Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 09:51:10 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Mr Loophole fury at perfectly legal two abreast cyclists "riding with impunity"
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 17:51 UTC

His pathetic petition has died a death as well! :-)

The new Highway Code changes have been announced, we'll be bringing you all the details ASAP. In that context, Mr Loophole timed his latest anti-cyclist rant perfectly, sharing a video of a group ride travelling safely along a narrow, twisty country road. Mr Loophole, real name Nick Freeman, claimed the riders were three abreast and holding up traffic at 20mph when drivers could have been going 60mph...

In the video shared to his Twitter followers, Freeman can be heard saying, "So here we are now on a 60mph derestricted road with seven cyclists two abreast, not going to give way so all the cars have to go at 19 or 20mph because they've got no intention of moving over...and there's no means of holding them to account. What they're doing is completely illegal.

"This is not right and why we need to know who they are. They're cycling without consideration for other road users, we factually know that is correct, but who is it? We've no idea because there's no means of identifying them.."

The lawyer seemed to ignore the fact the road would not have been suitable for travelling at 60mph regardless of how many cyclists were using it...something many pointed out in the numerous replies to the post...

He also seemed oblivious to the reason that most of us ride two abreast — it's safer for those on bikes and easier for motorists to overtake because it shortens the overtaking distance in half...if only the group had been riding single file, Mr Loophole could have got round on those tight bends...

He's got history with this sort of thing. Last year, Mr Loophole claimed cyclists were "abusing" rules on riding two abreast. While earlier this year he started a petition calling for all cyclists to be insured.

Mr Loophole, save us all some time and have a read of our 'Why do cyclists ride two abreast?' explainer...

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-2-december-2021-288307