Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle. -- Steinbach

aus+uk / uk.rec.audio / Re: Democratising DAB

SubjectAuthor
* Democratising DABRJH
`* Re: Democratising DABAndy Burns
 `* Re: Democratising DABRJH
  +* Re: Democratising DABBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
  |`- Re: Democratising DABtony sayer
  `* Re: Democratising DABtony sayer
   `* Re: Democratising DABRJH
    `- Re: Democratising DABtony sayer

1
Democratising DAB

<s4s0ne$9v5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=403&group=uk.rec.audio#403

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Democratising DAB
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 11:04:14 +0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sat, 10 Apr 2021 11:04 UTC

Well, sort of. Seems there's now a route for community broadcasters:

https://web.sheffieldlive.org/sheffield-live-welcomes-dab-licence-award/

Interesting explanation of how it all works.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Democratising DAB

<iddhi3Ffp4pU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=404&group=uk.rec.audio#404

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Re: Democratising DAB
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 12:47:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 10 Apr 2021 11:47 UTC

RJH wrote:

> Well, sort of. Seems there's now a route for community broadcasters:
> https://web.sheffieldlive.org/sheffield-live-welcomes-dab-licence-award/

There were small-scale DAB trials from 2015 (to last december?)

Re: Democratising DAB

<s4s5t2$hui$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=405&group=uk.rec.audio#405

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 12:32:34 +0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sat, 10 Apr 2021 12:32 UTC

On 10 Apr 2021 at 12:47:14 BST, "Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> RJH wrote:
>

>> Well, sort of. Seems there's now a route for community broadcasters:
>> https://web.sheffieldlive.org/sheffield-live-welcomes-dab-licence-award/
>
> There were small-scale DAB trials from 2015 (to last december?)

Ah, OK, thanks, I haven't kept up with it. Seems to have worked for Sheffield
Live and other local stations, hopefully. Currently £65k for a mono DAB
licence . . .

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Democratising DAB

<s4uf9m$467$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=406&group=uk.rec.audio#406

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 10:25:09 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sun, 11 Apr 2021 09:25 UTC

That is blatantly profiteering. In my view some attempt should be made to
close down all the fm pirates most of which these days are drug funded,
except the few bedroom enthusiast types, and make it really cheap to run a
station, with all costs not fore then 5k a hear including prs. Then we could
do internet and local fm and may get into the system some innovation rather
than the massive networks we have now all playing the same dross and with
huge advertising breaks that make you turn off.
Of course I expect to see pigs flying before that happens.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"RJH" <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote in message
> On 10 Apr 2021 at 12:47:14 BST, "Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>
>> RJH wrote:
>>

>>> Well, sort of. Seems there's now a route for community broadcasters:
>>>
>>> https://web.sheffieldlive.org/sheffield-live-welcomes-dab-licence-award/
>>
>> There were small-scale DAB trials from 2015 (to last december?)
>
> Ah, OK, thanks, I haven't kept up with it. Seems to have worked for
> Sheffield
> Live and other local stations, hopefully. Currently �65k for a mono DAB
> licence . . .
>
> --
> Cheers, Rob

Re: Democratising DAB

<bUG1ryccotfgFwQ6@bancom.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=427&group=uk.rec.audio#427

From: ton...@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 14:41:48 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Tue, 20 Apr 2021 13:41 UTC

In article <s4s5t2$hui$1@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
scribeth thus
>On 10 Apr 2021 at 12:47:14 BST, "Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>
>> RJH wrote:
>>

>>> Well, sort of. Seems there's now a route for community broadcasters:
>>> https://web.sheffieldlive.org/sheffield-live-welcomes-dab-licence-award/
>>
>> There were small-scale DAB trials from 2015 (to last december?)
>
>Ah, OK, thanks, I haven't kept up with it. Seems to have worked for Sheffield
>Live and other local stations, hopefully. Currently £65k for a mono DAB
>licence . . .

Well thats not always the case!, it depends if its a local, regional or
national MUX..

We've held a SSDAB licence for a few years now, useful won't make a
fortune but as we have broadcast facilities and equipment's and sites at
the right money should make a few bob;!...

--
Tony Sayer

Re: Democratising DAB

<e0V0T+cSutfgFwS3@bancom.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=428&group=uk.rec.audio#428

From: ton...@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 14:48:02 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Tue, 20 Apr 2021 13:48 UTC

In article <s4uf9m$467$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff (Sofa)
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> scribeth thus
>That is blatantly profiteering. In my view some attempt should be made to
>close down all the fm pirates most of which these days are drug funded,
>except the few bedroom enthusiast types, and make it really cheap to run a
>station, with all costs not fore then 5k a hear including prs. Then we could
>do internet and local fm and may get into the system some innovation rather
>than the massive networks we have now all playing the same dross and with
>huge advertising breaks that make you turn off.
> Of course I expect to see pigs flying before that happens.
> Brian

Its not all as simple as tat Brian. For instance Pirates?, well if
pirates hadn't come along we'd still have the Home, Light and Third
programs!.

Pirates are very difficult to stop these days with the way they can now
operate and of course streaming does suffice for many..

Community stations?, still cost to run, studios, office, rent, rates
overheads PRS and PPL etc etc all add up!..

Some smaller stations do get on air on small scale DAB, on our local
small scale MUX we have around 17 stations !...

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=9A&live=183&liste=2&lang=en

--
Tony Sayer

Re: Democratising DAB

<s5mp45$1n73$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=435&group=uk.rec.audio#435

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 14:40:05 +0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 20 Apr 2021 14:40 UTC

On 20 Apr 2021 at 14:41:48 BST, "tony sayer" <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <s4s5t2$hui$1@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
> scribeth thus

>>> There were small-scale DAB trials from 2015 (to last december?)
>>
>> Ah, OK, thanks, I haven't kept up with it. Seems to have worked for Sheffield
>> Live and other local stations, hopefully. Currently £65k for a mono DAB
>> licence . . .
>>

> Well thats not always the case!, it depends if its a local, regional or
> national MUX..
>
> We've held a SSDAB licence for a few years now, useful won't make a
> fortune but as we have broadcast facilities and equipment's and sites at
> the right money should make a few bob;!...

I'm not sure which type of licence she's talking about there, but I'd doubt
they'd need/want anything more than local. I think the other point is the
clubbing together.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Democratising DAB

<Ua+WoQe9PzfgFwQr@bancom.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=440&group=uk.rec.audio#440

From: ton...@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 21:05:17 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Tue, 20 Apr 2021 20:05 UTC

In article <s5mp45$1n73$1@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
scribeth thus
>On 20 Apr 2021 at 14:41:48 BST, "tony sayer" <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In article <s4s5t2$hui$1@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
>> scribeth thus

>>> Ah, OK, thanks, I haven't kept up with it. Seems to have worked for Sheffield
>>> Live and other local stations, hopefully. Currently £65k for a mono DAB
>>> licence . . .
>>>

>> Well thats not always the case!, it depends if its a local, regional or
>> national MUX..
>>
>> We've held a SSDAB licence for a few years now, useful won't make a
>> fortune but as we have broadcast facilities and equipment's and sites at
>> the right money should make a few bob;!...
>
>I'm not sure which type of licence she's talking about there, but I'd doubt
>they'd need/want anything more than local. I think the other point is the
>clubbing together.

She hasn't changed much!, used to be with Cambridge Community Radio back
in 1990's!

She was right around 10 years ago the big MUX operators would charge
that to be in the MUX, deals are there to be done these days but as she
said their more into local broadcasting and small scale DAD can do that
theres no real definition of what is small scale as such but usually TX
powers are of 100 to 300 watts ERP with limited defined coverage areas.
With the way it works you can add another Tx filler to cover the area
on the same frequency one of the joys of OFDM

What has changed is the coder software is now open source and most any
PC can operate it, then you need one of those "all things to all men
modulator radios" around 500 UKP then the Band 3 Class A power amp thats
expensive and costs a bit to run in mains power, and then the output
filter around another couple of grand plus aerials and site rental and
thats more or less all thats needed...
--
Tony Sayer