"What I've done, of course, is total garbage." -- R. Willard, Pure Math 430a

aus+uk / uk.current-events.terrorism / Hundreds of college professors blast 'woke' math movement

SubjectAuthor
* Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to work [again]JeSSe
`* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to work [again]Loose Cannon
 `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workJeSSe
  +* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  |+* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  ||`* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  || +* PS (Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to work [again])Loose Cannon
  || |`- Re: PS (Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go backThe Happy Hippy
  || `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  ||  `- Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  |`* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workJeSSe
  | +- Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  | `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  |  `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  |   `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  |    +* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  |    |`* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  |    | `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  |    |  `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  |    |   `- Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  |    `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  |     `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  |      +* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  |      |`- Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  |      `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  |       `* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  |        +* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  |        |`* Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workLoose Cannon
  |        | `- Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy
  |        `* Hundreds of college professors blast 'woke' math movementLoose Cannon
  |         `- Re: Hundreds of college professors blast 'woke' math movementThe Happy Hippy
  `- Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to workThe Happy Hippy

Pages:12
Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to work [again]

<20220503131938.000040e8@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4639&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4639

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to work
[again]
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 13:19:38 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 3 May 2022 12:19 UTC

On Tue, 3 May 2022 12:05:33 +0000 (UTC)
Loose Cannon <efbreg73@gmx-x.comm> wrote:

> Here's what I'm talking about, ya'll!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgulDBPAhnI
>
> Guy is parodying PC, naturally.
>
> "I am sick and tired of liberals using Black people and making us
> look like victims, making us look soft with their liberal dogma,"
> he said. "It’s disgusting."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a free world, people can say what they want, even if it's not true nor reflective of reality.

Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to work [again]

<t4r7mb$1b3$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4641&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4641

From: efbre...@gmx-x.comm (Loose Cannon)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
[again]
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 12:37:31 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: rjac@shell02.TheWorld.com (Revd Terence Fformby-Smythe)
 by: Loose Cannon - Tue, 3 May 2022 12:37 UTC

In article <20220503131020.0000346f@ntlworld.invalid>,
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:

> Loose Cannon <efbreg73@gmx-x.comm> wrote:

[...]

>> It's EXACTLY what the PC nutjobs are saying, e.g.:
>>
>> "Math is difficult to Blacks/Latinx/Indigenous [and ONLY them, BTW],
>> because in math, you're not allowed to break the rules".

> Citation ? Evidence ? So we can verify exactly what was actually said,
> who said it, and in what context.

Google "Rehumanizing[LOL!] Mathematics for Black, Indigenous, and Latinx Students"

Top of p. 3. Also:

"It is striking how many of the aforementioned practices that feel dehumanizing
for students are experienced similarly by teachers. I use the term dehumanizing
to highlight the fact that although each of these individual practices might
only be felt as a microaggression or frustration in the moment, there is a kind
of ***slow violence*** (Nixon 2011) that occurs when one is subjected to such
practices over twelve to thirteen years of compulsory mathematics education (K–12)"

Emphasis mine. Get it? Teaching math is "violence". You think this is sane?

[...]

> 1) An eminent and highly qualified Professor in the science of mathematics put
> forward a proposition which everyone could only disagree with and would destroy
> their standing completely.

AFAIK, none of these nutjobs are mathematicians, they are Education Profs.

The leader of the pack seems to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochelle_Gutierrez

"bachelor’s degree in human biology in 1990. She then moved to the University of
Chicago, where she earned a master’s degree in social sciences and a PhD in education."

Not a mathematician in any sense of the word. I probably forgot a 1000 times more
math than she ever knew, and even I don't call myself a mathematician; I do at
times regret not pursuing an academic career in this beautiful area.

Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to work [again]

<20220503211448.00003908@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4659&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4659

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
[again]
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 21:14:48 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 3 May 2022 20:14 UTC

On Tue, 3 May 2022 12:37:31 +0000 (UTC)
Loose Cannon <efbreg73@gmx-x.comm> wrote:

> In article <20220503131020.0000346f@ntlworld.invalid>,
> The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Loose Cannon <efbreg73@gmx-x.comm> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> It's EXACTLY what the PC nutjobs are saying, e.g.:
> >>
> >> "Math is difficult to Blacks/Latinx/Indigenous [and ONLY them,
> >> BTW], because in math, you're not allowed to break the rules".
>
> > Citation ? Evidence ? So we can verify exactly what was actually
> > said, who said it, and in what context.
>
> Google "Rehumanizing[LOL!] Mathematics for Black, Indigenous, and
> Latinx Students"
>
> Top of p. 3. Also:
>
> "It is striking how many of the aforementioned practices that feel
> dehumanizing for students are experienced similarly by teachers. I
> use the term dehumanizing to highlight the fact that although each of
> these individual practices might only be felt as a microaggression or
> frustration in the moment, there is a kind of ***slow violence***
> (Nixon 2011) that occurs when one is subjected to such practices over
> twelve to thirteen years of compulsory mathematics education (K–12)"
>
> Emphasis mine. Get it? Teaching math is "violence". You think this is
> sane?

Seems to me it's saying "the aforementioned practices that feel dehumanizing" amount to a form of "slow violence".

That sounds entirely sane to me. A steady stream of micro-aggression or antagonisation can easily be described as such. It's classic poking a dog with a stick until it bites.

It's notable you left out what the author said was dehumanising - "schooling often creates structures, policies, and rituals that can convince people they are no longer mathematical. In this way, those structures, policies, and practices can be experienced as dehumanizing."

It's that which is consequently deemed racist, not the science of mathematics.

There is nowhere in that where I can see the author making any claim that the science of mathematics itself is racist.

Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to work [again]

<t4s4q8$n2n$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4660&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4660

From: efbre...@gmx-x.comm (Loose Cannon)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
[again]
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 20:54:32 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: rjac@shell02.TheWorld.com (Revd Terence Fformby-Smythe)
 by: Loose Cannon - Tue, 3 May 2022 20:54 UTC

In article <20220503211448.00003908@ntlworld.invalid>,
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:

[...]

> Seems to me it's saying "the aforementioned practices that feel dehumanizing"
> amount to a form of "slow violence".
>
> That sounds entirely sane to me. A steady stream of micro-aggression or
> antagonisation can easily be described as such. It's classic poking a dog
> with a stick until it bites.

I see. So teaching math is "violence", equivalent to "poking a dog
with a stick until it bites", huh.

And saying that math rules should be followed is "dehumanizing" (but for
some reason, this only applies to Black/Latinx/Indigenous students), huh.

One can only hope that you're just being argumentative, that you don't
actually believe this insane garbage, which -- as noted -- is itself
utterly racist.

What next? Traffic rules should also be followed. When will the PC
nutjobs claim that, too, is "racist"?

Re: Lazy, slobbering, entitled leftists refuse to go back to work [again]

<20220503223518.00007f7a@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4661&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4661

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
[again]
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 22:35:18 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 3 May 2022 21:35 UTC

On Tue, 3 May 2022 20:54:32 +0000 (UTC)
Loose Cannon <efbreg73@gmx-x.comm> wrote:

> In article <20220503211448.00003908@ntlworld.invalid>,
> The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Seems to me it's saying "the aforementioned practices that feel
> > dehumanizing" amount to a form of "slow violence".
> >
> > That sounds entirely sane to me. A steady stream of
> > micro-aggression or antagonisation can easily be described as such.
> > It's classic poking a dog with a stick until it bites.
>
> I see. So teaching math is "violence", equivalent to "poking a dog
> with a stick until it bites", huh.

As you're going to keep twisting everyone's words it's not worth the effort.

Hundreds of college professors blast 'woke' math movement

<t4tdri$f4i$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4662&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4662

From: efbre...@gmx-x.comm (Loose Cannon)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Hundreds of college professors blast 'woke' math movement
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 08:34:58 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: rjac@shell02.TheWorld.com (Revd Terence Fformby-Smythe)
 by: Loose Cannon - Wed, 4 May 2022 08:34 UTC

Loose Cannon <efbreg73@gmx-x.comm> wrote:

> AFAIK, none of these nutjobs are mathematicians, they are Education Profs.
>
> The leader of the pack seems to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochelle_Gutierrez
>
> "bachelor’s degree in human biology in 1990. She then moved to the University of
> Chicago, where she earned a master’s degree in social sciences and a PhD in education."
>
> Not a mathematician in any sense of the word.

And some people who DO know what math is, dare to speak out. I guess
that now they're all branded "racists"...

<quote>

Hundreds of college professors blast 'woke' math movement

Hundreds of prominent professors -- including top names from CUNY,
NYU, and Columbia — have signed a letter blasting the erosion of
math rigor in grades K to 12.

Arguing that curtailing advanced math programs puts American kids
at a global disadvantage, the coalition called the movement "the
height of irresponsibility."

Some school districts -- including in New York -- have slowly
eliminated advanced math options for some students as a means
of easing achievement gaps.

A total of 746 math teachers and professors across the country signed
the new missive, warning that enfeebled math curriculums would have
dire consequences down the line.

The teachers -- including two CUNY professors, nine from Columbia
University, and 13 from NYU -- argued that kids need exposure to
advanced math prior to college in order to truly excel.

</quote>

Re: Hundreds of college professors blast 'woke' math movement

<20220504103935.00001e9a@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4663&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4663

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 10:39:35 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 4 May 2022 09:39 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 08:34:58 +0000 (UTC)
Loose Cannon <efbreg73@gmx-x.comm> wrote:

> And some people who DO know what math is, dare to speak out.

You are conflating two separate issues. Calls for rehumanising maths with districts not teaching advanced maths which those calling for rehumanising maths never asked for.

> I guess
> that now they're all branded "racists"...

And that's just more insinuating demonisation of those who have done no such thing.

It is entirely possible to say rehumaising matchs is a good idea - I believe it is.

And to say reducing assessment criteria and not offering advanced maths courses is a bad idea - I believe it is.

You are still trying to construct a false narrative.

> <quote>
>
> Hundreds of college professors blast 'woke' math movement
>
> Hundreds of prominent professors -- including top names from CUNY,
> NYU, and Columbia — have signed a letter blasting the erosion of
> math rigor in grades K to 12.
>
> Arguing that curtailing advanced math programs puts American kids
> at a global disadvantage, the coalition called the movement "the
> height of irresponsibility."
>
> Some school districts -- including in New York -- have slowly
> eliminated advanced math options for some students as a means
> of easing achievement gaps.
>
> A total of 746 math teachers and professors across the country signed
> the new missive, warning that enfeebled math curriculums would have
> dire consequences down the line.
>
> The teachers -- including two CUNY professors, nine from Columbia
> University, and 13 from NYU -- argued that kids need exposure to
> advanced math prior to college in order to truly excel.
>
> </quote>

I disagree with that last sentence, don't agree that kids need exposure to advanced maths to truly excel at college.

But maybe they do in America which would support the position that maths has become racist.