Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 06:33:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Delicious irony of bike lane blocked by...traffic warden - but...
"where am I supposed to give directions?
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 14:33 UTC

Cork cyclist Righttobikeit has popped up on our live blog before. Last time it was for their clip of trying out one of the city's new bike lanes...only to narrowly avoid being taken out by not one, but two drivers.

Now they're back with another gem — a blocked bike lane because of a traffic warden giving a driver directions...

"Will you tell him to move while you're there?" seems a fairly reasonable request for someone whose job is to enforce parking in the proper areas...

"You shouldn't be giving directions in the bike lane"...again, seems reasonable, no? Apparently not. "Where am I supposed to give directions?"..."Wherever you want, but he's not supposed to park. It's illegal to do so...pull up over there, pull up somewhere he's not blocking the bike lane. That's your job!" I'm giving that a 9/10, even better if you imagine it's fellow cyclist from Cork, Roy Keane, behind the camera...

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-1-december-2021-288271#live-blog-item-29895

Re: Delicious irony of bike lane blocked by...traffic warden - but... "where am I supposed to give directions?

<j147urFn5v7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4657&group=uk.rec.cycling#4657

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
"where am I supposed to give directions?
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 16:33:32 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 16:33 UTC

> Cork cyclist Righttobikeit has popped up on our live blog before. Last time it was for their clip of trying out one of the city's new bike lanes...only to narrowly avoid being taken out by not one, but two drivers.
> Now they're back with another gem — a blocked bike lane because of a traffic warden giving a driver directions...
> "Will you tell him to move while you're there?" seems a fairly reasonable request for someone whose job is to enforce parking in the proper areas...

....among other things.

> "You shouldn't be giving directions in the bike lane"...again, seems reasonable, no? Apparently not. "Where am I supposed to give directions?"..."Wherever you want, but he's not supposed to park. It's illegal to do so...pull up over there, pull up somewhere he's not blocking the bike lane. That's your job!" I'm giving that a 9/10, even better if you imagine it's fellow cyclist from Cork, Roy Keane, behind the camera...
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-1-december-2021-288271#live-blog-item-29895

Of course, it might be different in Ireland, but in the UK, traffic
wardens (when and where they still exist or existed) had / have the same
power to direct traffic as a police officer in uniform. They can / could
even stop traffic on double yellow lines and had the power to instruct
drivers to wait in such a situation.