From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Rail Conditions
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 17:12:55 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:12 UTC

Perhaps this is a question that Anna can answer as he will likely have
much more ground experience as well as instruction.

What is the best way to determine how often a track sees traffic?

Rails with a proper sheen on them see regular use, in my experience.
Those with a somewhat faded sheen and a bit of fine dust on them see use
though not as often as the aforementioned.

Tracks that are abandoned or see next to no traffic will often have no
sheen on their rails or be even greenish in colour.

In any event, regardless of a track's condition, a plethora or reasons
make it strongly advisable to stay off of it. One does not know if the
metal's owner has decided to reactivate them or just to run very
occasional equipment over it.

Re: Rail Conditions

<jpml8gF2b4vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41538&group=uk.railway#41538

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Rail Conditions
Date: 29 Sep 2022 22:41:20 GMT
 by: Marland - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 22:41 UTC

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Perhaps this is a question that Anna can answer as he will likely have
> much more ground experience as well as instruction.
>
> What is the best way to determine how often a track sees traffic?
>
> Rails with a proper sheen on them see regular use, in my experience.
> Those with a somewhat faded sheen and a bit of fine dust on them see use
> though not as often as the aforementioned.
>
> Tracks that are abandoned or see next to no traffic will often have no
> sheen on their rails or be even greenish in colour.
>
> In any event, regardless of a track's condition, a plethora or reasons
> make it strongly advisable to stay off of it. One does not know if the
> metal's owner has decided to reactivate them or just to run very
> occasional equipment over it.

I don’t really think you can completely disregard a tracks
condition,naturally there are less around now than in the late 1960’s or
early seventies but there is the odd bit of track still left down in an
abandoned or moribund state, and it is fairly obvious that no rail vehicle
is suddenly going to appear and run you over, certainly not at a speed
where you would be caught out. In any case once small trees start growing
through the ballast you can be fairly sure that nowt can run. Often there
are other clues such as level crossing flange ways full of compacted debris
or temporary fences placed across track to discourage trespass at level
and footpath crossings.

GH

Re: Rail Conditions

<th72nd$g7l$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41582&group=uk.railway#41582

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 16:41:33 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 15:41 UTC

On 29/09/2022 23:41, Marland wrote:
> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Perhaps this is a question that Anna can answer as he will likely have
>> much more ground experience as well as instruction.
>>
>> What is the best way to determine how often a track sees traffic?
>>
>> Rails with a proper sheen on them see regular use, in my experience.
>> Those with a somewhat faded sheen and a bit of fine dust on them see use
>> though not as often as the aforementioned.
>>
>> Tracks that are abandoned or see next to no traffic will often have no
>> sheen on their rails or be even greenish in colour.
>>
>> In any event, regardless of a track's condition, a plethora or reasons
>> make it strongly advisable to stay off of it. One does not know if the
>> metal's owner has decided to reactivate them or just to run very
>> occasional equipment over it.
>>

> I don’t really think you can completely disregard a tracks
> condition,naturally there are less around now than in the late 1960’s or
> early seventies but there is the odd bit of track still left down in an
> abandoned or moribund state, and it is fairly obvious that no rail vehicle
> is suddenly going to appear and run you over, certainly not at a speed
> where you would be caught out. In any case once small trees start growing
> through the ballast you can be fairly sure that nowt can run. Often there
> are other clues such as level crossing flange ways full of compacted debris
> or temporary fences placed across track to discourage trespass at level
> and footpath crossings.
>
> GH

All valid points.

I am referring solely to the rails themselves, however.