Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime. -- Jimmy Cannon

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jail sentence increased after challenge

SubjectAuthor
* Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jail sentenceswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jailJNugent
`* Re: Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jailswldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jailswldx...@gmail.com

1
Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jail sentence increased after challenge

<7be3defd-790b-4c23-a731-c6ff08643237n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4728&group=uk.rec.cycling#4728

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 06:48:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jail sentence
increased after challenge
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 14:48 UTC

Useless justice system again.

A YODEL delivery driver who killed a cyclist by driving carelessly while under the influence of drugs will not have his jail sentence increased.

Jonathon Ramsbottom, 37, was sentenced at Bradford Crown Court in October after pleading guilty to causing the death of Stephen White by careless driving.

He was jailed for seven years and banned from driving for 11 years.

But a subsequent challenge was made under the unduly lenient sentence scheme.

The Attorney General's office has reviewed the the case and decided not to refer to the Court of Appeal, where the term could have been increased.

Ramsbottom was at the wheel of a Peugeot Boxer van when he collided with the high performance road machine ridden by married father-of-two Stephen White.

The court heard that Mr White was riding his road bike down a straight section of the A646 Burnley Road travelling towards Todmorden when the collision took place at 10.30am on May 9, 2020.

Ramsbottom was working as a delivery driver for Yodel and travelling in the opposite direction, when he took a right turn off the main road into Church Road, but was driving too fast and cut across the mouth of the junction, colliding with Mr White.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/19773491.yodel-delivery-driver-killed-cyclist-will-not-jail-sentence-increased-challenge/

Re: Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jail sentence increased after challenge

<j1ek3lFn71lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4729&group=uk.rec.cycling#4729

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jail
sentence increased after challenge
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 15:02:13 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 15:02 UTC

> Useless justice system again.
>
> A YODEL delivery driver who killed a cyclist by driving carelessly while under the influence of drugs will not have his jail sentence increased.
>
> Jonathon Ramsbottom, 37, was sentenced at Bradford Crown Court in October after pleading guilty to causing the death of Stephen White by careless driving.
>
> He was jailed for seven years and banned from driving for 11 years.
>
> But a subsequent challenge was made under the unduly lenient sentence scheme.
>
> The Attorney General's office has reviewed the the case and decided not to refer to the Court of Appeal, where the term could have been increased.
>
> Ramsbottom was at the wheel of a Peugeot Boxer van when he collided with the high performance road machine ridden by married father-of-two Stephen White.
>
> The court heard that Mr White was riding his road bike down a straight section of the A646 Burnley Road travelling towards Todmorden when the collision took place at 10.30am on May 9, 2020.
>
> Ramsbottom was working as a delivery driver for Yodel and travelling in the opposite direction, when he took a right turn off the main road into Church Road, but was driving too fast and cut across the mouth of the junction, colliding with Mr White.
>
> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/19773491.yodel-delivery-driver-killed-cyclist-will-not-jail-sentence-increased-challenge/

Seven years custody and an eleven-year ban is a "soft" sentence, you say?

Did you say that about the 18-month sentence handed down to Charlie "no
brakes" Alliston, who killed a pedestrian with his fairy-cycle in Old
Street a few years ago.

<https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/18/cyclist-charlie-alliston-jailed-for-18-months-over-death-of-pedestrian>

Re: Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jail sentence increased after challenge

<0821eff6-3874-4063-ac97-3038828aa2a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4730&group=uk.rec.cycling#4730

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 09:09:52 -0800 (PST)
sentence increased after challenge
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 17:09 UTC

On Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 2:48:53 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
QUOTE:
Zizoux Bono 3 hrs ago
User ID: 3797818
It's simply not fit for purpose the justice system in this country what on earth is going on in 2022 no wonder the country is a absolute mess.
ENDS.

Quite.

> https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/19773491.yodel-delivery-driver-killed-cyclist-will-not-jail-sentence-increased-challenge/

Re: Yodel delivery driver who killed cyclist will not have jail sentence increased after challenge

<85b2495d-f2b9-44c7-8c1b-1c944c3895acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4760&group=uk.rec.cycling#4760

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 12:36:14 -0800 (PST)
sentence increased after challenge
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 20:36 UTC

Rendel Harris | 1474 posts | 1 hour ago
3 likes

As I understand it, careless driving (max sentence 7 years) entails driving that falls below the standard expected of a careful and competent driver, whereas dangerous driving (max sentence 14 years) falls "far below". How does driving around coked off your face not fall "far below" the standard of etc etc?

https://road.cc/content/news/appeal-increase-deadly-drivers-sentence-rejected-288539