University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small. -- C. P. Snow

aus+uk / aus.cars / Diesel tractor....

SubjectAuthor
* Diesel tractor....lindsay
+* Re: Diesel tractor....Noddy
|`* Re: Diesel tractor....lindsay
| +* Re: Diesel tractor....Noddy
| |`- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
| `* Re: Diesel tractor....John_H
|  +- Re: Diesel tractor....jonz
|  `* Re: Diesel tractor....lindsay
|   +* Re: Diesel tractor....Noddy
|   |`* Re: Diesel tractor....lindsay
|   | `* Re: Diesel tractor....Noddy
|   |  `- Re: Diesel tractor....Daryl
|   `* Re: Diesel tractor....John_H
|    `- Re: Diesel tractor....lindsay
+* Re: Diesel tractor....Daryl
|`* Re: Diesel tractor....lindsay
| +- Re: Diesel tractor....Daryl
| `- Re: Diesel tractor....Daryl
+* Re: Diesel tractor....John_H
|+* Re: Diesel tractor....jonz
||+* Re: Diesel tractor....Daryl
|||`* Re: Diesel tractor....jonz
||| `* Re: Diesel tractor....DBR
|||  +* Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||  |+* Re: Diesel tractor....lindsay
|||  ||`- Re: Diesel tractor....Noddy
|||  |`* Re: Diesel tractor....DBR
|||  | +- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||  | `- Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||  `* Re: Diesel tractor....lindsay
|||   +- Re: Diesel tractor....DBR
|||   `* Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||    +* Re: Diesel tractor....jonz
|||    |`* Re: Diesel tractor....Noddy
|||    | +* Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||    | |`* Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||    | | `* Re: Diesel tractor....Max
|||    | |  +* Re: Diesel tractor....Noddy
|||    | |  |+- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||    | |  |+- Re: Diesel tractor....alvey
|||    | |  |`- Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||    | |  +* Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||    | |  |`- Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||    | |  +* Re: Diesel tractor....Daryl
|||    | |  |`- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||    | |  `* Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||    | |   `* Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||    | |    `- Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||    | +- Re: Diesel tractor....alvey
|||    | `* Re: Diesel tractor....Max
|||    |  +- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||    |  +* Re: Diesel tractor....Daryl
|||    |  |`- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||    |  `* Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||    |   `- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||    `* Re: Diesel tractor....DBR
|||     +* Re: Diesel tractor....Noddy
|||     |`* Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||     | `- Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||     +- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||     `* Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||      +- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||      `* Re: Diesel tractor....keithr0
|||       `* Re: Diesel tractor....Noddy
|||        +- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
|||        +* Re: Diesel tractor....alvey
|||        |`* Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
|||        | `- Re: Diesel tractor....alvey
|||        `- Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
||+* Re: Diesel tractor....John_H
|||+- Re: Diesel tractor....Daryl
|||`- Re: Diesel tractor....jonz
||`* Re: Diesel tractor....lindsay
|| `* Re: Diesel tractor....jonz
||  `- Re: Diesel tractor....Yosemite Sam
|`- Re: Diesel tractor....lindsay
`* Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
 +- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno
 `* Re: Diesel tractor....lindsay
  `* Re: Diesel tractor....Clocky
   `- Re: Diesel tractor....Xeno

Pages:1234
Diesel tractor....

<LYkZI.72196$Kv2.3906@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4837&group=aus.cars#4837

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Subject: Diesel tractor....
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 19:13:13 +1000
 by: lindsay - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 09:13 UTC

All,

I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last legs....
pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load. Take it on a
drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to drive the slasher,
and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm going. :-)

I've had a good run from it, paid $8k delivered 11 years ago, and it's
done a fair bit of work. :-) Maybe time to put it aside and let it run
the hydraulic wood splitter (what???) , and look elsewhere...

Wanting something with a front end loader this time. Anyone know much
about something like this?*

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/547842973021697/?ref=saved&referral_code=null
33hp may be a bit light to run my slasher, which is made from 6mm plate
and a 50hp gearbox. :-)

Then this popped up...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/536495311015293/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

This one is 38hp with a matched (apparently) Kubota FEL, and would be a
bit cheaper to transport to my joint as it's on ths side of Port Phillip
Bay... 2013 nodel, 675 hours. I look at this and think it's ideal. I
currently use my tractor maybe 60-80 hours per year max. I cant justify
buying new... was quoted $45k+ for a new 50hp Kubota with FEL.(depending
on spec!) in Bairnsdale. (40 k away)

Kubota apparently are popular for those with small acreage, (not in the
same ball park as John Deere obviously) and I'll not be using it
everyday to till fields ect. Dragging logs, and slashing will be it's
life...

Anyone with any *real* knowledge have anything to offer?

*that counts you out, shit-fer-brains.....

Re: Diesel tractor....

<sh4r60$qng$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4849&group=aus.cars#4849

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Diesel tractor....
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:39:57 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 10:39 UTC

On 6/09/2021 7:13 pm, lindsay wrote:

> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/536495311015293/?ref=saved&referral_code=null
>

> This one is 38hp with a matched (apparently) Kubota FEL, and would be a
> bit cheaper to transport to my joint as it's on ths side of Port Phillip
> Bay...  2013 nodel, 675 hours. I look at this and think it's ideal. I
> currently use my tractor maybe 60-80 hours per year max. I cant justify
> buying new... was quoted $45k+ for a new 50hp Kubota with FEL.(depending
> on spec!) in Bairnsdale. (40 k away)
>
> Kubota apparently are popular for those with small acreage, (not in the
> same ball park as John Deere obviously) and I'll not be using it
> everyday to till fields ect. Dragging logs, and slashing will be it's
> life...
>
> Anyone with any *real* knowledge have anything to offer?

No experience with Kubota tractors specifically, but worked on many of
their engines in things like Forklifts and transport equipment and
they're pretty bulletproof. Bobcat used them for years in their
skidsteer range and they cop an absolute flogging in that role. They're
known for making quality gear and I certainly wouldn't have any
hesitation in buying one.

A hydrostatic trans is a real bonus, 4 in one bucket is a must have,
power steering on anything with a bucket is also a must have, and the
self leveling bucket mechanism is a real plus. It certainly looks the
shit, and is very low hours.

> *that counts you out, shit-fer-brains.....

Not just tractors either :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Diesel tractor....

<ipmhorF398mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4855&group=aus.cars#4855

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 23:01:12 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 13:01 UTC

On 6/9/21 7:13 pm, lindsay wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last legs....
> pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load. Take it on a
> drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to drive the slasher,
> and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm going. :-)

White smoke sounds like unburnt fuel, is it running on all cylinders?
Might be a crook injector or even water in the fuel.
If the rest of its OK but its just blowing white smoke it might be worth
just getting it fixed.
How often do you change the fuel filter or get it serviced?

--
Daryl

Re: Diesel tractor....

<k05djgp6s1k77qnuvod42u5b8cb3ltc492@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4871&group=aus.cars#4871

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 08:34:56 +1000
 by: John_H - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 22:34 UTC

lindsay wrote:

>I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last legs....
>pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load. Take it on a
>drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to drive the slasher,
>and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm going. :-)

As Daryl has said white smoke is unburnt fuel so it may be a fuel
problem rather than a worn out engine. If the compressions sound even
when it cranks over it might be worthwhile having a diesel mechanic
take a look before you write it off.

>I've had a good run from it, paid $8k delivered 11 years ago, and it's
>done a fair bit of work. :-) Maybe time to put it aside and let it run
>the hydraulic wood splitter (what???) , and look elsewhere...
>
>Wanting something with a front end loader this time. Anyone know much
>about something like this?*
>
>https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/547842973021697/?ref=saved&referral_code=null
>33hp may be a bit light to run my slasher, which is made from 6mm plate
>and a 50hp gearbox. :-)

I'd expect 33hp to handle a 6' slasher unless your conditions are
extremely tough... in which case you'd probably have stuffed the
gearbox long before now. :)
FWIW it's torque that determines gearbox capacity, not hp (which
doesn't stop manufacturers quoting the latter). Further to which
torque (as the gearbox sees it) is determined by the PTO speed... ie a
540 rpm PTO exerts almost double the torque as a 1000rpm PTO.

>Then this popped up...
>
>https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/536495311015293/?ref=saved&referral_code=null
>
>This one is 38hp with a matched (apparently) Kubota FEL, and would be a
>bit cheaper to transport to my joint as it's on ths side of Port Phillip
>Bay... 2013 nodel, 675 hours. I look at this and think it's ideal. I
>currently use my tractor maybe 60-80 hours per year max. I cant justify
>buying new... was quoted $45k+ for a new 50hp Kubota with FEL.(depending
>on spec!) in Bairnsdale. (40 k away)
>
>Kubota apparently are popular for those with small acreage, (not in the
>same ball park as John Deere obviously) and I'll not be using it
>everyday to till fields ect. Dragging logs, and slashing will be it's
>life...

I'd take a Kubota in preference to a JD every time (personal bias)
although Kubota have a reputation of being extremely expensive to fix
if things happen to go wrong (as do JD). That said you wouldn't
expect any major problems at 675 hours but make sure the PTO speed
matches your slasher.

Dunno about prices except that tractors and farm machinery generally
are curently selling like hotcakes, partly down to good seasonal
conditions as well as a shortage of new stuff caused by the Chinese
virus.

--
John H

Re: Diesel tractor....

<sh6ugq$pk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4892&group=aus.cars#4892

From: jon...@nothere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 15:49:11 +1000
 by: jonz - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 05:49 UTC

On 9/7/2021 8:34 AM, John_H wrote:
> lindsay wrote:
>> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last legs....
>> pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load. Take it on a
>> drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to drive the slasher,
>> and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm going. :-)
> As Daryl has said white smoke is unburnt fuel so it may be a fuel
> problem rather than a worn out engine. If the compressions sound even
> when it cranks over it might be worthwhile having a diesel mechanic
> take a look before you write it off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Or coolant, are you using any??.

--
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea. Massive,
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." — Gene

Re: Diesel tractor....

<ipoficFej1mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4898&group=aus.cars#4898

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 16:35:56 +1000
 by: Daryl - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 06:35 UTC

On 7/9/21 3:49 pm, jonz wrote:
> On 9/7/2021 8:34 AM, John_H wrote:
>> lindsay wrote:
>>> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>>> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last legs....
>>> pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load. Take it on a
>>> drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to drive the slasher,
>>> and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm going. :-)
>> As Daryl has said white smoke is unburnt fuel so it may be a fuel
>> problem rather than a worn out engine.  If the compressions sound even
>> when it cranks over it might be worthwhile having a diesel mechanic
>> take a look before you write it off.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  Or coolant

Yes good point, head gasket maybe.
Still worth getting it checked over.

--
Daryl

Re: Diesel tractor....

<sh7hrg$kbq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4917&group=aus.cars#4917

From: jon...@nothere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 21:19:08 +1000
 by: jonz - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 11:19 UTC

On 9/7/2021 4:35 PM, Daryl wrote:
> On 7/9/21 3:49 pm, jonz wrote:
>>> As Daryl has said white smoke is unburnt fuel so it may be a fuel
>>> problem rather than a worn out engine.  If the compressions sound even
>>> when it cranks over it might be worthwhile having a diesel mechanic
>>> take a look before you write it off.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>   Or coolant
>
> Yes good point, head gasket maybe.
> Still worth getting it checked over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, for sure!.

--
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea. Massive,
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." — Gene
Spafford, 1992

Re: Diesel tractor....

<oqkfjg9gguq2qt8m2q7bjpgg9li5cmbs6v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4940&group=aus.cars#4940

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 07:03:31 +1000
 by: John_H - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 21:03 UTC

jonz wrote:
>On 9/7/2021 8:34 AM, John_H wrote:
>> lindsay wrote:
>>> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>>> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last legs....
>>> pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load. Take it on a
>>> drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to drive the slasher,
>>> and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm going. :-)
>> As Daryl has said white smoke is unburnt fuel so it may be a fuel
>> problem rather than a worn out engine. If the compressions sound even
>> when it cranks over it might be worthwhile having a diesel mechanic
>> take a look before you write it off.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  Or coolant, are you using any??.

It's a Deutz!!!

--
John H

Re: Diesel tractor....

<ipqdtqFq6kvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4958&group=aus.cars#4958

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 10:20:10 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 00:20 UTC

On 8/9/21 7:03 am, John_H wrote:
> jonz wrote:
>>> As Daryl has said white smoke is unburnt fuel so it may be a fuel
>>> problem rather than a worn out engine. If the compressions sound even
>>> when it cranks over it might be worthwhile having a diesel mechanic
>>> take a look before you write it off.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>  Or coolant, are you using any??.
>
> It's a Deutz!!!

DOH, of course:-)

--
Daryl

Re: Diesel tractor....

<sh93mf$215$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4968&group=aus.cars#4968

From: jon...@nothere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 11:29:48 +1000
 by: jonz - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 01:29 UTC

On 9/8/2021 7:03 AM, John_H wrote:
> jonz wrote:
>>> As Daryl has said white smoke is unburnt fuel so it may be a fuel
>>> problem rather than a worn out engine. If the compressions sound even
>>> when it cranks over it might be worthwhile having a diesel mechanic
>>> take a look before you write it off.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>  Or coolant, are you using any??.
> It's a Deutz!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Heh, that wee fact went right on by....:):):)

--
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea. Massive,
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." — Gene
Spafford, 1992

Re: Diesel tractor....

<16a2ccc8a1116b98$1$1682696$c4d58e68@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4997&group=aus.cars#4997

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: dro...@nowhere (DBR)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:22:57 +0930
 by: DBR - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 08:52 UTC

On 7/09/2021 8:49 PM, jonz wrote:
> On 9/7/2021 4:35 PM, Daryl wrote:
>>>
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>>   Or coolant
>>
>> Yes good point, head gasket maybe.
>> Still worth getting it checked over.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Yes, for sure!.

White smoke on that would be most likely be fuel pump or fuel timing
related.

Just for a quick check if you do not know how to spill time the pump
just mark it's location, Turn it 1 way 3mm or so on it's mount bolts
(Slotted holes on the pump mount) tighten the bolts and see how it idles.

If it improves all good, If it is worse try the other way. Do not try to
do it running as the pump will move to the end of the slots (Bit more
torque involved than an old school disy on a car)

It is a Bosh in line pump as I remember and at idle you will not
damage anything doing this.

I would have it spill timed by someone that knows how if this improves
it and if it dose not help just line up the pump to the mark you made
before playing with it.

Long time ago but I spent about 6 months in an engine bay for Tutt's
when they were the sole importer of the in industrial Deutz engines so I
have played with several you could say. In fact we ran the rebuilds in
on a dyno, Set fuel pump to give rated HP at the end of running in and
then did an exhaust gas test on them before shipping back to the customer.

Re: Diesel tractor....

<iprd7fF1b7pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5001&group=aus.cars#5001

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 19:14:20 +1000
 by: Xeno - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 09:14 UTC

On 8/9/21 6:52 pm, DBR wrote:
> On 7/09/2021 8:49 PM, jonz wrote:

>>> Yes good point, head gasket maybe.
>>> Still worth getting it checked over.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Yes, for sure!.
>>

> White smoke on that would be most likely be fuel pump or fuel timing
> related.
>
>  Just for a quick check if you do not know how to spill time the pump
> just mark it's location, Turn it 1 way 3mm or so on it's mount bolts
> (Slotted holes on the pump mount) tighten the bolts and see how it idles.
>
> If it improves all good, If it is worse try the other way. Do not try to
> do it running as the pump will move to the end of the slots (Bit more
> torque involved than an old school disy on a car)
>
>  It is a Bosh in line pump as I remember and at idle you will not
> damage anything doing this.
>
>  I would have it spill timed by someone that knows how if this improves
> it and if it dose not help just line up the pump to the mark you made
> before playing with it.
>
>  Long time ago but I spent about 6 months in an engine bay for Tutt's
> when they were the sole importer of the in industrial Deutz engines so I
> have played with several you could say. In fact we ran the rebuilds in
> on a dyno, Set fuel pump to give rated HP at the end of running in and
> then did an exhaust gas test on them before shipping back to the customer.

Did you ever do much with the V12 Deutz engines? They are the only Deutz
engines I've ever worked on and it was back in the 70s.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Diesel tractor....

<Tjk_I.40985$jm6.16523@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5058&group=aus.cars#5058

From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 19:18:40 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 09:18 UTC

On 6/09/2021 8:39 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/09/2021 7:13 pm, lindsay wrote:

>> Anyone with any *real* knowledge have anything to offer?
>
> No experience with Kubota tractors specifically, but worked on many of
> their engines in things like Forklifts and transport equipment and
> they're pretty bulletproof. Bobcat used them for years in their
> skidsteer range and they cop an absolute flogging in that role. They're
> known for making quality gear and I certainly wouldn't have any
> hesitation in buying one.
>
> A hydrostatic trans is a real bonus, 4 in one bucket is a must have,
> power steering on anything with a bucket is also a must have, and the
> self leveling bucket mechanism is a real plus. It certainly looks the
> shit, and is very low hours.
>
>> *that counts you out, shit-fer-brains.....
>
> Not just tractors either :)

He's a zero-turn mower, without the blades. Makes all the noise, but is
fucking useless....

I've fallen in love with the idea of a front end loader.. I'm thinking
of the payback with the fucking wombats... :-) My Fathers Day pressie
may help out with that...
https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-javelot-turbo-kit-black-1300m-hunting-torch.html
Insane...

But really, so much more available to me with a 4-in-1 bucket. I have
about 30-35 acres that needs to be kept clean. If i leave it another
spring/summer, i'll *need* to pay someone to clear it. Dont think i'm
prepared to pay someone again... a FEL with a 4 in 1 bucket would be
awesome and do the job. Whats not slashed will be fodder for the bucket,
pick it up and dump it all on a pile to burn in Autumn. I hate manuka.

Nearly as much as useless cunts like pollies. or tommy. Except I'm
allowed to kill manuka.

Re: Diesel tractor....

<xyk_I.9546$nh7.8751@fx22.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5059&group=aus.cars#5059

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 19:34:19 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 09:34 UTC

On 6/09/2021 11:01 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 6/9/21 7:13 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last
>> legs.... pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load.
>> Take it on a drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to
>> drive the slasher, and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm
>> going. :-)
>
> White smoke sounds like unburnt fuel, is it running on all cylinders?
> Might be a crook injector or even water in the fuel.
> If the rest of its OK but its just blowing white smoke it might be worth
> just getting it fixed.
> How often do you change the fuel filter or get it serviced?

Rarely. :-) I think it's now a bit of a dunger..... still, it's done
whats required... If i get the Kubota from Mornington I mentioned, it'll
get an on-site service every two years / 100 hours. The Deutz is 50
years old, and I'm not comfortable with spending possibly thousands of
$$$ on it now, when a 7 yo Kubota with a FEL is available.

Like everyoune, I'm getting older, and looking at something that will
make whats left of my life easier. Love the idea that maybe rather than
slash a 6 foot tall manuka plant, I can shear / cut it off at the base,
pick it and the root ball up, and dump it on a pile for burning... Love
burning manuka. :-D

Last time we had a good go at it, we had a wild dog bail out of one side
of a pile, whilst the other side was lit with a gas torch. It wouldnt
stop for love or money, as i pulled my rifle out from the back seat.
Wouldnt prop for a whistle, a yell, nothing.. It came out and went full
steam for the scrub....didnt even turn its head.

The things ya see when your not looking..... ;-)

Re: Diesel tractor....

<shckpb$gm2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5062&group=aus.cars#5062

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 19:39:52 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 09:39 UTC

On 9/09/2021 7:18 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 6/09/2021 8:39 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> A hydrostatic trans is a real bonus, 4 in one bucket is a must have,
>> power steering on anything with a bucket is also a must have, and the
>> self leveling bucket mechanism is a real plus. It certainly looks the
>> shit, and is very low hours.
>>
>>> *that counts you out, shit-fer-brains.....
>>
>> Not just tractors either :)
>
> He's a zero-turn mower, without the blades. Makes all the noise, but is
> fucking useless....

Yep. The cunt of a thing is an attention seeking noisemaker. Thankfully
most people seem to ignore him now.

> I've fallen in love with the idea of a front end loader.. I'm thinking
> of the payback with the fucking wombats... :-) My Fathers Day pressie
> may help out with that...
> https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-javelot-turbo-kit-black-1300m-hunting-torch.html
>  Insane...

Fucking hell. That's a serious torch.

> But really, so much more available to me with a 4-in-1 bucket. I have
> about 30-35 acres that needs to be kept clean. If i leave it another
> spring/summer, i'll *need* to pay someone to clear it. Dont think i'm
> prepared to pay someone again... a FEL with a 4 in 1 bucket would be
> awesome and do the job. Whats not slashed will be fodder for the bucket,
> pick it up and dump it all on a pile to burn in Autumn. I hate manuka.

You won't regret it. There is just *so* much stuff you can do. Best
thing I ever bought, and I wouldn't be without it. Glad I off-loaded the
bobcat and bought the tractor instead.

> Nearly as much as useless cunts like pollies. or tommy. Except I'm
> allowed to kill manuka.

Clasener's as good as fucked anyway. He's a sneeze away from dropping
dead. Couldn't happen to a more deserving cunt.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Diesel tractor....

<shcl1g$gle$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5065&group=aus.cars#5065

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:44:16 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 09:44 UTC

On 6/09/2021 5:13 pm, lindsay wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last legs....
> pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load. Take it on a
> drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to drive the slasher,
> and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm going. :-)

White smoke when warm, likely a head gasket. Is it losing coolant?

Re: Diesel tractor....

<5Yk_I.20802$6u6.20152@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5070&group=aus.cars#5070

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:01:34 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:01 UTC

On 7/09/2021 8:34 am, John_H wrote:
> lindsay wrote:
>>
>> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last legs....
>> pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load. Take it on a
>> drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to drive the slasher,
>> and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm going. :-)
>
> As Daryl has said white smoke is unburnt fuel so it may be a fuel
> problem rather than a worn out engine. If the compressions sound even
> when it cranks over it might be worthwhile having a diesel mechanic
> take a look before you write it off.
>
>> I've had a good run from it, paid $8k delivered 11 years ago, and it's
>> done a fair bit of work. :-) Maybe time to put it aside and let it run
>> the hydraulic wood splitter (what???) , and look elsewhere...
>>
>> Wanting something with a front end loader this time. Anyone know much
>> about something like this?*
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/547842973021697/?ref=saved&referral_code=null
>> 33hp may be a bit light to run my slasher, which is made from 6mm plate
>> and a 50hp gearbox. :-)
>
> I'd expect 33hp to handle a 6' slasher unless your conditions are
> extremely tough... in which case you'd probably have stuffed the
> gearbox long before now. :)

Burnt the clutch out on the sasher once,, I dont want to do it again...
I want to be able to do it easy once every 12 months or maybe 24 months.
With a decent tractor i'd have no problems, but we have dan Andrews, who
locks up the WHOLE state, even if the nearest covid case is 300k away,
on the other side of the Great Dividing Range.

> FWIW it's torque that determines gearbox capacity, not hp (which
> doesn't stop manufacturers quoting the latter). Further to which
> torque (as the gearbox sees it) is determined by the PTO speed... ie a
> 540 rpm PTO exerts almost double the torque as a 1000rpm PTO.
>
>> Then this popped up...
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/536495311015293/?ref=saved&referral_code=null
>>
>> This one is 38hp with a matched (apparently) Kubota FEL, and would be a
>> bit cheaper to transport to my joint as it's on ths side of Port Phillip
>> Bay... 2013 nodel, 675 hours. I look at this and think it's ideal. I
>> currently use my tractor maybe 60-80 hours per year max. I cant justify
>> buying new... was quoted $45k+ for a new 50hp Kubota with FEL.(depending
>> on spec!) in Bairnsdale. (40 k away)
>>
>> Kubota apparently are popular for those with small acreage, (not in the
>> same ball park as John Deere obviously) and I'll not be using it
>> everyday to till fields ect. Dragging logs, and slashing will be it's
>> life...
>
> I'd take a Kubota in preference to a JD every time (personal bias)
> although Kubota have a reputation of being extremely expensive to fix
> if things happen to go wrong (as do JD). That said you wouldn't
> expect any major problems at 675 hours but make sure the PTO speed
> matches your slasher.

Cool. The current slasher is (afaik) home made by the looks of things.
Its made out of 6mm plate, and has a newish clutch and gearbox.. it does
tear 6 foot maknuka plants to shreads. And this is the prob. Allowing
the manuka to get so high is the prob. I live in Melburg and currently
arent "permitted" to travel into Gippsland. The manuka will be 8 foot
high when i get there, so the slasher wont beat it, unless I replace the
clutch again... With a 4-in-1 bucket? I'll simply drive around the
wombat burrows , and then use the FEL to push over what I cant slash.
It'll be carnage. :-)

> Dunno about prices except that tractors and farm machinery generally
> are curently selling like hotcakes, partly down to good seasonal
> conditions as well as a shortage of new stuff caused by the Chinese
> virus.

Yep. Spoke to a dealer in Bairnsdale, and he said as soon as anything
comes up for sale, it's gone.

Maybe I could call in an airstrike? ;-D RAAF Sale isnt far away :-)

Re: Diesel tractor....

<w%k_I.116649$o45.75512@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5071&group=aus.cars#5071

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:05:14 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:05 UTC

On 7/09/2021 3:49 pm, jonz wrote:
> On 9/7/2021 8:34 AM, John_H wrote:
>> lindsay wrote:
>>> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>>> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last legs....
>>> pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load. Take it on a
>>> drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to drive the slasher,
>>> and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm going. :-)
>> As Daryl has said white smoke is unburnt fuel so it may be a fuel
>> problem rather than a worn out engine.  If the compressions sound even
>> when it cranks over it might be worthwhile having a diesel mechanic
>> take a look before you write it off.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  Or coolant, are you using any??.

Air cooled.... gave it a good pressure clean.. no joy.

Re: Diesel tractor....

<ipu53oFhfu8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5072&group=aus.cars#5072

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:14:12 +1000
 by: Xeno - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:14 UTC

On 9/9/21 7:44 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 6/09/2021 5:13 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last
>> legs.... pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load.
>> Take it on a drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to
>> drive the slasher, and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm
>> going. :-)
>>

> White smoke when warm, likely a head gasket. Is it losing coolant?

Deutz engines, the ones I worked on at least, are air cooled.
I only ever worked on the V12 Deutz engines. These puppies;

https://youtu.be/V8LY-ag1vow

https://youtu.be/Dpts5jQfuN0

Interesting jiggers, they were eventually replaced with Caterpillar
inline water cooled 6 cylinder engines with *more power*. I should have
snaffled one of the units in the scrap yard.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Diesel tractor....

<ipu5fuFhj2sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5073&group=aus.cars#5073

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:20:42 +1000
 by: Xeno - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:20 UTC

On 9/9/21 7:39 pm, Noddy wrote:

> Clasener's as good as fucked anyway. He's a sneeze away from dropping
> dead. Couldn't happen to a more deserving cunt.

Awww Darren, you're just upset because I found the off switch to your
*hero worship*. You know, the one which, when clicked to the off
position, lit up a huge big neon light saying *FRAUD* up on high in
*HUGE* capital letters. Now all you can do is *SULK*.

BTW, I'll be around long after you end up in a wheelchair. It's highly
unlikely for me to have another heart attack given the treatment I'm on
since then. You are already screwed physically and definitely mentally.
Your delusions prove that beyond a shadow of doubt.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Diesel tractor....

<5gl_I.33655$tG6.8586@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5074&group=aus.cars#5074

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:22:55 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:22 UTC

On 8/09/2021 6:52 pm, DBR wrote:

> White smoke on that would be most likely be fuel pump or fuel timing
> related.

A very popular observation....

>  Just for a quick check if you do not know how to spill time the pump
> just mark it's location, Turn it 1 way 3mm or so on it's mount bolts
> (Slotted holes on the pump mount) tighten the bolts and see how it idles.
>
> If it improves all good, If it is worse try the other way. Do not try to
> do it running as the pump will move to the end of the slots (Bit more
> torque involved than an old school disy on a car)
>
>  It is a Bosh in line pump as I remember and at idle you will not
> damage anything doing this.
>
>  I would have it spill timed by someone that knows how if this improves
> it and if it dose not help just line up the pump to the mark you made
> before playing with it.
>
>  Long time ago but I spent about 6 months in an engine bay for Tutt's
> when they were the sole importer of the in industrial Deutz engines so I
> have played with several you could say. In fact we ran the rebuilds in
> on a dyno, Set fuel pump to give rated HP at the end of running in and
> then did an exhaust gas test on them before shipping back to the customer.

Printed this out, to show a mate of mine who is a (genuine) auto
mechanic. He'll know more about it than me,=.... Personally, I'm
thinking the tractor is rooted, but i know bugger all about it, as i'm
not a mechanic. I'm also wondering if it's wourh spending money on...

Cheers...

Re: Diesel tractor....

<ohl_I.33656$tG6.31336@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5076&group=aus.cars#5076

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:24:20 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:24 UTC

On 8/09/2021 7:14 pm, Xeno wrote:

> Did you ever do much with the V12 Deutz engines? They are the only Deutz
> engines I've ever worked on and it was back in the 70s.

Every thread, without fail...

Re: Diesel tractor....

<Svl_I.1296$ol1.289@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5077&group=aus.cars#5077

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:39:46 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:39 UTC

On 9/09/2021 7:44 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 6/09/2021 5:13 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last
>> legs.... pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load.
>> Take it on a drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to
>> drive the slasher, and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm
>> going. :-)
>>

> White smoke when warm, likely a head gasket. Is it losing coolant?

As several others have said... It's a Deutz. It doesnt have coolant.
It's air cooled.

Re: Diesel tractor....

<ipu7bqFhs42U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5078&group=aus.cars#5078

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:52:42 +1000
 by: Daryl - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:52 UTC

On 9/9/21 7:34 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 6/09/2021 11:01 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 6/9/21 7:13 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>>> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last
>>> legs.... pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load.
>>> Take it on a drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to
>>> drive the slasher, and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm
>>> going. :-)
>>
>> White smoke sounds like unburnt fuel, is it running on all cylinders?
>> Might be a crook injector or even water in the fuel.
>> If the rest of its OK but its just blowing white smoke it might be
>> worth just getting it fixed.
>> How often do you change the fuel filter or get it serviced?
>
> Rarely. :-) I think it's now a bit of a dunger..... still, it's done
> whats required... If i get the Kubota from Mornington I mentioned, it'll
> get an on-site service every two years / 100 hours. The Deutz is 50
> years old, and I'm not comfortable with spending possibly thousands of
> $$$ on it now, when a 7 yo Kubota with a FEL is available.

If the Deutz is that old then you are probably right not to spend too
much money on it.

> Like everyoune, I'm getting older, and looking at something that will
> make whats left of my life easier. Love the idea that maybe rather than
> slash a 6 foot tall manuka plant, I can shear / cut it off at the base,
> pick it and the root ball up, and dump it on a pile for burning...  Love
> burning manuka. :-D

Sounds like a plan:-)

--
Daryl

Re: Diesel tractor....

<ipu7spFi0tsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5079&group=aus.cars#5079

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:01:43 +1000
 by: Daryl - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 11:01 UTC

On 9/9/21 7:34 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 6/09/2021 11:01 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 6/9/21 7:13 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I have a Deutz 4wd tractor (around 50HP cant remember the model
>>> number... 5140? prolly 50 yo), and I believe it's on it's last
>>> legs.... pumps out white smoke once it's warmed up and under load.
>>> Take it on a drive, and there's no issue.. put the PTO in gear to
>>> drive the slasher, and 5 mins later, I struggle to see where I'm
>>> going. :-)
>>
>> White smoke sounds like unburnt fuel, is it running on all cylinders?
>> Might be a crook injector or even water in the fuel.
>> If the rest of its OK but its just blowing white smoke it might be
>> worth just getting it fixed.
>> How often do you change the fuel filter or get it serviced?
>
> Rarely. :-) I think it's now a bit of a dunger..... still, it's done
> whats required... If i get the Kubota from Mornington I mentioned, it'll
> get an on-site service every two years / 100 hours.

How do you store your diesel fuel?
If in drums it needs to be off the ground and undercover and not stored
for too long, way back when I used to service tractors etc I spent an
awful lot of time sorting out machines with water contaminated fuel,
draining fuel tanks, replacing filters and bleeding fuel systems etc so
looking after your diesel is critical.

--
Daryl