We are all dying -- and we're gonna be dead for a long time.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

SubjectAuthor
* Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - new lawsswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - newRob Morley
|`* Re: Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - new lawsswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - newJNugent
`* Re: Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - newTMS320
 `* Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right -JNugent
  `* Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right -TMS320
   `* Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right -JNugent
    `* Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right -TMS320
     `* Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right -JNugent
      `* Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right -TMS320
       `* Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right -JNugent
        `* Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right -TMS320
         `- Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right -JNugent

1
Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<1d0b1056-51c9-4285-a574-7e13ab4fc5c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4631&group=uk.rec.cycling#4631

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:00:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - new laws
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:00 UTC

The Highway Code is set to undergo a huge shake-up that means cyclists and pedestrians get priority over motorists at junctions.

The government announced today (1 Dec) that a statutory instrument has been laid before Parliament, and that the updated Highway Code will become law on 29 January 2022. The move follows pressure from the cycling lobby, and a public consultation process the Department for Transport (DfT) says shows a majority of people support its moves.

Pedestrians currently have priority over cars only if they are already crossing a road into - or from which - a car is turning, but a new Rule H2 gives priority to pedestrians who are waiting, mandating vehicles stop to let them cross.

A new Rule H3 is arguably more controversial. It states: “You should not cut across cyclists, horse riders or horse-drawn vehicles going ahead when you are turning into or out of a junction or changing direction or lane, just as you would not turn across the path of another motor vehicle. This applies whether they are using a cycle lane, a cycle track, or riding ahead on the road and you should give way to them.”

The new rule means drivers in traffic planning to turn either left or right into side-roads, must give way to cyclists overtaking them on either side.

The Department for Transport (DfT) is also introducing a “hierarchy of road users”, which aims to “​​ensure those who can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they may pose to others”.

The changes to the Highway Code are intended to promote walking and cycling by making life on the road safer for them, and they follow a public consultation. Some respondents voiced concerns during the consultation process, however, that some of the rule changes could actually increase risks in some circumstances, with cyclists and pedestrians potentially taking greater risks when drivers are turning left, for example, or want to cross roads.

“Respondents were in broad agreement that all the changes should be implemented with percentages ranging from 76% to 91% in agreement with all the changes proposed,” the DfT says. “Disagree comments mainly reflected on the notion that cyclists would take greater risks due to having priority in certain circumstances. There were also concerns about cyclists passing road traffic on the left. As before, where valid concerns have been identified, we will amend the text to address these points.”

Edmund King, AA president, said: “The upcoming changes to the Highway Code are a reminder that all road users have a responsibility to look after one another, in particular the most vulnerable ones: pedestrian, cyclists, other two-wheeled transport and horse riders.

“The encouragement of more ‘active travel’ and a boom in deliveries by people on bicycles has transformed road use to some extent, and the Highway Code needed to be updated to reflect that.

“There are some significant changes being made, for example around rights of way when turning into or out of a side road. As most people do not read the Highway Code once they have passed their test, all drivers will need to ensure they read and understand the new rules before they become live in January.”

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/355693/cars-give-way-cyclists-when-turning-left-or-right

Re: Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<20211203171230.3f26754c@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4641&group=uk.rec.cycling#4641

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - new
laws
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 17:12:30 +0000
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 17:12 UTC

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:00:08 -0800 (PST)
"swldx...@gmail.com" <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> “There are some significant changes being made, for example around
> rights of way when turning into or out of a side road. As most people
> do not read the Highway Code once they have passed their test, all
> drivers will need to ensure they read and understand the new rules
> before they become live in January.”

As if that's going to happen. Road users who are aware of the new
rules will be taking a risk every time they expect a motor vehicle to
stop for them. Even drivers are at risk of being shunted when they give
way, because other drivers won't be expecting them to stop. New rules
shouldn't be introduced without a prior effective publicity campaign.

Re: Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<94d72e48-178e-4f79-804f-59ed696fb682n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4643&group=uk.rec.cycling#4643

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 09:23:34 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 17:23 UTC

On Friday, December 3, 2021 at 5:12:35 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:00:08 -0800 (PST)
> "swldx...@gmail.com" <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > “There are some significant changes being made, for example around
> > rights of way when turning into or out of a side road. As most people
> > do not read the Highway Code once they have passed their test, all
> > drivers will need to ensure they read and understand the new rules
> > before they become live in January.”
> >
> As if that's going to happen. Road users who are aware of the new
> rules will be taking a risk every time they expect a motor vehicle to
> stop for them. Even drivers are at risk of being shunted when they give
> way, because other drivers won't be expecting them to stop. New rules
> shouldn't be introduced without a prior effective publicity campaign.

The onus is on the driver to make sure that they are familiar with the latest laws and current HC. As the usual maxim goes: "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

Re: Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<j0v7c4FodvfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4645&group=uk.rec.cycling#4645

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
laws
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 18:52:52 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 18:52 UTC

> On Friday, December 3, 2021 at 5:12:35 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:00:08 -0800 (PST)
>> "swldx...@gmail.com" <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> “There are some significant changes being made, for example around
>>> rights of way when turning into or out of a side road. As most people
>>> do not read the Highway Code once they have passed their test, all
>>> drivers will need to ensure they read and understand the new rules
>>> before they become live in January.”
>>>
>> As if that's going to happen. Road users who are aware of the new
>> rules will be taking a risk every time they expect a motor vehicle to
>> stop for them. Even drivers are at risk of being shunted when they give
>> way, because other drivers won't be expecting them to stop. New rules
>> shouldn't be introduced without a prior effective publicity campaign.
>
> The onus is on the driver to make sure that they are familiar with the latest laws and current HC. As the usual maxim goes: "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

Highway Code rules are not (necessarily) the law, though some rules
*might* refer to the law.

These new "rules" appear not to even do that.

Re: Cars to give way to cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<sojgis$n5p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4663&group=uk.rec.cycling#4663

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
laws
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 23:04:59 +0000
 by: TMS320 - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 23:04 UTC

On 02/12/2021 18:00, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Pedestrians currently have priority over cars only if they are
> already crossing a road into - or from which - a car is turning, but
> a new Rule H2 gives priority to pedestrians who are waiting,
> mandating vehicles stop to let them cross.

Finally catching up with the rest of the civilised world.
> A new Rule H3 is arguably more controversial. It states: “You should
> not cut across cyclists, horse riders or horse-drawn vehicles going
> ahead when you are turning into or out of a junction or changing
> direction or lane, just as you would not turn across the path of
> another motor vehicle. This applies whether they are using a cycle
> lane, a cycle track, or riding ahead on the road and you should give
> way to them.”

How does this change the current situation?

Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<j150dgFroklU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4664&group=uk.rec.cycling#4664

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right -
new laws
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 23:30:55 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 23:30 UTC

On 05/12/2021 11:04 pm, TMS320 wrote:

> On 02/12/2021 18:00, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Pedestrians currently have priority over cars only if they are
>> already crossing a road into - or from which - a car is turning, but
>> a new Rule H2 gives priority to pedestrians who are waiting,
>> mandating vehicles stop to let them cross.
>
> Finally catching up with the rest of the civilised world.

You've never been to France or Belgium, then? ;-)

Stop at a "zebra crossing" for pedestrians waiting to cross and you will
be hooted to hell and back by the drivers behind you (and the
fairy-cyclists among them will simply ride straight past and fail to
accord precedence to the pedestrians who are -by now - crossing).

>> A new Rule H3 is arguably more controversial. It states: “You should
>> not cut across fairy-cyclists, horse riders or horse-drawn vehicles going
>> ahead when you are turning into or out of a junction or changing
>> direction or lane, just as you would not turn across the path of
>> another motor vehicle. This applies whether they are using a fairy-cycle
>> lane, a fairy-cycle track, or riding ahead on the road and you should give
>> way to them.”

> How does this change the current situation?

Good question.

Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<sokk93$jr4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4670&group=uk.rec.cycling#4670

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new laws
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 09:14:10 +0000
 by: TMS320 - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 09:14 UTC

On 05/12/2021 23:30, JNugent wrote:
> On 05/12/2021 11:04 pm, TMS320 wrote:
>> On 02/12/2021 18:00, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Pedestrians currently have priority over cars only if they are
>>> already crossing a road into - or from which - a car is turning,
>>> but a new Rule H2 gives priority to pedestrians who are waiting,
>>> mandating vehicles stop to let them cross.
>>
>> Finally catching up with the rest of the civilised world.
>
> You've never been to France or Belgium, then? ;-)

Yes

> Stop at a "zebra crossing" for pedestrians waiting to cross and you
> will be hooted to hell and back by the drivers behind you (and the
> cyclists among them will simply ride straight past and fail to accord
> precedence to the pedestrians who are -by now - crossing).

This has nothing to do with zebra crossings.

Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<j16db9F5b4oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4676&group=uk.rec.cycling#4676

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new laws
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 12:17:46 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 12:17 UTC

On 06/12/2021 09:14 am, TMS320 wrote:

> On 05/12/2021 23:30, JNugent wrote:

>>> Finally catching up with the rest of the civilised world.
>
>> You've never been to France or Belgium, then? ;-)
>
> Yes
>
>> Stop at a "zebra crossing" for pedestrians waiting to cross and you
>> will be hooted to hell and back by the drivers behind you (and the
>> cyclists among them will simply ride straight past and fail to accord
>> precedence to the pedestrians who are - by now - crossing).
>
> This has nothing to do with zebra crossings.

The crossings (in France and Belgium) to which I referred are the direct
local equivalents of UK zebra crossings. They don't have (AFAICR) the
Belisha Beacons and the striped poles, but they are clearly laid out on
the ground as a series of alternating black and white stripes.

This is a crossing near Mons, as an example (completely SFW).

<https://tinyurl.com/2p8777mz>

There is no difficulty in identifying these crossings.

The difficulty lies in having your expectations met when you stop for
pedestrians expecting that other road users behind you will stop without
demur.

Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<som643$pus$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4681&group=uk.rec.cycling#4681

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new laws
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 23:24:51 +0000
 by: TMS320 - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 23:24 UTC

On 06/12/2021 12:17, JNugent wrote:
> On 06/12/2021 09:14 am, TMS320 wrote:

>>> You've never been to France or Belgium, then? ;-)
>>
>> Yes
>>
>>> Stop at a "zebra crossing" for pedestrians waiting to cross and
>>> you will be hooted to hell and back by the drivers behind you
>>> (and the cyclists among them will simply ride straight past and
>>> fail to accord precedence to the pedestrians who are - by now -
>>> crossing).
>>
>> This has nothing to do with zebra crossings.
>
> The crossings (in France and Belgium) to which I referred

The new ruling has nothing to do with zebra crosssings.

Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<j19au7FmjbfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4684&group=uk.rec.cycling#4684

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new laws
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 14:55:04 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 14:55 UTC

On 06/12/2021 11:24 pm, TMS320 wrote:

> On 06/12/2021 12:17, JNugent wrote:

>>> Yes

>>> This has nothing to do with zebra crossings.
>>
>> The crossings (in France and Belgium) to which I referred
>
> The new ruling has nothing to do with zebra crosssings.

It has a very similar effect.

The current UK position is that a pedestrian crossing a street into
which a vehicle (*even* a fairy-cycle) is turning (from another street)
is *already* treated for priority as though they were on a zebra crossing.

Try to explain that to a fairy-cyclist.

Oh, hang on...

Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<sonv62$sn9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4691&group=uk.rec.cycling#4691

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new laws
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 15:38:42 +0000
 by: TMS320 - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 15:38 UTC

On 07/12/2021 14:55, JNugent wrote:
> On 06/12/2021 11:24 pm, TMS320 wrote:

>>> The crossings (in France and Belgium) to which I referred
>>
>> The new ruling has nothing to do with zebra crosssings.
>
> It has a very similar effect.

So what?

The new rule will bring Britain up to rules that exist in other countries.

> Try to explain that to a cyclist.
>
> Oh, hang on...

Your little anecdote showed how drivers break the rules. Have you never
broken a speed limit? Answer - yes or no.

Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<j1c0jvF7osnU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4708&group=uk.rec.cycling#4708

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new laws
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2021 15:17:19 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 8 Dec 2021 15:17 UTC

On 07/12/2021 03:38 pm, TMS320 wrote:
> On 07/12/2021 14:55, JNugent wrote:

>>> The new ruling has nothing to do with zebra crosssings.
>>
>> It has a very similar effect.
>
> So what?
>
> The new rule will bring Britain up to rules that exist in other countries.
>
> > Try to explain that to a cyclist.
> >
> > Oh, hang on...
>
> Your little anecdote showed how drivers break the rules. Have you never
> broken a speed limit? Answer - yes or no.

What implications would there be if I answered "No"?

Would it entitle you and/or other fairy-cyclists to break the law and
disrespect the rights of other road-users?

What implications would there be if I answered "yes"?

Would it entitle you and/or other fairy-cyclists to break the law and
disrespect the rights of other road-users?

Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<sp0466$5if$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4756&group=uk.rec.cycling#4756

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new laws
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:53:10 +0000
 by: TMS320 - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:53 UTC

On 08/12/2021 15:17, JNugent wrote:
> On 07/12/2021 03:38 pm, TMS320 wrote:

>>> It has a very similar effect.
>>
>> So what?
>>
>> The new rule will bring Britain up to rules that exist in other
>> countries.
>>
>>> Try to explain that to a cyclist.
>>>
>>> Oh, hang on...
>>
>> Your little anecdote showed how drivers break the rules. Have you
>> never broken a speed limit? Answer - yes or no.
>
> What implications would there be if I answered "No"?

You would be lying

> Would it entitle you and/or other cyclists to break the law
> and disrespect the rights of other road-users?
>
> What implications would there be if I answered "yes"?
>
> Would it entitle you and/or other cyclists to break the law
> and disrespect the rights of other road-users?

Don't throw stones

Re: Cars to give way to fairy-cyclists when turning left or right - new laws

<j1hii5Fa2d7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4757&group=uk.rec.cycling#4757

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new laws
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:54:13 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:54 UTC

That's your job?