I'm GLAD I remembered to XEROX all my UNDERSHIRTS!!

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

SubjectAuthor
* Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bitssweller
+* Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and BitsAlan
|+- Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and BitsDave Brown
|+- Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bitssweller
|`* Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bitssweller
| `* Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and BitsMark Roberts
|  `* Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bitssweller
|   `- Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and BitsMark Roberts
`* Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and BitsWUN
 +- Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and BitsgeoffC
 `- Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bitssweller

1
Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<iso8h3FrmcsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4800&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4800

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits
Date: 13 Oct 2021 14:24:35 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:24 UTC

My old driver has this steam boat (amongst a lot of other steam stuff)
and it has radio control gear.

In the mists of time it's been separated from its controller and the
battery box is also a horrrible green mess.

http://www.sweller.co.uk/SteamBoatRC/steamboat1.jpg
http://www.sweller.co.uk/SteamBoatRC/steamboat2.jpg
http://www.sweller.co.uk/SteamBoatRC/steamboat3.jpg

I'm guessing complete new kit would be the best solution.

Where would I buy the necessary parts?

--
Simon

Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<O-SdnTFG5Y9Yb_v8nZ2dnUU78VednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4803&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4803

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Subject: Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 09:52:53 -0500
 by: Alan - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:52 UTC

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:24:35 +0000, sweller wrote:

> My old driver has this steam boat (amongst a lot of other steam stuff)
> and it has radio control gear.
> I'm guessing complete new kit would be the best solution.
> Where would I buy the necessary parts?

Start here:
<https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-category/radio-control/radio-sets/4-
channel-radio-sets/>

Probably best to actually talk to them to ask what they recommend. You'll
need a bit more info, how many servos, what size battery etc.
There are loads of other places that do similar stuff. Isn't Brownz a bit
of a RC boffin?

Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<69b586f5-a39a-4491-bbf5-c3e71e3832c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4814&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4814

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 10:16:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: nigel.ea...@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 17:16 UTC

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 3:24:36 PM UTC+1, sweller wrote:
> My old driver has this steam boat (amongst a lot of other steam stuff)
> and it has radio control gear.
>
> In the mists of time it's been separated from its controller and the
> battery box is also a horrrible green mess.
>
> http://www.sweller.co.uk/SteamBoatRC/steamboat1.jpg
> http://www.sweller.co.uk/SteamBoatRC/steamboat2.jpg
> http://www.sweller.co.uk/SteamBoatRC/steamboat3.jpg

That's really rather lovely.

> I'm guessing complete new kit would be the best solution.

Yep, the old 27MHz stuff is very dated, and relies on no one else
being on the same channel in the area. Go for more up to date
2.4GHz gear.

These boys should see you right: https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/

--
WUN

Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<sk78o8$kpn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4816&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4816

From: me...@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 18:32:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 18:32 UTC

WUN wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 3:24:36 PM UTC+1, sweller wrote:
> > My old driver has this steam boat (amongst a lot of other steam
> > stuff) and it has radio control gear.
> >
> > In the mists of time it's been separated from its controller and
> > the battery box is also a horrrible green mess.
> >
> > http://www.sweller.co.uk/SteamBoatRC/steamboat1.jpg
> > http://www.sweller.co.uk/SteamBoatRC/steamboat2.jpg
> > http://www.sweller.co.uk/SteamBoatRC/steamboat3.jpg
>
> That's really rather lovely.

<SNIP>

Isn't it just.
What a tiny engine! about the same size as a servo, bet it's quite
powerful though.

--
Geoff

Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<b4381e66-5ac2-4ee8-b010-e585e1eed810n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4826&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4826

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 01:09:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:09 UTC

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 3:52:54 PM UTC+1, Alan wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:24:35 +0000, sweller wrote:
>
> > My old driver has this steam boat (amongst a lot of other steam stuff)
> > and it has radio control gear.
> > I'm guessing complete new kit would be the best solution.
> > Where would I buy the necessary parts?
> Start here:
> <https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-category/radio-control/radio-sets/4-
> channel-radio-sets/>
>
> Probably best to actually talk to them to ask what they recommend. You'll
> need a bit more info, how many servos, what size battery etc.
> There are loads of other places that do similar stuff. Isn't Brownz a bit
> of a RC boffin?

I may have had a Tamiya Hornet / Grass Hopper when I was about 13yrs old, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

I think you must be mis-remembering me with someone else.

Just remove the "control" bit and you might be a bit closer. I'm happier elbows deep in a vintage amp or turn table.

Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<isqdm4F9oeaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4839&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4839

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Oct 2021 10:04:52 GMT
 by: sweller - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:04 UTC

WUN wrote:

> These boys should see you right:
> https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/

I've sent them an email to see what they suggest - their kit looks
reasonably priced.

--
Simon

Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<isqm9jFbd6tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4856&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4856

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Oct 2021 12:31:47 GMT
 by: sweller - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:31 UTC

Alan wrote:

> Start here:

<https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-category/radio-control/radio-sets/4-
> channel-radio-sets/>
>
> Probably best to actually talk to them to ask what they recommend.
> You'll need a bit more info, how many servos, what size battery etc.

They got back to me - very useful and not a bad price.

Now to work out the connectors and wiring - unfortunately the boat is
in north Wales.

--
Simon

Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<itsfd1Fq3ueU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5135&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5135

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 27 Oct 2021 08:02:41 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 08:02 UTC

Alan wrote:

> Start here:

<https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-category/radio-control/radio-sets/4-
> channel-radio-sets/>
>
> Probably best to actually talk to them to ask what they recommend.
> You'll need a bit more info, how many servos, what size battery etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

They were very helpful on the phone and the parts arrived quickly (the
need for eight batteries for the transmitter and four for the receiver
was a surpise! and prompted a trip to the real shops).

All set up and working on the table so next step is a trip to Wales and
my old mate to fit it to his steam boat.

--
Simon

Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<d47ingpv1slic4aek13okdgbsbdgkbhps7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5143&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5143

From: mar...@markr.myzen.co.uk (Mark Roberts)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 10:33:44 +0100
 by: Mark Roberts - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 09:33 UTC

On 27 Oct 2021 08:02:41 GMT, "sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>All set up and working on the table so next step is a trip to Wales and
>my old mate to fit it to his steam boat.

How did things go with the BMW?

--
Mark Roberts

Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<itsn8dFriq6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5144&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5144

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 27 Oct 2021 10:16:45 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 10:16 UTC

Mark Roberts wrote:

> > All set up and working on the table so next step is a trip to Wales
> > and my old mate to fit it to his steam boat.
>
> How did things go with the BMW?

I've fixed the oil leak (new oil pipe - it had corroded), it's still on
the bench with both wheels off. I'm waiting for the tyres to arrive.

Ah! His BMW - he sold it to another mate of ours who's using it as a
commuter.

--
Simon

Re: Radio Control Steam Boat - Servo and Bits

<sjflnglksvrs4g29p1fr2blhd4qm40f3eo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5160&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#5160

From: mar...@markr.myzen.co.uk (Mark Roberts)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:19:55 +0100
 by: Mark Roberts - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:19 UTC

On 27 Oct 2021 10:16:45 GMT, "sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Mark Roberts wrote:
>
>> > All set up and working on the table so next step is a trip to Wales
>> > and my old mate to fit it to his steam boat.
>>
>> How did things go with the BMW?
>
>I've fixed the oil leak (new oil pipe - it had corroded), it's still on
>the bench with both wheels off. I'm waiting for the tyres to arrive.

Good news.
Mine had its MOT this morning. I thought to check it last night at
about 10pm. Discovered the brake light wasn't working and had to do
some rejointing and self amalgamating tape in the dark.
Passed (advisory on rear wheel bearing; again) but depressingly this
brought the lack of annual mileage to my attention; 2,164 since last
October :(

>Ah! His BMW - he sold it to another mate of ours who's using it as a
>commuter.

Marvellous.
--
Mark Roberts