Treaties are like roses and young girls -- they last while they last. -- Charles DeGaulle

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Thunderbird on a server

SubjectAuthor
* Thunderbird on a serverFrank
`* Re: Thunderbird on a serverTheo
 +* Re: Thunderbird on a serverAbandoned Trolley
 |`- Re: Thunderbird on a serverAndy Burns
 `- Re: Thunderbird on a serverFrank

1
Thunderbird on a server

<I56dnR6_6awKme_4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4131&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4131

Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 17:44:55 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: hom...@nowhere.me (Frank)
Subject: Thunderbird on a server
 by: Frank - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 17:44 UTC

I've changed the way I use my laptop and desktop and it would be useful
if I could transfer my Thunderbird data files onto my Synology 918+
server and access them from there.

Is it possible to access the same files from both the laptop and the
desktop and not end up with a mess? I'm using POP3 and would prefer not
to switch to IMAP if that's relevant.

--
Frank

Re: Thunderbird on a server

<W+b*Iejxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4132&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4132

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Thunderbird on a server
Date: 07 Dec 2023 22:17:44 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 22:17 UTC

Frank <home@nowhere.me> wrote:
> I've changed the way I use my laptop and desktop and it would be useful
> if I could transfer my Thunderbird data files onto my Synology 918+
> server and access them from there.
>
> Is it possible to access the same files from both the laptop and the
> desktop and not end up with a mess? I'm using POP3 and would prefer not
> to switch to IMAP if that's relevant.

You can copy your Thunderbird profile to the NAS and have Thunderbird pick
it up from a network share, but I think Thunderbird will only allow one
client to use a profile at a time. So you could do it, but you'd have to
close TB on one machine before opening on another.

Also, things get awkward if the versions of TB on each machine are
different, so you'd need to upgrade both at the same time.

Theo

Re: Thunderbird on a server

<ukuufl$1nju6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4133&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4133

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 11:25:40 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 11:25 UTC

On 07/12/2023 22:17, Theo wrote:
> Frank <home@nowhere.me> wrote:
>> I've changed the way I use my laptop and desktop and it would be useful
>> if I could transfer my Thunderbird data files onto my Synology 918+
>> server and access them from there.
>>
>> Is it possible to access the same files from both the laptop and the
>> desktop and not end up with a mess? I'm using POP3 and would prefer not
>> to switch to IMAP if that's relevant.
>
> You can copy your Thunderbird profile to the NAS and have Thunderbird pick
> it up from a network share, but I think Thunderbird will only allow one
> client to use a profile at a time. So you could do it, but you'd have to
> close TB on one machine before opening on another.
>
> Also, things get awkward if the versions of TB on each machine are
> different, so you'd need to upgrade both at the same time.
>
> Theo

This is all a bit confusing to me - is TB a mail server as well as a
client ?

MHA / MTA :-\

Re: Thunderbird on a server

<ktgdfpFd7o1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4134&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4134

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 11:37:31 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 11:37 UTC

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

> This is all a bit confusing to me - is TB a mail server as well as a
> client ?

No, it can just store its datafiles on a mapped drive on a server, can't
remember if it uses a lock file to keep multiple TBs from accessing it
at once?

Re: Thunderbird on a server

<UOCcncb4JtA6hjj4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4302&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4302

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 11:48:54 +0000
From: hom...@nowhere.me (Frank)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
 by: Frank - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 11:48 UTC

On 07/12/2023 22:17, Theo wrote:
> Frank <home@nowhere.me> wrote:
>> I've changed the way I use my laptop and desktop and it would be useful
>> if I could transfer my Thunderbird data files onto my Synology 918+
>> server and access them from there.
>>
>> Is it possible to access the same files from both the laptop and the
>> desktop and not end up with a mess? I'm using POP3 and would prefer not
>> to switch to IMAP if that's relevant.
>
> You can copy your Thunderbird profile to the NAS and have Thunderbird pick
> it up from a network share, but I think Thunderbird will only allow one
> client to use a profile at a time. So you could do it, but you'd have to
> close TB on one machine before opening on another.
>
> Also, things get awkward if the versions of TB on each machine are
> different, so you'd need to upgrade both at the same time.
>
> Theo

Thanks, that sounds like it's doable with a little care.

--
Frank