From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Plus Net
Date: 28 Apr 2022 15:31:11 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:31 UTC

My broadband speed here is stated by PN to be "between 16 Mbps and 21 Mbps
and your minimum guaranteed speed is 14.5 Mbps.". I'm getting 5 Mbps at
the moment while I am trying to download a Mac OS upgrade and a Widows
iso, estimates of 4 hours to download 4 GB.

I went to my PN Portal page and it said I could get help by text so I
followed their instructions and got a reply within 10 minutes saying there
was a fault with my line, an engineer would call and would I accept the
next available appointment. I texted back "NEXT".

The proof of the pudding etc. but no human being involved anywhere and
just had a text saying engineer booked for 3 May between 8 a.m. and 13:00.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

Re: Plus Net

<xn0nhfcy58msk3y00v@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4009&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4009

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Plus Net
Date: 3 May 2022 10:34:28 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 3 May 2022 10:34 UTC

On 28/04/2022 in message <xn0nh5qsk1s6v7800e@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>The proof of the pudding etc. but no human being involved anywhere and
>just had a text saying engineer booked for 3 May between 8 a.m. and 13:00.

Engineer turned up at 08:30 and took some readings. He then followed my
connection back from the green box and re-made every junction, he has just
left.

I now have around 30 Mb/s again which is about the max for aluminium cable
and being 650 metres from the green box, key is to hold that speed which
is plenty for my use.

PN did good :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Re: Plus Net

<xn0nhgwsda9fksl012@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4034&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4034

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 4 May 2022 13:55:59 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 4 May 2022 13:55 UTC

On 03/05/2022 in message <xn0nhfcy58msk3y00v@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>I now have around 30 Mb/s again which is about the max for aluminium cable
>and being 650 metres from the green box, key is to hold that speed which
>is plenty for my use.

Interesting, just had a call from PN stating the engineer thought my
router was faulty and should be changed. My speed is hovering around 28
Mb/s which is twice the lowest guaranteed speed and better than I expected.

The call said just call back and confirm I was willing to pay £6.99
postage, what a faff, it was an 0800 number and by the time I had pressed
1, 3, 9,3,7,5, xxx I had forgotten why I called. When I got though I had
to be transferred and got through to a lovely lady who said "this is
PlusNet in Leeds" in a broad Mumbai accent! After a while she said I
wouldn't have to pay postage as the engineer had identified a potentially
faulty router, would I hold while she ordered it. She came back after a
while, apologised for the delay and said it was on its way. I have since
had three emails and thee texts confirming this and apologising for being
put on hold!

If only my bank was this courteous.

Interestingly I don't use the PN router, I use a TP-Link Archer VR2100
connected to a Mesh WiFi system, oh well a spare router isn't a bad thing,
I will test it just in case it is faster.

Gigabit were in the are this morning surveying for FTTP but whether or not
I will still be alive when it's fitted who knows?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they

Re: Plus Net

<59e35afe68charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4035&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4035

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 15:53:28 +0100
 by: charles - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:53 UTC

In article <xn0nhgwsda9fksl012@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 in message <xn0nhfcy58msk3y00v@news.individual.net> Jeff
> Gaines wrote:

> >I now have around 30 Mb/s again which is about the max for aluminium
> >cable and being 650 metres from the green box, key is to hold that
> >speed which is plenty for my use.

> Interesting, just had a call from PN stating the engineer thought my
> router was faulty and should be changed. My speed is hovering around 28
> Mb/s which is twice the lowest guaranteed speed and better than I
> expected.

> The call said just call back and confirm I was willing to pay £6.99
> postage, what a faff, it was an 0800 number and by the time I had pressed
> 1, 3, 9,3,7,5, xxx I had forgotten why I called. When I got though I had
> to be transferred and got through to a lovely lady who said "this is
> PlusNet in Leeds" in a broad Mumbai accent! After a while she said I
> wouldn't have to pay postage as the engineer had identified a potentially
> faulty router, would I hold while she ordered it. She came back after a
> while, apologised for the delay and said it was on its way. I have since
> had three emails and thee texts confirming this and apologising for being
> put on hold!

> If only my bank was this courteous.

> Interestingly I don't use the PN router, I use a TP-Link Archer VR2100
> connected to a Mesh WiFi system, oh well a spare router isn't a bad
> thing, I will test it just in case it is faster.

> Gigabit were in the are this morning surveying for FTTP but whether or
> not I will still be alive when it's fitted who knows?

One thing I discovered when having FTTP fitted was that older cables can
seriously restrict speed. On one of my links a new cable upped my speed
from 89Mmbps to 300Mbps

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Plus Net

<t4u62h$h5i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4036&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4036

From: who...@me.nul (Who, me?)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:28:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Who, me? - Wed, 4 May 2022 15:28 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 15:53:28 +0100, charles wrote:

> One thing I discovered when having FTTP fitted was that older cables can
> seriously restrict speed. On one of my links a new cable upped my speed
> from 89Mmbps to 300Mbps

My router came with cat5e cable which was *just* long enough but as I
wanted a bit more choice of location I purchased some cat6. Dunno what
the prices are currently but some 18 months ago the cost difference was
marginal.

--
david

Re: Plus Net

<xn0nhimulr7c5c001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4044&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4044

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 5 May 2022 21:09:29 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 5 May 2022 21:09 UTC

On 04/05/2022 in message <xn0nhgwsda9fksl012@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>After a while she said I wouldn't have to pay postage as the engineer had
>identified a potentially faulty router, would I hold while she ordered it.

And now I've had an email from PN confirming I WILL be charged £6.99!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks