From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Ukraine oil crisis hits shoppers
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 19:23:44 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:23 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61193141

<quotes>

Some supermarkets are limiting how much cooking oil customers are able to buy as supplies are hit by war in Ukraine.

Tesco is allowing three items per customer. Waitrose and Morrisons have limited shoppers to two items each.

</quotes>

We will have to see whether rationing work or merely increases pressure on stock as people visit multiple times, do runs to multiple supermarkets, take friends to increase the quantities bought.

I would have thought people would have stocked-up as soon as it became obvious there were going to be shortages and inevitable price rises, if only to ensure what it said on the label was inside the bottle. We've known this has been coming for over six weeks.

Next to be hit will be crisps, oven chips, roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings.

The silver lining to the dark cloud of shortages and impossible prices we are passing through is that we might make some sort of in-road on the obesity crisis.

Re: Ukraine oil crisis hits shoppers

<t43530$1p7v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4476&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4476

From: tose...@gmail.com (Mohammed)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Ukraine oil crisis hits shoppers
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 10:25:52 +0100
 by: Mohammed - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 09:25 UTC

On 22/04/2022 19:23, The Happy Hippy wrote:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61193141
>
> <quotes>
>
> Some supermarkets are limiting how much cooking oil customers are able to buy as supplies are hit by war in Ukraine.
>
> Tesco is allowing three items per customer. Waitrose and Morrisons have limited shoppers to two items each.
>
> </quotes>
>
> We will have to see whether rationing work or merely increases pressure on stock as people visit multiple times, do runs to multiple supermarkets, take friends to increase the quantities bought.
>
> I would have thought people would have stocked-up as soon as it became obvious there were going to be shortages and inevitable price rises, if only to ensure what it said on the label was inside the bottle. We've known this has been coming for over six weeks.
>
> Next to be hit will be crisps, oven chips, roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings.
>
> The silver lining to the dark cloud of shortages and impossible prices we are passing through is that we might make some sort of in-road on the obesity crisis.

From my shopping trip knowledge, cooking oil prices depending on brand
have up-to about doubled (50%) in the last year or so. Ukraine is only
part of the reason, although it'll be used to raise prices again.

This is in part also due to Brexit, it's not that without Brexit the
prices would've remained the same, it just means due to Brexit an
already bad situation is being made worse.

Re: Ukraine oil crisis hits shoppers

<20220505125335.00002d90@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4693&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4693

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 12:53:35 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 5 May 2022 11:53 UTC

On Sun, 24 Apr 2022 10:25:52 +0100
Mohammed <toseeb1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/04/2022 19:23, The Happy Hippy wrote:
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61193141
> >
> > <quotes>
> >
> > Some supermarkets are limiting how much cooking oil customers are
> > able to buy as supplies are hit by war in Ukraine.
> >
> > Tesco is allowing three items per customer. Waitrose and Morrisons
> > have limited shoppers to two items each.
> >
> > </quotes>
> >
> > We will have to see whether rationing work or merely increases
> > pressure on stock as people visit multiple times, do runs to
> > multiple supermarkets, take friends to increase the quantities
> > bought.
> >
> > I would have thought people would have stocked-up as soon as it
> > became obvious there were going to be shortages and inevitable
> > price rises, if only to ensure what it said on the label was inside
> > the bottle. We've known this has been coming for over six weeks.
> >
> > Next to be hit will be crisps, oven chips, roast potatoes and
> > Yorkshire puddings.
> >
> > The silver lining to the dark cloud of shortages and impossible
> > prices we are passing through is that we might make some sort of
> > in-road on the obesity crisis.
>
> From my shopping trip knowledge, cooking oil prices depending on
> brand have up-to about doubled (50%) in the last year or so. Ukraine
> is only part of the reason, although it'll be used to raise prices
> again.
>
> This is in part also due to Brexit, it's not that without Brexit the
> prices would've remained the same, it just means due to Brexit an
> already bad situation is being made worse.

It's the perfect storm really. Reduced wealth through suffering years of austerity, loss of guaranteed full-time employment, salaries and welfare being reduced in real terms, interest rates at historical lows, the costs of covid, the cost of brexit, supply chain challenges, trade wars and real war between providers and consumers, rampant gouging and profiteering by capitalists, the rich elite seeking to widen the divide between rich and poor.

If one wants to find a single thing to blame for where we are it's "the system", the system which not only allowed and encouraged it, but inevitably led to being in the position we are in.

It was entirely foreseeable but they figured it would be fine so long as nothing went wrong. But it did go wrong. And it wasn't just one thing going wrong, tipping it over, it was a whole raft of things, which didn't create mere bumps in the road, but a complete collapse of the path we were walking.

We have fallen into a chasm and are hanging on by our finger-tips.