To add insult to injury. -- Phaedrus

aus+uk / aus.aviation / Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

SubjectAuthor
* An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombskeithr0
+* Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic BombsDaryl
|+* Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic BombsPhil Allison
||`- Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic BombsDaryl
|`* Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombskeithr0
| +- Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic BombsPhil Allison
| `* Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic BombsDaryl
|  `- Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombskeithr0
`* Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic BombsFalscher Bruce
 `- Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic BombsPhil Allison

1
An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

<ih90ukFf6k7U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=410&group=aus.aviation#410

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Subject: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 17:44:21 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Thu, 27 May 2021 07:44 UTC

https://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm

Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

<ih9801FgibaU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=411&group=aus.aviation#411

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Subject: Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 19:44:31 +1000
 by: Daryl - Thu, 27 May 2021 09:44 UTC

On 27/5/21 5:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> https://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm

Amazing pics.
I have a box of photos here that my father took in 1946 in Hiroshima
showing the devastation caused by the H bomb.
He destroyed many of the graphic photos (pic of the outline of a person
burnt into a wall) because they upset him too much.
Eventually the photos will be donated to the war memorial.

--
Daryl

Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

<1802b472-7600-4abd-b2e3-9988fc2513bfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=412&group=aus.aviation#412

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 03:13:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Thu, 27 May 2021 10:13 UTC

Daryl wrote:
=========

> I have a box of photos here that my father took in 1946 in Hiroshima
> showing the devastation caused by the H bomb.

** You mean the " A-bomb" .

H-bombs came along a bit later.

..... Phil

Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

<ih9b5eFh480U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=413&group=aus.aviation#413

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 20:38:37 +1000
 by: Daryl - Thu, 27 May 2021 10:38 UTC

On 27/5/21 8:13 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> Daryl wrote:
> =========
>>

>> I have a box of photos here that my father took in 1946 in Hiroshima
>> showing the devastation caused by the H bomb.
>
> ** You mean the " A-bomb" .
>
> H-bombs came along a bit later.

Yes.

--
Daryl

Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

<ihbhldFu5plU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=414&group=aus.aviation#414

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 16:41:48 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 28 May 2021 06:41 UTC

On 27/05/2021 7:44 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 27/5/21 5:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> https://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm
>

> Amazing pics.
> I have a box of photos here that my father took in 1946 in Hiroshima
> showing the devastation caused by the H bomb.
> He destroyed many of the graphic photos (pic of the outline of a person
> burnt into a wall) because they upset him too much.
> Eventually the photos will be donated to the war memorial.

The Hiroshima Peace Park is a eerie place maybe because of the thousands
who died in milli-seconds OTOH they were probably the lucky ones,
thousands more died in agony from burns or radiation poisoning.

There is the question of why the bomb was dropped where it was over a
residential area. Hiroshima was a legitimate military target, but that
was the docks a 20 minute drive from ground zero. It may have been
because there is a unique T shaped bridge that made an easy target
marker, or sinisterly to see what happened if you dropped an atom bomb
on people.

Actually more people died from the fire bombing of Tokyo than from the
Atom bomb in Hiroshima.

Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

<1909ba4f-b98a-4c3e-9458-8c69e54cdfb9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=415&group=aus.aviation#415

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 00:47:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Fri, 28 May 2021 07:47 UTC

keithr0 wrote:
============

> There is the question of why the bomb was dropped where it was over a
> residential area. Hiroshima was a legitimate military target, but that
> was the docks a 20 minute drive from ground zero. It may have been
> because there is a unique T shaped bridge that made an easy target
> marker, or sinisterly to see what happened if you dropped an atom bomb
> on people.
>
> Actually more people died from the fire bombing of Tokyo than from the
> Atom bomb in Hiroshima.

** The Tokyo fire bombing (using Napalm) was a 324 plane ( B29s) raid on one evening.
Destroyed 16 square miles, in the center of the city.
80,000+ citizens died, many from asphyxiation as the fire consumed the available oxygen.
The Japanese military & Govt do not bat an eye lid.

Only a belief that the US was able to nuke every Japanese city had any effect.
Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not even enough.
The military refused to budge, preferring to martyr the entire population.
Finally, the Emperor had to take control and insist on a full surrender.

It was a well calculated bluff, as the US only had a few bombs at the time.

The Wikis on the topic are rather good.

...... Phil

Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

<ihc32jF2vjgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=416&group=aus.aviation#416

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 21:38:56 +1000
 by: Daryl - Fri, 28 May 2021 11:38 UTC

On 28/5/21 4:41 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 27/05/2021 7:44 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 27/5/21 5:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>> https://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm
>>

>> Amazing pics.
>> I have a box of photos here that my father took in 1946 in Hiroshima
>> showing the devastation caused by the H bomb.
>> He destroyed many of the graphic photos (pic of the outline of a
>> person burnt into a wall) because they upset him too much.
>> Eventually the photos will be donated to the war memorial.
>>
> The Hiroshima Peace Park is a eerie place maybe because of the thousands
> who died in milli-seconds OTOH they were probably the lucky ones,
> thousands more died in agony from burns or radiation poisoning.

That's a place I'd like to visit one day.
My wife has been to Auschwitz and said that it felt eerie, a definite
feeling that something bad happened there, no doubt there is something
similar in Hiroshima.

--
Daryl

Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

<ihc5o4F3f7gU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=417&group=aus.aviation#417

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 22:24:37 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 28 May 2021 12:24 UTC

On 28/05/2021 9:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 28/5/21 4:41 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>>

>>> Amazing pics.
>>> I have a box of photos here that my father took in 1946 in Hiroshima
>>> showing the devastation caused by the H bomb.
>>> He destroyed many of the graphic photos (pic of the outline of a
>>> person burnt into a wall) because they upset him too much.
>>> Eventually the photos will be donated to the war memorial.
>>>
>> The Hiroshima Peace Park is a eerie place maybe because of the
>> thousands who died in milli-seconds OTOH they were probably the lucky
>> ones, thousands more died in agony from burns or radiation poisoning.
>
> That's a place I'd like to visit one day.
> My wife has been to Auschwitz and said that it felt eerie, a definite
> feeling that something bad happened there, no doubt there is something
> similar in Hiroshima.

I've been to Hiroshima a couple of times, but to the Peace Park, once
was enough, it's heavy stuff.

Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

<9a359f1d-98f2-4740-be49-4d22a5d88fd8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=423&group=aus.aviation#423

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:26:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruc...@topmail.co.nz (Falscher Bruce)
 by: Falscher Bruce - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 02:26 UTC

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 3:44:22 PM UTC+8, keithr0 wrote:
> https://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm
I didn't know they built so many plutonium gun types before figuring out that it wouldn't work.

Re: An illustrated guide to the Atomic Bombs

<45ee770e-a7cb-4f61-82b6-5510569ca9c2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=424&group=aus.aviation#424

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:43:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 02:43 UTC

Falscher Bruce wrote:

> > https://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Loading/Bomb_Guide.htm
>
> I didn't know they built so many plutonium gun types before figuring out that it wouldn't work.

** See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_Man_(nuclear_bomb)

....... Phil