From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: In goes Un Clown
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 15:00:25 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 11 May 2022 14:00 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61404062

<quotes>

The prime minister has said he will support Sweden and Finland if they come under attack

"In the event of a disaster or an attack upon Sweden, the UK would come to the assistance of Sweden with whatever Sweden requested".

Boris Johnson is expected to make similar commitments when he visits Finland later

</quotes>

I am surprised he's allowed to make such commitments without parliamentary approval.

It appears he's unilaterally committed us to going as far as nuking a third-party if Sweden requests it but I imagine the lying serial liar is simply lying again, promising far more than would ever actually be given.

At least let's hope so.

Re: In goes Un Clown

<DyPeK.3139154$u91.1247425@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4794&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4794

Subject: Re: In goes Un Clown
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: ngspamme...@yahoo.co.uk (TWP)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 15:16:03 +0100
 by: TWP - Wed, 11 May 2022 14:16 UTC

On 11/05/2022 15:00, The Happy Hippy wrote:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61404062
>
> <quotes>
>
> The prime minister has said he will support Sweden and Finland if they come under attack
>
> "In the event of a disaster or an attack upon Sweden, the UK would come to the assistance of Sweden with whatever Sweden requested".
>
> Boris Johnson is expected to make similar commitments when he visits Finland later
>
> </quotes>
>
> I am surprised he's allowed to make such commitments without parliamentary approval.
>
> It appears he's unilaterally committed us to going as far as nuking a third-party if Sweden requests it but I imagine the lying serial liar is simply lying again, promising far more than would ever actually be given.
>
> At least let's hope so.

I'll get something ready for him to copy and paste... hold on....

"I am speaking to you from the Cabinet Room at 10, Downing Street.

This morning the British Ambassador in Moscow handed the Russian
Government a final note stating that unless we heard from them by 10.00
a.m. that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from
Sweden/Finland, a state of war would exist between us.

I have to tell you that no such undertaking has been received, and that
consequently this country is at war with Russia."

It only needed a bit of editing.

Re: In goes Un Clown

<20220511163142.000056fd@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4799&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4799

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 16:31:42 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 11 May 2022 15:31 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 15:16:03 +0100
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11/05/2022 15:00, The Happy Hippy wrote:
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61404062
> >
> > <quotes>
> >
> > The prime minister has said he will support Sweden and Finland if
> > they come under attack
> >
> > "In the event of a disaster or an attack upon Sweden, the UK would
> > come to the assistance of Sweden with whatever Sweden requested".
> >
> > Boris Johnson is expected to make similar commitments when he
> > visits Finland later
> >
> > </quotes>
> >
> > I am surprised he's allowed to make such commitments without
> > parliamentary approval.
> >
> > It appears he's unilaterally committed us to going as far as nuking
> > a third-party if Sweden requests it but I imagine the lying serial
> > liar is simply lying again, promising far more than would ever
> > actually be given.
> >
> > At least let's hope so.
> >

> I'll get something ready for him to copy and paste... hold on....
>

> "I am speaking to you from the Cabinet Room at 10, Downing Street.
>
> This morning the British Ambassador in Moscow handed the Russian
> Government a final note stating that unless we heard from them by
> 10.00 a.m. that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops
> from Sweden/Finland, a state of war would exist between us.
>
> I have to tell you that no such undertaking has been received, and
> that consequently this country is at war with Russia."
>

> It only needed a bit of editing.

Indeed. What is quite staggering is there appears to be no published copy of these agreements to be found. Downing Street and government sites are lauding the agreement but there's no sign of, or link to, what has actually been agreed and signed, no way to tell what Johnson has had us agree to, what the extent, limitations and potential consequences of that agreement are.

I believe it was the Spectator who also described it as giving Sweden and Finland "a place under Britain's nuclear umbrella". It would be nice to know if it does or doesn't, what Johnson has casually walked us into without asking us first.

If I were Putin I might be thinking about incursions into Finland and Sweden just to put pressure on Britain, divide our meagre forces and limited resources across three fronts.

That could quickly show whether we were prepared to engage in actual war with Russia or were just paper tigers desperate to keep ourselves from it.