A long-forgotten loved one will appear soon. Buy the negatives at any price.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Screw Size for NVMe

SubjectAuthor
* Screw Size for NVMeJeff Gaines
+* Re: Screw Size for NVMeAndy Burns
|`- Re: Screw Size for NVMeJeff Gaines
+* Re: Screw Size for NVMeAbandoned Trolley
|+- Re: Screw Size for NVMeAndy Burns
|`* Re: Screw Size for NVMeJeff Gaines
| `* Re: Screw Size for NVMeAbandoned Trolley
|  `* Re: Screw Size for NVMeJeff Gaines
|   `* Re: Screw Size for NVMeAndy Burns
|    `- Re: Screw Size for NVMeJeff Gaines
`* Re: Screw Size for NVMeJeff Gaines
 `* Re: Screw Size for NVMeAbandoned Trolley
  `- Re: Screw Size for NVMeJeff Gaines

1
Screw Size for NVMe

<xn0oikjuaq8bn000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4396&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4396

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Screw Size for NVMe
Date: 27 Feb 2024 10:27:40 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:27 UTC

In my computer shuffling I have discovered the NVMe on the Z170K is loose
and slips out of the screw. It needs a very fine thread but a big head (or
washer I suppose).

Can anybody confirm the thread size please? It is smaller than the very
fine threaded SSD screws (are they screws or bolts nowadays?).

As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I was standing in the park wondering why Frisbees got bigger as they get

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<l45th7Ffm86U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4397&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4397

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Screw Size for NVMe
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:57:43 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:57 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> In my computer shuffling I have discovered the NVMe on the Z170K is
> loose and slips out of the screw. It needs a very fine thread but a big
> head (or washer I suppose).
>
> Can anybody confirm the thread size please? It is smaller than the very
> fine threaded SSD screws (are they screws or bolts nowadays?).
>
> As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?

Best I can tell under a loupe, it's M2 with a 0.5mm pitch.

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<xn0oikl792jv03001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4398&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4398

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Feb 2024 11:18:42 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:18 UTC

On 27/02/2024 in message <l45th7Ffm86U1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>In my computer shuffling I have discovered the NVMe on the Z170K is loose
>>and slips out of the screw. It needs a very fine thread but a big head
>>(or washer I suppose).
>>
>>Can anybody confirm the thread size please? It is smaller than the very
>>fine threaded SSD screws (are they screws or bolts nowadays?).
>>
>>As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?
>
>Best I can tell under a loupe, it's M2 with a 0.5mm pitch.

Thanks Andy. I have size 12 feet and hands to match so this size is really
bogging awkward for me :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<urksmo$38k3v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4399&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4399

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:47:52 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:47 UTC

> As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?

I wouldnt count on it - the screws which hold "normal" drives in place
are a UNC thread I believe.

And the jackscrews on D type connectors are definitely 4-40 UNC

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<l46dt9Fie25U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4400&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4400

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 15:37:15 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 15:37 UTC

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

>> As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?
>
> I wouldnt count on it - the screws which hold "normal" drives in place
> are a UNC thread I believe.

one of my NVMe enclosures uses little rubber "pegs" rather than screws.

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<xn0oiks82c4zrb002@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4401&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4401

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Feb 2024 15:47:05 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 15:47 UTC

On 27/02/2024 in message <urksmo$38k3v$2@dont-email.me> Abandoned Trolley
wrote:

>>As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?
>>

>I wouldnt count on it - the screws which hold "normal" drives in place are
>a UNC thread I believe.
>
>And the jackscrews on D type connectors are definitely 4-40 UNC

So far I have found coarse screws which are for PSU, cases and 3.5" HD.
6-32 UNC
Fine threaded for SSDs. M3
These awkward little sods for NVMe which I wouldn't be surprised are
different sizes depending on the day of the week! Why didn't they stick to
the fine screws (M3) I really don't know.

Anyway I have ordered some and will have to see if they fit.

I also have a small piece of an M3 stuck in a drive cage with a small
sharp point bit (0.5 mm but enough to cut you) on the outside and perhaps
2 mm on the inside. Still racking brain on that one, much to small to
centre punch and the cage contains electronics so grinding may not be a
good idea.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<url21s$39q8n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4402&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4402

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 16:19:08 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 16:19 UTC

> I also have a small piece of an M3 stuck in a drive cage with a small
> sharp point bit (0.5 mm but enough to cut you) on the outside and
> perhaps 2 mm on the inside. Still racking brain on that one, much to
> small to centre punch and the cage contains electronics so grinding may
> not be a good idea.

I bought a pack of these things on eBay a few months back, and what you
are suggesting is correct - its a small (M2 ?) screw with a big head,
and there are no washers involved.

There were some of the standoff (screw / nut) things in the pack with it.

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<xn0oikttkeb4jq003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4403&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4403

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Feb 2024 16:47:51 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 16:47 UTC

On 27/02/2024 in message <url21s$39q8n$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned Trolley
wrote:

>>I also have a small piece of an M3 stuck in a drive cage with a small
>>sharp point bit (0.5 mm but enough to cut you) on the outside and perhaps
>>2 mm on the inside. Still racking brain on that one, much to small to
>>centre punch and the cage contains electronics so grinding may not be a
>>good idea.
>>

>I bought a pack of these things on eBay a few months back, and what you
>are suggesting is correct - its a small (M2 ?) screw with a big head, and
>there are no washers involved.
>
>There were some of the standoff (screw / nut) things in the pack with it.

That's encouraging, thanks :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
How does a gender neutral bog differ from a unisex bog ?

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<l46jq2Fitp6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4404&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4404

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:17:55 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:17 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> That's encouraging, thanks :-)

crucial seem to say that M2x0.4 rather than 0.5 that I gauged under my
loupe is a common size

<https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/about-m2-ssd-screws>

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<xn0oikvzvh64s9005@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4405&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4405

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Feb 2024 18:07:57 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:07 UTC

On 27/02/2024 in message <l46jq2Fitp6U2@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>That's encouraging, thanks :-)
>
>crucial seem to say that M2x0.4 rather than 0.5 that I gauged under my
>loupe is a common size
>
><https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/about-m2-ssd-screws>

"M2 screw sizes are not standardised" - why not, all the other screw sizes
on cases and drives are. I must admit I didn't fit an NVMe straight away
when I got the Z170K but I sure as heck can't find a screw or stand off now!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<xn0oim63h1qkmhh00a@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4410&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4410

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 Feb 2024 15:18:59 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 15:18 UTC

On 27/02/2024 in message <xn0oikjuaq8bn000@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>In my computer shuffling I have discovered the NVMe on the Z170K is loose
>and slips out of the screw. It needs a very fine thread but a big head (or
>washer I suppose).
>
>Can anybody confirm the thread size please? It is smaller than the very
>fine threaded SSD screws (are they screws or bolts nowadays?).
>
>As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?

My kits arrived from Amazon. Nice assortment of stand-offs and screws (why
aren't they called bolts?) and the first one of the packages fitted
perfectly.

Thanks for all the input :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
How does a gender neutral bog differ from a unisex bog ?
It has a non-binary number on the door.

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<urnrlh$cke$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4411&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4411

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 17:48:33 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 17:48 UTC

> (why aren't they called bolts?)

They are called screws (or setscrews) because there is a thread for the
entire length of the shank - regardless of the type of head.

A bolt only needs to have enough thread on it to hold a nut at the end
(also regardless of head style)

Also remember ...

Wood "screws" have no part in this discussion, and ...

The bolt on my front door has no thread at all

Re: Screw Size for NVMe

<xn0oimatx1wzrgl00b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4412&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4412

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 Feb 2024 18:18:43 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 18:18 UTC

On 28/02/2024 in message <urnrlh$cke$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned Trolley
wrote:

>>(why aren't they called bolts?)
>
>They are called screws (or setscrews) because there is a thread for the
>entire length of the shank - regardless of the type of head.
>
>A bolt only needs to have enough thread on it to hold a nut at the end
>(also regardless of head style)
>
>Also remember ...
>
>Wood "screws" have no part in this discussion, and ...
>
>The bolt on my front door has no thread at all

Thank you, brilliant explanation :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The fact that there's a highway to hell and only a stairway to heaven says