From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: They have a cunning plan
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 17:15:39 +0100
 by: tim... - Mon, 24 May 2021 16:15 UTC

"Roland Perry" <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3sBUKhOMmipgFAm4@perry.uk...
> In message <s84uf0$7rl$1@dont-email.me>, at 06:09:36 on Thu, 20 May 2021,
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>
>>Exact details of savings will be provided before tickets go on sale.
>
> So a minute to midnight on 20th June ;)
>
>>However, analysis shows that 2 day-a-week commuters buying multiple new
>>flexible season tickets could save the following in a year
>
> Is that an average of 2days a week every week, or two days a week every 52
> minus 5.6 weeks of the year?

so pretty useless for the 2 days per week commuter who wants to take a weeks
holiday, 5 times year (unless you can juggle the holiday dates exactly)

I don't think that they've thought this out properly

tim

Re: They have a cunning plan

<jiknagtdcj969n3oj6rdgiag21tg347u24@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=162&group=uk.railway#162

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 17:23:13 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 24 May 2021 16:23 UTC

On Mon, 24 May 2021 17:15:39 +0100, "tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Roland Perry" <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <s84uf0$7rl$1@dont-email.me>, at 06:09:36 on Thu, 20 May 2021,
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>>
>>>Exact details of savings will be provided before tickets go on sale.
>>
>> So a minute to midnight on 20th June ;)
>>
>>>However, analysis shows that 2 day-a-week commuters buying multiple new
>>>flexible season tickets could save the following in a year
>>
>> Is that an average of 2days a week every week, or two days a week every 52
>> minus 5.6 weeks of the year?
>
>so pretty useless for the 2 days per week commuter who wants to take a weeks
>holiday, 5 times year (unless you can juggle the holiday dates exactly)
>
>I don't think that they've thought this out properly

Unless said commuter uses the season ticket for additional leisure
journeys (as I used to do). I assume the ticket is valid for the
whole day and not limited to a single journey each way.

Re: They have a cunning plan

<0G60wLRvf$qgFANm@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=175&group=uk.railway#175

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 20:01:03 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 24 May 2021 19:01 UTC

In message <s8gjfb$jui$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:15:39 on Mon, 24 May
2021, tim... <timsnews99@gmail.com> remarked:

>"Roland Perry" <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <s84uf0$7rl$1@dont-email.me>, at 06:09:36 on Thu, 20 May
>>2021, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>>
>>>Exact details of savings will be provided before tickets go on sale.
>>
>> So a minute to midnight on 20th June ;)
>>
>>>However, analysis shows that 2 day-a-week commuters buying multiple new
>>>flexible season tickets could save the following in a year
>>
>> Is that an average of 2days a week every week, or two days a week
>>every 52 minus 5.6 weeks of the year?
>
>so pretty useless for the 2 days per week commuter who wants to take a
>weeks holiday, 5 times year (unless you can juggle the holiday dates
>exactly)
>
>I don't think that they've thought this out properly

The 8/28 commuter who takes holiday during the 28 days, while still only
commuting 2 days the other weeks is an edge case, where they would
probably save money by buying day tickets from the end of their previous
28 days, up to the start of the holiday, then resume the 8/28 when they
got back.

--
Roland Perry

Re: They have a cunning plan

<s8jgt6$mnc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=251&group=uk.railway#251

From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 19:50:14 +0100
 by: tim... - Tue, 25 May 2021 18:50 UTC

"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 May 2021 17:15:39 +0100, "tim..." <timsnews99@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Roland Perry" <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> In message <s84uf0$7rl$1@dont-email.me>, at 06:09:36 on Thu, 20 May
>>> 2021,
>>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> So a minute to midnight on 20th June ;)

>>> Is that an average of 2days a week every week, or two days a week every
>>> 52
>>> minus 5.6 weeks of the year?
>>
>>so pretty useless for the 2 days per week commuter who wants to take a
>>weeks
>>holiday, 5 times year (unless you can juggle the holiday dates exactly)
>>
>>I don't think that they've thought this out properly
>>
> Unless said commuter uses the season ticket for additional leisure
> journeys (as I used to do). I assume the ticket is valid for the
> whole day and not limited to a single journey each way.

No, I don't think so

Re: They have a cunning plan

<Bul5KYUU+mrgFAxt@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=373&group=uk.railway#373

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 16:56:04 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 26 May 2021 15:56 UTC

In message <s8jgt6$mnc$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:50:14 on Tue, 25 May
2021, tim... <timsnews99@gmail.com> remarked:

>>>so pretty useless for the 2 days per week commuter who wants to take
>>>a weeks
>>>holiday, 5 times year (unless you can juggle the holiday dates exactly)
>>>
>>>I don't think that they've thought this out properly
>>>
>> Unless said commuter uses the season ticket for additional leisure
>> journeys (as I used to do). I assume the ticket is valid for the
>> whole day and not limited to a single journey each way.
>
>No, I don't think so

The existing (quite recently introduced) second generation 10/28 carnets
(dubbed 'flexi-seasons' by most TOCs) are a mixture of one-shot return
tickets, and a one-day season (with all the multi-use that implies).

Having listened again to Shapps talking about it last week, there's
nothing to suggest the third generation 8/28 won't be like the latter.
But we may have to wait closer to 21st June before any of the vendors
describes their functionality explicitly.
--
Roland Perry

Re: They have a cunning plan

<71DHshFMa5rgFAG2@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=447&group=uk.railway#447

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 13:54:36 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 27 May 2021 12:54 UTC

In message <Bul5KYUU+mrgFAxt@perry.uk>, at 16:56:04 on Wed, 26 May 2021,
Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>In message <s8jgt6$mnc$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:50:14 on Tue, 25 May
>2021, tim... <timsnews99@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Unless said commuter uses the season ticket for additional leisure
>>> journeys (as I used to do). I assume the ticket is valid for the
>>> whole day and not limited to a single journey each way.
>>
>>No, I don't think so
>
>The existing (quite recently introduced) second generation 10/28
>carnets (dubbed 'flexi-seasons' by most TOCs) are a mixture of one-shot
>return tickets, and a one-day season (with all the multi-use that
>implies).
>
>Having listened again to Shapps talking about it last week, there's
>nothing to suggest the third generation 8/28 won't be like the latter.
>But we may have to wait closer to 21st June before any of the vendors
>describes their functionality explicitly.

Something about the pricing here (I've not listened to the committee
session in full yet):

Flexible tickets, which will offer savings on certain routes for
people who travel to work two or three times a week, will be at
least "20% cheaper" than current monthly tickets, Transport
Secretary Grant Shapps told a House of Commons committee.

<https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/60111/rail-reforms-will-make-train-
journeys-cheaper-and-more-punctual/>

Which should mean three days worth of tickets costing 80% of the weekly
season (because two-days-worth costing 80% would mean three being 120%).

Let's compare this with the "annual savings" bragged about in the DfT's
press release a week ago, compared to buying day tickets...

------------

In message <3sBUKhOMmipgFAm4@perry.uk>, at 10:19:08 on Thu, 20 May 2021,
Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:

>>when compared to the cost of daily tickets:
>
>Some actual official numbers at last. [I've picked a few for a sniff
>test]
>
>>over £250 from Woking to London
>
>Assuming they mean Waterloo (not Z2 etc), the daily Anytime is £23.50;
>if we spread the saving over 52 wks = 104 days: £2.40 a day, which is
>almost exactly 10%

Monthly season is £338.70, so 80% of that is £270.96, which is £22.58 a
day for four three-day weeks.

Angonamo - that's only 4% off buying Anytimes.

>>over £200 from York to Leeds
>
>£19.20, 1.92 [!], 10%

£241.60, £193.28, £16.10, 17%

>>over £60 from Southampton Central to Winchester
>>over £160 from Stafford to Birmingham
>
>£14.60, £1.54, 10.5%

£195.10, £156.08, £13.00, 11%

>>over £220 from Liverpool to Manchester
>
>>Three day-a-week commuters could save:
>>
>>over £220 from St Albans City to London
>>over £120 from Bromsgrove to Birmingham
>>over £90 from Weston-Super-Mare to Bristol Temple Meads
>>over £330 from Chelmsford to Stratford
>
>£25.70, £2.11 a day off, 8.2% off.

£392.50, £314.00, £26.17, 2% over.
--