From: reply-2...@mgn.org.uk (Martin Nicholas)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Subject: Find out where you are on the canals
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 06:25:53 +0100
 by: Martin Nicholas - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 05:25 UTC

From the Ordnance Survey there is the: OS Locate App "Check your
location, even with no mobile signal"
https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-202306@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
June).

Free Usenet posting accounts are available through:
https://www.eternal-september.org/

Re: Find out where you are on the canals

<ke07jqFqgjcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=485&group=uk.rec.waterways#485

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Subject: Re: Find out where you are on the canals
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:15:03 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 07:15 UTC

On 03/06/2023 06:25, Martin Nicholas wrote:
> From the Ordnance Survey there is the: OS Locate App "Check your
> location, even with no mobile signal"
> https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/

Reading the advert, it appears that you will need to carry a paper map
with you as well. All it does is convert your GPS location to an OS grid
reference.

If you install Google Maps, you can download a local "tile" and it will
show your location on that tile, albeit on what is basically a road map
which shows the line of the canal. You need a reasonable mobile signal
to wiew the aerial imagery.
..
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Find out where you are on the canals

<20230603093610.18d8c9d8@dsklinux.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=486&group=uk.rec.waterways#486

From: reply-2...@mgn.org.uk (Martin Nicholas)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 09:36:10 +0100
 by: Martin Nicholas - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:36 UTC

On Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:15:03 +0100
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 03/06/2023 06:25, Martin Nicholas wrote:
> > From the Ordnance Survey there is the: OS Locate App "Check your
> > location, even with no mobile signal"
> > https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/
> >
> Reading the advert, it appears that you will need to carry a paper
> map with you as well. All it does is convert your GPS location to an
> OS grid reference.
>
> If you install Google Maps, you can download a local "tile" and it
> will show your location on that tile, albeit on what is basically a
> road map which shows the line of the canal. You need a reasonable
> mobile signal to wiew the aerial imagery.
> .

Useful info. for the emergency services when needed, I'd say. I prefer
this to W3W.

Post was prompted by an emergency at Autherley Junction some days ago:
https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/118563-awful-incident-a-autherley-junction-today/page/5/

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-202306@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
June).

A slogan-free post for a change.

Re: Find out where you are on the canals

<4gdrkj-tb1e.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=487&group=uk.rec.waterways#487

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 10:24:52 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 09:24 UTC

John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 03/06/2023 06:25, Martin Nicholas wrote:
> > From the Ordnance Survey there is the: OS Locate App "Check your
> > location, even with no mobile signal"
> > https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/
> >
> Reading the advert, it appears that you will need to carry a paper map
> with you as well. All it does is convert your GPS location to an OS grid
> reference.
>
> If you install Google Maps, you can download a local "tile" and it will
> show your location on that tile, albeit on what is basically a road map
> which shows the line of the canal. You need a reasonable mobile signal
> to wiew the aerial imagery.
> .
Other satnav apps do this by default in that all of your maps are
downloaded and stored on the 'phone and thus all you ever need is GPS.
I use Here! Wego for this very reason, it rund without any need for
mobilr data (although it will use data if available for traffic
information and such).

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Find out where you are on the canals

<qi1skj-je9f.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=488&group=uk.rec.waterways#488

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 16:07:38 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 15:07 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > On 03/06/2023 06:25, Martin Nicholas wrote:
> > > From the Ordnance Survey there is the: OS Locate App "Check your
> > > location, even with no mobile signal"
> > > https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/
> > >
> > Reading the advert, it appears that you will need to carry a paper map
> > with you as well. All it does is convert your GPS location to an OS grid
> > reference.
> >
> > If you install Google Maps, you can download a local "tile" and it will
> > show your location on that tile, albeit on what is basically a road map
> > which shows the line of the canal. You need a reasonable mobile signal
> > to wiew the aerial imagery.
> > .
> Other satnav apps do this by default in that all of your maps are
> downloaded and stored on the 'phone and thus all you ever need is GPS.
> I use Here! Wego for this very reason, it rund without any need for
> mobilr data (although it will use data if available for traffic
> information and such).

erk, typos'r'us!

I use Here! Wego for this very reason, it runs without any need for
mobile data (although it will use data if available for traffic
information and such).

--
Chris Green
·