Let's not complicate our relationship by trying to communicate with each other.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...

SubjectAuthor
* Caught up with a friend yesterday and...Xeno
+* Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...Yosemite Sam
|`* Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...Xeno
| `* Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...Yosemite Sam
|  `- Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...Xeno
`* Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...Clocky
 `* Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...Xeno
  `* Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...Clocky
   `- Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...Xeno

1
Caught up with a friend yesterday and...

<ipdejaFb0o3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4587&group=aus.cars#4587

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 12:11:52 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 02:11 UTC

he had driven into town in his MGB. I'd never seen this car prior since
it was always out on his farm deep in the hinterland. The only time I'd
ever been to his farm was the day he just happened to be in Cairns for a
family gathering - poor timing on my part.

Coincidentally, our cars were parked opposite each other. He told me how
he had acquired his MGB. It was completely disassembled and sitting in a
shed out on a farm. The previous owner had intended to restore it, got
it dismantled - and there it remained for the next ten years. The body
shell had been stripped, even of the wiring looms, and had been
repainted but that was about the extent of the restoration's progress.
Even then, the nicely painted shell had suffered a few scrapes whilst in
storage. Everything else was completely dismantled and stored in
numerous boxes, even the engine - it was a giant puzzle.

It has now been reassembled, the engine reconditioned and the total cost
so far has been ~$2,000. He tells me it is currently worth about $22,000
as it is still in need of a (re)paint job. I think, personally, that it
would be worth more in the current climate given the stupid money people
are willing to pay for such old cars. The MGB is certainly a desirable
car, much more desirable than a $50k ancient F100 and way more fun to
drive. One drives like a sports car, one drives like a truck, I know
which I'd prefer.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...

<ipdhoeFbi9nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4591&group=aus.cars#4591

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 13:08:02 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 03:08 UTC

On 3/09/2021 12:11 pm, Xeno wrote:
> he had driven into town in his MGB. I'd never seen this car prior
> since it was always out on his farm deep in the hinterland. The only
> time I'd ever been to his farm was the day he just happened to be in
> Cairns for a family gathering - poor timing on my part.
>
> Coincidentally, our cars were parked opposite each other. He told me
> how he had acquired his MGB. It was completely disassembled and
> sitting in a shed out on a farm. The previous owner had intended to
> restore it, got it dismantled - and there it remained for the next ten
> years. The body shell had been stripped, even of the wiring looms, and
> had been repainted but that was about the extent of the restoration's
> progress. Even then, the nicely painted shell had suffered a few
> scrapes whilst in storage. Everything else was completely dismantled
> and stored in numerous boxes, even the engine - it was a giant puzzle.
>
> It has now been reassembled, the engine reconditioned and the total
> cost so far has been ~$2,000. He tells me it is currently worth about
> $22,000 as it is still in need of a (re)paint job. I think,
> personally, that it would be worth more in the current climate given
> the stupid money people are willing to pay for such old cars. The MGB
> is certainly a desirable car, much more desirable than a $50k ancient
> F100 and way more fun to drive. One drives like a sports car, one
> drives like a truck, I know which I'd prefer.

wot no pics??

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...

<ipdi5sFbjvhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4594&group=aus.cars#4594

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 13:13:00 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 03:13 UTC

On 3/9/21 1:08 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 3/09/2021 12:11 pm, Xeno wrote:
>> he had driven into town in his MGB. I'd never seen this car prior
>> since it was always out on his farm deep in the hinterland. The only
>> time I'd ever been to his farm was the day he just happened to be in
>> Cairns for a family gathering - poor timing on my part.
>>
>> Coincidentally, our cars were parked opposite each other. He told me
>> how he had acquired his MGB. It was completely disassembled and
>> sitting in a shed out on a farm. The previous owner had intended to
>> restore it, got it dismantled - and there it remained for the next ten
>> years. The body shell had been stripped, even of the wiring looms, and
>> had been repainted but that was about the extent of the restoration's
>> progress. Even then, the nicely painted shell had suffered a few
>> scrapes whilst in storage. Everything else was completely dismantled
>> and stored in numerous boxes, even the engine - it was a giant puzzle.
>>
>> It has now been reassembled, the engine reconditioned and the total
>> cost so far has been ~$2,000. He tells me it is currently worth about
>> $22,000 as it is still in need of a (re)paint job. I think,
>> personally, that it would be worth more in the current climate given
>> the stupid money people are willing to pay for such old cars. The MGB
>> is certainly a desirable car, much more desirable than a $50k ancient
>> F100 and way more fun to drive. One drives like a sports car, one
>> drives like a truck, I know which I'd prefer.
>>

> wot no pics??

Too busy chatting, forgot to take any. Never mind, when I get out to the
farm after the lockdown bullshit is over, I'll post some. He also has an
MG TC out on the farm that he is restoring. Both he and his brother are
heavily into restorations. They are also both qualified mechanics.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...

<ipdj5kFbqooU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4599&group=aus.cars#4599

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 13:32:07 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 03:32 UTC

On 3/09/2021 1:13 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 3/9/21 1:08 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>> On 3/09/2021 12:11 pm, Xeno wrote:
>>> he had driven into town in his MGB. I'd never seen this car prior
>>> since it was always out on his farm deep in the hinterland. The only
>>> time I'd ever been to his farm was the day he just happened to be in
>>> Cairns for a family gathering - poor timing on my part.
>>>
>>> Coincidentally, our cars were parked opposite each other. He told me
>>> how he had acquired his MGB. It was completely disassembled and
>>> sitting in a shed out on a farm. The previous owner had intended to
>>> restore it, got it dismantled - and there it remained for the next
>>> ten years. The body shell had been stripped, even of the wiring
>>> looms, and had been repainted but that was about the extent of the
>>> restoration's progress. Even then, the nicely painted shell had
>>> suffered a few scrapes whilst in storage. Everything else was
>>> completely dismantled and stored in numerous boxes, even the engine
>>> - it was a giant puzzle.
>>>
>>> It has now been reassembled, the engine reconditioned and the total
>>> cost so far has been ~$2,000. He tells me it is currently worth
>>> about $22,000 as it is still in need of a (re)paint job. I think,
>>> personally, that it would be worth more in the current climate given
>>> the stupid money people are willing to pay for such old cars. The
>>> MGB is certainly a desirable car, much more desirable than a $50k
>>> ancient F100 and way more fun to drive. One drives like a sports
>>> car, one drives like a truck, I know which I'd prefer.
>>>

>> wot no pics??
>>

> Too busy chatting, forgot to take any. Never mind, when I get out to
> the farm after the lockdown bullshit is over, I'll post some. He also
> has an MG TC out on the farm that he is restoring. Both he and his
> brother are heavily into restorations. They are also both qualified
> mechanics.

my BIL had an MGB shortly after he got married. sis made him sell the
petrol powered two wheel thing. :) (too dangerous) ironically he now has
one of these .. https://tinyurl.com/4v4ea2wp

but at least they live in the country, so safer than dodging ice addled
morons in the suburbs.

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...

<sgs5f9$puf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4601&group=aus.cars#4601

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:40:27 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 03:40 UTC

On 3/09/2021 10:11 am, Xeno wrote:
> he had driven into town in his MGB. I'd never seen this car prior since
> it was always out on his farm deep in the hinterland. The only time I'd
> ever been to his farm was the day he just happened to be in Cairns for a
> family gathering - poor timing on my part.
>
> Coincidentally, our cars were parked opposite each other. He told me how
> he had acquired his MGB. It was completely disassembled and sitting in a
> shed out on a farm. The previous owner had intended to restore it, got
> it dismantled - and there it remained for the next ten years. The body
> shell had been stripped, even of the wiring looms, and had been
> repainted but that was about the extent of the restoration's progress.
> Even then, the nicely painted shell had suffered a few scrapes whilst in
> storage. Everything else was completely dismantled and stored in
> numerous boxes, even the engine - it was a giant puzzle.
>
> It has now been reassembled, the engine reconditioned and the total cost
> so far has been ~$2,000. He tells me it is currently worth about $22,000
> as it is still in need of a (re)paint job. I think, personally, that it
> would be worth more in the current climate given the stupid money people
> are willing to pay for such old cars. The MGB is certainly a desirable
> car, much more desirable than a $50k ancient F100 and way more fun to
> drive. One drives like a sports car, one drives like a truck, I know
> which I'd prefer.

$22k is pretty high for one that needs paint. Just before COVID hit I
saw one for sale for a bit over $15k. Looked pretty good and was driven
regularly as it was always at the coffee & cars get together in town.

Considering what some COVID-taxed rubbish is going for (like the F100
mentioned) MGB's are still cheap. There is going to be a big reality
check for some of these dickheads that paid $50k for old scrap during
this time though ;-)

Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...

<ipdncvFcjf5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4608&group=aus.cars#4608

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 14:42:04 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 04:42 UTC

On 3/9/21 1:32 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 3/09/2021 1:13 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> wot no pics??
>>>

>> Too busy chatting, forgot to take any. Never mind, when I get out to
>> the farm after the lockdown bullshit is over, I'll post some. He also
>> has an MG TC out on the farm that he is restoring. Both he and his
>> brother are heavily into restorations. They are also both qualified
>> mechanics.
>>

> my BIL had an MGB shortly after he got married. sis made him sell the
> petrol powered two wheel thing. :) (too dangerous) ironically he now has
> one of these .. https://tinyurl.com/4v4ea2wp

Personally, I am not a fan of soft tops, or sunrooves. I lost a friend
in Indonesia after a rollover in a soft top vehicle. He quite literally
lost his face and lasted only a few hours after thae accident. Without a
roll bar of some description, they aren't on my radar.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...

<ipdnkiFckmgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4609&group=aus.cars#4609

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 14:46:08 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 04:46 UTC

On 3/9/21 1:40 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 3/09/2021 10:11 am, Xeno wrote:
>> he had driven into town in his MGB. I'd never seen this car prior
>> since it was always out on his farm deep in the hinterland. The only
>> time I'd ever been to his farm was the day he just happened to be in
>> Cairns for a family gathering - poor timing on my part.
>>
>> Coincidentally, our cars were parked opposite each other. He told me
>> how he had acquired his MGB. It was completely disassembled and
>> sitting in a shed out on a farm. The previous owner had intended to
>> restore it, got it dismantled - and there it remained for the next ten
>> years. The body shell had been stripped, even of the wiring looms, and
>> had been repainted but that was about the extent of the restoration's
>> progress. Even then, the nicely painted shell had suffered a few
>> scrapes whilst in storage. Everything else was completely dismantled
>> and stored in numerous boxes, even the engine - it was a giant puzzle.
>>
>> It has now been reassembled, the engine reconditioned and the total
>> cost so far has been ~$2,000. He tells me it is currently worth about
>> $22,000 as it is still in need of a (re)paint job. I think,
>> personally, that it would be worth more in the current climate given
>> the stupid money people are willing to pay for such old cars. The MGB
>> is certainly a desirable car, much more desirable than a $50k ancient
>> F100 and way more fun to drive. One drives like a sports car, one
>> drives like a truck, I know which I'd prefer.
>>

> $22k is pretty high for one that needs paint. Just before COVID hit I

The paint isn't bad, it just suffered a few scrapes, etc. from storage
for so long. I think he has been offered that sum already. I think it
will fetch more in the current climate.

> saw one for sale for a bit over $15k. Looked pretty good and was driven
> regularly as it was always at the coffee & cars get together in town.
>
> Considering what some COVID-taxed rubbish is going for (like the F100
> mentioned) MGB's are still cheap. There is going to be a big reality
> check for some of these dickheads that paid $50k for old scrap during
> this time though ;-)

For sure! BTW, did I mention, the MG was free to a good home. The cost
incurred was in the rebuild/reassembly process, mainly of the engine.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...

<sgsfv7$d1r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4617&group=aus.cars#4617

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 14:39:37 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 06:39 UTC

On 3/09/2021 12:46 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 3/9/21 1:40 pm, Clocky wrote:
>> On 3/09/2021 10:11 am, Xeno wrote:
>>> he had driven into town in his MGB. I'd never seen this car prior
>>> since it was always out on his farm deep in the hinterland. The only
>>> time I'd ever been to his farm was the day he just happened to be in
>>> Cairns for a family gathering - poor timing on my part.
>>>
>>> Coincidentally, our cars were parked opposite each other. He told me
>>> how he had acquired his MGB. It was completely disassembled and
>>> sitting in a shed out on a farm. The previous owner had intended to
>>> restore it, got it dismantled - and there it remained for the next
>>> ten years. The body shell had been stripped, even of the wiring
>>> looms, and had been repainted but that was about the extent of the
>>> restoration's progress. Even then, the nicely painted shell had
>>> suffered a few scrapes whilst in storage. Everything else was
>>> completely dismantled and stored in numerous boxes, even the engine -
>>> it was a giant puzzle.
>>>
>>> It has now been reassembled, the engine reconditioned and the total
>>> cost so far has been ~$2,000. He tells me it is currently worth about
>>> $22,000 as it is still in need of a (re)paint job. I think,
>>> personally, that it would be worth more in the current climate given
>>> the stupid money people are willing to pay for such old cars. The MGB
>>> is certainly a desirable car, much more desirable than a $50k ancient
>>> F100 and way more fun to drive. One drives like a sports car, one
>>> drives like a truck, I know which I'd prefer.
>>>

>> $22k is pretty high for one that needs paint. Just before COVID hit I
>
> The paint isn't bad, it just suffered a few scrapes, etc. from storage
> for so long. I think he has been offered that sum already. I think it
> will fetch more in the current climate.
>
>> saw one for sale for a bit over $15k. Looked pretty good and was
>> driven regularly as it was always at the coffee & cars get together in
>> town.
>>
>> Considering what some COVID-taxed rubbish is going for (like the F100
>> mentioned) MGB's are still cheap. There is going to be a big reality
>> check for some of these dickheads that paid $50k for old scrap during
>> this time though ;-)
>>
> For sure! BTW, did I mention, the MG was free to a good home. The cost
> incurred was in the rebuild/reassembly process, mainly of the engine.

Free is always a good price :-)

Re: Caught up with a friend yesterday and...

<ipdut8Fdt4eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4619&group=aus.cars#4619

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:50:16 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 06:50 UTC

On 3/9/21 4:39 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 3/09/2021 12:46 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> $22k is pretty high for one that needs paint. Just before COVID hit I
>>
>> The paint isn't bad, it just suffered a few scrapes, etc. from storage
>> for so long. I think he has been offered that sum already. I think it
>> will fetch more in the current climate.
>>
>>> saw one for sale for a bit over $15k. Looked pretty good and was
>>> driven regularly as it was always at the coffee & cars get together
>>> in town.
>>>
>>> Considering what some COVID-taxed rubbish is going for (like the F100
>>> mentioned) MGB's are still cheap. There is going to be a big reality
>>> check for some of these dickheads that paid $50k for old scrap during
>>> this time though ;-)
>>>
>> For sure! BTW, did I mention, the MG was free to a good home. The cost
>> incurred was in the rebuild/reassembly process, mainly of the engine.
>>

> Free is always a good price :-)

Sure is, it's way better than someone paying $50k and *still* having to
whinge about what you got for your money. Know anyone like that?