From: use...@rilynn.me.uk (Roger Lynn)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Increase change-trains time when booking advanced tickets
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 22:38:42 +0100
 by: Roger Lynn - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 21:38 UTC

On 30/09/2022 20:19, Dave Royal wrote:
> My wife was booking some advanced tickets yesterday from Tunbridge
> Wells
> to Nottingham, using trainline.com (because she has a login). I wanted
> to increase the time available for the change at St. Pancras to allow
> for delay and/or to have time for a coffee. I expected to be able to
> move the STP to NOT leg to a later train, but couldn't find such a
> facility. So we booked the TBW to LBG leg separately - using
> Southeastern (because I have a login).
>
> Today I experimented with the SE website, and that couldn't do it
> either.
>
> Are there any - preferably web based - booking systems that will
> do it?
> Or this it there and I didn't find it?
> Or perhaps allow a longer default change-trains time?

The National Rail Enquiries site at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ has an
option to "Allow extra time to change trains". However, I do not know
whether this is passed on or respected when it hands you over to a ticket
retailer for you to actually purchase the tickets.

Re: Increase change-trains time when booking advanced tickets

<th8o9v$19j46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41613&group=uk.railway#41613

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 06:55:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hx4Ar4STLkMGR2eYS0rpxXqL1EI=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 06:55 UTC

Roger Lynn <usenet@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:
> On 30/09/2022 20:19, Dave Royal wrote:
>> My wife was booking some advanced tickets yesterday from Tunbridge
>> Wells
>> to Nottingham, using trainline.com (because she has a login). I wanted
>> to increase the time available for the change at St. Pancras to allow
>> for delay and/or to have time for a coffee. I expected to be able to
>> move the STP to NOT leg to a later train, but couldn't find such a
>> facility. So we booked the TBW to LBG leg separately - using
>> Southeastern (because I have a login).
>>
>> Today I experimented with the SE website, and that couldn't do it
>> either.
>>
>> Are there any - preferably web based - booking systems that will
>> do it?
>> Or this it there and I didn't find it?
>> Or perhaps allow a longer default change-trains time?
>
> The National Rail Enquiries site at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ has an
> option to "Allow extra time to change trains". However, I do not know
> whether this is passed on or respected when it hands you over to a ticket
> retailer for you to actually purchase the tickets.

The split ticket sites, such as https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/ allow for
more complex searches. If you select the advanced options and then scroll
down to changes you can add extra change time.

This used to be an option on the main TOC sites, but they seem to have been
“simplified” of late.

Re: Increase change-trains time when booking advanced tickets

<th91lk$1a5at$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=41623&group=uk.railway#41623

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 09:35:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Royal - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 09:35 UTC

On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 06:55:59 +0000, Tweed wrote:

> The split ticket sites, such as https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/ allow
> for more complex searches. If you select the advanced options and then
> scroll down to changes you can add extra change time.

Thank you. That works - in this case.

I added 15 minutes in the option and it applied that to both London Bridge
and St Pancras. Which is OK for this journey because I don't think the
Thameslink leg is on a timed train so I can use the spare 30 minutes at St
Pancras.

Not as good as being able to delay a particular change.
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)