Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

SubjectAuthor
* Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?gareth evans
+* Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?GB
|`* Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?gareth evans
| +- Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?Jeff Gaines
| +* Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?Tim Streater
| |`* Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?gareth evans
| | `- Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?Tim Streater
| `- Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?williamwright
`- Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?Brian

1
Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

<t3eg4c$6ks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48895&group=uk.d-i-y#48895

From: headston...@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:25:30 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:25 UTC

Could not locate any Easter Biscuits in the supermarkets,
so decided to bake some myself, using the PROPER Oil Of
Cassia and not Cinnamon or Mixed Spice.

Only trouble is both of us are experiencing stomach gripes.

Googling suggests that the Cassia family are related to
Senna, a favourite ingredient of medicines.

Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

<t3em4q$kb9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48899&group=uk.d-i-y#48899

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:08:10 +0100
 by: GB - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:08 UTC

On 16/04/2022 14:25, gareth evans wrote:
> Could not locate any Easter Biscuits in the supermarkets,
> so decided to bake some myself, using the PROPER Oil Of
> Cassia and not Cinnamon or Mixed Spice.
>
> Only trouble is both of us are experiencing stomach gripes.
>
> Googling suggests that the Cassia family are related to
> Senna, a favourite ingredient of medicines.

The listing on Amazon says:

"Cassia oil is stronger in aroma and taste than regular cinnamon so it's
important to be sparing with it.
10ml is enough to flavour 9kg flour. "

So, how much of the stuff did you use, and how much flour? And how
much of the resultant produce have you eaten?

Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

<t3eol1$98h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48903&group=uk.d-i-y#48903

From: headston...@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:50:55 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:50 UTC

On 16/04/2022 16:08, GB wrote:
> On 16/04/2022 14:25, gareth evans wrote:
>> Could not locate any Easter Biscuits in the supermarkets,
>> so decided to bake some myself, using the PROPER Oil Of
>> Cassia and not Cinnamon or Mixed Spice.
>>
>> Only trouble is both of us are experiencing stomach gripes.
>>
>> Googling suggests that the Cassia family are related to
>> Senna, a favourite ingredient of medicines.
>

> The listing on Amazon says:
>
> "Cassia oil is stronger in aroma and taste than regular cinnamon so it's
> important to be sparing with it.
> 10ml is enough to flavour 9kg flour. "
>

> So, how much of the stuff did you use, and how much flour? And how
> much of the resultant produce have you eaten?

1/2 tsp (2.5ml) in 250mg of flour, so if amazon is correct, ten times
too much!

The recipe did call for "a tiny drop" which seemed to me to be
unfeasibly small! :-)

Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

<xn0ngoxsw47g64l00a@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48908&group=uk.d-i-y#48908

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 16 Apr 2022 16:41:04 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:41 UTC

On 16/04/2022 in message <t3eol1$98h$1@dont-email.me> gareth evans wrote:

>On 16/04/2022 16:08, GB wrote:
>>On 16/04/2022 14:25, gareth evans wrote:
>>>Could not locate any Easter Biscuits in the supermarkets,
>>>so decided to bake some myself, using the PROPER Oil Of
>>>Cassia and not Cinnamon or Mixed Spice.
>>>
>>>Only trouble is both of us are experiencing stomach gripes.
>>>
>>>Googling suggests that the Cassia family are related to
>>>Senna, a favourite ingredient of medicines.
>>

>>The listing on Amazon says:
>>
>>"Cassia oil is stronger in aroma and taste than regular cinnamon so it's
>>important to be sparing with it.
>>10ml is enough to flavour 9kg flour. "
>>

>>So, how much of the stuff did you use, and how much flour? And how
>>much of the resultant produce have you eaten?
>>

>1/2 tsp (2.5ml) in 250mg of flour, so if amazon is correct, ten times too
>much!
>
>The recipe did call for "a tiny drop" which seemed to me to be
>unfeasibly small! :-)

Put the toilet paper in the fridge, you'll be fine :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Every day is a good day for chicken, unless you're a chicken.

Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

<jc0dnkFpckpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48915&group=uk.d-i-y#48915

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 16 Apr 2022 17:46:28 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:46 UTC

On 16 Apr 2022 at 16:50:55 BST, gareth evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 16/04/2022 16:08, GB wrote:
>> On 16/04/2022 14:25, gareth evans wrote:
>>> Could not locate any Easter Biscuits in the supermarkets,
>>> so decided to bake some myself, using the PROPER Oil Of
>>> Cassia and not Cinnamon or Mixed Spice.
>>>
>>> Only trouble is both of us are experiencing stomach gripes.
>>>
>>> Googling suggests that the Cassia family are related to
>>> Senna, a favourite ingredient of medicines.
>>

>> The listing on Amazon says:
>>
>> "Cassia oil is stronger in aroma and taste than regular cinnamon so it's
>> important to be sparing with it.
>> 10ml is enough to flavour 9kg flour. "
>>

>> So, how much of the stuff did you use, and how much flour? And how
>> much of the resultant produce have you eaten?
>
> 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) in 250mg of flour, so if amazon is correct, ten times
> too much!
>
> The recipe did call for "a tiny drop" which seemed to me to be
> unfeasibly small! :-)

250mg of flour, eh? So the flour dissolved in the oil, is that it, and
vanished! Arf :-)

--
The EU Parliament. The only parliament in the world that can neither initiate nor repeal legislation.

Robert Kimbell

Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

<t3f3s8$re8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48925&group=uk.d-i-y#48925

From: headston...@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 20:02:32 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:02 UTC

On 16/04/2022 18:46, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 16 Apr 2022 at 16:50:55 BST, gareth evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> The listing on Amazon says:
>>>
>>> "Cassia oil is stronger in aroma and taste than regular cinnamon so it's
>>> important to be sparing with it.
>>> 10ml is enough to flavour 9kg flour. "
>>>

>>> So, how much of the stuff did you use, and how much flour? And how
>>> much of the resultant produce have you eaten?
>>
>> 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) in 250mg of flour, so if amazon is correct, ten times
>> too much!
>>
>> The recipe did call for "a tiny drop" which seemed to me to be
>> unfeasibly small! :-)
>
> 250mg of flour, eh? So the flour dissolved in the oil, is that it, and
> vanished! Arf :-)

Typo caused by multitasking fingers arriving in the wrong order!

gm NOT mg

Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

<jc0j3rFqaqdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48926&group=uk.d-i-y#48926

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 20:18:19 +0100
 by: williamwright - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:18 UTC

On 16/04/2022 16:50, gareth evans wrote:

> 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) in 250mg of flour, so if amazon is correct, ten times
> too much!
>
> The recipe did call for "a tiny drop" which seemed to me to be
> unfeasibly small! :-)

Oh shit!

Bill

Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

<jc0ltuFqt25U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=48933&group=uk.d-i-y#48933

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 16 Apr 2022 20:06:22 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 20:06 UTC

On 16 Apr 2022 at 20:02:32 BST, gareth evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 16/04/2022 18:46, Tim Streater wrote:

>>> 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) in 250mg of flour, so if amazon is correct, ten times
>>> too much!
>>>
>>> The recipe did call for "a tiny drop" which seemed to me to be
>>> unfeasibly small! :-)
>>
>> 250mg of flour, eh? So the flour dissolved in the oil, is that it, and
>> vanished! Arf :-)
>
> Typo caused by multitasking fingers arriving in the wrong order!

You need to serialise them fingers.

--
"A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled." - Sir Barnett Cocks (1907-1989)

Re: Is Oil Of Cassia a laxative?

<t3i51k$ged$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49069&group=uk.d-i-y#49069

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 22:40:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Cz+04BNbLdVqKwFbJeXatYum44U=
 by: Brian - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 22:40 UTC

gareth evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Could not locate any Easter Biscuits in the supermarkets,
> so decided to bake some myself, using the PROPER Oil Of
> Cassia and not Cinnamon or Mixed Spice.
>
> Only trouble is both of us are experiencing stomach gripes.
>
> Googling suggests that the Cassia family are related to
> Senna, a favourite ingredient of medicines.

Oil of Cassia isn’t something I’ve used in my cooking but a former
colleague had a reaction to something cooked using it. He is diabetic it
transpires Oil of Cassia interacts with some diabetes medication. I think
something to do with insulin uptake or breakdown? He was quite ill.

That is all I can recall. I’ve no idea if he is type 1 or 2 etc. I suspect
the latter but only because I’d known him some time before he seemed to
need to watch is sugar intake etc.

Strange isn’t it. We think of natural foods being healthier etc - which of
course they are in general- then along comes something like this.

Another example is grapefruit juice and Statins.