From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Asus Z179-K Mobo
Date: 13 Jan 2024 20:48:25 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 20:48 UTC

I know Jaimie has one of these. Playing with Win 8.1 again and it doesn't
recognise the NVMe slot (unless I've put the device in incorrectly).

I 'think' the drivers are in 8.1, can anybody confirm please?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Remember, the Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

Re: Asus Z179-K Mobo

<l0gj8vFt76hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4277&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4277

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Asus Z179-K Mobo
Date: 13 Jan 2024 23:05:03 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 23:05 UTC

On 13 Jan 2024 at 20:48:25 GMT, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

> I know Jaimie has one of these. Playing with Win 8.1 again and it doesn't
> recognise the NVMe slot (unless I've put the device in incorrectly).
>
> I 'think' the drivers are in 8.1, can anybody confirm please?

I've a Z170-I but I think it's the same kit (well, a bit less of it
since it's ITX!).
Fairly sure Win8.1 did get NVMe boot support after a while; I've never
run anything except Win10 on mine though. Is your install media up to
date?

Cheers - Jaimie

--
"Meanwhile, guinea pigs are displaying the survival
instincts of lemmings ... quite astonishingly, 2.86 per

Re: Asus Z179-K Mobo

<xn0ogtbmp44qk5z00c@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4278&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4278

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 14 Jan 2024 10:01:06 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:01 UTC

On 13/01/2024 in message <l0gj8vFt76hU1@mid.individual.net> Jaimie
Vandenbergh wrote:

>On 13 Jan 2024 at 20:48:25 GMT, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
>wrote:
>

>>I know Jaimie has one of these. Playing with Win 8.1 again and it doesn't
>>recognise the NVMe slot (unless I've put the device in incorrectly).
>>
>>I 'think' the drivers are in 8.1, can anybody confirm please?
>
>I've a Z170-I but I think it's the same kit (well, a bit less of it
>since it's ITX!).
>Fairly sure Win8.1 did get NVMe boot support after a while; I've never
>run anything except Win10 on mine though. Is your install media up to
>date?
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Many thanks Jaimie :-)

I hadn't quite seated the NVMe properly, always a bit wary as the
electronics are exposed. Anyway Win 8.1 has gone on from a DVD with an
unused key, will see if it activates later, MSFT have tightened up
substantially on activation.

Still getting a stream of suggestions on how to stop Win 10 re-booting,
all old tips from the Internet that don't work any more! I have discovered
that Win 10 v 2400 (need to check, I have it bookmarked) is the last to
allow 365 day deferrals, and you can set a key in the registry for the
highest version allowed (I have used it to stop "upgrade" to Win 11) so
that's another possibility.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Re: Asus Z179-K Mobo

<l0iok2FamvpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4286&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4286

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 14 Jan 2024 18:48:34 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 18:48 UTC

On 14 Jan 2024 at 10:01:06 GMT, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

> On 13/01/2024 in message <l0gj8vFt76hU1@mid.individual.net> Jaimie
> Vandenbergh wrote:
>
>> On 13 Jan 2024 at 20:48:25 GMT, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I know Jaimie has one of these. Playing with Win 8.1 again and it doesn't
>>> recognise the NVMe slot (unless I've put the device in incorrectly).
>>>
>>> I 'think' the drivers are in 8.1, can anybody confirm please?
>>
>> I've a Z170-I but I think it's the same kit (well, a bit less of it
>> since it's ITX!).
>> Fairly sure Win8.1 did get NVMe boot support after a while; I've never
>> run anything except Win10 on mine though. Is your install media up to
>> date?
>>
>> Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Many thanks Jaimie :-)
>
> I hadn't quite seated the NVMe properly, always a bit wary as the
> electronics are exposed. Anyway Win 8.1 has gone on from a DVD with an
> unused key, will see if it activates later, MSFT have tightened up
> substantially on activation.

Nice - the old win8 activation hasn't been changed AFAIK so should be
fine. It's only the last Win10/11 releases since December where the old
keys won't work now.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere will not hate it.
-- Frederik Pohl

Re: Asus Z179-K Mobo

<xn0ogtus14uq41800e@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4287&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4287

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 14 Jan 2024 22:08:37 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:08 UTC

On 14/01/2024 in message <l0iok2FamvpU1@mid.individual.net> Jaimie
Vandenbergh wrote:

>>I hadn't quite seated the NVMe properly, always a bit wary as the
>>electronics are exposed. Anyway Win 8.1 has gone on from a DVD with an
>>unused key, will see if it activates later, MSFT have tightened up
>>substantially on activation.
>
>Nice - the old win8 activation hasn't been changed AFAIK so should be
>fine. It's only the last Win10/11 releases since December where the old
>keys won't work now.

I had an original OEM DVD (never used) and the original sticky label with
the key and it refused to activate so I went through my list of licences
until I found one that worked. I had forgotten that if the original
version was US English you had to use a US English key and if it's UK
English UK English key. Even downloading a new iso today it was quite
picky about language and bitness.

I will try and find a way to get to MSFT to ask about the OEM DVD, I
thought if you had the original DVD and the original label you were OK. I
think also where you could get away with going back to an 8.1 key that has
been used to upgrade to Win 10 (even on the same machine) in the past you
can't now.

Anyway it's up and running nicely on the Z170-K, I need to think about the
new build which may be Win 10 only but I will try for my own satisfaction.
I'll use an old install thumb-drive and work my way through updates until
I get to the one where control of updating was lost.

Keeps me out of mischief :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The only thing necessary for evil to prevail is for good people to do or