Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -- Jim Horning

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Near Miss of the Day 677: “My closest call yet,” says cyclist who slammed on brakes as motorist drove across his pat

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 677: “My closest call yet,”swldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 677: “My closest call yetswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 677: “My closest calTMS320

1
Near Miss of the Day 677: “My closest call yet,” says cyclist who slammed on brakes as motorist drove across his pat

<d95946db-9dd7-4e6b-9291-62fbe270a90dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4811&group=uk.rec.cycling#4811

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:19:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Near_Miss_of_the_Day_677:_“My_closest_call_yet,”
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:19 UTC

Had a few off these idiots in my time.

A cyclist who had to slam on his brakes when a motorist drove across his path has described the incident as “my closest call yet.”

The incident in Buckinghamshire happened as the motorist, apparently recently qualified, drove across a main road from one side street into another, with a driver to her right having stopped to let her through.

Lyndon, the road.cc reader who sent in this clip, said: “I think this was my closest call yet. I was headed home from work today, about 3.30pm after some light rain.

“I freewheeled heading up to the pedestrian crossing at about 30kph after coming down the long descent into Marlow.

“I had two lights, one flashing and one steady high beam for off road riding, as well as a bright top on.

“What I imagined happened was the driver looked to her right, then her left, and did not check again before driving across the road.

“I managed to skid to a stop on the greasy road, turning my front wheel to avoid hitting the car.

“She looked quite shaken, looked quickly at me then drove off.”

The motorist was also displaying a green probationary P-plate on the rear of her vehicle, which drivers in Great Britain can display to show that they have recently passed her driving test.

Unlike restricted ‘R’ plates in Northern Ireland, which must be used for a year after a driver has passed their test, there is no requirement in the rest of the UK for ‘P’ plates to be used, and if they choose to do so, they can keep them on for as long as they wish.

Lyndon said: “When I saw the ‘P’ on the back of her car I figured no need to report this one, as I hope she got enough of a fright and will look more carefully in the future.”

He added: “For anyone who’s curious, Schwalbe One Addix 28mm tubeless tyres, 52psi.”

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-677-my-closest-call-yet-288659

Re: Near Miss of the Day 677: “My closest call yet,” says cyclist who slammed on brakes as motorist drove across his pat

<5561f565-e08a-4b86-a82e-fc4e84468171n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4812&group=uk.rec.cycling#4812

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:20:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Near_Miss_of_the_Day_677:_“My_closest_call_yet
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:20 UTC

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 5:19:03 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

EXACTLY WHY YOU ALWAYS IGNORE OTHER PEOPLE FLASHING YOU TO PULL OUT!

> https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-677-my-closest-call-yet-288659

Re: Near Miss of the Day 677: “My closest call yet,” says cyclist who slammed on brakes as motorist drove across his pat

<spcl3g$s22$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4819&group=uk.rec.cycling#4819

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Near_Miss_of_the_Day_677:_“My_closest_cal
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 11:55:27 +0000
 by: TMS320 - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 11:55 UTC

On 14/12/2021 17:19, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Had a few off these idiots in my time.
>
> A cyclist who had to slam on his brakes when a motorist drove across
> his path has described the incident as “my closest call yet.”
>
> The incident in Buckinghamshire happened as the motorist, apparently
> recently qualified, drove across a main road from one side street
> into another, with a driver to her right having stopped to let her
> through.

The cyclist clearly recognised the developing situation.

This is what I mean about the distinction between decisions and skill.
Any driver could have thought it clear to go but this inexperienced
driver, on realising the error, didn't keep moving to clear the junction
but just stopped to cause a complete blockage.