One is often kept in the right road by a rut. -- Gustave Droz

aus+uk / aus.legal / Re: new anti-troll legislation

SubjectAuthor
* new anti-troll legislationMax
`* Re: new anti-troll legislationPhil Allison
 `* Re: new anti-troll legislationMax
  +* Re: new anti-troll legislationSylvia Else
  |+- Re: new anti-troll legislationPhil Allison
  |`* Re: new anti-troll legislationMax
  | +- Re: new anti-troll legislationPhil Allison
  | +- Re: new anti-troll legislationSylvia Else
  | `* Re: new anti-troll legislationRod Speed
  |  `- Re: new anti-troll legislationPhil Allison
  `- Re: new anti-troll legislationRod Speed

1
new anti-troll legislation

<snuv6o$9uu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4670&group=aus.legal#4670

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Subject: new anti-troll legislation
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:05:36 +1100
 by: Max - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 04:05 UTC

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-28/social-media-laws-online-trolls/100657004

"The complaints process will allow people to ask that material be taken
down by a user if they feel it is defamatory.

If the user is unwilling to take down the content, or the complainant
wants to take further action, the company asks a user for their consent
to release their personal details.

If the user does not consent to their details being released, a court
order can be made requiring the company to release them — allowing the
complainant to pursue defamation action."

----

The proposed system means you can make posts about someone, and the most
that could happen to you is that you have to take the post down if asked.

That gives social media posters some room to move which is fair enough.

Re: new anti-troll legislation

<5377446e-83ea-4884-9273-329c200cf5d3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4672&group=aus.legal#4672

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 20:14:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: new anti-troll legislation
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 04:14 UTC

Max wrote:
=========>
> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-28/social-media-laws-online-trolls/100657004
>
> "The complaints process will allow people to ask that material be taken
> down by a user if they feel it is defamatory.
>
> If the user is unwilling to take down the content, or the complainant
> wants to take further action, the company asks a user for their consent
> to release their personal details.
>
> If the user does not consent to their details being released, a court
> order can be made requiring the company to release them — allowing the
> complainant to pursue defamation action."

** Never trust anything from a journalist.
This has along way to play out.
FYI:

Defamation actions are slow, very expensive and do not work on trolls who usually have no money.
The whole thing looks like window dressing to me.

...... Phil

Re: new anti-troll legislation

<so1inn$15nj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4675&group=aus.legal#4675

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 14:51:18 +1100
 by: Max - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 03:51 UTC

On 28/11/2021 3:14 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> Max wrote:
> ==========
>>
>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-28/social-media-laws-online-trolls/100657004
>>
>> "The complaints process will allow people to ask that material be taken
>> down by a user if they feel it is defamatory.
>>
>> If the user is unwilling to take down the content, or the complainant
>> wants to take further action, the company asks a user for their consent
>> to release their personal details.
>>
>> If the user does not consent to their details being released, a court
>> order can be made requiring the company to release them — allowing the
>> complainant to pursue defamation action."
>>

> ** Never trust anything from a journalist.
> This has along way to play out.
> FYI:
>
> Defamation actions are slow, very expensive and do not work on trolls who usually have no money.
> The whole thing looks like window dressing to me.

Say if I knew that two people who work in the media in the country once
slept with each other, and I tweeted that fact using full names, would
that be defamation? And could there also be criminal charges?

Re: new anti-troll legislation

<j0j4neFeguoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4676&group=aus.legal#4676

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:54:05 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 04:54 UTC

On 29-Nov-21 2:51 pm, Max wrote:
> On 28/11/2021 3:14 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
>> Max wrote:
>> ==========
>>>
>>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-28/social-media-laws-online-trolls/100657004
>>>

>>> "The complaints process will allow people to ask that material be taken
>>> down by a user if they feel it is defamatory.
>>>
>>> If the user is unwilling to take down the content, or the complainant
>>> wants to take further action, the company asks a user for their consent
>>> to release their personal details.
>>>
>>> If the user does not consent to their details being released, a court
>>> order can be made requiring the company to release them — allowing the
>>> complainant to pursue defamation action."
>>>

>>   ** Never trust anything from a journalist.
>>       This has along way to play out.
>> FYI:
>>
>>      Defamation actions are slow, very expensive and do not work on
>> trolls who usually have no money.
>>      The whole thing looks like window dressing to me.
>>

> Say if I knew that two people who work in the media in the country once
> slept with each other, and I tweeted that fact using full names, would
> that be defamation?  And could there also be criminal charges?

Truth is a complete defence against an action for defamation. If you are
able to prove, on balance of probability, that what you said is true,
then you're in the clear.

It used to be that the release of the information also had to be in the
public interest, but the gutter press got that changed.

Criminal defamation is a thing, but it's very rare indeed for a charge
to be laid. Truth is again a defence.

Sylvia.

Re: new anti-troll legislation

<17db482c-50e8-41a8-bc14-13431f28ee7an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4677&group=aus.legal#4677

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 21:14:42 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 05:14 UTC

Stupider than Anyone Else wrote:
===========================

> Truth is a complete defence against an action for defamation. If you are
> able to prove, on balance of probability, that what you said is true,
> then you're in the clear.

** Its more complicated than that.

In any defamation action, its the " defamatory imputations" that matter.
They have got to be true as well.

The best defence against a defamation action is if you are poor.
Another is that what you claimed is not credible.

Strangely, that you read it in a news item somewhere is not necessarily a defence.

...... Phil

Re: new anti-troll legislation

<j0j8i9Ff6hfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4678&group=aus.legal#4678

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:59:32 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 05:59 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
> Phil Allison wrote
>> Max wrote

>>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-28/social-media-laws-online-trolls/100657004
>>>
>>> "The complaints process will allow people to ask that material be taken
>>> down by a user if they feel it is defamatory.
>>>
>>> If the user is unwilling to take down the content, or the complainant
>>> wants to take further action, the company asks a user for their consent
>>> to release their personal details.
>>>
>>> If the user does not consent to their details being released, a court
>>> order can be made requiring the company to release them — allowing the
>>> complainant to pursue defamation action."
>>>

>> ** Never trust anything from a journalist.
>> This has along way to play out.
>> FYI:
>>
>> Defamation actions are slow, very expensive and do not work on
>> trolls who usually have no money.
>> The whole thing looks like window dressing to me.

> Say if I knew that two people who work in the media in the country once
> slept with each other, and I tweeted that fact using full names, would
> that be defamation?

Not if it is actually true.

> And could there also be criminal charges?

Nope.

Re: new anti-troll legislation

<so2238$24h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4679&group=aus.legal#4679

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 19:13:28 +1100
 by: Max - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 08:13 UTC

On 29/11/2021 3:54 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 29-Nov-21 2:51 pm, Max wrote:
>> On 28/11/2021 3:14 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
>>> Max wrote:
>>> ==========

>>>   ** Never trust anything from a journalist.
>>>       This has along way to play out.
>>> FYI:
>>>
>>>      Defamation actions are slow, very expensive and do not work on
>>> trolls who usually have no money.
>>>      The whole thing looks like window dressing to me.
>>>

>> Say if I knew that two people who work in the media in the country
>> once slept with each other, and I tweeted that fact using full names,
>> would that be defamation?  And could there also be criminal charges?
>>

> Truth is a complete defence against an action for defamation. If you are
> able to prove, on balance of probability, that what you said is true,
> then you're in the clear.

What if both people deny it in court? Wouldn't I be stuffed? How could
I prove it? All I have is one of the people saying to me that it happened.

> It used to be that the release of the information also had to be in the
> public interest, but the gutter press got that changed.
>
> Criminal defamation is a thing, but it's very rare indeed for a charge
> to be laid. Truth is again a defence.
>
> Sylvia.

Re: new anti-troll legislation

<c9aa2f74-5159-4166-b921-0f4cc45cdc6bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4680&group=aus.legal#4680

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 00:23:30 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 08:23 UTC

Max the IDIOT wrote:
=================

> What if both people deny it in court? Wouldn't I be stuffed? How could
> I prove it? All I have is one of the people saying to me that it happened.

** You're stuffed.

But the other defenses still apply, no funds, no cred and no damage.

...... Phil

Re: new anti-troll legislation

<j0ji0rFgtofU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4681&group=aus.legal#4681

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 19:40:57 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 08:40 UTC

On 29-Nov-21 7:13 pm, Max wrote:
> On 29/11/2021 3:54 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> Say if I knew that two people who work in the media in the country
>>> once slept with each other, and I tweeted that fact using full names,
>>> would that be defamation?  And could there also be criminal charges?
>>>

>> Truth is a complete defence against an action for defamation. If you
>> are able to prove, on balance of probability, that what you said is
>> true, then you're in the clear.
>>

> What if both people deny it in court?  Wouldn't I be stuffed?  How could
> I prove it?  All I have is one of the people saying to me that it happened.

If that's all the evidence you have, then it's best to keep quiet. It's
hearsay after all, at least as regards second person.

If it's true, but they deny it in court, and it's later provable beyond
reasonable doubt, they could find themselves in prison for perjury. That
happened to a former MP in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Archer

But I mentioned the gutter press. Unless there's a compelling reason to
reveal the matter, then leave it alone.

Sylvia.

Re: new anti-troll legislation

<j0jig6Fh0lgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4682&group=aus.legal#4682

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 19:49:05 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 08:49 UTC

Max <max@val.morgan> wrote
> Sylvia Else wrote
>> Max wrote
>>> Phil Allison wrote

>>> Say if I knew that two people who work in the media in the country once
>>> slept with each other, and I tweeted that fact using full names, would
>>> that be defamation? And could there also be criminal charges?

>> Truth is a complete defence against an action for defamation. If you are
>> able to prove, on balance of probability, that what you said is true,
>> then you're in the clear.

> What if both people deny it in court?

Irrelevant to whether they did in fact fuck.

> Wouldn't I be stuffed?

Nope.

> How could I prove it?

Nope, its up to them to prove that they didn’t.

> All I have is one of the people saying to me that it happened.

That’s all you need to be fine.

>> It used to be that the release of the information also had to be in the
>> public interest, but the gutter press got that changed.

>> Criminal defamation is a thing, but it's very rare indeed for a charge to
>> be laid. Truth is again a defence.

Re: new anti-troll legislation

<60f6bfce-0474-4ae9-8b49-740b809d4611n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4683&group=aus.legal#4683

Newsgroups: aus.legal
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 03:12:33 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:12 UTC

Rodbot Ex Speed Cop is a Fucking LIAR
===============================>
> > What if both people deny it in court?
>
> Irrelevant to whether they did in fact fuck.

** Nonsense.

> > Wouldn't I be stuffed?
> Nope.

** Wrong.

> > How could I prove it?
>
> Nope, its up to them to prove that they didn’t.

** Onus of proof is 100% on the alleged defamer.

> > All I have is one of the people saying to me that it happened.
>That’s all you need to be fine.