QOTD: "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Re: Falklands 40

SubjectAuthor
* Falklands 40TWP
+* Re: Falklands 40JeSSe
|+* Re: Falklands 40The Happy Hippy
||`- Re: Falklands 40TWP
|`- Re: Falklands 40TWP
+- Re: Falklands 40The Happy Hippy
`- Re: Falklands 40The Happy Hippy

1
Falklands 40

<qn22K.1675339$X81.1454714@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4162&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4162

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: ngspamme...@yahoo.co.uk (TWP)
Subject: Falklands 40
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 21:30:13 +0100
 by: TWP - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 20:30 UTC

I almost forgot - it's 40 years since the start of the Falklands war.
This is the day that the Argentinians arrived.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60933534

Re: Falklands 40

<Kr22K.308182$Lbb6.212883@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4165&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4165

Subject: Re: Falklands 40
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: zo...@so.org (JeSSe)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 16:34:50 -0400
 by: JeSSe - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 20:34 UTC

TWP wrote:
> I almost forgot - it's 40 years since the start of the Falklands war.
> This is the day that the Argentinians arrived.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60933534

Do you think they'll ever try it again ?

Re: Falklands 40

<20220402224636.000034f3@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4166&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4166

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 22:46:36 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 21:46 UTC

On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 16:34:50 -0400
JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:

> TWP wrote:
> > I almost forgot - it's 40 years since the start of the Falklands
> > war. This is the day that the Argentinians arrived.
> >
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60933534
> >

> Do you think they'll ever try it again ?

Once NATO aggression and provocation has got us nuked into oblivion it's theirs for the taking.

Given how close we came to losing the war I wouldn't be surprised if they had another go at taking the Malvinas back if it were felt politically advantaging.

If it hadn't been for Thatcher seeing war as politically advantageous herself we would probably have handed it over at the culmination of negotiations to do so which had been going on for the preceding decade.

Ultimately it comes down to what islanders themselves want and how much we are prepared to spend in defending the island if someone does try to take it by force.

We will probably simply give it up, much as we have with Gibraltar which is now more integrated with the EU than before brexit.

Re: Falklands 40

<20220402233947.00003a02@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4168&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4168

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 23:39:47 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 22:39 UTC

On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 21:30:13 +0100
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I almost forgot - it's 40 years since the start of the Falklands war.
> This is the day that the Argentinians arrived.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60933534

The day Argentinian military forces arrived. Argentinians had been there for years.

<quote>

[Argentina] had claimed sovereignty over the islands for many years. The country's ruling military junta did not believe that Britain would attempt to regain the islands by force.

The ruling military junta was wrong.

</quote>

And no doubt surprised given Britain had been trying to put the Falklands under Argentinian control for a decade and a half.

And the Ministry of Defence's planned withdrawal of naval ships was probably taken as a signal they had no real concern over losing the territory they had been trying to rid themselves of for all those years.

Argentina expected occupying the islands would be taken as a fait accompli which would be met with professed outrage in public but nothing more, Britain privately glad they'd got rid of the islands, had got what they wanted.

But they didn't reckon on Thatcher's opportunistic desire for war to bolster her flagging reputation. If it wasn't for that she would have been out of office in 1983 election.

<quote>

Over the next 10 weeks, 649 Argentine military personnel, 255 British military personnel, and three Falkland Islanders were killed.

</quote>

It seems there's always a reluctance to add "killed by British forces" to those civilian deaths.

And it's rarely mentioned how those who suffered, like Simon Weston, were side-lined at Remembrance Sunday events lest people got to see the horrors our wars inflict on those we call upon to serve.

Re: Falklands 40

<20220402235725.00004726@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4169&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4169

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 23:57:25 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 22:57 UTC

On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 21:30:13 +0100
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I almost forgot - it's 40 years since the start of the Falklands war.

Private Eye perhaps captured the zeitgeist best -

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WI4uRnslGv0/UUGmfX9HTtI/AAAAAAAATQY/yYLxcsyzxbQ/s1600/Eye533.jpg

Re: Falklands 40

<tfp3K.844261$zX2.591715@fx12.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4229&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4229

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: ngspamme...@yahoo.co.uk (TWP)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 00:20:56 +0100
 by: TWP - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 23:20 UTC

On 02/04/2022 21:34, JeSSe wrote:
> TWP wrote:
>> I almost forgot - it's 40 years since the start of the Falklands war.
>> This is the day that the Argentinians arrived.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60933534
>>

> Do you think they'll ever try it again ?

I don't think it's impossible but a few things would have to line up for
it to happen. They're trying a more diplomatic route these days.

Re: Falklands 40

<Omp3K.1061526$Sxe.274076@fx09.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4230&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4230

Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: ngspamme...@yahoo.co.uk (TWP)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 00:28:44 +0100
 by: TWP - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 23:28 UTC

On 02/04/2022 22:46, The Happy Hippy wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2022 16:34:50 -0400
> JeSSe <zo@so.org> wrote:
>
>> TWP wrote:
>>> I almost forgot - it's 40 years since the start of the Falklands
>>> war. This is the day that the Argentinians arrived.
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60933534
>>>

>> Do you think they'll ever try it again ?
>
> Once NATO aggression and provocation has got us nuked into oblivion it's theirs for the taking.
>
> Given how close we came to losing the war I wouldn't be surprised if they had another go at taking the Malvinas back if it were felt politically advantaging.
>
> If it hadn't been for Thatcher seeing war as politically advantageous herself we would probably have handed it over at the culmination of negotiations to do so which had been going on for the preceding decade.
>
> Ultimately it comes down to what islanders themselves want and how much we are prepared to spend in defending the island if someone does try to take it by force.
>
> We will probably simply give it up, much as we have with Gibraltar which is now more integrated with the EU than before brexit.

No, I don't think we can just give it away now. They spent too many
lives on keeping it. It would be too shameful even for Labour to give
it up now and they'd be most likely to do it, regarding it as a Tory
trophy. We didn't give up Northern Ireland.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Re: Falklands 40