If an experiment works, something has gone wrong.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Hose for washing machine

SubjectAuthor
* Hose for washing machinePeterC
+* Re: Hose for washing machineChris Hogg
|`- Re: Hose for washing machinePeterC
`* Re: Hose for washing machineTim+
 +* Re: Hose for washing machinenewshound
 |`* Re: Hose for washing machineRod Speed
 | `* Re: Hose for washing machinenewshound
 |  +- Re: Hose for washing machineTim+
 |  `- Re: Hose for washing machineRod Speed
 +* Re: Hose for washing machinePeterC
 |+* Re: Hose for washing machineSteve Walker
 ||+- Re: Hose for washing machineMark
 ||`- Re: Hose for washing machinePeterC
 |`- Re: Hose for washing machineChris Hogg
 `- Re: Hose for washing machinePeterC

1
Hose for washing machine

<1bnf5biyvrmrc$.58usqpgqjas3.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49105&group=uk.d-i-y#49105

From: giraffen...@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Hose for washing machine
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:21:23 +0100
 by: PeterC - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:21 UTC

I want to move a washing machine and will need a longer inlet hose. Looked
at SF and TS - both the same, hoses leaking and splitting.
Searching for a high pressure hose, even with exclusions, brings up mainly
jet washers.
Ebay and Amazon give no pressure ratings.
Although the pressure here is only about 4 bar I'd like a decent hose of
about 2.5 - 3m. Any clues, please?

Drain isn't a problem as I'd just extend that.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Re: Hose for washing machine

<ascq5hdi2q0q4e445gpr4rn47bhl0jv87u@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49108&group=uk.d-i-y#49108

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Hose for washing machine
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:51:02 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:51 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:21:23 +0100, PeterC
<giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote:

>I want to move a washing machine and will need a longer inlet hose. Looked
>at SF and TS - both the same, hoses leaking and splitting.
>Searching for a high pressure hose, even with exclusions, brings up mainly
>jet washers.
>Ebay and Amazon give no pressure ratings.
>Although the pressure here is only about 4 bar I'd like a decent hose of
>about 2.5 - 3m. Any clues, please?
>
>Drain isn't a problem as I'd just extend that.

Braided PVC hose, like this sort of stuff https://tinyurl.com/yylhur2c
? Use the old end fittings and worm-drive hose clips?

--
Chris

Re: Hose for washing machine

<1257816516.671968692.703009.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49109&group=uk.d-i-y#49109

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 18 Apr 2022 10:00:44 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:00 UTC

PeterC <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
> I want to move a washing machine and will need a longer inlet hose. Looked
> at SF and TS - both the same, hoses leaking and splitting.
> Searching for a high pressure hose, even with exclusions, brings up mainly
> jet washers.
> Ebay and Amazon give no pressure ratings.
> Although the pressure here is only about 4 bar I'd like a decent hose of
> about 2.5 - 3m. Any clues, please?
>
> Drain isn't a problem as I'd just extend that.

In the interest of long term reliability, you might consider adding a
pressure regulator to the supply.

Re-plumbing the washing machine tap so that you can use standard length
hoses would seem a lot more sensible than hunting for long hoses too.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Hose for washing machine

<t3jfcp$6gk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49116&group=uk.d-i-y#49116

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:43:37 +0100
 by: newshound - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:43 UTC

On 18/04/2022 11:00, Tim+ wrote:
> PeterC <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
>> I want to move a washing machine and will need a longer inlet hose. Looked
>> at SF and TS - both the same, hoses leaking and splitting.
>> Searching for a high pressure hose, even with exclusions, brings up mainly
>> jet washers.
>> Ebay and Amazon give no pressure ratings.
>> Although the pressure here is only about 4 bar I'd like a decent hose of
>> about 2.5 - 3m. Any clues, please?
>>
>> Drain isn't a problem as I'd just extend that.
>
> In the interest of long term reliability, you might consider adding a
> pressure regulator to the supply.

+1

> Re-plumbing the washing machine tap so that you can use standard length
> hoses would seem a lot more sensible than hunting for long hoses too.

Often much more work though. Whereas it's easy to run hose behind
existing units, or under them provided they are on legs.

Re: Hose for washing machine

<op.1ktu16oybyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49182&group=uk.d-i-y#49182

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 01:38:20 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:38 UTC

newshound <sradcliffe544@gmail.com> wrote
> Tim+ wrote
>> PeterC <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote

>>> I want to move a washing machine and will need a longer inlet hose.
>>> Looked
>>> at SF and TS - both the same, hoses leaking and splitting.
>>> Searching for a high pressure hose, even with exclusions, brings up
>>> mainly
>>> jet washers.
>>> Ebay and Amazon give no pressure ratings.
>>> Although the pressure here is only about 4 bar I'd like a decent hose
>>> of
>>> about 2.5 - 3m. Any clues, please?
>>>
>>> Drain isn't a problem as I'd just extend that.
>> In the interest of long term reliability, you might consider adding a
>> pressure regulator to the supply.
>
> +1
>
>> Re-plumbing the washing machine tap so that you can use standard length
>> hoses would seem a lot more sensible than hunting for long hoses too.
>>

> Often much more work though. Whereas it's easy to run hose behind
> existing units, or under them provided they are on legs.

But much more expensive to fix if the hose does leak or split.

Re: Hose for washing machine

<1wgnecpmot8yr$.1ait3hr7cr4xm.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49188&group=uk.d-i-y#49188

From: giraffen...@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:11:01 +0100
 by: PeterC - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:11 UTC

On 18 Apr 2022 10:00:44 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

> PeterC <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
>> I want to move a washing machine and will need a longer inlet hose. Looked
>> at SF and TS - both the same, hoses leaking and splitting.
>> Searching for a high pressure hose, even with exclusions, brings up mainly
>> jet washers.
>> Ebay and Amazon give no pressure ratings.
>> Although the pressure here is only about 4 bar I'd like a decent hose of
>> about 2.5 - 3m. Any clues, please?
>>
>> Drain isn't a problem as I'd just extend that.
>
> In the interest of long term reliability, you might consider adding a
> pressure regulator to the supply.
>
> Re-plumbing the washing machine tap so that you can use standard length
> hoses would seem a lot more sensible than hunting for long hoses too.
>
> Tim

It could be only temporary, though. The kitchen has two levels to the floor
and the present position is on the step. If I could swing it 90 deg. it
would be on flat floor.
There's no rock to it and it's level on top but if it does move a little
way...
I was there when it last started 'dancing' and I couldn't hold it; she
doesn't have a chance.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Re: Hose for washing machine

<1jmeq7rq6e0iu.k97yelyz26kq.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49190&group=uk.d-i-y#49190

From: giraffen...@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:20:23 +0100
 by: PeterC - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:20 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:51:02 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:21:23 +0100, PeterC
> <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I want to move a washing machine and will need a longer inlet hose. Looked
>>at SF and TS - both the same, hoses leaking and splitting.
>>Searching for a high pressure hose, even with exclusions, brings up mainly
>>jet washers.
>>Ebay and Amazon give no pressure ratings.
>>Although the pressure here is only about 4 bar I'd like a decent hose of
>>about 2.5 - 3m. Any clues, please?
>>
>>Drain isn't a problem as I'd just extend that.
>
> Braided PVC hose, like this sort of stuff https://tinyurl.com/yylhur2c
> ? Use the old end fittings and worm-drive hose clips?

That gave me an idea - look for braided w/m hose. £26, 10 bar
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132154857735
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Re: Hose for washing machine

<t3k7vo$t6k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49222&group=uk.d-i-y#49222

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:43:19 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:43 UTC

On 18/04/2022 17:11, PeterC wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2022 10:00:44 GMT, Tim+ wrote:
>
>> PeterC <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I want to move a washing machine and will need a longer inlet hose. Looked
>>> at SF and TS - both the same, hoses leaking and splitting.
>>> Searching for a high pressure hose, even with exclusions, brings up mainly
>>> jet washers.
>>> Ebay and Amazon give no pressure ratings.
>>> Although the pressure here is only about 4 bar I'd like a decent hose of
>>> about 2.5 - 3m. Any clues, please?
>>>
>>> Drain isn't a problem as I'd just extend that.
>>
>> In the interest of long term reliability, you might consider adding a
>> pressure regulator to the supply.
>>
>> Re-plumbing the washing machine tap so that you can use standard length
>> hoses would seem a lot more sensible than hunting for long hoses too.
>>
>> Tim
>
> It could be only temporary, though. The kitchen has two levels to the floor
> and the present position is on the step. If I could swing it 90 deg. it
> would be on flat floor.
> There's no rock to it and it's level on top but if it does move a little
> way...
> I was there when it last started 'dancing' and I couldn't hold it; she
> doesn't have a chance.

They are standard 3/4" BSP threads on both ends, so you could just join
two normal length hoses with a 3/4" BSP nipple.

Re: Hose for washing machine

<t3kk74$sfn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49253&group=uk.d-i-y#49253

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:12:04 +0100
 by: newshound - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 21:12 UTC

On 18/04/2022 16:38, Rod Speed wrote:
> newshound <sradcliffe544@gmail.com> wrote
>> Tim+ wrote
>>> PeterC <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote

>>>  In the interest of long term reliability, you might consider adding a
>>> pressure regulator to the supply.
>>
>> +1
>>
>>>  Re-plumbing the washing machine tap so that you can use standard length
>>> hoses would seem a lot more sensible than hunting for long hoses too.
>>>

>> Often much more work though. Whereas it's easy to run hose behind
>> existing units, or under them provided they are on legs.
>
> But much more expensive to fix if the hose does leak or split.

Not on my solid floor. Hoover up with wet and dry vac. Replace hose.

Whereas re-routing copper might well involve removing worktops including
sinks, and disturbing wall tiles in order to remove built-in cabinets.

Re: Hose for washing machine

<868836390.672009658.957901.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49256&group=uk.d-i-y#49256

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 18 Apr 2022 21:22:42 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 21:22 UTC

newshound <sradcliffe544@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/04/2022 16:38, Rod Speed wrote:
>> newshound <sradcliffe544@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Tim+ wrote

>>> +1

>>> Often much more work though. Whereas it's easy to run hose behind
>>> existing units, or under them provided they are on legs.
>>
>> But much more expensive to fix if the hose does leak or split.
>
> Not on my solid floor. Hoover up with wet and dry vac. Replace hose.
>
> Whereas re-routing copper might well involve removing worktops including
> sinks, and disturbing wall tiles in order to remove built-in cabinets.

*might well involve…*. I’m not suggesting that anyone should go to
extraordinary effort to move a tap but it’s often an easy bit of plumbing.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Hose for washing machine

<op.1kuctacobyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49261&group=uk.d-i-y#49261

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:01:48 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:01 UTC

newshound <sradcliffe544@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> newshound <sradcliffe544@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Tim+ wrote

>>> +1

>>> Often much more work though. Whereas it's easy to run hose behind
>>> existing units, or under them provided they are on legs.
>> But much more expensive to fix if the hose does leak or split.
>
> Not on my solid floor. Hoover up with wet and dry vac. Replace hose.

Depends on how deep it gets, when you notice the leak,
and what is used for the walls of the existing units.

Quite a bit of the time they would be fucked after a split hose
and would need to be replaced.

> Whereas re-routing copper might well involve removing worktops including
> sinks, and disturbing wall tiles in order to remove built-in cabinets.

Re: Hose for washing machine

<t3kqnf$8tj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49265&group=uk.d-i-y#49265

From: mar...@127.0.0.1 (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:03:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:03 UTC

Steve Walker wrote:

>>> Tim
>>
>> It could be only temporary, though.
>
> They are standard 3/4" BSP threads on both ends, so you could just join
> two normal length hoses with a 3/4" BSP nipple.

That's what I was going to say, all you need is another hose and a connector if only temporary
https://www.toolstation.com/made4trade-brass-hexagonal-nipple/p61267?store=CB&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dc&pcrid=558023894541&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw-HC_9qe9wIVh6ztCh0z6gcOEAQYASABEgIxtPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Re: Hose for washing machine

<jnd06xwu4gsv$.bf3jb9omn3yw$.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49281&group=uk.d-i-y#49281

From: giraffen...@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:57:32 +0100
 by: PeterC - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:57 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:43:19 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

> On 18/04/2022 17:11, PeterC wrote:

>>> In the interest of long term reliability, you might consider adding a
>>> pressure regulator to the supply.
>>>
>>> Re-plumbing the washing machine tap so that you can use standard length
>>> hoses would seem a lot more sensible than hunting for long hoses too.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>
>> It could be only temporary, though. The kitchen has two levels to the floor
>> and the present position is on the step. If I could swing it 90 deg. it
>> would be on flat floor.
>> There's no rock to it and it's level on top but if it does move a little
>> way...
>> I was there when it last started 'dancing' and I couldn't hold it; she
>> doesn't have a chance.
>
> They are standard 3/4" BSP threads on both ends, so you could just join
> two normal length hoses with a 3/4" BSP nipple.

True, but I'd need another hose and don't want those at SF and TS as they
appear to be rubbish. On Ebay, there's no telling what they're like.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Re: Hose for washing machine

<1c6r3lowtpfak$.kihc69zcbql8$.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49352&group=uk.d-i-y#49352

From: giraffen...@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:12:29 +0100
 by: PeterC - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:12 UTC

On 18 Apr 2022 10:00:44 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

> PeterC <giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
>> I want to move a washing machine and will need a longer inlet hose. Looked
>> at SF and TS - both the same, hoses leaking and splitting.
>> Searching for a high pressure hose, even with exclusions, brings up mainly
>> jet washers.
>> Ebay and Amazon give no pressure ratings.
>> Although the pressure here is only about 4 bar I'd like a decent hose of
>> about 2.5 - 3m. Any clues, please?
>>
>> Drain isn't a problem as I'd just extend that.
>
> In the interest of long term reliability, you might consider adding a
> pressure regulator to the supply.
>
> Re-plumbing the washing machine tap so that you can use standard length
> hoses would seem a lot more sensible than hunting for long hoses too.
>
> Tim

It would be quite easy just to add a bit more copper: adaptor to current w/m
point to get pipe closer to new place, couple of clips, straight w/m tap,
extend drain hose.
As it happens, the machine stayed where I put it when used today. I suspect
that it 'creeps' a little bit in use and eventually becomes unstable, so
I'll check its position every so often.
An easy way out! I hope that it lasts.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Re: Hose for washing machine

<r9ot5hhqp2u569bego2unsqk12vtpbd35a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49356&group=uk.d-i-y#49356

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:23:03 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:23 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:11:01 +0100, PeterC
<giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk> wrote:

>It could be only temporary, though. The kitchen has two levels to the floor
>and the present position is on the step. If I could swing it 90 deg. it
>would be on flat floor.
>There's no rock to it and it's level on top but if it does move a little
>way...
>I was there when it last started 'dancing' and I couldn't hold it; she
>doesn't have a chance.

If it tends to 'walk' during the spin cycle, stand the wheels in
castor cups? (assuming it has wheels, that is. Alternatively, stand it
in a large shallow tray).

--
Chris