From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Android on Windows
Date: 7 Mar 2024 15:56:00 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 15:56 UTC

Just spent half an hour searching the spare room for a laptop I could put
Win 11 on, finally found it, charged and booted it, set it updating etc.
etc.

While it was doing that I Googled how to install the Android sub-system to
discover MSFT is dropping support for it, back to the cupboard it goes....

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Those are my principles – and if you don’t like them, well, I have others.

Re: Android on Windows

<usd3p4$1736d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4448&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4448

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Android on Windows
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 19:15:48 +0000
 by: SH - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 19:15 UTC

On 07/03/2024 15:56, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Just spent half an hour searching the spare room for a laptop I could
> put Win 11 on, finally found it, charged and booted it, set it updating
> etc. etc.
>
> While it was doing that I Googled how to install the Android sub-system
> to discover MSFT is dropping support for it, back to the cupboard it
> goes....

Have a look at Bluestacks.... :-) from the person that gave you Ventoy....

ALso Ninite is a real time saver!

Re: Android on Windows

<usd8ep$184rv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4449&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4449

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:35:37 +0000
 by: SH - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:35 UTC

On 07/03/2024 19:15, SH wrote:
> On 07/03/2024 15:56, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> Just spent half an hour searching the spare room for a laptop I could
>> put Win 11 on, finally found it, charged and booted it, set it
>> updating etc. etc.
>>
>> While it was doing that I Googled how to install the Android
>> sub-system to discover MSFT is dropping support for it, back to the
>> cupboard it goes....
>>

> Have a look at Bluestacks.... :-)   from the person that gave you
> Ventoy....
>
> ALso Ninite is a real time saver!

and this one:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get-started-android-apps-windows-11

Re: Android on Windows

<xn0oj2pste6g1s802i@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4450&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4450

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 8 Mar 2024 08:17:03 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 08:17 UTC

On 07/03/2024 in message <usd8ep$184rv$1@dont-email.me> SH wrote:

>On 07/03/2024 19:15, SH wrote:
>>On 07/03/2024 15:56, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>>
>>>Just spent half an hour searching the spare room for a laptop I could put
>>>Win 11 on, finally found it, charged and booted it, set it updating etc.
>>>etc.
>>>
>>>While it was doing that I Googled how to install the Android sub-system
>>>to discover MSFT is dropping support for it, back to the cupboard it
>>>goes....
>>>

>>Have a look at Bluestacks.... :-)   from the person that gave you
>>Ventoy....
>>
>>ALso Ninite is a real time saver!
>

>and this one:
>
>https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get-started-android-apps-windows-11

Many thanks SH :-)

More toys to play with!

I found Bluestacks and got it working on my Win 10 laptop, Bubble Buster
and the Yamaha AV Controller run fine. I just used the AV Controller to
switch the radio from streaming my car music from the NAS to streaming
Mellow Magic over the Internet!

I do wonder why today's programmers use black backgrounds. I have been
trying out VST hosts recently and they're all black background with
dreadful fonts. The original promise of Windows was you set up a colour
scheme that suited you and all apps would inherit it.

Thanks again!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not

Re: Android on Windows

<usf5dq$1njdo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4451&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#4451

From: dan...@me.invalid (Daniel James)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:57:20 +0000
 by: Daniel James - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:57 UTC

On 08/03/2024 08:17, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> I do wonder why today's programmers use black backgrounds. I have been
> trying out VST hosts recently and they're all black background with
> dreadful fonts.

It's called "Dark mode". It's terribly trendy and terrible looking.

> The original promise of Windows was you set up a colour scheme that
> suited you and all apps would inherit it.

That's right. I can only think that today's software design is all
driven by the considerations of Android and fruity devices, which don't
have the same degree of customizability at system level.

I can remember working with one guy, in the early 1980s, who set his
MS-DOS PC to use coloured text on a white (might have been grey)
background because it was "easier to read" and "caused less eye strain"
-- the same claims that are being made now for Dark mode. The wheel
turns ...

Of course, the MS-DOS "Light mode" display on an IBM CGA adapter
flickered like crazy whenever the screen scrolled and caused far more
eye strain than light-on-dark.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.