Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 14:22:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Anti-cycling lobby is on the wrong path
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:22 UTC

Peter Walker’s terrific piece (How a myth about London bike lanes and congestion took off, 13 December) reminds us that the anti-cycling lobby, replete with right-leaning columnists, aggrieved drivers and fossil-fuel interests, is perhaps the most bizarre coalition in modern politics. And it’s certainly the most misguided. The most frustrating aspect of this motley crew is that they vigorously defend interests they imagine they have. The reality is that our historical emphasis on cars has encouraged sedentary and isolated lifestyles. Older people defend a status quo that leads to their own isolation and immiseration.

The research is overwhelming: active transport, low-traffic neighbourhoods and green space improve wellbeing. The anti-cycling lobby opposes measures that are not just necessary to meet climate goals, but which can also make the lives of all generations happier and healthier. Those who lament “eco-obsessed” councils are lamenting the possibility that we could encourage sustainability while making people’s lives quantifiably better.
Jude Wilkinson

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/dec/14/anti-cycling-lobby-is-on-the-wrong-path?CMP=fb_cif&fbclid=IwAR3uqcLtIBeVMN_ib4N2OJhjwoa6FN1t-oEqk1xiQZc0UASkcaYM3DLFEpE

Re: Anti-fairy-cycling lobby is on the wrong path

<j21uoqFeck8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4862&group=uk.rec.cycling#4862

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Anti-fairy-cycling lobby is on the wrong path
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 23:00:42 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 23:00 UTC

> Peter Walker’s terrific piece (How a myth about London bike lanes and congestion took off, 13 December) reminds us that the anti-fairy-cycling lobby, replete with right-leaning columnists, aggrieved drivers and fossil-fuel interests, is perhaps the most bizarre coalition in modern politics. And it’s certainly the most misguided. The most frustrating aspect of this motley crew is that they vigorously defend interests they imagine they have. The reality is that our historical emphasis on cars has encouraged sedentary and isolated lifestyles. Older people defend a status quo that leads to their own isolation and immiseration.
>
> The research is overwhelming: active transport, low-traffic neighbourhoods and green space improve wellbeing. The anti-fairy-cycling lobby opposes measures that are not just necessary to meet climate goals, but which can also make the lives of all generations happier and healthier. Those who lament “eco-obsessed” councils are lamenting the possibility that we could encourage sustainability while making people’s lives quantifiably better.
> Jude Wilkinson

That is simply gibberish.

Not even a single attempt at supporting what he claims.

And he keeps spelling "fairy-cycling" wrongly.