From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: OT: Walk to Stansted Airport
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:47:46 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 13:47 UTC

A place with a heroically low public transport footfall (despite the
station) now has people abandoning their cars on the M11:

<https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article24555862.ece/ALTERNATES/s6
15b/0_WhatsApp-Image-2021-07-17-at-122116-1jpeg.jpg>

Full story: <https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/people-stuck-traffic-
m11-abandon-24555836>
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Walk to Stansted Airport

<OH*sfmpy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4427&group=uk.railway#4427

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: Walk to Stansted Airport
Date: 17 Jul 2021 17:28:56 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:28 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> A place with a heroically low public transport footfall (despite the
> station) now has people abandoning their cars on the M11:

It appears the story is misleading in that people were not 'abandoning'
their cars, they were simply getting out of cars where someone else was
driving (taxis, perhaps) and leaving the driver to handle the car.

Although I can't imagine there's a particularly quick walking route from the
M11 to Departures, which is over the other side of the airport. And I think
the motorway is fairly well fenced so would be lacking in options to find a
service road and call a taxi.

Theo

Re: OT: Walk to Stansted Airport

<Md+K2GHmEx8gFA7r@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4428&group=uk.railway#4428

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 18:19:34 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:19 UTC

In message <OH*sfmpy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 17:28:56 on Sat,
17 Jul 2021, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> A place with a heroically low public transport footfall (despite the
>> station) now has people abandoning their cars on the M11:
>
>It appears the story is misleading in that people were not 'abandoning'
>their cars, they were simply getting out of cars where someone else was
>driving (taxis, perhaps) and leaving the driver to handle the car.
>
>Although I can't imagine there's a particularly quick walking route from the
>M11 to Departures, which is over the other side of the airport. And I think
>the motorway is fairly well fenced so would be lacking in options to find a
>service road and call a taxi.

It's about four miles from the start of the off-M11 sliproads to the
departures terminal. A long way to walk!
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Walk to Stansted Airport

<scv5q3$36n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4432&group=uk.railway#4432

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:59:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OpLpqIIFRqKiKs6CMld3kIPebXk=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:59 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> A place with a heroically low public transport footfall (despite the
>> station) now has people abandoning their cars on the M11:
>
> It appears the story is misleading in that people were not 'abandoning'
> their cars, they were simply getting out of cars where someone else was
> driving (taxis, perhaps) and leaving the driver to handle the car.
>
> Although I can't imagine there's a particularly quick walking route from the
> M11 to Departures, which is over the other side of the airport. And I think
> the motorway is fairly well fenced so would be lacking in options to find a
> service road and call a taxi.

Google says 3.2 miles, an hour walk, from the junction to the terminal.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: OT: Walk to Stansted Airport

<scvftk$q1c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4439&group=uk.railway#4439

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 20:52:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YDR7VT9JGdL4Xqe1qyPnmTaQ0v8=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 20:52 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> A place with a heroically low public transport footfall (despite the
>>> station) now has people abandoning their cars on the M11:
>>
>> It appears the story is misleading in that people were not 'abandoning'
>> their cars, they were simply getting out of cars where someone else was
>> driving (taxis, perhaps) and leaving the driver to handle the car.
>>
>> Although I can't imagine there's a particularly quick walking route from the
>> M11 to Departures, which is over the other side of the airport. And I think
>> the motorway is fairly well fenced so would be lacking in options to find a
>> service road and call a taxi.
>>

> Google says 3.2 miles, an hour walk, from the junction to the terminal.

Probably longer with a suitcase.