Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- George Santayana

aus+uk / aus.legal / Re: Cats on leashes.

SubjectAuthor
* Cats on leashes.Peter Jason
+- Re: Cats on leashes.Rod Speed
+- Re: Cats on leashes.Phil Allison
`* Re: Cats on leashes.Sylvia Else
 `* Re: Cats on leashes.Phil Allison
  +* Re: Cats on leashes.Max
  |+- Re: Cats on leashes.Phil Allison
  |`* Re: Cats on leashes.Sylvia Else
  | `- Re: Cats on leashes.Phil Allison
  +* Re: Cats on leashes.Sylvia Else
  |`- Re: Cats on leashes.Phil Allison
  `- Re: Cats on leashes.Rod Speed

1
Cats on leashes.

<qm41ng9to3rkgjqseshoru1ak2ltupnvof@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4034&group=aus.legal#4034

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Subject: Cats on leashes.
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 09:13:51 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 22:13 UTC

Yes, it's come to this. In town there was an individual walking his
cat on a leash. A cute critter (the cat) short hair was sniffing a
lamp post before resuming its leisurely stroll round the block.

What happens if a dog accosts, molests, bites & swallows this cat?
Will the judge take into account that there are far more dogs than
cats being walked at any time, and the cat owner should have
considered this?

Re: Cats on leashes.

<itbjp2Fj7phU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4036&group=aus.legal#4036

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Subject: Re: Cats on leashes.
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 09:33:02 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 22:33 UTC

Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote

> Yes, it's come to this. In town there was an individual walking his
> cat on a leash. A cute critter (the cat) short hair was sniffing a
> lamp post before resuming its leisurely stroll round the block.
> What happens if a dog accosts, molests, bites

The cat lashes out and the dog regrets it.

> & swallows this cat?

The dog gets clawed up inside.

> Will the judge

No judge will get involved.

> take into account that there are far more dogs
> than cats being walked at any time, and the
> cat owner should have considered this?

Unlikely.

Re: Cats on leashes.

<2768c408-221e-4931-a988-fd1ad51de251n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4038&group=aus.legal#4038

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 15:46:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 22:46 UTC

Peter Jason wrote:
===============
> Yes, it's come to this. In town there was an individual walking his
> cat on a leash. A cute critter (the cat) short hair was sniffing a
> lamp post before resuming its leisurely stroll round the block.

** Cool.

> What happens if a dog accosts, molests, bites & swallows this cat?

** The dog owner gets a huge fine and his arse sued off.

> Will the judge take into account that there are far more dogs than
> cats being walked at any time,

** What is the fucking dog leash for ????

....... Phil

Re: Cats on leashes.

<itbmc5FjlidU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4039&group=aus.legal#4039

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:17:25 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 23:17 UTC

On 21-Oct-21 9:13 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> Yes, it's come to this. In town there was an individual walking his
> cat on a leash. A cute critter (the cat) short hair was sniffing a
> lamp post before resuming its leisurely stroll round the block.
>
> What happens if a dog accosts, molests, bites & swallows this cat?
> Will the judge take into account that there are far more dogs than
> cats being walked at any time, and the cat owner should have
> considered this?

No. A dog owner must keep their dog under control.

Sylvia.

Re: Cats on leashes.

<ad7696f9-8662-4d29-9ca4-60d30786d75dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4041&group=aus.legal#4041

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 16:38:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 23:38 UTC

Sylvia Else wrote:
==============
> Peter Jason Nutcase wrote:
>
> > Yes, it's come to this. In town there was an individual walking his
> > cat on a leash. A cute critter (the cat) short hair was sniffing a
> > lamp post before resuming its leisurely stroll round the block.
> >
> > What happens if a dog accosts, molests, bites & swallows this cat?
> > Will the judge take into account that there are far more dogs than
> > cats being walked at any time, and the cat owner should have
> > considered this?
> >

> No. A dog owner must keep their dog under control.

** Many dog owners these day have leashes that are like fishing reels.
The line is on drum and extends to more than 10m.

One has to keep well away to avoid the dog and tripping over the line.
This cannot be legal - the rule is always "... under effective control".

....... Phil

Re: Cats on leashes.

<skq9vm$1fkn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4042&group=aus.legal#4042

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:50:13 +1100
 by: Max - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 23:50 UTC

On 21/10/2021 10:38 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:
> ==============
>> Peter Jason Nutcase wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it's come to this. In town there was an individual walking his
>>> cat on a leash. A cute critter (the cat) short hair was sniffing a
>>> lamp post before resuming its leisurely stroll round the block.
>>>
>>> What happens if a dog accosts, molests, bites & swallows this cat?
>>> Will the judge take into account that there are far more dogs than
>>> cats being walked at any time, and the cat owner should have
>>> considered this?
>>>

>> No. A dog owner must keep their dog under control.
>

> ** Many dog owners these day have leashes that are like fishing reels.
> The line is on drum and extends to more than 10m.
>
> One has to keep well away to avoid the dog and tripping over the line.
> This cannot be legal - the rule is always "... under effective control".

As long as the dog doesn't actually bite anyone or another animal then
there is no real problem.

Re: Cats on leashes.

<itbod8Fk0mfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4043&group=aus.legal#4043

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 10:52:08 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 23:52 UTC

On 21-Oct-21 10:38 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:
> ==============
>> Peter Jason Nutcase wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it's come to this. In town there was an individual walking his
>>> cat on a leash. A cute critter (the cat) short hair was sniffing a
>>> lamp post before resuming its leisurely stroll round the block.
>>>
>>> What happens if a dog accosts, molests, bites & swallows this cat?
>>> Will the judge take into account that there are far more dogs than
>>> cats being walked at any time, and the cat owner should have
>>> considered this?
>>>

>> No. A dog owner must keep their dog under control.
>

> ** Many dog owners these day have leashes that are like fishing reels.
> The line is on drum and extends to more than 10m.
>
> One has to keep well away to avoid the dog and tripping over the line.
> This cannot be legal - the rule is always "... under effective control".
>

> ...... Phil

It quite possible isn't legal, but until it gets tested in court, no
one's quite sure, so those tasked with enforcing the law turn a blind eye.

Sylvia.

Re: Cats on leashes.

<7884b693-f9dc-4851-94be-fd7a973b71f4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4044&group=aus.legal#4044

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 17:01:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 00:01 UTC

Max the Maniac vomited:
======================

> > One has to keep well away to avoid the dog and tripping over the line.
> > This cannot be legal - the rule is always "... under effective control".
> >
> As long as the dog doesn't actually bite anyone or another animal then
> there is no real problem.

** Fucking garbage.

Re: Cats on leashes.

<10378a96-6b44-44b0-9fe5-83315e725f74n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4045&group=aus.legal#4045

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 17:31:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 00:31 UTC

Sylvia Else wrote:
==============

> >> No. A dog owner must keep their dog under control.
> >

> > ** Many dog owners these day have leashes that are like fishing reels.
> > The line is on drum and extends to more than 10m.
> >
> > One has to keep well away to avoid the dog and tripping over the line.
> > This cannot be legal - the rule is always "... under effective control"..
> >

> It quite possible isn't legal, but until it gets tested in court, no
> one's quite sure, so those tasked with enforcing the law turn a blind eye..

** From a dog handling advice site:

The Trouble With Retractable Leashes

No discussion of leashes should overlook the popular, but highly problematic retractable variety.
Many dog trainers and veterinarians warn that retractable leashes teach dogs to pull,
don’t offer enough control and, worst of all, pose a danger to dogs, their owners, and others.
One of the most common problems is owners who can’t lock the retracting mechanism fast
enough when their dog runs towards traffic, another dog, or people.
The thin cords themselves can be a hazard when they wind and tighten around dogs and people,
causing lacerations, rope burns, and falls.
Finally, the hard plastic retracting mechanism can break, or drop and hit people and dogs.
Retractable leashes are not a recommended restraint for dogs, no matter how well behaved they
are on the leash.

** Not keeping you dog under "effective control" attracts a $1200+ fine in NSW.

Think the police or council rangers would have no trouble in court.

....... Phil

Re: Cats on leashes.

<itbruhFkkc4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4047&group=aus.legal#4047

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 11:52:33 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 00:52 UTC

On 21-Oct-21 10:50 am, Max wrote:
> On 21/10/2021 10:38 am, Phil Allison wrote:
>> Sylvia Else wrote:
>> ==============

>>> No. A dog owner must keep their dog under control.
>>

>> **  Many dog owners these day have leashes that are like fishing reels.
>>       The line is on drum and extends to more than 10m.
>>
>>      One has to keep well away to avoid the dog and tripping over the
>> line.
>>      This cannot be legal - the rule is always  "...  under effective
>> control".
>>

> As long as the dog doesn't actually bite anyone or another animal then
> there is no real problem.

The issue here is that the law is intended, amongst other things, to
protect people from being bitten, so the question is not whether the
animal will do so, but whether the person at the other end of the leash
is able to prevent it from doing so.

Sylvia.

Re: Cats on leashes.

<itc037FlbgpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4049&group=aus.legal#4049

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 13:03:15 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 02:03 UTC

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote
> Sylvia Else wrote
>> Peter Jason wrote

>> > Yes, it's come to this. In town there was an individual walking his
>> > cat on a leash. A cute critter (the cat) short hair was sniffing a
>> > lamp post before resuming its leisurely stroll round the block.
>> >
>> > What happens if a dog accosts, molests, bites & swallows this cat?
>> > Will the judge take into account that there are far more dogs than
>> > cats being walked at any time, and the cat owner should have
>> > considered this?
>> >

>> No. A dog owner must keep their dog under control.

> Many dog owners these day have leashes that are like fishing reels.
> The line is on drum and extends to more than 10m.

Not very many at all do.

> One has to keep well away to avoid the dog and tripping over the line.

> This cannot be legal

Corse it is.

> - the rule is always "... under effective control".

It still is even with that type of lead because the dog cant do anything it
wants.

Re: Cats on leashes.

<d0e20f39-a51d-4a1b-80e0-c9aed63150a5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4052&group=aus.legal#4052

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 19:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 02:46 UTC

Sylvia Else wrote:
==================
> Max the Moron wrote:
> >
> > As long as the dog doesn't actually bite anyone or another animal then
> > there is no real problem.
> >
> The issue here is that the law is intended, amongst other things, to
> protect people from being bitten, so the question is not whether the
> animal will do so, but whether the person at the other end of the leash
> is able to prevent it from doing so.

** Way to complicated wording for low IQ retards like Max and Rod.
Using a leash is for the benefit of others - not you or the dog !!.

A short leash makes it appear to others that your dog is under control and no immediate hazard to you, your dog, cat or child.
The phrase " short leash" is part of the language re being in control.

Long or retractable leashes offer no such assurance to others who may be about.