1: No code table for op: ++post

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Repairing spring contact in kettle base

SubjectAuthor
* Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRobin
+* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle basewhisky-dave
|`- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseTim+
+* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseAndy Burns
|`- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRobin
+* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseGB
|`* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRobin
| +* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseBob Eager
| |`- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRobin
| +* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRichard
| |`- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRobin
| `- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseGB
+* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseDave W
|`* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRobin
| `- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseDave W
+* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseClive Arthur
|+- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRichard
|`- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRobin
`* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseAnimal
 +* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseGB
 |`* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseAnimal
 | +- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseGB
 | `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseBob Eager
 |  `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseThe Natural Philosopher
 |   +* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseGB
 |   |`* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseBob Eager
 |   | `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseTim+
 |   |  `- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRichard
 |   `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseGB
 |    `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseThe Natural Philosopher
 |     `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseGB
 |      +* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseMax Demian
 |      |`* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseTim+
 |      | +- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseGB
 |      | `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseBob Eager
 |      |  +* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseJacob Jones
 |      |  |`* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRichard
 |      |  | `- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseJacob Jones
 |      |  `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseMax Demian
 |      |   `- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseBob Eager
 |      `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseJock
 |       `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseRichard
 |        `- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseJock
 `* Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseAndy Burns
  +- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseAA
  `- Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle baseBob Eager

Pages:12
Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<4c59931d-ff72-bf73-82e5-756de1a8b004@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47762&group=uk.d-i-y#47762

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Repairing spring contact in kettle base
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:39:57 +0100
 by: Robin - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 13:39 UTC

The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at a
right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid. I am
struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
soldering irons and hand-held drills. (No welder, high temp gas torch
or mini drill available. Soft solder on a copper strip inside the angle
seems far too weak. But there's no space in the base to add any
thickness to the back of the bend.

I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git club
drives me.

photos:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL

PS
I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay,
Aliexpress etc.

Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c.£40
more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected from
Argos.

--
Robin

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<b56be782-9516-4a7e-9594-dbcce81ef432n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47772&group=uk.d-i-y#47772

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:14:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (whisky-dave)
 by: whisky-dave - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:14 UTC

On Friday, 8 April 2022 at 14:40:02 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at a
> right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid. I am
> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
> soldering irons and hand-held drills. (No welder, high temp gas torch
> or mini drill available. Soft solder on a copper strip inside the angle
> seems far too weak. But there's no space in the base to add any
> thickness to the back of the bend.
>
> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git club
> drives me.
>
> photos:
>
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>
> PS
> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay,
> Aliexpress etc.
>
> Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c..£40
> more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected from
> Argos.

Mine was Brita suppose they are all pretty much the same.
Now I don;t take the kettle of the base to fill it I use a pint glass to fill it up,
in theory this should make it last twice as long.
I also think lifting it on and off the base wheile it's on and boiling caused a few problems in my previous but one kettle.

> --
> Robin
> reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<jbb21nFlte6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47774&group=uk.d-i-y#47774

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:18:13 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:18 UTC

Robin wrote:

> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay

AIUI, many of these connectors are made by STRIX, anything similar?

<https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383777140020>

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<1028658165.671128484.028902.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47786&group=uk.d-i-y#47786

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Apr 2022 16:35:21 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:35 UTC

whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 8 April 2022 at 14:40:02 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
>> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at a
>> right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid. I am
>> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
>> soldering irons and hand-held drills. (No welder, high temp gas torch
>> or mini drill available. Soft solder on a copper strip inside the angle
>> seems far too weak. But there's no space in the base to add any
>> thickness to the back of the bend.
>>
>> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git club
>> drives me.
>>
>> photos:
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>>
>> PS
>> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay,
>> Aliexpress etc.
>>
>> Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c.£40
>> more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected from
>> Argos.
>
> Mine was Brita suppose they are all pretty much the same.
> Now I don;t take the kettle of the base to fill it I use a pint glass to fill it up,
> in theory this should make it last twice as long.
> I also think lifting it on and off the base wheile it's on and boiling
> caused a few problems in my previous but one kettle.

Been doing that for years and never had a base fail.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<t2pu93$g2q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47800&group=uk.d-i-y#47800

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:18:12 +0100
 by: GB - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 18:18 UTC

On 08/04/2022 14:39, Robin wrote:
> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at a
> right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid.  I am
> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
> soldering irons and hand-held drills.  (No welder, high temp gas torch
> or mini drill available.  Soft solder on a copper strip inside the angle
> seems far too weak.  But there's no space in the base to add any
> thickness to the back of the bend.
>
> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git club
> drives me.
>
> photos:
>
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>
> PS
> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay,
> Aliexpress etc.

Which kettle is it? I noticed this base:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265624489004

> Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c.£40
> more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected from
> Argos.

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<a66f13a9-1a2e-2871-1649-306a22c271ad@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47840&group=uk.d-i-y#47840

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:30:39 +0100
 by: Robin - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 07:30 UTC

On 08/04/2022 19:18, GB wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 14:39, Robin wrote:
>> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at
>> a right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid.  I am
>> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
>> soldering irons and hand-held drills.  (No welder, high temp gas torch
>> or mini drill available.  Soft solder on a copper strip inside the
>> angle seems far too weak.  But there's no space in the base to add any
>> thickness to the back of the bend.
>>
>> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git
>> club drives me.
>>
>> photos:
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>>
>> PS
>> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on
>> eBay, Aliexpress etc.
>

> Which kettle is it? I noticed this base:
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265624489004

Good spot. Mine's a similar model (TWK8633)to that TWK8637 so the base
might be the same. OTOH £22.99 doesn't feel good VFM when a entire new
kettle & base with 2 year warranty was only £60.

--
Robin

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<fc6b032b-be90-3399-a95d-7d215c068d64@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47841&group=uk.d-i-y#47841

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:33:41 +0100
 by: Robin - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 07:33 UTC

On 08/04/2022 16:18, Andy Burns wrote:
> Robin wrote:
>
>> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay
>
> AIUI, many of these connectors are made by STRIX, anything similar?

Thanks but I couldn't see anything by STRIX that matched.

The only reference number on mine brings up some connectors but nothing
that matches. (Might be that Bosch prices let them have such parts made
to their spec for their exclusive use?)

--
Robin

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<jbcrhuFi4ihU9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47842&group=uk.d-i-y#47842

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 9 Apr 2022 07:39:42 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 07:39 UTC

On Sat, 09 Apr 2022 08:30:39 +0100, Robin wrote:

> On 08/04/2022 19:18, GB wrote:
>> On 08/04/2022 14:39, Robin wrote:
>>> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at
>>> a right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid.  I am
>>> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
>>> soldering irons and hand-held drills.  (No welder, high temp gas torch
>>> or mini drill available.  Soft solder on a copper strip inside the
>>> angle seems far too weak.  But there's no space in the base to add any
>>> thickness to the back of the bend.
>>>
>>> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git
>>> club drives me.
>>>
>>> photos:
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>>>
>>> PS I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on
>>> eBay, Aliexpress etc.
>>

>> Which kettle is it? I noticed this base:
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265624489004
>>

> Good spot. Mine's a similar model (TWK8633)to that TWK8637 so the base
> might be the same. OTOH £22.99 doesn't feel good VFM when a entire new
> kettle & base with 2 year warranty was only £60.

I thought I had a base I was keeping for spares, but I've just been up in
the loft and it looks as if I dumped it during the clearout 3 months
ago! :-(

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<tbv35hdimpgngi310ab0j8a4ela1n4g01f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47937&group=uk.d-i-y#47937

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 22:50:26 +0100
 by: Dave W - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 21:50 UTC

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:39:57 +0100, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at a
>right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid. I am
>struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
>soldering irons and hand-held drills. (No welder, high temp gas torch
>or mini drill available. Soft solder on a copper strip inside the angle
>seems far too weak. But there's no space in the base to add any
>thickness to the back of the bend.
>
>I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git club
>drives me.
>
>photos:
>
>https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
>https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>
>PS
>I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay,
>Aliexpress etc.
>
>Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c.£40
>more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected from
>Argos.
The first thing I would try would be to straighten out the right-angle
springy bit to give more length, bend up a tab in the end of it by 45
deg and use solder to sweat the tab to the input part. You might have
to cut away a bit of the plastic base to allow for the straightened
length instead of the original right-angle.
--
Dave W

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<78ca35c9-99e1-791a-1a94-c984bf4eb47c@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47969&group=uk.d-i-y#47969

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:38:07 +0100
 by: Robin - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 07:38 UTC

On 09/04/2022 08:39, Bob Eager wrote:
<snip>

> I thought I had a base I was keeping for spares, but I've just been up in
> the loft and it looks as if I dumped it during the clearout 3 months
> ago! :-(

Thanks for looking.

--
Robin

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<35d97570-d399-7337-bec8-53802e0273ba@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47972&group=uk.d-i-y#47972

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:03:16 +0100
 by: Robin - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:03 UTC

On 09/04/2022 22:50, Dave W wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:39:57 +0100, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at a
>> right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid. I am
>> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
>> soldering irons and hand-held drills. (No welder, high temp gas torch
>> or mini drill available. Soft solder on a copper strip inside the angle
>> seems far too weak. But there's no space in the base to add any
>> thickness to the back of the bend.
>>
>> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git club
>> drives me.
>>
>> photos:
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>>
>> PS
>> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay,
>> Aliexpress etc.
>>
>> Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c.£40
>> more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected from
>> Argos.
>
> The first thing I would try would be to straighten out the right-angle
> springy bit to give more length, bend up a tab in the end of it by 45
> deg and use solder to sweat the tab to the input part. You might have
> to cut away a bit of the plastic base to allow for the straightened
> length instead of the original right-angle.

Thanks but sadly I'm confident that's way beyond my skills. I'm already
worried about the geometry needed to bring the electrical contact back
in the slot, at the right height, and level. The photos don't show
clearly that the only right-angle is at the break. After that there are
3 other angles (including the one that cranks it to the slot). My aim
was to keep the original geometry of the cranked connect - save possibly
inserting a bit at the break, which I could deal with by not pushing it
fully back into the base.

--
Robin

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<t2u8qn$1345$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47983&group=uk.d-i-y#47983

From: smith...@btinternet.com.invalid (Richard)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:42:47 +0100
 by: Richard - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:42 UTC

On 09/04/2022 08:30, Robin wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 19:18, GB wrote:
>> On 08/04/2022 14:39, Robin wrote:
>>> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped
>>> at a right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid.  I
>>> am struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just
>>> electric soldering irons and hand-held drills.  (No welder, high temp
>>> gas torch or mini drill available.  Soft solder on a copper strip
>>> inside the angle seems far too weak.  But there's no space in the
>>> base to add any thickness to the back of the bend.
>>>
>>> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git
>>> club drives me.
>>>
>>> photos:
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>>>
>>> PS
>>> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on
>>> eBay, Aliexpress etc.
>>

>> Which kettle is it? I noticed this base:
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265624489004
>>

> Good spot.  Mine's a similar model (TWK8633)to that TWK8637 so the base
> might be the same.  OTOH £22.99 doesn't feel good VFM when a entire new
> kettle & base with 2 year warranty was only £60.

Looking at that base, is this anything like what you need?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Replacement/dp/B08D9MML9Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<t2u9cr$jkv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47986&group=uk.d-i-y#47986

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:52:26 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:52 UTC

On 08/04/2022 14:39, Robin wrote:
> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at a
> right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid.  I am
> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
> soldering irons and hand-held drills.  (No welder, high temp gas torch
> or mini drill available.  Soft solder on a copper strip inside the angle
> seems far too weak.  But there's no space in the base to add any
> thickness to the back of the bend.
>
> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git club
> drives me.
>
> photos:
>
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>
> PS
> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay,
> Aliexpress etc.
>
> Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c.£40
> more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected from
> Argos.

I would solder some wires onto the kettle contacts, wire these to a 13A
plug and glue this to the underside of the kettle. You'd probably need
three or four feet glued on as well to give sufficient height. Then you
can make a base out of a 13A socket on a piece of wood.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<t2u9pd$1g13$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=47987&group=uk.d-i-y#47987

From: smith...@btinternet.com.invalid (Richard)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:59:09 +0100
 by: Richard - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:59 UTC

On 10/04/2022 10:52, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 14:39, Robin wrote:
>> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at
>> a right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid.  I am
>> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
>> soldering irons and hand-held drills.  (No welder, high temp gas torch
>> or mini drill available.  Soft solder on a copper strip inside the
>> angle seems far too weak.  But there's no space in the base to add any
>> thickness to the back of the bend.
>>
>> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git
>> club drives me.
>>
>> photos:
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>>
>> PS
>> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on
>> eBay, Aliexpress etc.
>>
>> Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c.£40
>> more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected
>> from Argos.
>
> I would solder some wires onto the kettle contacts, wire these to a 13A
> plug and glue this to the underside of the kettle.  You'd probably need
> three or four feet glued on as well to give sufficient height.  Then you
> can make a base out of a 13A socket on a piece of wood.

:)

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<3b02fd7b-1971-acee-a48f-580f165a635b@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48006&group=uk.d-i-y#48006

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:14:53 +0100
 by: Robin - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:14 UTC

On 10/04/2022 10:42, Richard wrote:
> On 09/04/2022 08:30, Robin wrote:

>>> Which kettle is it? I noticed this base:
>>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265624489004
>>>

>> Good spot.  Mine's a similar model (TWK8633)to that TWK8637 so the
>> base might be the same.  OTOH £22.99 doesn't feel good VFM when a
>> entire new kettle & base with 2 year warranty was only £60.
>>

> Looking at that base, is this anything like what you need?
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Replacement/dp/B08D9MML9Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I thought at first you'd hit the bullseye as that's the same overall
size and shape, and has the same 5 contacts in much the same places. But
(after overlaying the images) the contacts don't all go to the same
rings and none is the shape I need.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgXAuLKn4j3A0cA8P?e=Cz3EK9

--
Robin

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<7a495d38-0c1b-0f47-5190-bdce7bd73168@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48011&group=uk.d-i-y#48011

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:27:16 +0100
 by: Robin - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:27 UTC

On 10/04/2022 10:52, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 14:39, Robin wrote:
>> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at
>> a right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid.  I am
>> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
>> soldering irons and hand-held drills.  (No welder, high temp gas torch
>> or mini drill available.  Soft solder on a copper strip inside the
>> angle seems far too weak.  But there's no space in the base to add any
>> thickness to the back of the bend.
>>
>> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git
>> club drives me.
>>
>> photos:
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>>
>> PS
>> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on
>> eBay, Aliexpress etc.
>>
>> Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c.£40
>> more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected
>> from Argos.
>
> I would solder some wires onto the kettle contacts, wire these to a 13A
> plug and glue this to the underside of the kettle.  You'd probably need
> three or four feet glued on as well to give sufficient height.  Then you
> can make a base out of a 13A socket on a piece of wood.

But then I'd lose the multiple temperatures and flashing lights on the
kettle base! (This is the kettle 'er indoors pointed me to after
reading the review on the John Lewis website which began "I sent him out
to buy a kettle and he cam back with the Starship Enterprise".)

--
Robin

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<t31g42$g3j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48155&group=uk.d-i-y#48155

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 16:05:38 +0100
 by: GB - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:05 UTC

On 09/04/2022 08:30, Robin wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 19:18, GB wrote:
>> On 08/04/2022 14:39, Robin wrote:
>>> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped
>>> at a right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid.  I
>>> am struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just
>>> electric soldering irons and hand-held drills.  (No welder, high temp
>>> gas torch or mini drill available.  Soft solder on a copper strip
>>> inside the angle seems far too weak.  But there's no space in the
>>> base to add any thickness to the back of the bend.
>>>
>>> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git
>>> club drives me.
>>>
>>> photos:
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>>>
>>> PS
>>> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on
>>> eBay, Aliexpress etc.
>>

>> Which kettle is it? I noticed this base:
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265624489004
>>

> Good spot.  Mine's a similar model (TWK8633)to that TWK8637 so the base
> might be the same.  OTOH £22.99 doesn't feel good VFM when a entire new
> kettle & base with 2 year warranty was only £60.

You could always make them a cheeky offer. I doubt they've had much
interest.

There are similar items 'for spares' for very little money. For example,
125242319031.

Maybe best to stick to the exact same model number?

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<24787040-75df-4f8f-9d9a-ee1cb0363e66n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48191&group=uk.d-i-y#48191

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:54:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 16:54 UTC

On Friday, 8 April 2022 at 14:40:02 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at a
> right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid. I am
> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
> soldering irons and hand-held drills. (No welder, high temp gas torch
> or mini drill available. Soft solder on a copper strip inside the angle
> seems far too weak. But there's no space in the base to add any
> thickness to the back of the bend.
>
> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git club
> drives me.
>
> photos:
>
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>
> PS
> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay,
> Aliexpress etc.
>
> Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c..£40
> more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected from
> Argos.

A new kettle's only a few quid.

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<t31nbq$d92$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48203&group=uk.d-i-y#48203

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:09:15 +0100
 by: GB - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 17:09 UTC

On 11/04/2022 17:54, Animal wrote:

> A new kettle's only a few quid.

Not if you want it to produce say 70 degree water. Do keep up at the
back there!

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<97ab82fd-97cf-4c33-9610-1f7b546570c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48422&group=uk.d-i-y#48422

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 11:31:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 18:31 UTC

On Monday, 11 April 2022 at 18:09:18 UTC+1, GB wrote:
> On 11/04/2022 17:54, Animal wrote:
>
> > A new kettle's only a few quid.
> Not if you want it to produce say 70 degree water. Do keep up at the
> back there!

I don't recall the OP ever mentioning that

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<ofhb5h12h72krlpcdlq4d4mjog3pr29be9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48428&group=uk.d-i-y#48428

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 19:49:09 +0100
 by: Dave W - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 18:49 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:03:16 +0100, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>On 09/04/2022 22:50, Dave W wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:39:57 +0100, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The sprung contact for neutral in our Bosch kettle base has snapped at a
>>> right-angle bend where the "springy" bit comes off the rigid. I am
>>> struggling to see how to make a strong enough join with just electric
>>> soldering irons and hand-held drills. (No welder, high temp gas torch
>>> or mini drill available. Soft solder on a copper strip inside the angle
>>> seems far too weak. But there's no space in the base to add any
>>> thickness to the back of the bend.
>>>
>>> I suspect I'm doomed to failure but membership of the mean old git club
>>> drives me.
>>>
>>> photos:
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW5IC2a2XINg_7hy?e=QrPkaf
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmVYDBG474bgW8xsPrNVtGwvmkA?e=epbxAL
>>>
>>> PS
>>> I have looked without success for an entire new base connector on eBay,
>>> Aliexpress etc.
>>>
>>> Bosch only offer as a spare an entire new base with cable – for c.£40
>>> more than the cost of the whole new replacement kettle I collected from
>>> Argos.
>>
>> The first thing I would try would be to straighten out the right-angle
>> springy bit to give more length, bend up a tab in the end of it by 45
>> deg and use solder to sweat the tab to the input part. You might have
>> to cut away a bit of the plastic base to allow for the straightened
>> length instead of the original right-angle.
>
>Thanks but sadly I'm confident that's way beyond my skills. I'm already
>worried about the geometry needed to bring the electrical contact back
>in the slot, at the right height, and level. The photos don't show
>clearly that the only right-angle is at the break. After that there are
>3 other angles (including the one that cranks it to the slot). My aim
>was to keep the original geometry of the cranked connect - save possibly
>inserting a bit at the break, which I could deal with by not pushing it
>fully back into the base.

The right angle I meant was the bend in the springy bit with the
contact, not the right angle next to the break. I think it's the one
you say "cranks it to the slot".
I'm advocating straightening out the springy bit so that you don't
have to add extra metal soldered to both broken parts to bridge the
gap. The extra length got by straightening means you can overlap it to
the other bit and just have one soldered joint.
You could add a bend near the contact to make it flat to its target
again.
--
Dave W

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<t34mgm$98s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48459&group=uk.d-i-y#48459

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 21:13:11 +0100
 by: GB - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 20:13 UTC

On 12/04/2022 19:31, Animal wrote:
> On Monday, 11 April 2022 at 18:09:18 UTC+1, GB wrote:
>> On 11/04/2022 17:54, Animal wrote:
>>
>>> A new kettle's only a few quid.
>> Not if you want it to produce say 70 degree water. Do keep up at the
>> back there!
>
> I don't recall the OP ever mentioning that

I totally agree - and I was joking about keeping up, btw.

If you look at the photos in the OP, the second one shows there are 4
connections to the kettle. You don't need that many for a standard kettle.

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<jbm63kFnmjsU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48463&group=uk.d-i-y#48463

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 12 Apr 2022 20:35:00 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 20:35 UTC

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 11:31:53 -0700, Animal wrote:

> On Monday, 11 April 2022 at 18:09:18 UTC+1, GB wrote:
>> On 11/04/2022 17:54, Animal wrote:
>>
>> > A new kettle's only a few quid.
>> Not if you want it to produce say 70 degree water. Do keep up at the
>> back there!
>
> I don't recall the OP ever mentioning that

Pretty sure he mentioned temperature selection, if not the temperature
figure. That model (we have one) allows setting to 70, 80, 90 or 100.

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<t3664n$v1o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48502&group=uk.d-i-y#48502

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:45:59 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 09:45 UTC

On 12/04/2022 21:35, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 11:31:53 -0700, Animal wrote:

>>> Not if you want it to produce say 70 degree water. Do keep up at the
>>> back there!
>>
>> I don't recall the OP ever mentioning that
>
> Pretty sure he mentioned temperature selection, if not the temperature
> figure. That model (we have one) allows setting to 70, 80, 90 or 100.

What the *** us wrong with simply adding a bit of cold after its boiled
if you want 70°C?

This is complexity for its own sake.

I am reminded of the advert currently on telly that tells me how
infinitely better my life would be if I could draw my blinds with a
remote control

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Re: Repairing spring contact in kettle base

<t36dr2$q88$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48530&group=uk.d-i-y#48530

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)