QOTD: "It's been real and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun."

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Absorption Fridges

SubjectAuthor
* Absorption FridgesBrian
+- Re: Absorption FridgesSteve Walker
+* Re: Absorption Fridgeswilliamwright
|`* Re: Absorption FridgesBrian
| `* Re: Absorption FridgesBrian
|  `- Re: Absorption Fridgeswilliamwright
+* Re: Absorption FridgesPaul
|+* Re: Absorption Fridgesajh
||`- Re: Absorption FridgesBrian
|`- Re: Absorption FridgesBrian
+* Re: Absorption Fridgesmm0fmf
|+* Re: Absorption FridgesBrian
||`- Re: Absorption Fridgeswilliamwright
|`* Re: Absorption FridgesDave Plowman (News)
| `- Re: Absorption FridgesBrian
+* Re: Absorption FridgesAndy Burns
|`- Re: Absorption FridgesAndrew
+- Re: Absorption FridgesChris Hogg
+- Re: Absorption FridgesColin Bignell
+* Re: Absorption FridgesFredxx
|+* Re: Absorption FridgesFredxx
||+* Re: Absorption FridgesRod Speed
|||`* Re: Absorption FridgesFredxx
||| +* Re: Absorption FridgesBrian
||| `- Re: Absorption FridgesRod Speed
||`- Re: Absorption FridgesSteve Walker
|`* Re: Absorption FridgesDave Plowman (News)
| +- Re: Absorption FridgesThe Nomad
| +* Re: Absorption FridgesBrian
| |`* Re: Absorption FridgesChris J Dixon
| | `* Re: Absorption FridgesBrian
| |  `- Re: Absorption FridgesChris J Dixon
| `- Re: Absorption FridgesChris Green
+- Re: Absorption FridgesAndrew
`- Re: Absorption FridgesAnimal

Pages:12
Absorption Fridges

<t3i81j$24l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49070&group=uk.d-i-y#49070

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Absorption Fridges
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:32:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:K5KlS8VnkPPjho8PEgKtdOnOJ6I=
 by: Brian - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:32 UTC

I’ve just had an expensive few days - the ‘three way’ fridge in our
motorhome died on our last trip. It was just out of warranty and, of
course, it was the absorption (coolant) system which had failed, which
isn’t repairable. To add to the joy, getting the old one out and the new
one in wasn’t easy- the fridge is wider than the habitation door. They fit
out the inside before putting on the roof when building these things.
Fortunately, it did fit through the front door ( passenger door) but this
required it to be lifted over the front seats etc.

Anyway, the new one is in- I replaced it with a compressor type, which are
becoming more popular. They only run off 12v but seem remarkably efficient.

But, back to absorption fridges.

When ours first failed, I did some diagnostics - checking the gas or
electric heaters were working etc, which they were. The fridge just wasn’t
cooling. A call to a friendly engineer who services motorhomes etc
confirmed my fears etc.

On returning home, trying to find someone to replace it promptly turned out
to be a problem.

I also stumbled across mention of ‘burping’ absorption fridges. Basically,
turning them upside down one or more times for varying times. How many and
how long seems to be a black art.

I opted for what seemed the most common mix, three or so inversions for an
hour or so.

After fitting back into place ( the inversions were done in the motorhome,
the delights of getting it out the door were yet to come), I drove to a
level spot (our drive slopes and absorption fridges need to be within 5
degrees or so of level) and fired it up on gas. It worked. Within 2 hrs the
freezer section was down to -18 and the fridge at 4.5 degrees. Turned it
off and headed home. I’d try again in the morning, if it worked I ‘d saved
£1200 ( these fridges are grossly over priced).

Let us just say, the next morning I was ordering a new fridge- which is now
fitted.

However, I’ve become intrigued by Absorption fridges. I understand they are
still used domestically- some of the small fridges like those in hotel
rooms are apparently absorption ones. I recall people have gas fridges.
Three way fridges used in caravans etc are often absorption ones so they
can use gas, 12 V when being towed, and 240v if available.

They have no moving parts ( ignoring doors etc). Are all but silent - you
can just hear the burner if on gas when it fires up.

They can have a very long life.

They can also die early, as ours did, I suspect due to being idle during
lockdown etc.

Does anyone have an absorption fridge in their house?

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3idsf$1fe$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49073&group=uk.d-i-y#49073

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Absorption Fridges
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:11:42 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 01:11 UTC

On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:

> I’ve just had an expensive few days - the ‘three way’ fridge in our
> motorhome died on our last trip. It was just out of warranty and, of
> course, it was the absorption (coolant) system which had failed, which
> isn’t repairable. To add to the joy, getting the old one out and the new
> one in wasn’t easy- the fridge is wider than the habitation door. They fit
> out the inside before putting on the roof when building these things.
> Fortunately, it did fit through the front door ( passenger door) but this
> required it to be lifted over the front seats etc.
>
> Anyway, the new one is in- I replaced it with a compressor type, which are
> becoming more popular. They only run off 12v but seem remarkably efficient.

Many years ago, I fitted a sizeable transformer and rectifier to my
parents' caravan, to allow use of the gas/12V fridge, 12V lighting and
water pump from mains hook-ups.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<jc41ksFfimrU5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49079&group=uk.d-i-y#49079

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:44:45 +0100
 by: williamwright - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:44 UTC

On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:
> Anyway, the new one is in- I replaced it with a compressor type, which are
> becoming more popular. They only run off 12v but seem remarkably efficient.

They are brilliant. Absorption is a joke by comparison.

Bill

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3iuhe$k6f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49083&group=uk.d-i-y#49083

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 01:55:58 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 05:55 UTC

On 4/17/2022 7:32 PM, Brian wrote:

> However, I’ve become intrigued by Absorption fridges.

You might want to compare the efficiency figures.

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/absorption-heat-pumps

"Absorption coolers and heat pumps usually only make sense in homes
without an electricity source, but they have an added advantage in
that they can make use of any heat source, including solar energy,
geothermal hot water, or other heat sources."

In other words, when you have a low-grade energy source which is
"free", absorption might be a big win.

Burning gas, could be an expensive proposition, depending on the COP.

"In practice a typical COP for an absorption cycle in air conditioning
would be about 0.7, compared to about 3.5 for a vapour compression system."

Even though these descriptions don't say "refrigerator", the
same principles apply. The COP just isn't the same.

This means if you resistively heated your old absorption refrigerator,
the COP would be the 0.7 number. By using a compressor, which generally
requires a higher grade of energy input, the COP happens to be
higher on those. They might both use electricity as the energy source,
the compressor is more efficient.

Paul

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3iuj2$t9g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49084&group=uk.d-i-y#49084

From: non...@invalid.com (mm0fmf)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:56:48 +0100
 by: mm0fmf - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 05:56 UTC

On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:
> I opted for what seemed the most common mix, three or so inversions for an
> hour or so.

Done this on rented motorhomes. Removal and inversion for an hour. The
second time the 12V cable connected to a chocolate-block connector where
a wire was loose and it had arced and burnt. It still needed inverting
after replacing the chocolate block.

The first time was on a camping site. The second was in a Parkplatz on
the Autobahn near Stuttgart.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<jc4dbhFhtsrU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49085&group=uk.d-i-y#49085

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:04:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:04 UTC

Brian wrote:

> Does anyone have an absorption fridge in their house?

My parents did in the early '70s, mainly because d ad worked for the gas board
and got good discounts (we had a gas tumble dryer too). I think they're common
in hotel rooms.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<ph0q5h1lnn73qeem6tfofo6hu390trd71q@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49089&group=uk.d-i-y#49089

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:34:32 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:34 UTC

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:32:03 -0000 (UTC), Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

>Does anyone have an absorption fridge in their house?

My parents had one in the early 1950's and it lasted into the 1960's.
It used ammonia as the 'coolant' and ran on gas with a little burner
in the back somewhere, but confusingly was made by Electrolux. Quite a
large beast, IIRC.

Towards the end of its life, the cooling circuit developed a pinhole
leak in the pipework just before the condenser fins - the kitchen
started smelling slightly of ammonia. I repaired it by binding the
leak with several layers of hairy string heavily impregnated and
smothered with araldite! It worked, and gave the fridge another few
years of life!

--
Chris

Re: Absorption Fridges

<BI-dnUHbgIJHjcD_nZ2dnUU7-VvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49091&group=uk.d-i-y#49091

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 08:18:48 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:18 UTC

On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:
> However, I’ve become intrigued by Absorption fridges. I understand they are
> still used domestically- some of the small fridges like those in hotel
> rooms are apparently absorption ones. ...

I have a mini-fridge that is designed for hotel rooms. It is
thermoelectric, rather than absorption, which will achieve 4C inside.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3j6e2$bmg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49098&group=uk.d-i-y#49098

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 08:10:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:w4GPSGPDjIQ21Mf3FpU6dZ5W7/o=
 by: Brian - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 08:10 UTC

mm0fmf <none@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:
>> I opted for what seemed the most common mix, three or so inversions for an
>> hour or so.
>
> Done this on rented motorhomes. Removal and inversion for an hour. The
> second time the 12V cable connected to a chocolate-block connector where
> a wire was loose and it had arced and burnt. It still needed inverting
> after replacing the chocolate block.
>
> The first time was on a camping site. The second was in a Parkplatz on
> the Autobahn near Stuttgart.

The 12v - at least the high current 12v - is normally only used when the
engine is running. It powers a 12V heater and draws a lot of current. I’ve
heard of people modifying 12v / gas only ones to use a mains power supply.

I didn’t check the 12v heater. The 240v one and gas burner certainly
worked. The fridge was cold when we arrived so the 12v heater worked en
route. Regardless, we need all three and it wasn’t a heater issue.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3j6e2$bmg$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49099&group=uk.d-i-y#49099

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 08:10:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6N0jgpa5U5UYL0So3/IvUAE2J/4=

williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:
>> Anyway, the new one is in- I replaced it with a compressor type, which are
>> becoming more popular. They only run off 12v but seem remarkably efficient.
>
> They are brilliant. Absorption is a joke by comparison.
>
> Bill

That seems to be the consensus.

The one negative is going ‘off grid’. The spec claims 3 days with two 95Ahr
batteries ( is ‘consuming’) 95Ahr in 3 days, allowing for the 50% rule.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3jf1t$49e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49112&group=uk.d-i-y#49112

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:37:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7J3v5wFPmqu7YdmG5yP9Z2O9FzI=
 by: Brian - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:37 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
>> On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:
>>> Anyway, the new one is in- I replaced it with a compressor type, which are
>>> becoming more popular. They only run off 12v but seem remarkably efficient.
>>
>> They are brilliant. Absorption is a joke by comparison.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> That seems to be the consensus.
>
> The one negative is going ‘off grid’. The spec claims 3 days with two 95Ahr
> batteries ( is ‘consuming’) 95Ahr in 3 days, allowing for the 50% rule.

Sorry, I intended save the above to drafts and complete it later:

That assumes you aren’t using the 12v for other things and aren’t charging
either. You can, of course, exceed 50% discharge a few times, change to
Lithium batteries, add solar, ….

We generally stick to sites so have mains and the 12v system has a 20A
smart charger and 2 100 or 110 Ahr batteries. We rarely go ‘off grid’ but
only for the odd night. At worst I have a generator. That said, I was
considering adding solar before this episode and will almost certainly do
so now - I recently up plated by adding air assisted suspension and
changing rims and tyres to a higher load rating so I have the payload to
play with.

One major advantage for us is we can now pre cool the fridge and freezer
before trips. The three way was an issue as our drive slopes and it is
difficult to get the MH within 5 degrees.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<jc4u1aFl2hoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49118&group=uk.d-i-y#49118

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (ajh)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:49:14 +0100
 by: ajh - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:49 UTC

On 18/04/2022 06:55, Paul wrote:
> In other words, when you have a low-grade energy source which is
> "free", absorption might be a big win.

In the past I believe they were used on trawlers which had a hot engine
all the time. however I also thought they needed stability for the
vapours to settle so I don't know how they got round that.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3jgs3$gjn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49123&group=uk.d-i-y#49123

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:08:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6ml+FRvR7k42kvwmRkGAWn79yWg=
 by: Brian - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:08 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 4/17/2022 7:32 PM, Brian wrote:
>

>> However, I’ve become intrigued by Absorption fridges.
>
> You might want to compare the efficiency figures.
>
> https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/absorption-heat-pumps
>
> "Absorption coolers and heat pumps usually only make sense in homes
> without an electricity source, but they have an added advantage in
> that they can make use of any heat source, including solar energy,
> geothermal hot water, or other heat sources."
>
> In other words, when you have a low-grade energy source which is
> "free", absorption might be a big win.
>
> Burning gas, could be an expensive proposition, depending on the COP.
>
> "In practice a typical COP for an absorption cycle in air conditioning
> would be about 0.7, compared to about 3.5 for a vapour compression system."
>
> Even though these descriptions don't say "refrigerator", the
> same principles apply. The COP just isn't the same.
>
> This means if you resistively heated your old absorption refrigerator,
> the COP would be the 0.7 number. By using a compressor, which generally
> requires a higher grade of energy input, the COP happens to be
> higher on those. They might both use electricity as the energy source,
> the compressor is more efficient.
>
> Paul

I don’t doubt it. I looked at the numbers when deciding whether to buy
another 3 way or go compressor. We rarely use gas to power the fridge and
the electric cost is always in our experience included in the pitch fees
but, even so, the numbers are significantly different. On the back of a
compressor fridge, most of the heat is pumped from the interior of the
fridge freezer. On an absorption one, you’ve got a gas or an electric
heater. When ours failed, it was as warm as normal ( as far as I could tell
by touch) yet the fridge / freezer was at room temp.

From memory, this new beast claims to use about 0.4 kWhr per 24 hr at 25
degrees. A fraction of the equivalent 3 way one.

3 ways are, of course, all but silent- on gas the make a slight noise when
firing up. The compressor one makes a little noise but not enough to be a
problem. It has a ‘night mode’, which I’ve yet to explore, which is even
quieter, if I’ve understood the manual.

Otherwise, the replacement is pretty well like for like. It fitted into the
hole with minimal changes- nothing visible.

The changes to the 12V supply were simple etc. The old gas supply now feeds
an external BBQ Point. The old mains supply and external mains socket. Both
can be isolated when not in use etc.

I did find investigating absorption fridges interesting but it was a darn
expensive exercise. A domestic fridge / freeze of the same size would cost
perhaps £300 tops. This was £1200, the RRP is far higher.

I can see that, if you have a VERY cheap heat source, an absorption fridge
may make sense but otherwise….

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3jjim$35f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49134&group=uk.d-i-y#49134

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:55:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RPNAQZ0DG5yQSlv4Wn+Qn1xoY3M=
 by: Brian - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:55 UTC

ajh <news@loampitsfarm.co.uk> wrote:
> On 18/04/2022 06:55, Paul wrote:
>> In other words, when you have a low-grade energy source which is
>> "free", absorption might be a big win.
>
> In the past I believe they were used on trawlers which had a hot engine
> all the time. however I also thought they needed stability for the
> vapours to settle so I don't know how they got round that.

That is interesting.

The suspected failure mode for mine is lack of use during the lockdowns.
During my research, I found numerous stories of, mainly in the US, RV
fridges which had been left unused for long periods and not working. After
being inverted (burped) some recovered.

Theories as to why this works vary. One is an ‘air lock’. The other is that
the coolant can either crystalise and block a pipe / pipes or collect it
the ‘wrong’ part of the system so it can’t be heated. Inverting, shakes it
around and, if you are lucky, clears the pipes etc.

Certainly my inversion attempts seemed initially to work but only for a
short while.

Our MH is parked on a slope when not in use. Looking at where the holding
tank is, I suspect the coolant isn’t collecting there when parked. Normally
we use the MH quite often but, during lockdowns, it wasted used. We have
used it since and did notice the fridge wasn’t as cold as usual - we needed
to increase the settings- so I suspect the problem started during lockdown.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<59db114ea1dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49139&group=uk.d-i-y#49139

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:38:58 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 12:38 UTC

In article <t3iuj2$t9g$1@dont-email.me>,
mm0fmf <none@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:
> > I opted for what seemed the most common mix, three or so inversions for an
> > hour or so.

> Done this on rented motorhomes. Removal and inversion for an hour. The
> second time the 12V cable connected to a chocolate-block connector where
> a wire was loose and it had arced and burnt. It still needed inverting
> after replacing the chocolate block.

> The first time was on a camping site. The second was in a Parkplatz on
> the Autobahn near Stuttgart.

First domestic fridge I had was a gas one in a rented flat. Large
Electrolux. Well known in those days inverting it once in a while made it
work better.

--
*I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3jo8v$5v4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49147&group=uk.d-i-y#49147

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:15:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WBeWg3cwIAW+zbzsRxBV3iGPfXc=
 by: Brian - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:15 UTC

Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <t3iuj2$t9g$1@dont-email.me>,
> mm0fmf <none@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:
>>> I opted for what seemed the most common mix, three or so inversions for an
>>> hour or so.
>
>> Done this on rented motorhomes. Removal and inversion for an hour. The
>> second time the 12V cable connected to a chocolate-block connector where
>> a wire was loose and it had arced and burnt. It still needed inverting
>> after replacing the chocolate block.
>
>> The first time was on a camping site. The second was in a Parkplatz on
>> the Autobahn near Stuttgart.
>
> First domestic fridge I had was a gas one in a rented flat. Large
> Electrolux. Well known in those days inverting it once in a while made it
> work better.

Interesting.

As I posted previously, I thought it seemed to be something required when
they have stood idle. I assume yours were in near constant us.

I wonder if the coolants have something added now which alleviates whatever
the mechanism is.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3jstf$8k9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49168&group=uk.d-i-y#49168

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:34:22 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:34 UTC

On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:

> I’ve just had an expensive few days - the ‘three way’ fridge in our
> motorhome died on our last trip. It was just out of warranty and, of
> course, it was the absorption (coolant) system which had failed, which
> isn’t repairable. To add to the joy, getting the old one out and the new
> one in wasn’t easy- the fridge is wider than the habitation door. They fit
> out the inside before putting on the roof when building these things.
> Fortunately, it did fit through the front door ( passenger door) but this
> required it to be lifted over the front seats etc.
>
> Anyway, the new one is in- I replaced it with a compressor type, which are
> becoming more popular. They only run off 12v but seem remarkably efficient.
>
> But, back to absorption fridges.
>
> When ours first failed, I did some diagnostics - checking the gas or
> electric heaters were working etc, which they were. The fridge just wasn’t
> cooling. A call to a friendly engineer who services motorhomes etc
> confirmed my fears etc.
>
> On returning home, trying to find someone to replace it promptly turned out
> to be a problem.
>
> I also stumbled across mention of ‘burping’ absorption fridges. Basically,
> turning them upside down one or more times for varying times. How many and
> how long seems to be a black art.
>
> I opted for what seemed the most common mix, three or so inversions for an
> hour or so.
>
> After fitting back into place ( the inversions were done in the motorhome,
> the delights of getting it out the door were yet to come), I drove to a
> level spot (our drive slopes and absorption fridges need to be within 5
> degrees or so of level) and fired it up on gas. It worked. Within 2 hrs the
> freezer section was down to -18 and the fridge at 4.5 degrees. Turned it
> off and headed home. I’d try again in the morning, if it worked I ‘d saved
> £1200 ( these fridges are grossly over priced).
>
> Let us just say, the next morning I was ordering a new fridge- which is now
> fitted.
>
> However, I’ve become intrigued by Absorption fridges. I understand they are
> still used domestically- some of the small fridges like those in hotel
> rooms are apparently absorption ones. I recall people have gas fridges.
> Three way fridges used in caravans etc are often absorption ones so they
> can use gas, 12 V when being towed, and 240v if available.
>
> They have no moving parts ( ignoring doors etc). Are all but silent - you
> can just hear the burner if on gas when it fires up.
>
> They can have a very long life.
>
> They can also die early, as ours did, I suspect due to being idle during
> lockdown etc.
>
> Does anyone have an absorption fridge in their house?

Absorption fridges used to be popular on narrowboats too, but the idea
of venting burnt fumes into the cabin means you can no longer buy one. I
think new rules forbid new builds from having one fitted.

In terms of efficiency you have to take care comparing like with like.
Modern 230V fridge freezers take little power, and there is a thought it
is best to switch an decent inverter to provide the necessary power from
12V to 230V.

YMMV

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3jt0s$8k9$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49170&group=uk.d-i-y#49170

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:36:12 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:36 UTC

On 18/04/2022 15:34, Fredxx wrote:
> [...]
>> can use gas, 12 V when being towed, and 240v if available.
>>
>> They have no moving parts ( ignoring doors etc). Are all but silent - you
>> can just hear the burner if on gas when it fires up.
>>
>> They can have a very long life.
>>
>> They can also die early, as ours did, I suspect due to being idle during
>> lockdown etc.
>>
>> Does anyone have an absorption fridge in their house?
>
> Absorption fridges used to be popular on narrowboats too, but the idea
> of venting burnt fumes into the cabin means you can no longer buy one. I
> think new rules forbid new builds from having one fitted.
>
> In terms of efficiency you have to take care comparing like with like.
> Modern 230V fridge freezers take little power, and there is a thought it
> is best to switch an decent inverter to provide the necessary power from

I also question why you need a fridge-freezer. Fridges consume much less
energy to keep cool. And still work at low temperatures.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3jtfb$gcd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49171&group=uk.d-i-y#49171

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:43:55 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:43 UTC

On 18/04/2022 00:32, Brian wrote:

> Does anyone have an absorption fridge in their house?

I've had two electrolux 'under counter' silent fridges.

I took one with when I was working in Fiji and ended up
giving it to some US Peace Corps volunteers.

The other one I bought 2nd hand on my return and it
bumbled along for about 10 years until I bought a more
modern compressor fridge that had a 3 * freezer
compartment that the electrolux one didn't. (only 2*
I think.

Electrolux could supply a kit for running it on
gas or kerosene for 'tropical use'. I'm not sure if
they are cheaper to run compared to a compressor type.

There was one in the Haematology lab for reagents and
one day the ammonia leaked and we had to call the fire brigade
to go in with breathing apparatus and remove it.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3jtp7$gcd$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49172&group=uk.d-i-y#49172

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:49:11 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:49 UTC

On 18/04/2022 07:04, Andy Burns wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have an absorption fridge in their house?
>
> My parents did in the early '70s, mainly because d ad worked for the gas
> board and got good discounts (we had a gas tumble dryer too).  I think
> they're common in hotel rooms.

The BHF charity shop in Worthing had 4 of them for sale after lockdown.
Apparently the charity was given about a 100 of them by a large London
hotel owner doing a refurb and they were distributed around the country.

£45 each and were snapped up PDQ.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<59db226884dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49185&group=uk.d-i-y#49185

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:45:46 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:45 UTC

In article <t3jstf$8k9$1@dont-email.me>,
Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
> In terms of efficiency you have to take care comparing like with like.
> Modern 230V fridge freezers take little power, and there is a thought it
> is best to switch an decent inverter to provide the necessary power from
> 12V to 230V.

Think the problem in a caravan is often limited 12v storage. Gas is easier
to store.

My brother uses his caravan a lot. And seems to have endless problems with
fridges. Usually the heating element - gas seems to be more reliable. Do
they use the same heating element for 12v and 240v (via the caravan 12v
PS)?

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<5Sf7K.1077918$5u1.772727@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49186&group=uk.d-i-y#49186

From: nom...@the.desert.invalid (The Nomad)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:55:45 GMT
 by: The Nomad - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:55 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:45:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <t3jstf$8k9$1@dont-email.me>,
> Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
>> In terms of efficiency you have to take care comparing like with like.
>> Modern 230V fridge freezers take little power, and there is a thought
>> it is best to switch an decent inverter to provide the necessary power
>> from 12V to 230V.
>
> Think the problem in a caravan is often limited 12v storage. Gas is
> easier to store.

^ This

> My brother uses his caravan a lot. And seems to have endless problems
> with fridges. Usually the heating element - gas seems to be more
> reliable. Do they use the same heating element for 12v and 240v (via the
> caravan 12v PS)?

No, separate heaters, with dire warnings to not use both at once

Avpx

--
- BIG FIDO? - "Yes?" - HEEL.
(Men at Arms)

Re: Absorption Fridges

<op.1ktyr1d6byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49206&group=uk.d-i-y#49206

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 02:58:39 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:58 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 00:36:12 +1000, Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>>> can just hear the burner if on gas when it fires up.
>>>
>>> They can have a very long life.
>>>
>>> They can also die early, as ours did, I suspect due to being idle
>>> during
>>> lockdown etc.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an absorption fridge in their house?
>> Absorption fridges used to be popular on narrowboats too, but the idea
>> of venting burnt fumes into the cabin means you can no longer buy one..
>> I think new rules forbid new builds from having one fitted.
>> In terms of efficiency you have to take care comparing like with like.
>> Modern 230V fridge freezers take little power, and there is a thought
>> it is best to switch an decent inverter to provide the necessary power
>> from 12V to 230V.
>
> I also question why you need a fridge-freezer. Fridges consume much less
> energy to keep cool. And still work at low temperatures.

But frozen food lasts much longer, stupid.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3k6fi$fvi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49213&group=uk.d-i-y#49213

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:17:38 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:17 UTC

On 18/04/2022 17:58, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 00:36:12 +1000, Fredxx <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

>>>  Absorption fridges used to be popular on narrowboats too, but the
>>> idea of venting burnt fumes into the cabin means you can no longer
>>> buy one. I think new rules forbid new builds from having one fitted.
>>>  In terms of efficiency you have to take care comparing like with
>>> like. Modern 230V fridge freezers take little power, and there is a
>>> thought it is best to switch an decent inverter to provide the
>>> necessary power from 12V to 230V.
>>
>> I also question why you need a fridge-freezer. Fridges consume much
>> less energy to keep cool. And still work at low temperatures.
>
> But frozen food lasts much longer, stupid.

Perhaps I only go away for a few days at a time, and buy any food when I
like, where I like.

If you travel for months keeping the same food frozen in your freezer,
then perhaps I can see your point.

Re: Absorption Fridges

<t3k951$5ts$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49228&group=uk.d-i-y#49228

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 19:03:12 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:03 UTC

Ice for your drinks? ;)