From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Win 10 Internet Connection
Date: 28 Jan 2024 17:46:41 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:46 UTC

The world was cut off from our village last week after the storms due to
floods. Worse, the power to one of the green cabinets went down and it
took 4 days for OR to connect us again.

I spent the time switching between being tethered to the mobile and
checking if the landline was back up. As a consequence the Internet icon
on my desktop was the globe covered in a fishing net and a tooltip saying
"no Internet".

Once the Internet was back the desktop connected fine and all was working
except for Windows update which decided that I wasn't connected to the
Internet so wouldn't even look for updates. After two days fiddling the
proper Internet icon appeared on the taskbar whereupon Windows updated
itself.

I should probably have just re-booted but I'm interested to know how
Windows checks whether of not there is Internet access. Email & browser
(neither MSFT) were perfectly happy but not the OS.

Any thoughts?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not

Re: Win 10 Internet Connection

<l1o6c3FmjrqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4358&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4358

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Win 10 Internet Connection
Date: 28 Jan 2024 23:30:11 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 23:30 UTC

On 28 Jan 2024 at 17:46:41 GMT, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

> Any thoughts?

Well, the first thought that came to mind is that Windows being bad at
networking is not any sort of surprise to me.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I always wanted to be someone. I should have been more specific.
-- Lily Tomlin

Re: Win 10 Internet Connection

<xn0ohebnsiff7k001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4359&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4359

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 29 Jan 2024 08:28:21 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 08:28 UTC

On 28/01/2024 in message <l1o6c3FmjrqU1@mid.individual.net> Jaimie
Vandenbergh wrote:

>On 28 Jan 2024 at 17:46:41 GMT, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
>wrote:
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>
>Well, the first thought that came to mind is that Windows being bad at
>networking is not any sort of surprise to me.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Ain't that the truth :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
How does a gender neutral bog differ from a unisex bog ?