The Army needs leaders the way a foot needs a big toe. -- Bill Murray

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Re: Money

SubjectAuthor
* MoneyJim S
+- MoneyRay
+- MoneyHarry Bloomfield Esq
+* MoneyOliver
|`- MoneyHarry Bloomfield Esq
+* MoneyWho, me?
|`* Moneyboggy
| `- MoneyHarry Bloomfield Esq
`* MoneyIndy Jess John
 +- MoneyJim S
 `- MoneyHarry Bloomfield Esq

1
Money

<MPG.3ceb9eae6bf1e4f6989682@reader.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4105&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4105

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Money
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 00:35:50 +0100
 by: Jim S - Sun, 15 May 2022 23:35 UTC

Does anyone here still using money/notes/coins?
I seldom use my debit card either although I do use my credit card to
get more protection, and pay it off when the bill comes in.
Where will it go?

--
Jim S

Re: Money

<t5srnl$958$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4106&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4106

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Money
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 06:41:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Mon, 16 May 2022 06:41 UTC

On 16 May 2022 at 00:35:50 BST, "Jim S" <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> Does anyone here still using money/notes/coins?
> I seldom use my debit card either although I do use my credit card to
> get more protection, and pay it off when the bill comes in.
> Where will it go?

I rarely have any legal tender on me, relying on cards or Apple Pay on the
phone.
We recently visited a large seaside town and picked a large car park virtually
empty on a fine Sunday morning.
The pay machine only accepted coins, bit of a bugger. I'm so used to paying
with an app.
We scraped the required coinage together from my wifes purse.
On return 4 hours later the car park still only contained our car and 4
others.
Hardly surprising really.
Parking machines on the roads surrounding it all accepted payment by card or
app.
--
Admit nothing, even on your deathbed.
You might suddenly get better.

Re: Money

<t5ss2e$b8g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4107&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4107

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 07:47:44 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 16 May 2022 06:47 UTC

Jim S wrote on 16/05/2022 :
> Does anyone here still using money/notes/coins?
> I seldom use my debit card either although I do use my credit card to
> get more protection, and pay it off when the bill comes in.

I've not used cash for many years, apart from very rare exceptions. I
don't use cards either, I normally use my phone, but carry cards as
back up. Luckily I do - A few weeks ago Lidl's entire contactless
system failed, so my phone was useless for paying. I had to insert a
card and struggle to remember the pin for it.

I have some small change in my pocket, which has been in my pocket two
years - I keep forgetting to drop it in a charity box.

Re: Money

<t5t0fq$a4m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4109&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4109

From: ofs...@blackyonder.co.uk (Oliver)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:03:06 +0100
 by: Oliver - Mon, 16 May 2022 08:03 UTC

On 16/05/2022 00:35, Jim S wrote:
> Does anyone here still using money/notes/coins?
> I seldom use my debit card either although I do use my credit card to
> get more protection, and pay it off when the bill comes in.
> Where will it go?

I regularly use the local street market to buy fruit and veg - £1 per
bowl is the norm. Apart from that it's card - increasingly contactless.
Even for the Big Issue.

And we have to remember to keep a £1 coin for a supermarket trolley.

--
Oliver

Re: Money

<t5t3l3$1fg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4111&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4111

From: who...@me.nul (Who, me?)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 08:57:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Who, me? - Mon, 16 May 2022 08:57 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022 00:35:50 +0100, Jim S wrote:

> Does anyone here still using money/notes/coins?
> I seldom use my debit card either although I do use my credit card to
> get more protection, and pay it off when the bill comes in.
> Where will it go?

Like you its mostly credit cards these days. Cash is mainly for
grandchildren and the newspaper delivery still prefers a cheque.

We keep some change and notes in wallet/purse for those odd occasions
when they are needed.

--
david

Re: Money

<t5t813$en5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4112&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4112

From: bog...@peatbogs.co.uk (boggy)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 11:11:42 +0100
 by: boggy - Mon, 16 May 2022 10:11 UTC

On 16/05/2022 09:57, Who, me? wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2022 00:35:50 +0100, Jim S wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here still using money/notes/coins?
>> I seldom use my debit card either although I do use my credit card to
>> get more protection, and pay it off when the bill comes in.
>> Where will it go?
>
> Like you its mostly credit cards these days. Cash is mainly for
> grandchildren and the newspaper delivery still prefers a cheque.
>
> We keep some change and notes in wallet/purse for those odd occasions
> when they are needed.

From the other side of the coin(!), we started using a card reader for
our fund raising Christmas Tree sales during the lockdown.

It is a popular option, although many still pay by cash, and saves us
having thousands of pounds in cash stashed in a biscuit tin. We also
take the reader with us on deliveries which is really useful too.

There is a cost on each transaction but it is minimal and hasn't had
much effect on the overall funds raised.

Cash is very much on its way out but may well die a lingering death...

--

boggy

Re: Money

<t5t9p1$413$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4114&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4114

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 11:41:39 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 16 May 2022 10:41 UTC

Oliver laid this down on his screen :
> I regularly use the local street market to buy fruit and veg - £1 per bowl is
> the norm. Apart from that it's card - increasingly contactless. Even for the
> Big Issue.
>
> And we have to remember to keep a £1 coin for a supermarket trolley.

For those, I have a token which is attached to my house keys. I had to
modify the hole in the token, to enable it to accept a small tiewrap
flat, to fit in some trolleys.

Re: Money

<t5t9vi$5f7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4115&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4115

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 11:45:08 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 16 May 2022 10:45 UTC

boggy laid this down on his screen :
> From the other side of the coin(!), we started using a card reader for our
> fund raising Christmas Tree sales during the lockdown.
>
> It is a popular option, although many still pay by cash, and saves us having
> thousands of pounds in cash stashed in a biscuit tin. We also take the
> reader with us on deliveries which is really useful too.

When it first began, I asked a few till operators which they preffered
cash or contactless card - all said they preffered the card payments,
much quicker and less error prone.

Re: Money

<t5tbhk$hua$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4116&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4116

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 12:11:47 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Mon, 16 May 2022 11:11 UTC

On 16/05/2022 00:35, Jim S wrote:
> Does anyone here still using money/notes/coins?
> I seldom use my debit card either although I do use my credit card to
> get more protection, and pay it off when the bill comes in.
> Where will it go?

I do. There are some shops that only take card payments but most of the
shops I use are happy to take cash, and one of them has charity
collection boxes by the till for loose coins in the change.

I haven't got a smartphone, and by using a hole in the wall machine to
get my cash I help keep it there rather than have it removed.

Jim

Re: Money

<MPG.3cec5f50d72f6a29989688@reader.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4118&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4118

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 14:17:36 +0100
 by: Jim S - Mon, 16 May 2022 13:17 UTC

In article <t5tbhk$hua$1@dont-email.me>,
bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com says...

> On 16/05/2022 00:35, Jim S wrote:
> > Does anyone here still using money/notes/coins?
> > I seldom use my debit card either although I do use my credit card to
> > get more protection, and pay it off when the bill comes in.
> > Where will it go?
> >

> I do. There are some shops that only take card payments but most of the
> shops I use are happy to take cash, and one of them has charity
> collection boxes by the till for loose coins in the change.
>
> I haven't got a smartphone, and by using a hole in the wall machine to
> get my cash I help keep it there rather than have it removed.
>
> Jim

Having read the scare stories about cash machines I have not used them
for years. Up until recently I got any 'spending money' from cashback at
the supermarket. Now it's all done on my fingerprint/face protected
smartphone. Even the window cleaner and icecream van take card/phone.
I suspect it won't be long before the supermarkets use facial scans.

--
Jim S

Re: Money

<t5ue31$4jo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4119&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4119

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 22:01:20 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 16 May 2022 21:01 UTC

on 16/05/2022, Indy Jess John supposed :
> I haven't got a smartphone, and by using a hole in the wall machine to get my
> cash I help keep it there rather than have it removed.

Why try to preserve something which no longer has a valid function?
Things have moved on and cash is unecessary for most things. You can
easily loose or be robbed of cash - much more difficult is you use a
Smartphone and much easier to keep control of your money, because every
spend is logged.