Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
From: ngspamme...@yahoo.co.uk (TWP)
Subject: Finland prepares for gas supply to be cut off
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 14:39:25 +0100
 by: TWP - Fri, 13 May 2022 13:39 UTC

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/finland-nato-join-russian-gas-exports-cut-sweden-ukraine-war-b999801.html

Finland braces for Russian gas supply cut off after pledge to join Nato

The Kremlin has warned it will take ‘militatry steps’ against Sweden and
Finland if they join the security alliance

Finland is preparing for Russia to its gas supplies amid its proposal to
join Nato, local media reports have stated.

The Kremlin threatened Finland on Thursday, after the country took the
landmark decision to apply to join Nato, saying the “Russian Federation
will be forced to take certain military steps”.

It is feared Russian gas exports could be halted as soon as Friday,
according to local media outlet, Iltalehti.

“The expansion of Nato and the approach of the alliance to our borders
do not make the world and our continent more stable and secure,” Dmitry
Peskov, the Kremlin spokesman, said.

“Everything will depend on how this process takes place, how far the
military infrastructure moves towards our borders.”

=====================

It just shows it's not just anti-Russian / pro-NATO prejudice, countries
with something to lose by acting are deciding that they stand to lose
more if they trust Russia and don't act.

Re: Finland prepares for gas supply to be cut off

<20220513175945.00000f37@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4841&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#4841

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Finland prepares for gas supply to be cut off
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 17:59:45 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Fri, 13 May 2022 16:59 UTC

On Fri, 13 May 2022 14:39:25 +0100
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Finland is preparing for Russia to its gas supplies amid its proposal
> to join Nato

Joining NATO means having to cut themselves off from Russian gas so it doesn't much matter either way, except the pain of membership is going to come sooner than expected, hit their economy harder.

> It just shows it's not just anti-Russian / pro-NATO prejudice,
> countries with something to lose by acting are deciding that they
> stand to lose more if they trust Russia and don't act.

But do they have more to gain than lose ?

I assume they consider the promise of Mutually Assured Destruction to be enough to stave off any Russian invasion or war upon them. Have decided that damaging their economy and permanently living under fear of nuclear Armageddon is something they just have to get used to as we and the rest of NATO have.

But the big question is would NATO rush to their aid and risk bringing about that Armageddon if they were attacked by Russia ?

It's a big gamble they are taking that NATO would.

Despite Turkey frequently asserting Article 5 to try and drag NATO into her personal disputes, it's only ever been invoked once, after 9-11, and that showed the weakness of the "assistance" Article 5 calls for.

In fact Article 5 is as weak as it is because America, quite sensibly, didn't want to get dragged into a fight she didn't support when NATO was founded. None of its members do. NATO has always had "we are not obliged to prevent your country from losing a war" as an option.

So, ultimately, Sweden and Finland will have increased hostility towards Russia, increased the risk of war, of being nuked into oblivion, will have damaged their economy, and will have to live with all that forever, on a promise of NATO assistance which may actually amount to nothing much.

Looked at that way, NATO membership isn't worth the paper its written on.