Q: How many Martians does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: One and a half.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael
+* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKYTC#1
|`- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael
+* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKYTC#1
|`* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael
| +- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKYTC#1
| `* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKBen Blaney
|  `* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael
|   +- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKBen Blaney
|   +* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKYTC#1
|   |`* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKCab
|   | `- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKYTC#1
|   `- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPete
+- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKwessie
+* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKwessie
|+- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKCab
|+* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael
||+* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKYTC#1
|||+* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael
|||`* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKCab
||| +* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKAce
||| `- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKYTC#1
||`* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKwessie
|| `- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael
|`* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKBen Blaney
| +- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKAce
| `* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael
|  +* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKBen Blaney
|  |`- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael
|  +- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKAce
|  `- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKYTC#1
+* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKwessie
|`* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael
| `- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKwessie
`* OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKChrisND @UKRM
 `- OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UKPaul Carmichael

Pages:123
OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<pan$c02d$4ddcd897$69283ed4$56a6647f@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4804&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4804

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK
Date: 13 Oct 2021 14:57:33 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:57 UTC

Our family are coming here (Spain) to stay in 2 weeks. They're getting in
a right state over govt requirements (Covid).

I know there are a few well travelled people here, so does anyone here
know how to find out what's what?

The adults are double jabbed, so no problem. The little one is too young
to need to do anything, but the boy is 11 and needs to get a test done
within 72 hours before flying (we think). But what kind of test? Would a
self-test suffice? He's had the one jab that Boris decided to give to
sprogs, but obviously doesn't have time for a second.

The daughter is pulling her hair out over this, so any advice would be
truly welcome.

Amen.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<sk6tv6$cbr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4806&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4806

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:28:38 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:28 UTC

On 13/10/2021 15:57, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> Our family are coming here (Spain) to stay in 2 weeks. They're getting in
> a right state over govt requirements (Covid).
>
> I know there are a few well travelled people here, so does anyone here
> know how to find out what's what?
>
> The adults are double jabbed, so no problem. The little one is too young
> to need to do anything, but the boy is 11 and needs to get a test done
> within 72 hours before flying (we think). But what kind of test? Would a
> self-test suffice? He's had the one jab that Boris decided to give to
> sprogs, but obviously doesn't have time for a second.
>
> The daughter is pulling her hair out over this, so any advice would be
> truly welcome.

Shouldn't the question be asked of someone n Spain, as that is the rules
needed for where they are headed. :-)

As to coming back fuck knows. Government can't make up their minds.
last month.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<sk6u38$cbr$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4807&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4807

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:30:48 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:30 UTC

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements#entry-rules-in-response-to-coronavirus-covid-19

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<pan$955c1$f05b0701$f4ec2ba9$ce621fe1@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4808&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4808

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 13 Oct 2021 15:39:22 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:39 UTC

El Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:28:38 +0100, YTC#1 escribió:

> On 13/10/2021 15:57, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>> Our family are coming here (Spain) to stay in 2 weeks. They're getting
>> in a right state over govt requirements (Covid).
>>
>> I know there are a few well travelled people here, so does anyone here
>> know how to find out what's what?
>>
>> The adults are double jabbed, so no problem. The little one is too
>> young to need to do anything, but the boy is 11 and needs to get a test
>> done within 72 hours before flying (we think). But what kind of test?
>> Would a self-test suffice? He's had the one jab that Boris decided to
>> give to sprogs, but obviously doesn't have time for a second.
>>
>> The daughter is pulling her hair out over this, so any advice would be
>> truly welcome.
>>

> Shouldn't the question be asked of someone n Spain, as that is the rules
> needed for where they are headed. :-)

But it's the numpties at the airport that decide if he can board the
flight.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<pan$32b68$4dd40eba$1f1eb0db$85e28bfa@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4809&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4809

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 13 Oct 2021 15:40:46 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:40 UTC

El Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:30:48 +0100, YTC#1 escribió:

> On 13/10/2021 15:57, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>> Our family are coming here (Spain) to stay in 2 weeks. They're getting
>> in a right state over govt requirements (Covid).
>>
>> I know there are a few well travelled people here, so does anyone here
>> know how to find out what's what?
>>
>> The adults are double jabbed, so no problem. The little one is too
>> young to need to do anything, but the boy is 11 and needs to get a test
>> done within 72 hours before flying (we think). But what kind of test?
>> Would a self-test suffice? He's had the one jab that Boris decided to
>> give to sprogs, but obviously doesn't have time for a second.
>>
>> The daughter is pulling her hair out over this, so any advice would be
>> truly welcome.
>>
>> Amen.
>>
> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements#entry-
rules-in-response-to-coronavirus-covid-19

They've read al that stuff, but we know that there are contradictions, so
we need to know what the airport staff will require.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<XnsADC2ACE66A4F2wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4810&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4810

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:59:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:59 UTC

Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in

> Our family are coming here (Spain) to stay in 2 weeks. They're getting
> in a right state over govt requirements (Covid).
>
> I know there are a few well travelled people here, so does anyone here
> know how to find out what's what?
>
> The adults are double jabbed, so no problem. The little one is too
> young to need to do anything, but the boy is 11 and needs to get a
> test done within 72 hours before flying (we think). But what kind of
> test? Would a self-test suffice? He's had the one jab that Boris
> decided to give to sprogs, but obviously doesn't have time for a
> second.
>
> The daughter is pulling her hair out over this, so any advice would be
> truly welcome.
>
> Amen.

which airport are they flying from? Could be differnet rules due to
devolution in Wales & Scotland

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<XnsADC2AEE9AB63Awtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4811&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4811

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:11:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:11 UTC

Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in

> Our family are coming here (Spain) to stay in 2 weeks. They're getting
> in a right state over govt requirements (Covid).
>
> I know there are a few well travelled people here, so does anyone here
> know how to find out what's what?
>
> The adults are double jabbed, so no problem. The little one is too
> young to need to do anything, but the boy is 11 and needs to get a
> test done within 72 hours before flying (we think). But what kind of
> test? Would a self-test suffice? He's had the one jab that Boris
> decided to give to sprogs, but obviously doesn't have time for a
> second.
>
> The daughter is pulling her hair out over this, so any advice would be
> truly welcome.
>
> Amen.

Seems your daughter is misreading the advice. At 11 years there is no
requirement for tests or vaccinations to leave the UK or enter Spain.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements#vaccination
is what the airline will want to enforce before boarding so they do not
have to carry people back to the the point of departure.

At 11 years, the lad does not need a vaccination but needs the Health
Control Form like all other travellers.

I have looked at Easyjet's website and the same information is given i.e.
only applies to those who are over 12.

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<sk71qg$bo1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4812&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4812

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 17:34:23 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:34 UTC

On 13/10/2021 16:40, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> El Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:30:48 +0100, YTC#1 escribió:
>
>> On 13/10/2021 15:57, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>>> Our family are coming here (Spain) to stay in 2 weeks. They're getting
>>> in a right state over govt requirements (Covid).
>>>
>>> I know there are a few well travelled people here, so does anyone here
>>> know how to find out what's what?
>>>
>>> The adults are double jabbed, so no problem. The little one is too
>>> young to need to do anything, but the boy is 11 and needs to get a test
>>> done within 72 hours before flying (we think). But what kind of test?
>>> Would a self-test suffice? He's had the one jab that Boris decided to
>>> give to sprogs, but obviously doesn't have time for a second.
>>>
>>> The daughter is pulling her hair out over this, so any advice would be
>>> truly welcome.
>>>
>>> Amen.
>>>
>> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements#entry-
> rules-in-response-to-coronavirus-covid-19
>

> They've read al that stuff, but we know that there are contradictions, so
> we need to know what the airport staff will require.

Ask some airport staff? :-)

The closest I have come to this was when going to Chile/Arg/Bolivia in
2014. Our return flight was 96 days, therefore exceeding the 90 day
Chile (on arrival) visa.

There was talk of not letting us on the flight, despite a shed load of
bike gear and our explanation of of not actually being in Chile for the
full time.

Sense, of course, prevailed. Especially when I agreed not to hold the
airline responsible and pay for a return fare if not allowed in.

The Chileans never batted an eyelid on arrival.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<xn0n449ly18ivk000@www.rosbif.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4822&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4822

From: me...@privacy.net (Cab)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:13:11 +0000
 by: Cab - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:13 UTC

wessie wibbled:

> > Our family are coming here (Spain) to stay in 2 weeks. They're
> > getting in a right state over govt requirements (Covid).
> >
> > I know there are a few well travelled people here, so does anyone
> > here know how to find out what's what?
> >
> > The adults are double jabbed, so no problem. The little one is too
> > young to need to do anything, but the boy is 11 and needs to get a
> > test done within 72 hours before flying (we think). But what kind of
> > test? Would a self-test suffice? He's had the one jab that Boris
> > decided to give to sprogs, but obviously doesn't have time for a
> > second.
> >
> > The daughter is pulling her hair out over this, so any advice would
> > be truly welcome.
> >
> > Amen.
> >

> Seems your daughter is misreading the advice. At 11 years there is no
> requirement for tests or vaccinations to leave the UK or enter Spain.
>
> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements#vacc
> ination is what the airline will want to enforce before boarding so
> they do not have to carry people back to the the point of departure.
>
> At 11 years, the lad does not need a vaccination but needs the Health
> Control Form like all other travellers.
>
> I have looked at Easyjet's website and the same information is given
> i.e. only applies to those who are over 12.

My colleagues that came over at the beginning of the week needed just
their vaccine certs to prove they were double jabbed. Otherwise a PCR
test would have done (but in France, you need a cert to go into
restaurants and bars officially - I've seen cases where that rule is
ignored).

But as Wessie said, there's no requirement for under 12's to have a
cert nor PCR test. In France. Spain may have different rules.

--
Cab
Z1000 and CB1300 and VeloSolex 3800

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<pan$56548$e6223c92$357db133$328969be@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4823&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4823

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Oct 2021 07:27:30 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:27 UTC

El Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:11:40 +0000, wessie escribió:

> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Our family are coming here (Spain) to stay in 2 weeks. They're getting
>> in a right state over govt requirements (Covid).
>>
>> I know there are a few well travelled people here, so does anyone here
>> know how to find out what's what?
>>
>> The adults are double jabbed, so no problem. The little one is too
>> young to need to do anything, but the boy is 11 and needs to get a test
>> done within 72 hours before flying (we think). But what kind of test?
>> Would a self-test suffice? He's had the one jab that Boris decided to
>> give to sprogs, but obviously doesn't have time for a second.
>>
>> The daughter is pulling her hair out over this, so any advice would be
>> truly welcome.
>>
>> Amen.
>>

> Seems your daughter is misreading the advice. At 11 years there is no
> requirement for tests or vaccinations to leave the UK or enter Spain.
>
> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-
requirements#vaccination
> is what the airline will want to enforce before boarding so they do not
> have to carry people back to the the point of departure.
>
> At 11 years, the lad does not need a vaccination but needs the Health
> Control Form like all other travellers.
>
> I have looked at Easyjet's website and the same information is given
> i.e. only applies to those who are over 12.

Silly me. The problem is he just turned 12.

She's going to the chemist today to see if they can sort it. They all
want their pound of flesh (c. GBP80).

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<ef17fe59-61a3-460b-897e-499e2edaf348n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4824&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4824

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:43:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: benbla...@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:43 UTC

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 11:40:48 AM UTC-4, Paul Carmichael wrote:

> They've read al that stuff, but we know that there are contradictions, so
> we need to know what the airport staff will require.

The airline will enforce the rules of the destination country. So, at the airport in London, they will enforce the rules for entering Spain (assuming they're flying direct). At the airport in Spain, the personnel will enforce the rules for travellers arriving in the UK.

You need to look at the Spanish rules, and the English rules. It's not that hard.

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<7b7fb39d-37d2-4699-84fb-d638c0ec64e2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4825&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4825

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:48:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: benbla...@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:48 UTC

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 12:11:41 PM UTC-4, wessie wrote:

> Seems your daughter is misreading the advice. At 11 years there is no
> requirement for tests or vaccinations to leave the UK or enter Spain.
>
> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements#vaccination
> is what the airline will want to enforce before boarding so they do not
> have to carry people back to the the point of departure.
>
> At 11 years, the lad does not need a vaccination but needs the Health
> Control Form like all other travellers.
>
> I have looked at Easyjet's website and the same information is given i.e.
> only applies to those who are over 12.

Strong advice is to go direct to the source. You can't rely on the British government to maintain correct information about entering Spain. Better: get information from the Spanish embassy in London (because it'll be in English). Best: get the information from the Spanish "home office'.

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<fhsfmghd90slr88cbar953i9ptgov82055@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4829&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4829

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 11:09:43 +0200
 by: Ace - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:09 UTC

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:48:22 -0700 (PDT), Ben Blaney
<benblaney@gmail.com> wrote:

>You need to look at the Spanish rules, and the English rules. It's not that hard.

>Strong advice is to go direct to the source. You can't rely on the British government to maintain correct information about entering Spain. Better: get information from the Spanish embassy in London (because it'll be in English). Best: get the information from the Spanish "home office'.

Quite so. We've travelled by air twice during the pandemic, both to
Greece, as it happens, but with very different rules in place. Each
time it's simply a case of finding the Greek rules for entry on an
official Greek website, which were available in English, and the Swiss
rules for entry published by the Swiss government. I don't remember if
the latter were also in English, but it shouldn't matter for Paul
anyway, fluent as he is in Spanish.

Airline/check-in staff have access to the official requirements for
each destination country, so will apply those directly, not referring
to anything that the airline itself, or indeed the country of
departure, may have published. As it happens, I thought they'd got it
wrong (they had not) when we were coming back last time from Crete,
but they gave me chapter and verse so I could find the relevant Swiss
web page and fill in a document we were missing.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<pan$a9e76$772ac6c$b25b3ca$ac926e65@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4830&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4830

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Oct 2021 09:16:00 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:16 UTC

El Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:43:47 -0700, Ben Blaney escribió:

> On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 11:40:48 AM UTC-4, Paul Carmichael
> wrote:
>
>> They've read al that stuff, but we know that there are contradictions,
>> so we need to know what the airport staff will require.
>
> The airline will enforce the rules of the destination country. So, at
> the airport in London, they will enforce the rules for entering Spain
> (assuming they're flying direct). At the airport in Spain, the
> personnel will enforce the rules for travellers arriving in the UK.
>
> You need to look at the Spanish rules, and the English rules. It's not
> that hard.

I know it's not hard. And I think you know I'm not stupid.

Whether here or in the other place, I don't remember, but inconsistencies
and contradictions have been pointed out more than once.

I was just hoping that someone had recent actual experience.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<2bfd598f-4560-480e-b825-df75c0c8967fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4831&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4831

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 02:22:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: benbla...@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:22 UTC

On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 5:16:02 AM UTC-4, Paul Carmichael wrote:

> > You need to look at the Spanish rules, and the English rules. It's not
> > that hard.
> I know it's not hard. And I think you know I'm not stupid.

I know! Frequently well-lubricated, but not stupid.

> Whether here or in the other place, I don't remember, but inconsistencies
> and contradictions have been pointed out more than once.
>
> I was just hoping that someone had recent actual experience.

I wouldn't over-rotate on that. The rules change fast. I was in the UK a couple of months ago, and I'm going back next week and it's all completely different.

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<pan$b36$10986e1b$9f88c2d3$254ea38b@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4832&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4832

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Oct 2021 09:38:44 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:38 UTC

El Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:48:22 -0700, Ben Blaney escribió:

> Strong advice is to go direct to the source. You can't rely on the
> British government to maintain correct information about entering Spain.
> Better: get information from the Spanish embassy in London (because
> it'll be in English).

Heh. I wouldn't trust a Spanish government translation. They use Google.
And I am a translator.

The daughter is going to ask at the chemist. The big chains all claim to
be up to date.

I just had a quick look at the govenment web site. It says "this is an
automatic translation from English. To be safe, see the original."

Bonkers.

Just found this:

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/EDIMBURGO/es/COVID19-UK/Documents/
Requisitos%20entrada%20en%20Espa%c3%b1a.pdf

Holidaying from the UK from 12 y/o PCR, LAMP or TMA.

NO se admite test
de antígenos.

I presume that's the self test that's not allowed.

Looks like the chemist option will win.

So yes, I could have spent some time searching instead of asking a simple
question here. But the truth is, I don't trust what I've read because
I've heard of people being turned away from flights after strictly
following gov instructions.

They'll either arrive next week or they won't.

Incidentally, our situation has just changed again. So I expect all the
rules will change this week. We are now in "the new normality" and
restrictions have pretty much gone away. They're even allowing full
attendance at footy matches and bullfights.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<sk8u3v$t37$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4835&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4835

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:43:25 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:43 UTC

On 14/10/2021 10:16, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> El Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:43:47 -0700, Ben Blaney escribió:
>
>> On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 11:40:48 AM UTC-4, Paul Carmichael
>> wrote:
>>
>>> They've read al that stuff, but we know that there are contradictions,
>>> so we need to know what the airport staff will require.
>>
>> The airline will enforce the rules of the destination country. So, at
>> the airport in London, they will enforce the rules for entering Spain
>> (assuming they're flying direct). At the airport in Spain, the
>> personnel will enforce the rules for travellers arriving in the UK.
>>
>> You need to look at the Spanish rules, and the English rules. It's not
>> that hard.
>

> I know it's not hard. And I think you know I'm not stupid.
>
> Whether here or in the other place, I don't remember, but inconsistencies
> and contradictions have been pointed out more than once.
>
> I was just hoping that someone had recent actual experience.

Mate has just flown out to Alicante, no issues. (But he is 65 and no
kids with him)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<sk8u7h$t37$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4836&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4836

From: bdpor...@ytc1-removespam.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:45:19 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:45 UTC

On 14/10/2021 08:27, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> El Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:11:40 +0000, wessie escribió:
>
>> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Our family are coming here (Spain) to stay in 2 weeks. They're getting
>>> in a right state over govt requirements (Covid).
>>>
>>> I know there are a few well travelled people here, so does anyone here
>>> know how to find out what's what?
>>>
>>> The adults are double jabbed, so no problem. The little one is too
>>> young to need to do anything, but the boy is 11 and needs to get a test
>>> done within 72 hours before flying (we think). But what kind of test?
>>> Would a self-test suffice? He's had the one jab that Boris decided to
>>> give to sprogs, but obviously doesn't have time for a second.
>>>
>>> The daughter is pulling her hair out over this, so any advice would be
>>> truly welcome.
>>>
>>> Amen.
>>>

>> Seems your daughter is misreading the advice. At 11 years there is no
>> requirement for tests or vaccinations to leave the UK or enter Spain.
>>
>> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-
> requirements#vaccination
>> is what the airline will want to enforce before boarding so they do not
>> have to carry people back to the the point of departure.
>>
>> At 11 years, the lad does not need a vaccination but needs the Health
>> Control Form like all other travellers.
>>
>> I have looked at Easyjet's website and the same information is given
>> i.e. only applies to those who are over 12.
>
> Silly me. The problem is he just turned 12.
>
> She's going to the chemist today to see if they can sort it. They all
> want their pound of flesh (c. GBP80).

I've paid more (much more) for jabs, I fail to see why people have an
issue for paying for stuff.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
https://the-ytc1-shed.blogspot.com/ Deprected(http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/)
There *is* an alternative! https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<40f76aa0-78ea-44eb-acb7-f0ad52e6eb68n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4837&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4837

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 02:51:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: benbla...@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:51 UTC

On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 5:38:45 AM UTC-4, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> El Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:48:22 -0700, Ben Blaney escribió:
>
> > Strong advice is to go direct to the source. You can't rely on the
> > British government to maintain correct information about entering Spain..
> > Better: get information from the Spanish embassy in London (because
> > it'll be in English).
> Heh. I wouldn't trust a Spanish government translation. They use Google.
> And I am a translator.

So read it in Spanish.

> The daughter is going to ask at the chemist. The big chains all claim to
> be up to date.

I think this is a bad idea. They could well be wrong. By definition, the Spanish government can't be wrong. The Spanish government are the arbiter of who can enter Spain. I'd go to the source.

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<pan$dd94a$fd30c157$60f9ebf5$e5114452@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4838&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4838

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Oct 2021 10:04:37 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:04 UTC

El Thu, 14 Oct 2021 02:51:49 -0700, Ben Blaney escribió:

> On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 5:38:45 AM UTC-4, Paul Carmichael
> wrote:
>> El Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:48:22 -0700, Ben Blaney escribió:
>>
>> > Strong advice is to go direct to the source. You can't rely on the
>> > British government to maintain correct information about entering
>> > Spain.
>> > Better: get information from the Spanish embassy in London (because
>> > it'll be in English).
>> Heh. I wouldn't trust a Spanish government translation. They use
>> Google.
>> And I am a translator.
>
> So read it in Spanish.
>
>> The daughter is going to ask at the chemist. The big chains all claim
>> to be up to date.
>
> I think this is a bad idea. They could well be wrong. By definition,
> the Spanish government can't be wrong. The Spanish government are the
> arbiter of who can enter Spain. I'd go to the source.

Done that. But as I say, it might change next week.

I think what she's worried about is if the chemist says she'll get the
results in the post which, in a 72 hr window, is a tad risky. We have
been told by various people that they will only post the results, which
sounds barmy to me.

We should know today. Looking forward to seeing them. It's been a while.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<XnsADC375AD6DB3Awtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4840&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4840

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:34:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:34 UTC

Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in news:pan$56548$e6223c92
$357db133$328969be@gmail.com:

> El Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:11:40 +0000, wessie escribió:
>
>> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in
>> I have looked at Easyjet's website and the same information is given
>> i.e. only applies to those who are over 12.
>
> Silly me. The problem is he just turned 12.

the inconsiderate little bastard!

> She's going to the chemist today to see if they can sort it. They all
> want their pound of flesh (c. GBP80).

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<cs0gmg9q3hb3eal6p4ll9p4ite0b48advf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4841&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4841

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:34:32 +0200
 by: Ace - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:34 UTC

On 14 Oct 2021 09:38:44 GMT, Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Just found this:
>
>http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/EDIMBURGO/es/COVID19-UK/Documents/
>Requisitos%20entrada%20en%20Espa%c3%b1a.pdf
>
>Holidaying from the UK from 12 y/o PCR, LAMP or TMA.
>
>NO se admite test
>de antígenos.
>
>I presume that's the self test that's not allowed.

Self-tests are indeed antigen tests (which directly detect protein
particles from the virus cells) but not exclusively, i.e. all self
tests are antigen, but not all non-self-tests are PCR (which detects
the same proteins but at much lower levels, as the sample is
"Amplified" by the testing process).

So you need to ensure that it's a PCR test even if it's at a chemist,
and be aware that while some places may offer oral/throat swab tests
which are less intrusive these may not be accepted everywhere, so
check if the requirements state that they need the nasopharyngeal
test.

>Looks like the chemist option will win.

Yes. AFAICT self-administered tests are not accepted for travel
anywhere. Quite apart from their lower sensitivity it's impossible to
verify that the test was correctly taken on the specified individual.

>So yes, I could have spent some time searching instead of asking a simple
>question here. But the truth is, I don't trust what I've read because
>I've heard of people being turned away from flights after strictly
>following gov instructions.

Or at least following what they thought said instructions were. As I
said earlier, the check-in staff directly refer to destination
countries' requirements, so the only way they could differ from what
had been read by the traveller is if the requirements had been changed
since they read them. In my experience this doesn't happen on a
day-to-day basis, i.e. any changes will be published several days
before they come into force, so there should be time to adhere to the
latest requirements.

I suspect cases of folks being turned away from check-in are where
they had read the instructions some time in advance and not checked
again before travelling.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<pan$12dfb$f21530d7$a30d8651$39daf2ea@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4843&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4843

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Oct 2021 10:40:21 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:40 UTC

El Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:34:05 +0000, wessie escribió:

> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:pan$56548$e6223c92 $357db133$328969be@gmail.com:

>> Silly me. The problem is he just turned 12.
>>

> the inconsiderate little bastard!

Heh. Seems like yesterday she announced the pregnancy. And he now has a
little sister.

Might live to be a GGF at this rate. Shouldn't tempt fate...

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<pan$95f4$72823589$b6e67804$3c054929@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4844&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4844

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Oct 2021 10:47:38 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:47 UTC

El Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:45:19 +0100, YTC#1 escribió:

> On 14/10/2021 08:27, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>> El Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:11:40 +0000, wessie escribió:

>> She's going to the chemist today to see if they can sort it. They all
>> want their pound of flesh (c. GBP80).
>>

> I've paid more (much more) for jabs, I fail to see why people have an
> issue for paying for stuff.

Perhaps somebody here (maybe with a name similar to yours) could tell us
whether or not GBP80 is profiteering.

Hell, it's only a test :-) Prolly costs a fiver to do.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: OT: Travel requirements for leaving the UK

<xn0n44h85bjj4n001@www.rosbif.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4846&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#4846

From: me...@privacy.net (Cab)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:01:40 +0000
 by: Cab - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:01 UTC

YTC#1 wibbled:

> > She's going to the chemist today to see if they can sort it. They
> > all want their pound of flesh (c. GBP80).
> >

> I've paid more (much more) for jabs, I fail to see why people have an
> issue for paying for stuff.

Don't you have a free health service?

Even in France, up until the beginning of Oct, PCR tests, etc, were
free. Now they're reimbursed when you get a prescription only.