From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: UK goes nuclear
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 13:26:04 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 12:26 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61010605

<quotes>

Up to eight more nuclear reactors could be approved on existing sites as part of the UK's new energy strategy.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "This [energy strategy] is about tackling the mistakes of the past and making sure that we are set well for the future.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer criticised the strategy as "too little" and "too late" to help people with rising costs.

</quotes>

It's long overdue and if governments hadn't side-lined nuclear we could probably already be self-sufficient on energy needs.

The idea that we could save money and advantage ourselves, whether buying in foreign energy, foreign fighter jets or foreign nuclear missiles has always been a seriously flawed strategy as we are now finding out.

The notion that making ourselves dependent on others reduced the potential for war and conflict was sound, but is completely undermined when we choose to fall out with those we are dependent on, when NATO and ourselves are determined to have wars with those we depend upon.

"You can't be a warmonger when dependent on those you would wage war with" should have been blindingly obvious to everyone. But, no, so we are consequently in the ludicrous position that we can't harm others as we would like because doing so harms ourselves.

The only way to be a sovereign warmongering nation is to be self-sufficient. Brexiteers were at least right on that.

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / UK goes nuclear