Programming Department: Mistakes made while you wait.

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Re: Smartmeter experiences

SubjectAuthor
* Smartmeter experiencesJim S
+* Re: Smartmeter experiencesBri.
|`* Re: Smartmeter experiencesJim S
| +* Re: Smartmeter experiencesPeter Hawkins
| |`- Re: Smartmeter experiencesJim S
| `* Re: Smartmeter experiencesJim S
|  `- Re: Smartmeter experiencesFlyi?g ?u? 2?22 +
`- Re: Smartmeter experiencesHarry Bloomfield Esq

1
Smartmeter experiences

<1i5os2nqc3vn1.17iytq280a1t9.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4352&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4352

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Smartmeter experiences
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 20:00:42 +0100
 by: Jim S - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 19:00 UTC

Any experiences on the FITTING of a Smartmeter?
--
Jim S

Re: Smartmeter experiences

<bpfr3gomx112$.69wh4g9ley6s$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4354&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4354

From: Bri...@Derby.invalid (Bri.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Smartmeter experiences
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 08:10:43 +0100
 by: Bri. - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 07:10 UTC

Jim S wrote:

> Any experiences on the FITTING of a Smartmeter?

Fitting was a minor job here, all went just as hoped.

I have taken regular readings for many years and the smart meter has
been a boon for me. Unfortunately, the gas meter has stopped sending
and I've had to revert to manual readings for that meter. I've
reported the fault but there's a lack of repair enthusiasm.
--
Bri.
(W7 Desktop)

Re: Smartmeter experiences

<MPG.3d277b5a8d139b2b989695@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4357&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4357

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 10:21:08 +0100
 by: Jim S - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 09:21 UTC

In article <bpfr3gomx112$.69wh4g9ley6s$.dlg@40tude.net>,
Brian@Derby.invalid says...

> Jim S wrote:
>
> > Any experiences on the FITTING of a Smartmeter?
>
> Fitting was a minor job here, all went just as hoped.
>
> I have taken regular readings for many years and the smart meter has
> been a boon for me. Unfortunately, the gas meter has stopped sending
> and I've had to revert to manual readings for that meter. I've
> reported the fault but there's a lack of repair enthusiasm.

To be honest, I was more concerned about any disruption caused.
I have a Victorian terrace. The electric meter is ~3 m up the wall and
the gas is under the stairs ~ 8 mm away with fitted carpet on the floor
between.

--
Jim S

Re: Smartmeter experiences

<t9jr47$1h8o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4358&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4358

From: phawk...@totalise.co.uk (Peter Hawkins)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 10:41:27 +0100
 by: Peter Hawkins - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 09:41 UTC

On 30/06/2022 10:21, Jim S wrote:
> In article <bpfr3gomx112$.69wh4g9ley6s$.dlg@40tude.net>,
> Brian@Derby.invalid says...
>>
>> Jim S wrote:
>>
>>> Any experiences on the FITTING of a Smartmeter?
>>
>> Fitting was a minor job here, all went just as hoped.
>>
>> I have taken regular readings for many years and the smart meter has
>> been a boon for me. Unfortunately, the gas meter has stopped sending
>> and I've had to revert to manual readings for that meter. I've
>> reported the fault but there's a lack of repair enthusiasm.
>
> To be honest, I was more concerned about any disruption caused.
> I have a Victorian terrace. The electric meter is ~3 m up the wall and
> the gas is under the stairs ~ 8 mm away with fitted carpet on the floor
> between.

We are in a very similar situation.
The electricity meter was fitted and working with no problems.
Obviously the electricity was switched off for a while - I can't
remember how long, but it was not too long.
When the fitter looked at our gas meter, under the stairs, he said he
could not get a signal from the electricity meter, so it was not replaced.
We have had two other visits since then. The first fitter said that a
bracket was needed, and he didn't have it!
The next (unannounced apart from a text slightly earlier that day, which
I didn't see until after he left) engineer said the others probably just
didn't want to do the job, as there was some pipework involved. He also
said there should be no signal problems.
I have now given up worrying about it and just read the gas meter each
month and submit the reading to them.
The other problem we have is that the in house display stopped working,
and multiple phone calls have not sorted this out. A promise to send us
another resulted in nothing arriving!
I hope this does not put you off! It is really good at my advanced age
to not have to climb up to read the electricity meter.
Good luck.

--
Sent from my laptop.

Re: Smartmeter experiences

<MPG.3d2795157d48e60c989696@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4361&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4361

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 12:10:50 +0100
 by: Jim S - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 11:10 UTC

In article <t9jr47$1h8o$1@gioia.aioe.org>, phawkins@totalise.co.uk
says...

> On 30/06/2022 10:21, Jim S wrote:
> > In article <bpfr3gomx112$.69wh4g9ley6s$.dlg@40tude.net>,
> > Brian@Derby.invalid says...

> >> Fitting was a minor job here, all went just as hoped.
> >>
> >> I have taken regular readings for many years and the smart meter has
> >> been a boon for me. Unfortunately, the gas meter has stopped sending
> >> and I've had to revert to manual readings for that meter. I've
> >> reported the fault but there's a lack of repair enthusiasm.
> >
> > To be honest, I was more concerned about any disruption caused.
> > I have a Victorian terrace. The electric meter is ~3 m up the wall and
> > the gas is under the stairs ~ 8 mm away with fitted carpet on the floor
> > between.
> >

> We are in a very similar situation.
> The electricity meter was fitted and working with no problems.
> Obviously the electricity was switched off for a while - I can't
> remember how long, but it was not too long.
> When the fitter looked at our gas meter, under the stairs, he said he
> could not get a signal from the electricity meter, so it was not replaced.
> We have had two other visits since then. The first fitter said that a
> bracket was needed, and he didn't have it!
> The next (unannounced apart from a text slightly earlier that day, which
> I didn't see until after he left) engineer said the others probably just
> didn't want to do the job, as there was some pipework involved. He also
> said there should be no signal problems.
> I have now given up worrying about it and just read the gas meter each
> month and submit the reading to them.
> The other problem we have is that the in house display stopped working,
> and multiple phone calls have not sorted this out. A promise to send us
> another resulted in nothing arriving!
> I hope this does not put you off! It is really good at my advanced age
> to not have to climb up to read the electricity meter.
> Good luck.

Thanks Peter.
I solved my high electricity meter, by taking a photo with my mobile
fern - at arms length. I have more trouble getting back to my feet after
peering under the stairs at floor level. :)
I might just leave it until they insist. I don't want to make waves as I
have a nice fixed contract until September.

--
Jim S

Re: Smartmeter experiences

<MPG.3d27957e39051c0e989697@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4362&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4362

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 12:12:32 +0100
 by: Jim S - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 11:12 UTC

In article <MPG.3d277b5a8d139b2b989695@reader.eternal-september.org>,
jim@jimXscott.co.uk says...

> In article <bpfr3gomx112$.69wh4g9ley6s$.dlg@40tude.net>,
> Brian@Derby.invalid says...
> >
> > Jim S wrote:
> >
> > > Any experiences on the FITTING of a Smartmeter?
> >
> > Fitting was a minor job here, all went just as hoped.
> >
> > I have taken regular readings for many years and the smart meter has
> > been a boon for me. Unfortunately, the gas meter has stopped sending
> > and I've had to revert to manual readings for that meter. I've
> > reported the fault but there's a lack of repair enthusiasm.
>
> To be honest, I was more concerned about any disruption caused.
> I have a Victorian terrace. The electric meter is ~3 m up the wall and
> the gas is under the stairs ~ 8 mm away with fitted carpet on the floor
> between.

Should read 8 metres away.
8 mm - sheesh - fool (me)

--
Jim S

Re: Smartmeter experiences

<t9m96r$276jt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4364&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4364

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 08:54:02 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 07:54 UTC

Jim S used his keyboard to write :
> Any experiences on the FITTING of a Smartmeter?

Yep, had three sets here, during their initial enthusiasm to fit them,
when they stopped working if you changed supplier, but that initial
enthusiasm to ensure they work - has now gone.

Now they seem to fit, just to get their quota, after which if they
fail, stop functioning, the indoor display fails etc. they don't bother
sorting them out.

I have been waiting for 30 months for my meters to work again and be
changed to the SMETS 2 version.

Re: Smartmeter experiences

<ji7uavFou7nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4366&group=uk.people.silversurfers#4366

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 +)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 10:50:26 +0100
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 + - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 09:50 UTC

Jim S wrote:
> In article <MPG.3d277b5a8d139b2b989695@reader.eternal-september.org>,
> jim@jimXscott.co.uk says...
>>
>> In article <bpfr3gomx112$.69wh4g9ley6s$.dlg@40tude.net>,
>> Brian@Derby.invalid says...

>>> Fitting was a minor job here, all went just as hoped.
>>>
>>> I have taken regular readings for many years and the smart meter has
>>> been a boon for me. Unfortunately, the gas meter has stopped
>>> sending and I've had to revert to manual readings for that meter.
>>> I've reported the fault but there's a lack of repair enthusiasm.
>>
>> To be honest, I was more concerned about any disruption caused.
>> I have a Victorian terrace. The electric meter is ~3 m up the wall
>> and the gas is under the stairs ~ 8 mm away with fitted carpet on
>> the floor between.
>
> Should read 8 metres away.
> 8 mm - sheesh - fool (me)

I thought that you might have been visiting your friend 'Gulliver' :)
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�22+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..