actual service was excellent, very fast connections, and the one issue I had
>> at the start of the contract, they got Openreach out to fix it within 24
>> hours.
>
> That is at odds with my experience of TT. I had slow transfer, despite
> a reasonable connection speed, email would frequetly go to error.
> Talking to the helpdesk wasn't very productive, even if you could get
> them to understand English, rather they just sent your round in circles
> with no one taking any responsibility. Add to that their database was
> hacked releasing customers details out to the world and no real
> compensation offered for it.

I should probably have added that I didn't use their router or their email
service.

--
“Coronavirus Worst Thing To Happen To China Since The Chinese Government” WHO Confirm