This was the most unkindest cut of all. -- William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"

aus+uk / aus.legal / Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

SubjectAuthor
* Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Phil Allison
+* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Max
|+* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Phil Allison
||`* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Max
|| +* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Phil Allison
|| |`* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Max
|| | `- Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Phil Allison
|| `- Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Rod Speed
|`* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Rod Speed
| `* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Max
|  `* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Rod Speed
|   `* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Max
|    +- Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Phil Allison
|    `- Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Rod Speed
`* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Rod Speed
 `* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Phil Allison
  `* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Rod Speed
   `* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Phil Allison
    `* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Rod Speed
     `* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Phil Allison
      `* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Rod Speed
       `* Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Phil Allison
        `- Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?Rod Speed

1
Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<337fd0a0-59e6-4316-a099-2d62cfde3c4en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4453&group=aus.legal#4453

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 15:03:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 23:03 UTC

Hi,

voters in NSW are about to take part in an experiment when they go to vote at the upcoming council elections set for December 4.

Measures were rushed through parliament a few weeks back to add a new section to the Local Govt Act. The section allowed "election managers" to make enforceable regulations for the safety of voters re Covid infection.
This put the Electoral Commission charge of making the new regs.

The most significant one made relates to the handing out of " how to vote" material at polling booths during the pre-poll period and on election day.
It has been totally banned.
=====================

Also, boxes of such leaflets cannot be left for voters to use at any point closer than 100m from booths.There are also new rules about the use of posters ( aka coreflutes ) which must only be attached to surfaces and not on frames.

The problem is that voters do not know about the changes.
Many will turn up expecting to get leaflets and maybe talk to a candidate or campaigner - plus in a some cases get voter assistance from one.
They will be disappointed.

With no leaflets to guide them, many voters will make mistakes and vote informally or just Donkey vote. Also any preferencing arrangement their candidate would like honored is rendered moot.
Ok, so they can letterbox drop the leaflets instead - but very few voters ever save them to take when voting.

Other rules compel voters to wear masks throughout, maintain a 1.5 m distance from others, sign in with the Covid app and set limits on how many can be inside a booth.

I can imagine very long queues forming at busy times and on seeing this, voters who cannot spend an hour or more give up.

On 11 days prior to Dec 4, one can vote pre-poll with no excuse needed and this is being recommended by the Commission.
But it's all an experiment.

....... Phil

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<smn0q5$1lpm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4460&group=aus.legal#4460

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Subject: Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 11:27:47 +1100
 by: Max - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 00:27 UTC

On 13/11/2021 10:03 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> voters in NSW are about to take part in an experiment when they go to vote at the upcoming council elections set for December 4.
>
> Measures were rushed through parliament a few weeks back to add a new section to the Local Govt Act. The section allowed "election managers" to make enforceable regulations for the safety of voters re Covid infection.
> This put the Electoral Commission charge of making the new regs.
>
> The most significant one made relates to the handing out of " how to vote" material at polling booths during the pre-poll period and on election day.
> It has been totally banned.
> =====================
>
> Also, boxes of such leaflets cannot be left for voters to use at any point closer than 100m from booths.There are also new rules about the use of posters ( aka coreflutes ) which must only be attached to surfaces and not on frames.
>
> The problem is that voters do not know about the changes.
> Many will turn up expecting to get leaflets and maybe talk to a candidate or campaigner - plus in a some cases get voter assistance from one.
> They will be disappointed.
>
> With no leaflets to guide them, many voters will make mistakes and vote informally or just Donkey vote. Also any preferencing arrangement their candidate would like honored is rendered moot.
> Ok, so they can letterbox drop the leaflets instead - but very few voters ever save them to take when voting.
>
> Other rules compel voters to wear masks throughout, maintain a 1.5 m distance from others, sign in with the Covid app and set limits on how many can be inside a booth.
>
> I can imagine very long queues forming at busy times and on seeing this, voters who cannot spend an hour or more give up.
>
> On 11 days prior to Dec 4, one can vote pre-poll with no excuse needed and this is being recommended by the Commission.
> But it's all an experiment.

NSW is one of the only states where voting in council elections is
compulsory. Why does NSW go out on its own in doing this?

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<981e4389-3cdd-4318-bfef-46bf9db192c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4461&group=aus.legal#4461

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 16:47:52 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 00:47 UTC

Max The Fuckwit TROLL wrote:
============
> NSW is one of the only states where voting in council elections is
> compulsory.

** Bullshit.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<smn5cu$13sr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4462&group=aus.legal#4462

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:46:04 +1100
 by: Max - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 01:46 UTC

On 13/11/2021 11:47 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Max The Fuckwit TROLL wrote:
> ============
>> NSW is one of the only states where voting in council elections is
>> compulsory.
>
> ** Bullshit.

Compulsory council election voting by state:

NSW: yes
Qld: yes
NT: yes
SA: no
Vic: no, except in Melbourne City Council
WA: no
Tas: no
ACT: no

So the majority of states it is not compulsory.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<iv8kjdFa587U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4463&group=aus.legal#4463

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:01:13 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:01 UTC

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote

> voters in NSW are about to take part in an experiment when they
> go to vote at the upcoming council elections set for December 4.

> Measures were rushed through parliament a few weeks back to add a new
> section to the Local Govt Act. The section allowed "election managers"
> to make enforceable regulations for the safety of voters re Covid
> infection.
> This put the Electoral Commission charge of making the new regs.

> The most significant one made relates to the handing
> out of " how to vote" material at polling booths
> during the pre-poll period and on election day.
> It has been totally banned.

Going to be interesting to see if that makes any difference.

In ours. the Business Council, whoever they are, have
got the candidates to post a spiel about themselves
with a photo of the candidate in the local free news
group in facebook. But its not at all clear how many
read those or even that group.

> Also, boxes of such leaflets cannot be left for voters
> to use at any point closer than 100m from booths.
> There are also new rules about the use of posters
> ( aka coreflutes ) which must only be attached to
> surfaces and not on frames.

> The problem is that voters do not know about the changes.
> Many will turn up expecting to get leaflets

The one time I did assist a mate of mine who was a local govt
candidate, few who showed up at the polling station did want
one of those, most had one almost forced on them and it isn't
at all clear how many actually used them to vote with.

> and maybe talk to a candidate or campaigner

We did see quite a few clearly recognise one of the candidates
and greeted him. One of the local sports fools, footy. Needless
to say he did get elected, presumably just because he was one
of the few anyone recognised.

> - plus in a some cases get voter assistance from one.
> They will be disappointed.

> With no leaflets to guide them, many voters
> will make mistakes and vote informally

Going to be intesting to see if that number changes much.

Our candidates mostly do form informal groups and since
that isn't shown on the ballot paper, unlike with the state
upper house and the federal senate, it will be interesting
to see if that has an effect too.

> or just Donkey vote. Also any preferencing arrangement
> their candidate would like honored is rendered moot.

Not if they do remember the candidates or choose
to use the how to vote card they choose to pick up.

> Ok, so they can letterbox drop the leaflets instead - but
> very few voters ever save them to take when voting.

We haven't seen that yet, but its still a few weeks early yet.

> Other rules compel voters to wear masks throughout,

Cant see that being a problem since the supermarkets do that.

> maintain a 1.5 m distance from others,

That’s mostly ignored in the supermarkets except in the queue at the
checkout.

> sign in with the Covid app

Large numbers don’t bother at the supermarkets, in fact most don’t bother.

> and set limits on how many can be inside a booth.

That’s reasonable, but its less clearly how well that will be enforced.

> I can imagine very long queues forming at busy times

Going to be interesting to see if that happens.

> and on seeing this, voters who cannot
> spend an hour or more give up.

Unlikely given the fine for not voting but again
it will be interesting to see if that happens.

> On 11 days prior to Dec 4, one can vote pre-poll
> with no excuse needed and this is being
> recommended by the Commission.

Hell of a lot of ours have been doing that with elections now.

> But it's all an experiment.

So is the virus.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<7e00d4b4-64c3-41b2-b5da-4382e5a1588an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4465&group=aus.legal#4465

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 18:06:10 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:06 UTC

Max The Fuckwit TROLL wrote:
============
> >> NSW is one of the only states where voting in council elections is
> >> compulsory.
> >
> > ** Bullshit.
> >
> Compulsory council election voting by state:
>
> NSW: yes
> Qld: yes
> NT: yes
> SA: no
> Vic: no, except in Melbourne City Council
> WA: no
> Tas: no
> ACT: no
>
> So the majority of states it is not compulsory.

** Nothing like the BULLSHIT you posted before.
The ACT is *not* a state.
So 4 out of 7 have voting compulsions.

...... Phil

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<iv8lqmFacr8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4469&group=aus.legal#4469

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:22:10 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:22 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
> Phil Allison wrote

>> voters in NSW are about to take part in an experiment when they go to
>> vote at the upcoming council elections set for December 4.
>>
>> Measures were rushed through parliament a few weeks back to add a new
>> section to the Local Govt Act. The section allowed "election managers"
>> to make enforceable regulations for the safety of voters re Covid
>> infection.
>> This put the Electoral Commission charge of making the new regs.
>>
>> The most significant one made relates to the handing out of " how to
>> vote" material at polling booths during the pre-poll period and on
>> election day.
>> It has been totally banned.
>> =====================
>>
>> Also, boxes of such leaflets cannot be left for voters to use at any
>> point closer than 100m from booths.There are also new rules about the use
>> of posters ( aka coreflutes ) which must only be attached to surfaces and
>> not on frames.
>>
>> The problem is that voters do not know about the changes.
>> Many will turn up expecting to get leaflets and maybe talk to a candidate
>> or campaigner - plus in a some cases get voter assistance from one.
>> They will be disappointed.
>>
>> With no leaflets to guide them, many voters will make mistakes and vote
>> informally or just Donkey vote. Also any preferencing arrangement their
>> candidate would like honored is rendered moot.
>> Ok, so they can letterbox drop the leaflets instead - but very few
>> voters ever save them to take when voting.
>>
>> Other rules compel voters to wear masks throughout, maintain a 1.5 m
>> distance from others, sign in with the Covid app and set limits on how
>> many can be inside a booth.
>>
>> I can imagine very long queues forming at busy times and on seeing this,
>> voters who cannot spend an hour or more give up.
>>
>> On 11 days prior to Dec 4, one can vote pre-poll with no excuse needed
>> and this is being recommended by the Commission.
>> But it's all an experiment.
>>

> NSW is one of the only states where voting in council elections is
> compulsory. Why does NSW go out on its own in doing this?

It doesn’t, its also compulsory in Vic and for the same reason it is
compulsory in state and federal elections.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<smn7n1$1p0v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4470&group=aus.legal#4470

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:25:37 +1100
 by: Max - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:25 UTC

On 13/11/2021 1:22 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
>> Phil Allison wrote
>
>>> voters in NSW are about to take part in an experiment when they go to
>>> vote at the upcoming council elections set for December 4.
>>>
>>> Measures were rushed through parliament a few weeks back to add a new
>>> section to the Local Govt Act.  The section allowed "election
>>> managers" to make enforceable regulations for the safety of voters re
>>> Covid infection.
>>> This put the Electoral Commission charge of making the new regs.
>>>
>>> The most significant one made relates to the handing out of " how to
>>> vote"  material at polling booths during the pre-poll period and on
>>> election day.
>>> It has been totally banned.
>>> =====================
>>>
>>> Also, boxes of such leaflets cannot be left for voters to use at any
>>> point closer than 100m from booths.There are also new rules about the
>>> use of posters ( aka coreflutes ) which must only be attached to
>>> surfaces and not on frames.
>>>
>>> The problem is that voters do not know about the changes.
>>> Many will turn up expecting to get leaflets and maybe talk to a
>>> candidate or campaigner  -  plus in a some cases get voter assistance
>>> from one.
>>> They will be disappointed.
>>>
>>> With no leaflets to guide them, many voters will make mistakes and
>>> vote informally or just Donkey vote. Also any preferencing
>>> arrangement their candidate would like honored is rendered moot.
>>> Ok, so they can letterbox drop the leaflets instead  -  but very few
>>> voters ever save them to take when voting.
>>>
>>> Other rules compel voters to wear masks throughout, maintain a 1.5 m
>>> distance from others, sign in with the Covid app and set limits on
>>> how many can be inside a booth.
>>>
>>> I can imagine very long queues forming at busy times and on seeing
>>> this, voters who cannot spend an hour or more give up.
>>>
>>> On 11 days prior to Dec 4, one can vote pre-poll with no excuse
>>> needed and this is being recommended by the Commission.
>>> But it's all an experiment.
>>>

>> NSW is one of the only states where voting in council elections is
>> compulsory.  Why does NSW go out on its own in doing this?
>
> It doesn’t, its also compulsory in Vic and for the same reason it is
> compulsory in state and federal elections.

Vic is only compulsory for Melbourne City Council elections.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<iv8m14FadogU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4471&group=aus.legal#4471

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:25:36 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:25 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
> Phil Allison wrote
>> Max wrote

>>> NSW is one of the only states where voting in council elections is
>>> compulsory.

>> Bullshit.

> Compulsory council election voting by state:
>
> NSW: yes
> Qld: yes
> NT: yes
> SA: no
> Vic: no, except in Melbourne City Council

Wrong, as always.
https://knowyourcouncil.vic.gov.au/guide-to-councils/council-elections/voting-in-an-election#:~:text=The%20voting%20process,not%20have%20an%20acceptable%20reason.

> WA: no
> Tas: no
> ACT: no

ACT doesn’t have councils, stupid.

> So the majority of states it is not compulsory.

Wrong, as always.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<a2bdc5c7-bcbe-4e7f-967f-97d3bb72bd7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4472&group=aus.legal#4472

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 18:26:18 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:26 UTC

Rod Speed wrote:
=============>
> The one time I did assist a mate of mine who was a local govt
> candidate, few who showed up at the polling station did want
> one of those, most had one almost forced on them and it isn't
> at all clear how many actually used them to vote with.

** Most do.

They either take one from a campaigner, have one on them, find one in the voting box or pick one out of the disguards bin.

> Our candidates mostly do form informal groups and since
> that isn't shown on the ballot paper, unlike with the state
> upper house and the federal senate, it will be interesting
> to see if that has an effect too.

** Most councils have wards and most candidates form groups.
Voting is optional / preferential plus above & below the line.
So quite complicated and easy to stuff up.

> > Other rules compel voters to wear masks throughout,
> Cant see that being a problem since the supermarkets do that.

** Applies to voters in queues - so applies long before they sign in.
The Commission will have extra staff at every booth to police that.

The Inner West Council has about 50 booths, others even more.
There are several *thousand* candidates standing in NSW.

> > and set limits on how many can be inside a booth.
> That’s reasonable, but its less clearly how well that will be enforced.

** Booth doors will have several staff there to do that.

> > I can imagine very long queues forming at busy times
> Going to be interesting to see if that happens.
> > and on seeing this, voters who cannot
> > spend an hour or more give up.

> Unlikely given the fine for not voting but again
> it will be interesting to see if that happens.

** Fine is only $20.
Excuse of " queue was far to long" must be accepted.

..... Phil

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<iv8m48Faea7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4473&group=aus.legal#4473

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:27:16 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:27 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote

<smn8qp$438$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4475&group=aus.legal#4475

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:44:41 +1100
 by: Max - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:44 UTC

On 13/11/2021 1:27 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Max <max@val.morgan> wrote

>>> It doesn’t, its also compulsory in Vic and for the same reason it is
>>> compulsory in state and federal elections.
>>
>> Vic is only compulsory for Melbourne City Council elections.
>
> Wrong. as always
> https://knowyourcouncil.vic.gov.au/guide-to-councils/council-elections/voting-in-an-election#:~:text=The%20voting%20process,not%20have%20an%20acceptable%20reason.

"Council-enrolled voters include people such as ratepayers who qualify
to be automatically enrolled by the council, or who apply to council to
be enrolled.

It is not compulsory for council-enrolled voters to vote, except in
Melbourne City Council."

https://www.vec.vic.gov.au/enrolment/enrolling-for-local-council-elections#:~:text=It%20is%20not%20compulsory%20for,voter%20within%20the%20council%20area.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<10417ae6-ba34-403c-a52d-c9f8e4d848c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4476&group=aus.legal#4476

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 18:56:26 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:56 UTC

Max the MORON CANNOT READ wrote:

============================

> > Wrong. as always
>
> > https://knowyourcouncil.vic.gov.au/guide-to-councils/council-elections/voting-in-an-election#:~:text=The%20voting%20process,not%20have%20an%20acceptable%20reason.
> >
> "Council-enrolled voters include people such as ratepayers who qualify
> to be automatically enrolled by the council, or who apply to council to
> be enrolled.
>
> It is not compulsory for council-enrolled voters to vote, except in
> Melbourne City Council."

** There are only a hand full of "council enrolled" voters.
Cos they are folk who live outside the electorate but pay rates on a property that lies inside.

Fucking learn to read !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,

..... Phil

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<smn9gk$9s9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4477&group=aus.legal#4477

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:56:20 +1100
 by: Max - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:56 UTC

On 13/11/2021 1:06 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> Max The Fuckwit TROLL wrote:
> ============
>>>
>>> ** Bullshit.
>>>
>> Compulsory council election voting by state:
>>
>> NSW: yes
>> Qld: yes
>> NT: yes
>> SA: no
>> Vic: no, except in Melbourne City Council
>> WA: no
>> Tas: no
>> ACT: no
>>
>> So the majority of states it is not compulsory.
>
> ** Nothing like the BULLSHIT you posted before.
> The ACT is *not* a state.
> So 4 out of 7 have voting compulsions.

Neither is NT a state, so it is 2 out of 6 have compulsory voting.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<041f1c85-6189-4d14-88dc-d6b4f7c284d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4478&group=aus.legal#4478

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 18:59:09 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:59 UTC

Max The Fuckwit TROLL wrote:
=========================

> >> Compulsory council election voting by state:
> >>
> >> NSW: yes
> >> Qld: yes
> >> SA: no
> >> Vic: yes
> >> WA: no
> >> Tas: no
>

> Neither is NT a state, so it is 2 out of 6 have compulsory voting.

** Wrong: it is 3 out of 6 - you fuckhead,

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<iv8qikFb6g9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4479&group=aus.legal#4479

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 14:43:12 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 03:43 UTC

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> The one time I did assist a mate of mine who was a local govt
>> candidate, few who showed up at the polling station did want
>> one of those, most had one almost forced on them and it isn't
>> at all clear how many actually used them to vote with.

> Most do.

That’s very far from clear with council elections.

> They either take one from a campaigner,

But its less clear how many actually use those when voting.

> have one on them,

Few bother.

> find one in the voting box or pick one out of the disguards bin.

Fuck all do either, particularly in council elections.

>> Our candidates mostly do form informal groups and
>> since that isn't shown on the ballot paper, unlike with
>> the state upper house and the federal senate, it will
>> be interesting to see if that has an effect too.

> Most councils have wards and most candidates form groups.
> Voting is optional / preferential plus above & below the line.

Not clear if that’s true of council elections.

> So quite complicated and easy to stuff up.

>>> Other rules compel voters to wear masks throughout,

>> Cant see that being a problem since the supermarkets do that.

> Applies to voters in queues - so applies long before they sign in.
> The Commission will have extra staff at every booth to police that.

Still cant see it being a problem since all supermarkets require it.

> The Inner West Council has about 50 booths, others even more.
> There are several *thousand* candidates standing in NSW.

Yeah, dozens in mine.

>>> and set limits on how many can be inside a booth.

>> That’s reasonable, but its less clearly how well that will be enforced.

> Booth doors will have several staff there to do that.

And it remains to be seen how well they do that since it hasn’t been done
before.

>>> I can imagine very long queues forming at busy times

>> Going to be interesting to see if that happens.

>>> and on seeing this, voters who cannot
>>> spend an hour or more give up.

>> Unlikely given the fine for not voting but again
>> it will be interesting to see if that happens.

> Fine is only $20.

> Excuse of " queue was far to long" must be accepted.

Bullshit.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<iv8qqbFb7n5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4481&group=aus.legal#4481

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 14:47:19 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 03:47 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Vic is only compulsory for Melbourne City Council elections.
>>
>> Wrong. as always
>> https://knowyourcouncil.vic.gov.au/guide-to-councils/council-elections/voting-in-an-election#:~:text=The%20voting%20process,not%20have%20an%20acceptable%20reason.

> "Council-enrolled voters include people such as ratepayers who qualify to
> be automatically enrolled by the council, or who apply to council to be
> enrolled.
>
> It is not compulsory for council-enrolled voters to vote, except in
> Melbourne City Council."
>
> https://www.vec.vic.gov.au/enrolment/enrolling-for-local-council-elections#:~:text=It%20is%20not%20compulsory%20for,voter%20within%20the%20council%20area.

That conflicts with my link.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<01eec5fb-eba2-4ca5-b8a4-83e78b0520abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4482&group=aus.legal#4482

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!border2.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 19:51:26 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 03:51 UTC

Rod Speed Just makes facts UP wrote:
==============================
> >> The one time I did assist a mate of mine who was a local govt
> >> candidate, few who showed up at the polling station did want
> >> one of those, most had one almost forced on them and it isn't
> >> at all clear how many actually used them to vote with.
>
> > Most do.
>
> That’s very far from clear with council elections.

** True where I live - Inner West of Sydney.

Fuck knows what backwoods shit hole you live in.
> > They either take one from a campaigner,

> But its less clear how many actually use those when voting.

** If the *take * one, they do.

> > have one on them,
>
> Few bother.

> > find one in the voting box or pick one out of the disguards bin.
> Fuck all do either, particularly in council elections.

** The voting boxes have them ALL THE TIME

> >> Our candidates mostly do form informal groups and
> >> since that isn't shown on the ballot paper, unlike with
> >> the state upper house and the federal senate, it will
> >> be interesting to see if that has an effect too.

> > Most councils have wards and most candidates form groups.
> > Voting is optional / preferential plus above & below the line.
>
> Not clear if that’s true of council elections.

** GIANT huh ??

There is only * one voting system* use for local councisl in NSW,

> >> Cant see that being a problem since the supermarkets do that.
> > Applies to voters in queues - so applies long before they sign in.
>
> > The Commission will have extra staff at every booth to police that.
>
> Still cant see it being a problem since all supermarkets require it.

** They do not have 100m long queues.

> > The Inner West Council has about 50 booths, others even more.
> > There are several *thousand* candidates standing in NSW.
>
> Yeah, dozens in mine.

> >> That’s reasonable, but its less clearly how well that will be enforced.
> > Booth doors will have several staff there to do that.
>
> And it remains to be seen how well they do that since it hasn’t been done
> before.

** It has, but not so strictly.

> >> Unlikely given the fine for not voting but again
> >> it will be interesting to see if that happens.
> > Fine is only $20.
>
> > Excuse of " queue was far to long" must be accepted.
> Bullshit.

** You just watch.

...... Phil

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<iv8uepFbrmjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4483&group=aus.legal#4483

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 15:49:25 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 04:49 UTC

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Most do.

>> That’s very far from clear with council elections.

> True where I live - Inner West of Sydney.

You have no way to know how many use them to vote with.

>>> They either take one from a campaigner,

>> But its less clear how many actually use those when voting.

> If the *take * one, they do.

Mindless bullshit, plenty are just polite enough to accept one offered.

>>> have one on them,

>> Few bother.

>>> find one in the voting box or pick one out of the disguards bin.

>> Fuck all do either, particularly in council elections.

> The voting boxes have them ALL THE TIME

But its less clear how many use them when voting.

>>> Most councils have wards and most candidates form groups.
>>> Voting is optional / preferential plus above & below the line.

>> Not clear if that’s true of council elections.

> GIANT huh ??

> There is only * one voting system* use for local councisl in NSW,

But its less clear if the above and below the line applys, let
alone how many boxes have to be numbered below the line.

>>> Applies to voters in queues - so applies long before they sign in.

>>> The Commission will have extra staff at every booth to police that.

>> Still cant see it being a problem since all supermarkets require it.

> They do not have 100m long queues.

You don’t know that the council elections will do this time.

Plenty will vote ahead of election day and online.

>>> The Inner West Council has about 50 booths, others even more.
>>> There are several *thousand* candidates standing in NSW.

>> Yeah, dozens in mine.

>>> Booth doors will have several staff there to do that.

>> And it remains to be seen how well they
>> do that since it hasn’t been done before.

> It has,

No it has not.

> but not so strictly.

>>> Fine is only $20.

>>> Excuse of " queue was far to long" must be accepted.

>> Bullshit.

> You just watch.

Yep, I'll watch it not being accepted as a valid reason for not voting.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<54efffa0-a6af-45ec-9dce-e968a28a32d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4484&group=aus.legal#4484

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 21:04:52 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 05:04 UTC

Rod Speed wrote:
==============>

> >> That’s very far from clear with council elections.
> > True where I live - Inner West of Sydney.
>
> You have no way to know how many use them to vote with.

** I do actually,

> >> But its less clear how many actually use those when voting.
>
> > If the *take * one, they do.

> Mindless bullshit, plenty are just polite enough to accept one offered.

** Read what I wrote - many ask for one at *council elections*.
Makes voting FAR FAR easier for them.
Specially illiterates and non-english reading folk.
r.

> >> Fuck all do either, particularly in council elections.
> > The voting boxes have them ALL THE TIME
> But its less clear how many use them when voting.

** It's the one that have no other - Rid.

> >> Not clear if that’s true of council elections.

> > GIANT huh ??
>
> > There is only * one voting system* use for local councils in NSW,
>
> But its less clear if the above and below the line applys, let
> alone how many boxes have to be numbered below the line.

** Straw man idiocy.

> >> Still cant see it being a problem since all supermarkets require it.
> > They do not have 100m long queues.
>
> You don’t know that the council elections will do this time.

** Rodbot Gibberish.

> Plenty will vote ahead of election day and online.

** The pre-polls are where long queues will happen at rush times.
Cos of only ONE such venue in each ward.
FYI: On-line voting is LIMITED to the disabled only !!

> >> Bullshit.

> > You just watch.
>
> Yep, I'll watch it not being accepted as a valid reason for not voting.

** Yes it will - if the stuff ups I see coming arrive.

..... Phil

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<iv94inFcub5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4485&group=aus.legal#4485

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 17:33:55 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 06:33 UTC

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> True where I live - Inner West of Sydney.

>> You have no way to know how many use them to vote with.

> I do actually,

Corse you don’t, the most you might have seen is a few doing that.

>>> If the *take * one, they do.

>> Mindless bullshit, plenty are just polite enough to accept one offered.

> Read what I wrote - many ask for one at *council elections*.

Bullshit.

> Makes voting FAR FAR easier for them.
> Specially illiterates and non-english reading folk.

And unemployable dole bludgers like you.

>>> The voting boxes have them ALL THE TIME

>> But its less clear how many use them when voting.

> It's the one that have no other

Try that again in english, even google translate doesn’t do gobbledegook
yet.

>>> GIANT huh ??

>>> There is only * one voting system* use for local councils in NSW,

>> But its less clear if the above and below the line applys, let
>> alone how many boxes have to be numbered below the line.

Particularly with councils that have the ward
system where you only get to vote for one
candidate so there is no above and below the line.

>>> They do not have 100m long queues.

>> You don’t know that the council elections will do this time.

>> Plenty will vote ahead of election day and online.

> The pre-polls are where long queues will happen at rush times.

Bet that isn't true and you cant claim that you couldn’t vote
because you can do a postal vote.

> Cos of only ONE such venue in each ward.

But there is still postal and electronic voting.

> FYI: On-line voting is LIMITED to the disabled only !!

Wrong, as always.

>>> You just watch.

>> Yep, I'll watch it not being accepted as a valid reason for not voting.

> Yes it will - if the stuff ups I see coming arrive.

They ain't gunna, you watch.

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<37c2e245-098c-4b92-93b8-3e08887bc9e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4486&group=aus.legal#4486

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 23:30:20 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 07:30 UTC

Rod Speed wrote:
=============>>

> >> You have no way to know how many use them to vote with.
> > I do actually,
>
> Corse you don’t,

** Yes I do.

> >> Mindless bullshit, plenty are just polite enough to accept one offered..
> > Read what I wrote - many ask for one at *council elections*.
> Bullshit.

** ROTFL !!

=======================================

> >> But its less clear how many use them when voting.
> > It's the ones that have no other

> Try that again in english,

** Learn to read - fuckwit

> Particularly with councils that have the ward
> system where you only get to vote for one
> candidate so there is no above and below the line.

** Single councillor wards are rare.

All 3 or 4 round Sydney.

> >> Plenty will vote ahead of election day and online.

> > The pre-polls are where long queues will happen at rush times.
>
> Bet that isn't true and you cant claim that you couldn’t vote
> because you can do a postal vote.

** Totally * irrelevant * to the issue.

> > Cos of only ONE such venue in each ward.
> But there is still postal and electronic voting.

** Irrelevant and WRONG !!

> > FYI: On-line voting is LIMITED to the disabled only !!
> Wrong, as always.

** Look it up - you fucking FUCKWIT !!

..... Phil

Re: Council Election during Covid Crisis ?

<iv9aoaFe0mfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4487&group=aus.legal#4487

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 19:19:17 +1100
References: <337fd0a0-59e6-4316-a099-2d62cfde3c4en@googlegroups.com> <iv8kjdFa587U1@mid.individual.net> <a2bdc5c7-bcbe-4e7f-967f-97d3bb72bd7fn@googlegroups.com> <iv8qikFb6g9U1@mid.individual.net> <01eec5fb-eba2-4ca5-b8a4-83e78b0520abn@googlegroups.com> <iv8uepFbrmjU1@mid.individual.net> <54efffa0-a6af-45ec-9dce-e968a28a32d5n@googlegroups.com> <iv94inFcub5U1@mid.individual.net> <37c2e245-098c-4b92-93b8-3e08887bc9e2n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 08:19 UTC

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> > I do actually,

>> Corse you don’t,

>> > Read what I wrote - many ask for one at *council elections*.

>> Bullshit.

>> > It's the ones that have no other
>
>> Try that again in english,

>> Particularly with councils that have the ward
>> system where you only get to vote for one
>> candidate so there is no above and below the line.

>> > The pre-polls are where long queues will happen at rush times.
>>
>> Bet that isn't true and you cant claim that you couldn’t vote
>> because you can do a postal vote.

>> > Cos of only ONE such venue in each ward.

>> But there is still postal and electronic voting.

>> > FYI: On-line voting is LIMITED to the disabled only !!
>> Wrong, as always.

Whoops none of your shit left, wota surprise.