From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Your money or your life
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 13:23:23 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 12:23 UTC

Last time I stumbled over these ticket machines it was part of the
thread where Grant Shapps was claiming that not all machines sold all
tickets (something apparently high on the list of not-actually-broken
things for the Fat Controller to fix), so I found an article about them
being installed at Leeds.

Now these ones aren't selling *any* tickets:

<https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-northern-rails-self-service-ticket-
machines-hit-by-ransomware-cyber-attack-2021-07-19/>

"Northern Trains said ... customers could still buy tickets online."

Or god forbid using someone else's machines, or even a ticket window.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Your money or your life

<k5kefgd7baj5pngd3nf1k6enbqei1p6mvl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4708&group=uk.railway#4708

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Your money or your life
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 15:41:10 -0700
 by: Nobody - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 22:41 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 13:23:23 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>Last time I stumbled over these ticket machines it was part of the
>thread where Grant Shapps was claiming that not all machines sold all
>tickets (something apparently high on the list of not-actually-broken
>things for the Fat Controller to fix), so I found an article about them
>being installed at Leeds.
>
>Now these ones aren't selling *any* tickets:
>
><https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-northern-rails-self-service-ticket-
>machines-hit-by-ransomware-cyber-attack-2021-07-19/>
>
>"Northern Trains said ... customers could still buy tickets online."
>
>Or god forbid using someone else's machines, or even a ticket window.

Yikes! The reporting is outsourced... to Bangalore, India

Re: Your money or your life

<8kgffgl87cjo72665ompnrred67jf2l4jj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4716&group=uk.railway#4716

From: unkn...@birchanger.com (Trolleybus)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 07:48:43 +0100
 by: Trolleybus - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 06:48 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 13:23:23 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:

>Last time I stumbled over these ticket machines it was part of the
>thread where Grant Shapps was claiming that not all machines sold all
>tickets (something apparently high on the list of not-actually-broken
>things for the Fat Controller to fix), so I found an article about them
>being installed at Leeds.
>
>Now these ones aren't selling *any* tickets:
>
><https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-northern-rails-self-service-ticket-
>machines-hit-by-ransomware-cyber-attack-2021-07-19/>
>
>"Northern Trains said ... customers could still buy tickets online."

Disingenuous reporting there, or a later statement by NT was better.

"[We] are advising customers to either use Northern's mobile app or website to
purchase tickets in advance and, where necessary, to collect those from one of
our ticket offices. Of course, those offices can also be used to buy tickets."
(https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/20/northern_trains_ticketing_system/)

>Or god forbid using someone else's machines, or even a ticket window.

No mention of other operators' systems, but they do mention ticket offices.