If God didn't mean for us to juggle, tennis balls wouldn't come three to a can.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Oil fired boilers

SubjectAuthor
* Oil fired boilersGraham Harrison
+- Re: Oil fired boilersTheo
+* Re: Oil fired boilersAndy Burns
|+* Re: Oil fired boilersThe Natural Philosopher
||+- Re: Oil fired boilersMartin Brown
||`* Re: Oil fired boilersTim+
|| +- Re: Oil fired boilersThe Natural Philosopher
|| `* Re: Oil fired boilersMax Demian
||  `* Re: Oil fired boilersTim+
||   `- Re: Oil fired boilersThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Oil fired boilersAndrew
+- Re: Oil fired boilersJohn J
`* Re: Oil fired boilersGraeme
 `- Re: Oil fired boilersJohn J

1
Oil fired boilers

<2svv4htbik8mbevvadj3htgvo3tpncg2nc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47708&group=uk.d-i-y#47708

From: edward.h...@btinternet.com (Graham Harrison)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Oil fired boilers
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 10:36:18 +0100
 by: Graham Harrison - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 09:36 UTC

Our oil fired boiler locks out far too frequently (at least once a
week on average - can come in bursts of 2-3 per day for a couple of
days).

Engineer comes, changes various components, adjusts fuel mixture etc.
etc. but the problem recurs. (I'm beginning to think that with all the
components that have been changed it's turning into "Triggers broom"!)

Digging around on the internet I've come across products like HYDRA
VULCAN Heating oil additive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XKRW8SG/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A22E4JFCXL3T0B&psc=1
(other sources and makes are available)

The tank was installed about 15 Ayers ago when we first moved here.
The pre-existing tank had a manufacturing fault and we got a
reasonable deal on the replacement. Not having any knowledge of oil
rates of use I just got the same size (about 2300 litres). We've never
used more than 50% when it gets topped up (and yes, maybe I should go
off regular top ups but I am where I am). I believe we could easily go
the best part of 18 months without refuelling.

The question is are these products any good? Perhaps, more
importantly, are they bad? I'm thinking of doing one treatment just to
find out unless someone here knows better.

Re: Oil fired boilers

<OJg*gjaLy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47713&group=uk.d-i-y#47713

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Oil fired boilers
Date: 08 Apr 2022 11:06:16 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 10:06 UTC

Graham Harrison <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Our oil fired boiler locks out far too frequently (at least once a
> week on average - can come in bursts of 2-3 per day for a couple of
> days).
>
> Engineer comes, changes various components, adjusts fuel mixture etc.
> etc. but the problem recurs. (I'm beginning to think that with all the
> components that have been changed it's turning into "Triggers broom"!)
>
> Digging around on the internet I've come across products like HYDRA
> VULCAN Heating oil additive

I have no experience with such products, but I would want to know *why* the
boiler is locking out.

For an analogy, the lockout is a bit like the 'check engine' light on your
car. Adding something to the fuel is unlikely to solve a problem like a
faulty coil pack which stops a cylinder firing. It might marginally change
the way the fuel burns which might affect efficiency or power, but if the
car has decided something is wrong a bit of additive in the fuel is not
going to fix it.

Lockouts suggest that something is out of ordinary range: not a good flame
(which could be related to fuel supply, air supply, mixture or ignition
problems) or maybe temperature problems (overheating, lack of water flow,
problems with thermocouples). The actual control box is usually relatively
simple, but a bad input can cause things to go awry.

It sounds like you need a proper diagnosis of why the fault occurs, and a
technician who is just randomly swapping parts is not doing that. Really
you want something to log what happens during a lockout event (does the
spark voltage look good, is there a good flame signal from the photocell,
etc) which would tell you what the real problem is.

Theo

Re: Oil fired boilers

<jbah8sFiljeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47716&group=uk.d-i-y#47716

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 11:31:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 10:31 UTC

Graham Harrison wrote:

> Our oil fired boiler locks out far too frequently (at least once a
> week on average - can come in bursts of 2-3 per day for a couple of
> days).

wind related?

Re: Oil fired boilers

<t2p86a$uf0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47733&group=uk.d-i-y#47733

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:01:14 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 12:01 UTC

On 08/04/2022 11:31, Andy Burns wrote:
> Graham Harrison wrote:
>
>> Our oil fired boiler locks out far too frequently (at least once a
>> week on average - can come in bursts of 2-3 per day for a couple of
>> days).
>
> wind related?

That is the usual case when mine pops

I should have built a chimney instead of a balanced flue

--
For in reason, all government without the consent of the governed is the
very definition of slavery.

Jonathan Swift

Re: Oil fired boilers

<t2pcb6$108q$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47750&group=uk.d-i-y#47750

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:12:03 +0100
 by: Andrew - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:12 UTC

On 08/04/2022 11:31, Andy Burns wrote:
> Graham Harrison wrote:
>
>> Our oil fired boiler locks out far too frequently (at least once a
>> week on average - can come in bursts of 2-3 per day for a couple of
>> days).
>
> wind related?

biofuel growing bugs ?

Re: Oil fired boilers

<t2pnh3$noq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47780&group=uk.d-i-y#47780

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 17:22:51 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:22 UTC

> On 08/04/2022 11:31, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Graham Harrison wrote:
>>
>>> Our oil fired boiler locks out far too frequently (at least once a
>>> week on average - can come in bursts of 2-3 per day for a couple of
>>> days).
>>
>> wind related?
>>
> That is the usual case when mine pops
>
> I should have built a chimney instead of a balanced flue

I live in a very windy spot and mine only really locks out for wind when
it is in a particular direction and strong gusting to 50+ mph. A couple
of times each winter this may happen but no more than that.

If it is locking out more often than that then diagnosis depends on
exactly when it locks out and why. Over the years we have probably had
most of the things that can go wrong including the control board.

Most common failure is sooting up of the optical flame sensor so that
the unit shuts down because it thinks there is no flame (or there really
is no flame). It is easy enough to clean and put back as DIY.

Another which causes lockouts almost every morning is a very slow leak
on the oil feed solenoid so that there is too much kerosene in the
burner when it first starts with a big sooty flame. There may even be
drips of kerosene inside the bottom of the case. After a reset it will
apparently work fine all day only to fail again the following morning.

The last one is much less benign. If the exhaust pipe for the hot gasses
is beginning to fail and leaking somewhere then that can also cause
inexplicable frequent lockouts as the flue isn't balanced. Inspect it
carefully for signs of corrosion and/or soot on the outside.

Keep a log of when and how it fails and the wind direction and speed. It
might just be wind related - it has been very windy this week.

It matters whether it locks out after a few hours running OK or at start
of the day or only when there is a howling SW gale.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Oil fired boilers

<1120954682.671128198.823020.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47785&group=uk.d-i-y#47785

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Apr 2022 16:30:45 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:30 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 11:31, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Graham Harrison wrote:
>>
>>> Our oil fired boiler locks out far too frequently (at least once a
>>> week on average - can come in bursts of 2-3 per day for a couple of
>>> days).
>>
>> wind related?
>>
> That is the usual case when mine pops
>
> I should have built a chimney instead of a balanced flue

Interesting. I wonder where your boiler would get it’s air from then?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Oil fired boilers

<t2q047$q8e$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47813&group=uk.d-i-y#47813

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:49:43 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 18:49 UTC

On 08/04/2022 17:30, Tim+ wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> wind related?
>>>
>> That is the usual case when mine pops
>>
>> I should have built a chimney instead of a balanced flue
>>

> Interesting. I wonder where your boiler would get it’s air from then?
>
> Tim

separate intake of course

--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Re: Oil fired boilers

<c103db1d-f520-4981-a061-cc4b4363de66n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47931&group=uk.d-i-y#47931

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 14:22:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 21:22 UTC

On Friday, 8 April 2022 at 10:36:23 UTC+1, Graham Harrison wrote:
> Our oil fired boiler locks out far too frequently (at least once a
> week on average - can come in bursts of 2-3 per day for a couple of
> days).
>
> Engineer comes, changes various components, adjusts fuel mixture etc.
> etc. but the problem recurs. (I'm beginning to think that with all the
> components that have been changed it's turning into "Triggers broom"!)
>
> Digging around on the internet I've come across products like HYDRA
> VULCAN Heating oil additive
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XKRW8SG/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A22E4JFCXL3T0B&psc=1
> (other sources and makes are available)
>
> The tank was installed about 15 Ayers ago when we first moved here.
> The pre-existing tank had a manufacturing fault and we got a
> reasonable deal on the replacement. Not having any knowledge of oil
> rates of use I just got the same size (about 2300 litres). We've never
> used more than 50% when it gets topped up (and yes, maybe I should go
> off regular top ups but I am where I am). I believe we could easily go
> the best part of 18 months without refuelling.
>
> The question is are these products any good? Perhaps, more
> importantly, are they bad? I'm thinking of doing one treatment just to
> find out unless someone here knows better.
Don't waste your money on snake oil. Find out why the boiler is locking out and fix it. Make and model of boiler plus which variant of burner it uses would help. Also is the fuel supply clean and dry? Water/condensation in the fuel tank can cause problems as can clogged fuel filters. Firestop valves or other fuel shut off valves can create restrictions as can kinks in fuel pipes. Drops of water in fuel pipes can form ice plugs in the pipe. If fuel is not a problem is the fuel pump and it's solenoid ok? Odd faults can occur with pump solenoids which only show up when the coil warms up some of the danfoss models were known for this. Is the combustion chamber clear? I've had carbon build up in the flame path which gets hot, glows and the photocell thinks there's a flame present when it shouldn't be so the burner trips on false light lockout. Lots of other problems it could be but those are a start.

Re: Oil fired boilers

<t2ugvv$1s4r$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47993&group=uk.d-i-y#47993

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:02:08 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 12:02 UTC

On 08/04/2022 17:30, Tim+ wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> wind related?
>>>
>> That is the usual case when mine pops
>>
>> I should have built a chimney instead of a balanced flue

> Interesting. I wonder where your boiler would get it’s air from then?

From the room?

(I used to live in a bedsitter with a gas fire; the higher I turned it
up the more cold air came in under the door, so (somewhat) defeating the
purpose.)

--
Max Demian

Re: Oil fired boilers

<1925240282.671315868.910809.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48088&group=uk.d-i-y#48088

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 Apr 2022 20:39:38 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 20:39 UTC

Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 17:30, Tim+ wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> That is the usual case when mine pops
>>>
>>> I should have built a chimney instead of a balanced flue
>
>> Interesting. I wonder where your boiler would get it’s air from then?
>
> From the room?

Not a balanced flue then. My point being you can’t just change a balance
flue boiler to using a chimney without making major changes to the boiler.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Oil fired boilers

<t3124q$qqm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48123&group=uk.d-i-y#48123

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:07:05 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:07 UTC

On 10/04/2022 21:39, Tim+ wrote:
> Not a balanced flue then. My point being you can’t just change a balance
> flue boiler to using a chimney without making major changes to the boiler.
IRC my balance fule boiler could be fitted with either a balanced flue
or a device that sucked air down one tub and pushed the exhaust up a
chimney

i.e. the balanced flue was a bolt on to the boiler. Not integral

Re: Oil fired boilers

<shErVWDyrqXiFwNr@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49310&group=uk.d-i-y#49310

From: New...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Graeme)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:28:34 +0100
 by: Graeme - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:28 UTC

In message <2svv4htbik8mbevvadj3htgvo3tpncg2nc@4ax.com>, Graham Harrison
<edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> writes
>Our oil fired boiler locks out far too frequently (at least once a
>week on average - can come in bursts of 2-3 per day for a couple of
>days).

Just read this thread. Sorry.

We have a Worcester oil fired boiled and had exactly the same problem.
Cutting a very long story short, a young-ish guy turned up, and couldn't
find anything wrong. Frustrated but not wanting to admit defeat, he
eventually phoned an old timer who said check the fan carefully. Sure
enough, he dismantled that and found that a plastic or nylon gear (I
think) on the spindle had cracked just enough that it gripped the
spindle well enough most of the time, but not all of the time, hence the
lockouts. Changed that and problem cured.
--
Graeme

Re: Oil fired boilers

<c974ccd3-479a-4e6b-8116-d310afa7db05n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49354&group=uk.d-i-y#49354

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:19:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:19 UTC

On Tuesday, 19 April 2022 at 13:28:46 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
> In message <2svv4htbik8mbevva...@4ax.com>, Graham Harrison
> <edward.ha...@btinternet.com> writes
> >Our oil fired boiler locks out far too frequently (at least once a
> >week on average - can come in bursts of 2-3 per day for a couple of
> >days).
> Just read this thread. Sorry.
>
> We have a Worcester oil fired boiled and had exactly the same problem.
> Cutting a very long story short, a young-ish guy turned up, and couldn't
> find anything wrong. Frustrated but not wanting to admit defeat, he
> eventually phoned an old timer who said check the fan carefully. Sure
> enough, he dismantled that and found that a plastic or nylon gear (I
> think) on the spindle had cracked just enough that it gripped the
> spindle well enough most of the time, but not all of the time, hence the
> lockouts. Changed that and problem cured.
> --
> Graeme
The motor shaft of many oil burners has a "flat" which is located under the flexi-drive connector. It's not uncommon for the plastic drive dog on the end of the flexy-drive to become worn and provide unreliable drive to the oil pump. It's not normally something that comes and goes intermittently so I wouldn't discount your theory but it's rarely found as an intermittent fault. Riello burners used a plastic drive dog which also failed from time to time in a similar manner.
A lot of early model low level flue oil boilers were susceptible to adverse wind conditions whereby at the instant of shut off the cloud of hot combustion products were blown backwards from the combustion chamber into the burner and cooked the photocell, leading to unreliable operation. Frequently this also damaged the ignition electrodes while at the same time causing a stink in the house. Later models employed a fan run-on timer to purge the combustion chamber and overcome the problem.