From: salad.do...@idnet.com (Salad Dodger)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Catalytic converters - do they get checked?
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:55:37 +0100
 by: Salad Dodger - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 16:55 UTC

In its latest attempt to get me to set fire to it, the Harley has
discarded the pulley on the active exhaust valve.

It now rattles like a very rattly thing, as the valve spindle has
about 3mm of run out, and is a very loose fit.

Luckily, the valve is welded into the exhaust in the factory, and is
not a separate part.

A new exhaust is firmly in "how fucking much?" territory, especially
as that's without silencers, chrome covers, etc.[1]

Nothing doing on eBay, it seems.

I see two options.

1: secure the valve in the "open" position, with a little JB Weld, or
similar. Wait for a used set to appear eventually.

2: acquire a Mivv NoKat header pipe set for "hfm?" x 40%

I guess #1 is the only sensible option, really.

Of course Option 3 is "get a new pipe, and don't tell Linda", and 4 is
accede to the bike's obvious deathwish.

[1] Harley pipes aren't chrome, they're bare steel, with chrome covers
held on by large Jubilee clips. The covers are £400+
--
Salad Dodger
1690 FLHTK;GL1800D

Re: Catalytic converters - do they get checked?

<2c422i-vt5.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4233&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4233

From: new...@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Catalytic converters - do they get checked?
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 07:42:26 +0800
 by: Boots - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 23:42 UTC

On 25/09/2021 00:55 Salad Dodger penned these words:
> A new exhaust is firmly in "how fucking much?" territory, especially
> as that's without silencers, chrome covers, etc.[1]

Pretty sure emissions test is not part of the bike MOT or certainly wasn't. ergo
a non functioning CAT wouldn't matter.

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: Catalytic converters - do they get checked?

<irgp2mF9t53U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4335&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4335

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:01:42 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 15:01 UTC

On 24/09/2021 17:55, Salad Dodger wrote:
> In its latest attempt to get me to set fire to it, the Harley has
> discarded the pulley on the active exhaust valve.
>
> It now rattles like a very rattly thing, as the valve spindle has
> about 3mm of run out, and is a very loose fit.
>
> Luckily, the valve is welded into the exhaust in the factory, and is
> not a separate part.
>
> A new exhaust is firmly in "how fucking much?" territory, especially
> as that's without silencers, chrome covers, etc.[1]
>
> Nothing doing on eBay, it seems.
>
> I see two options.
>
> 1: secure the valve in the "open" position, with a little JB Weld, or
> similar. Wait for a used set to appear eventually.
>
> 2: acquire a Mivv NoKat header pipe set for "hfm?" x 40%
>

> I guess #1 is the only sensible option, really.
>
> Of course Option 3 is "get a new pipe, and don't tell Linda", and 4 is
> accede to the bike's obvious deathwish.
>

> [1] Harley pipes aren't chrome, they're bare steel, with chrome covers
> held on by large Jubilee clips. The covers are £400+

At that price I would expect something better than jubilee clips!

Option 5. Find someone who can make you a new set in stainless steel?

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: Catalytic converters - do they get checked?

<iriif4Fk96iU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4361&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4361

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 08:21:07 +0100
 by: Eddie - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 07:21 UTC

On 24/09/2021 17:55, Salad Dodger wrote:

> 1: secure the valve in the "open" position, with a little JB Weld, or
> similar. Wait for a used set to appear eventually.
Do the engine diagnostics check whether the valve is operating correctly?

If not, can you just secure it and forget about it?

If it does check, can you get a servo eliminator to stop it complaining?

The KTM checks whether the valve is operating correctly, and complains
if it isn't, but doesn't tell you what it's complaining about, just that
there's somebody called General Failure. It also disables the traction
control and quick-shifter, which is more annoying.

I disconnected and removed the big chunk of servo gubbins, and replaced
it with a tiny little plug that persuades the diagnostics that the valve
is behaving itself, and everything starts working again. I've got a
feeling that it gets better mileage now, too.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Catalytic converters - do they get checked?

<p2f8lghqe3rlc97r047t8uus76sb51uriq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4371&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4371

From: salad.do...@idnet.com (Salad Dodger)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 11:17:29 +0100
 by: Salad Dodger - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:17 UTC

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 08:21:07 +0100, Eddie <eddie@deguello.org> wrote:

>On 24/09/2021 17:55, Salad Dodger wrote:
>>
>> 1: secure the valve in the "open" position, with a little JB Weld, or
>> similar. Wait for a used set to appear eventually.
>Do the engine diagnostics check whether the valve is operating correctly?

Seemingly not. It appears only to be for noise effects.

>If not, can you just secure it and forget about it?

This was done previously, by the dealership, when the cable snapped.

Nothing external to jam now, with the pulley somewhere in Wales.

Going to JB-Weld the spindle in the open position.
Silencer off, bit of timber up the pipe until it sets.

The plan to reinforce the bash plate needs modifying, due to the
location of the gearbox drain plug. Original solution would have
hidden it. It will be resolved. Somehow.
--
Salad Dodger
1690 FLHTK;GL1800D
Previously ...
CB1300SA8;GL1800A6;GL1500SEV;CBR1100XXX;
CBR1000FL;CBX1000Z;GPz750R;Z750E1;Z650C2;
KH500A8;KH250B3;TS250c;TS185c.

Re: Catalytic converters - do they get checked?

<XnsADB5E07CBE4E2wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4453&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4453

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 21:04:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 21:04 UTC

Eddie <eddie@deguello.org> wrote in news:iriif4Fk96iU1@mid.individual.net:

> On 24/09/2021 17:55, Salad Dodger wrote:
>>
>> 1: secure the valve in the "open" position, with a little JB Weld, or
>> similar. Wait for a used set to appear eventually.

do this

> Do the engine diagnostics check whether the valve is operating correctly?
>
> If not, can you just secure it and forget about it?
>
> If it does check, can you get a servo eliminator to stop it complaining?
>
> The KTM checks whether the valve is operating correctly, and complains
> if it isn't, but doesn't tell you what it's complaining about, just that
> there's somebody called General Failure. It also disables the traction
> control and quick-shifter, which is more annoying.
>
> I disconnected and removed the big chunk of servo gubbins, and replaced
> it with a tiny little plug that persuades the diagnostics that the valve
> is behaving itself, and everything starts working again. I've got a
> feeling that it gets better mileage now, too.

the "flappy valve" as BMW Boxer owners call them. Similar fault code,
similar plug in device to fool the ECU.

Often needed if pattern exhaust parts are used but the flaps also fail
fairly often. Fortunately always fail in the open position. It's not
checked at an MOT and only ever existed to meet noise regualtions at a
specified RPM.

Re: Catalytic converters - do they get checked?

<iro5pmFmke9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4469&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4469

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 11:21:41 +0100
 by: Eddie - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:21 UTC

On 30/09/2021 22:04, wessie wrote:

> the "flappy valve" as BMW Boxer owners call them. Similar fault code,
> similar plug in device to fool the ECU.
>
> Often needed if pattern exhaust parts are used but the flaps also fail
> fairly often. Fortunately always fail in the open position. It's not
> checked at an MOT and only ever existed to meet noise regualtions at a
> specified RPM.

Exactly. My Multistrada had the same problem. It only had one cable and
relied on the spring to open it again, which was more of a problem
because it would self-test when starting, pull the cable, stick in the
closed position, then not run properly. Cutting the cable and making
sure the valve was open just fixed it, no need for a fancy plug.

However, the valve was an integral part of the cat, not replaceable
separately, so Ducati ended up providing me with two complete new cats
while it was under warranty. Great design.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org