Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 09:24:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Cyclists_and_horse_riders_among_those_applauding_the
_Highway_Code_changes_for_2022_—_here's_what_you_need_to_k
now
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 17:24 UTC

AN UPDATED version of the Highway Code is set to go into effect from January 29, establishing a new hierarchy of road users to provide better protection to vulnerable road users such as cyclists, horse riders and pedestrians, and a new set of rules around priority at junctions.
What are the key new Highway Code rules?

While a large number of amendments are being introduced, the three main changes to the Highway Code for 2022 are as follows:
Rule H1: Hierarchy of road users

According to the government, Rule H1, which creates a new hierarchy of road users, “ensures that those road users who can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they may pose to other road users.”

The objective of the hierarchy is not to give priority to pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders in every situation, it insists, but rather “to ensure a more mutually respectful and considerate culture of safe and effective road use that benefits all users.”

“None of this detracts from the responsibility of ALL road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, to have regard for their own and other road users’ safety”

As the most vulnerable road users, pedestrians are therefore the least responsible for looking out for other road users. At the other end of the scale, HGV drivers bear the greatest responsibility, as they are in charge of the largest and arguably most dangerous vehicles on the road.

Of course, the majority of truck drivers are considerate to vulernable road users, as captured in this charming video.

“None of this detracts from the responsibility of ALL road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, to have regard for their own and other road users’ safety,” according to the rule change.
Rule H2: Priority for pedestrians

Under this rule, road users at a junction should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which they are turning..

You should give way, the government says, “to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and pedestrians and cyclists waiting to cross a parallel crossing. The law previously said that pedestrians and cyclists only had right of way when they were on the crossing.

However, as anyone who has passed their driving test in at least the last couple of decade knows, an examiner would take an extremely dim view of any driver who didn’t stop for a pedestrian who was approaching or preparing to use a crossing, so this is a tightening of the wording rather than a major overhaul.
Rule H3: Priority for cyclists and horse riders when cars are turning

Left turn accidents and near-misses with cyclists are all too common when over-eager drivers try to nip ahead before the junction.

For that reason, Rule H3 explicitly states that drivers “should not cut across cyclists, horse riders or horse drawn vehicles going ahead when turning into or out of a junction or changing direction or lane, just as you would not turn across the path of another motor vehicle.”
Ford develops "emoji jacket" for cyclists to wear on the road

This applies regardless of whether cyclists are using a cycle lane, a cycle track, or simply riding straight ahead on a road; in any case, drivers should give way to them.

As the rule says “should” rather than “must”, this isn’t enshrined in law — it’s advisory — but drivers are likely to be stopped by police for breaking the rule and could deem the offence careless or even dangerous driving, for which the maximum punishment is 3-11 penalty points, two years’ imprisonment, an unlimited fine and obligatory disqualification from driving.

Should you cause death by dangerous driving, the punishment may be as high as 14 years’ imprisonment, an unlimited fine and obligatory disqualification for a minimum of two years.
Guidance on passing distances

The wording of rules regarding passing distances has been amended and now includes guidelines for overtaking pedestrians, cyclists and horses. It now advises motorists to:

Leave a minimum distance of 1.5m at speeds under 30mph;
Leave a minimum distance of two metres at speeds over 30mph;
Always leave a distance of at least two metres if driving a large vehicle;
Pass horses and horse-drawn vehicles at speeds under 15mph and at a minimum distance of two metres;
Allow two metres of distance when passing a pedestrian who is walking in the road;
Wait behind the motorcyclist, cyclist, horse rider, horse drawn vehicle or pedestrian and not overtake if it is unsafe or not possible to meet these clearances.

Leaving plenty of space when overtaking should be fairly obvious but the rule changes add much-needed clarity.
How are the Highway Code changes being received?

The rule changes have been greeted warmly by the cycling lobby, which had considerable input during the consultation process.

According to Duncan Dollimore, Cycling UK’s head of campaigns:

“This simple change clarifies the rules at junctions, and is a major step towards embedding a custom that could make a huge difference to cyclist and pedestrian safety.

“It would also give highway designers the confidence to design better cycling and walking infrastructure such as cycle lanes and cycle paths that go across the mouths of side-roads, making them simpler, safer and more efficient for everyone.”

Horse riders are also pleased with the new proposals. The British Horse Society’s director of safety, Alan Hiscox told Horse & Hound:

“I was dancing a little jig when I read them! People ask whether the DfT [Department for Transport] really listens to equestrians or considers us in the same way as cyclists, and I think this absolutely proves they do. I really think this will be a major step for the safety of horses on the roads.”

“Vulnerable road users deserve the highest protection from motorised vehicles but simply changing a book no one reads is unlikely to deliver the impact hoped for”

Not all, however, have greeted the proposals with as much enthusiasm. Neil Greig, the policy director at IAM Roadsmart (formerly known as the Institute of Advanced Motorists) expressed concern that “the new Highway Code will increase conflict on the road rather than reduce it.”

He added: “Informing every road user in the UK about the new rules will be a huge task, particularly when most drivers think they are competent and don’t need to refresh their skills.”

He did, however, stress the need for greater investment in quality cycling infrastructure, saying:

“Vulnerable road users deserve the highest protection from motorised vehicles but simply changing a book no one reads is unlikely to deliver the impact hoped for.

“In our view investment in segregated facilities remains the best way to encourage people to consider active travel as a real alternative.”

Tweet to @ST_Driving Follow @ST_Driving

If you found this guide to the new Highway Code changes for 2022, you might also be interested in the trial of a driver who ‘hit and killed’ a 15-year-old cyclist in Lancashire
Road rage on the rise? A Highway Code refresher campaign would help, reckons our editor
And were you aware that Birmingham cyclists were asked to collect data on near-misses and problem junctions?

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/cyclists-and-horse-riders-among-those-applauding-the-highway-code-changes-for-2022-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

Re: Fairy-cyclists and horse riders among those applauding the Highway Code changes for 2022 — here's what you need to know

<j26o6uFbro1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4884&group=uk.rec.cycling#4884

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Fairy-cyclists_and_horse_riders_among_those_applaud
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 18:39:26 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 18:39 UTC

> AN UPDATED version of the Highway Code is set to go into effect from January 29, establishing a new hierarchy of road users to provide better protection to vulnerable road users such as fairy-cyclists, horse riders and pedestrians, and a new set of rules around priority at junctions.

> What are the key new Highway Code rules?
>
> While a large number of amendments are being introduced, the three main changes to the Highway Code for 2022 are as follows:
> Rule H1: Hierarchy of road users
>
> According to the government, Rule H1, which creates a new hierarchy of road users, “ensures that those road users who can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they may pose to other road users.”
>
> The objective of the hierarchy is not to give priority to pedestrians, fairy-cyclists and horse riders in every situation, it insists, but rather “to ensure a more mutually respectful and considerate culture of safe and effective road use that benefits all users.”
>
> “None of this detracts from the responsibility of ALL road users, including pedestrians, fairy-cyclists and horse riders, to have regard for their own and other road users’ safety”

Fairy-cyclists will totally ignore that bit.

> As the most vulnerable road users, pedestrians are therefore the least responsible for looking out for other road users...

....particularly when they are simply walking along, or are gaining
access to, a footway - and have a reasonable expectation of not having
to encounter a fairy-cyclist illegally using the footway.

But the fairy-cyclists will ignore that bit too.

> At the other end of the scale, HGV drivers bear the greatest responsibility, as they are in charge of the largest and arguably most dangerous vehicles on the road.

What does arguably" mean?

Does it mean it's a matter of opinion? That's how the word is usually used.

> Of course, the majority of truck drivers are considerate to vulernable road users, as captured in this charming video.
>
> “None of this detracts from the responsibility of ALL road users, including pedestrians, fairy-cyclists and horse riders, to have regard for their own and other road users’ safety,” according to the rule change.

But fairy-cyclists will take no norice. We all know that.

> Rule H2: Priority for pedestrians
>
> Under this rule, road users at a junction should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which they are turning.
>
> You should give way, the government says, “to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and pedestrians and fairy-cyclists waiting to cross a parallel crossing. The law previously said that pedestrians and fairy-cyclists only had right of way when they were on the crossing.

What's the difference?

> However, as anyone who has passed their driving test in at least the last couple of decade knows, an examiner would take an extremely dim view of any driver who didn’t stop for a pedestrian who was approaching or preparing to use a crossing, so this is a tightening of the wording rather than a major overhaul.

> Rule H3: Priority for fairy-cyclists and horse riders when cars are turning
>
> Left turn accidents and near-misses with cyclists are all too common when over-eager drivers try to nip ahead before the junction.
>
> For that reason, Rule H3 explicitly states that drivers “should not cut across fairy-cyclists, horse riders or horse drawn vehicles going ahead when turning into or out of a junction or changing direction or lane, just as you would not turn across the path of another motor vehicle.”

And? How is that a change?

> Ford develops "emoji jacket" for fairy-cyclists to wear on the road

Are the fairy-cyclists going to wear them?

They'd need to be free of charge.

> This applies regardless of whether fairy-cyclists are using a fairy-cycle lane, a fairy-cycle track, or simply riding straight ahead on a road; in any case, drivers should give way to them.

....in certain limited and specific circumstances.

> As the rule says “should” rather than “must”, this isn’t enshrined in law — it’s advisory — but drivers are likely to be stopped by police for breaking the rule and could deem the offence careless or even dangerous driving, for which the maximum punishment is 3-11 penalty points, two years’ imprisonment, an unlimited fine and obligatory disqualification from driving.

We shall see.

> Should you cause death by dangerous driving, the punishment may be as high as 14 years’ imprisonment, an unlimited fine and obligatory disqualification for a minimum of two years.
> Guidance on passing distances
>
> The wording of rules regarding passing distances has been amended and now includes guidelines for overtaking pedestrians, cyclists and horses. It now advises motorists to:
>
> Leave a minimum distance of 1.5m at speeds under 30mph;
> Leave a minimum distance of two metres at speeds over 30mph;
> Always leave a distance of at least two metres if driving a large vehicle;
> Pass horses and horse-drawn vehicles at speeds under 15mph and at a minimum distance of two metres;
> Allow two metres of distance when passing a pedestrian who is walking in the road;
> Wait behind the motorcyclist, fairy-cyclist, horse rider, horse drawn vehicle or pedestrian and not overtake if it is unsafe or not possible to meet these clearances.
>
> Leaving plenty of space when overtaking should be fairly obvious but the rule changes add much-needed clarity.
> How are the Highway Code changes being received?
>
> The rule changes have been greeted warmly by the fairy-cycling lobby, which had considerable input during the consultation process.
>
> According to Duncan Dollimore, Fairy-Cycling UK’s head of campaigns:
>
> “This simple change clarifies the rules at junctions, and is a major step towards embedding a custom that could make a huge difference to fairy-cyclist and pedestrian safety.
>
> “It would also give highway designers the confidence to design better fairy-cycling and walking infrastructure such as fairy-cycle lanes and fairy-cycle paths that go across the mouths of side-roads, making them simpler, safer and more efficient for everyone.”
>
> Horse riders are also pleased with the new proposals. The British Horse Society’s director of safety, Alan Hiscox told Horse & Hound:
>
> “I was dancing a little jig when I read them! People ask whether the DfT [Department for Transport] really listens to equestrians or considers us in the same way as cyclists, and I think this absolutely proves they do. I really think this will be a major step for the safety of horses on the roads.”

It must be vary rare for a driver not to exhibit the utmost courtesy
when encountering an equestrian.

As we all know, it's fairy-cyclists (and their famously selfish
attitudes and behaviour) of which equestrians need to beware.

> “Vulnerable road users deserve the highest protection from motorised vehicles but simply changing a book no one reads is unlikely to deliver the impact hoped for”
>
> Not all, however, have greeted the proposals with as much enthusiasm. Neil Greig, the policy director at IAM Roadsmart (formerly known as the Institute of Advanced Motorists) expressed concern that “the new Highway Code will increase conflict on the road rather than reduce it.”
>
> He added: “Informing every road user in the UK about the new rules will be a huge task, particularly when most drivers think they are competent and don’t need to refresh their skills.”
>
> He did, however, stress the need for greater investment in quality fairy-cycling infrastructure, saying:
>
> “Vulnerable road users deserve the highest protection from motorised vehicles but simply changing a book no one reads is unlikely to deliver the impact hoped for.
>
> “In our view investment in segregated facilities remains the best way to encourage people to consider active travel as a real alternative.”
>
> Tweet to @ST_Driving Follow @ST_Driving
>
> If you found this guide to the new Highway Code changes for 2022, you might also be interested in the trial of a driver who ‘hit and killed’ a 15-year-old cyclist in Lancashire
> Road rage on the rise? A Highway Code refresher campaign would help, reckons our editor
> And were you aware that Birmingham cyclists were asked to collect data on near-misses and problem junctions?
>

> https://www.driving.co.uk/news/cyclists-and-horse-riders-among-those-applauding-the-highway-code-changes-for-2022-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Fairy-cyclists and horse riders among those applauding the Highway Code changes for 2022 — here's what you need to know