Once is happenstance, Twice is coincidence, Three times is enemy action. -- Auric Goldfinger

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7

SubjectAuthor
* How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7Chris Hogg
+* Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7Andy Burns
|+* Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7Chris Hogg
||`- Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7Jock
|`* Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7Jock
| `* Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7charles
|  `- Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7Jock
+- Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7Jock
`- Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7Chris Hogg

1
How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7

<86nq5h9pom675rc49d8nhfcp68ol2ak2uj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49142&group=uk.d-i-y#49142

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:59:22 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 12:59 UTC

I bought an iphone 7 from our local phone shop a few months ago. Not
the latest model, obviously, but probably quite adequate for my modest
needs and not expensive in comparison with the latest models. The
shopkeeper set it up for me and included what I think must have been a
Face Unlock of some sort, because every time I looked at it, it
unlocked.

At first, and in ignorance, I found this rather annoying, and somehow
I managed to lose it, which I now find is even more annoying!

I have managed to get Touch ID to work OK, but it tends to stop
working if I've been doing some DIY and my fingerprints have become
worn, but I would like to get Face Unlock back again.

Googling for it says two things: Face Unlock isn't available on the
I-Phone 7 (in which case what was unlocking my phone every time I
looked at it?), and alternatively go to Settings>Face ID and Passcode
etc, except that I don't get Face ID and Passcode, only Touch ID and
Passcode.

I've tried searching the Apple Store for an App, but don't see
anything that might be what I want.

So how do I get Face ID back to unlock my iphone, without having to
eat humble pie and visit the shop again and get him to restore it?

--
Chris

Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7

<jc55vvFmhfeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49144&group=uk.d-i-y#49144

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:05:02 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:05 UTC

Chris Hogg wrote:

> I bought an iphone 7 from our local phone shop a few months ago. Not
> the latest model, obviously, but probably quite adequate for my modest
> needs and not expensive in comparison with the latest models. The
> shopkeeper set it up for me and included what I think must have been a
> Face Unlock of some sort, because every time I looked at it, it
> unlocked.

AFAIK only iPhones X, 11, 12 and 13 have the infra-red dot projectors to support
face ID.

Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7

<3poq5hpr456va4j9s85n6b8btl70ok70vr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49146&group=uk.d-i-y#49146

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:14:03 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:14 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:05:02 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Chris Hogg wrote:
>
>> I bought an iphone 7 from our local phone shop a few months ago. Not
>> the latest model, obviously, but probably quite adequate for my modest
>> needs and not expensive in comparison with the latest models. The
>> shopkeeper set it up for me and included what I think must have been a
>> Face Unlock of some sort, because every time I looked at it, it
>> unlocked.
>
>AFAIK only iPhones X, 11, 12 and 13 have the infra-red dot projectors to support
>face ID.

I have certainly see it said that Iphone 7 lacks a TrueDepth camera so
can't use Face ID, in which case why was my phone unlocking every time
I looked at it? Perhaps it was never locked in the first place, and in
my inexperience I assumed it was locked, and it just came to life
every time I picked it up. Is that possible?

--
Chris

Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7

<op.1ktxf5ctc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49192&group=uk.d-i-y#49192

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 02:29:55 +1000
 by: Jock - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:29 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:59:22 +1000, Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I bought an iphone 7 from our local phone shop a few months ago. Not
> the latest model, obviously, but probably quite adequate for my modest
> needs and not expensive in comparison with the latest models. The
> shopkeeper set it up for me and included what I think must have been a
> Face Unlock of some sort, because every time I looked at it, it
> unlocked.
>
> At first, and in ignorance, I found this rather annoying, and somehow
> I managed to lose it, which I now find is even more annoying!
>
> I have managed to get Touch ID to work OK, but it tends to stop
> working if I've been doing some DIY and my fingerprints have become
> worn, but I would like to get Face Unlock back again.
>
> Googling for it says two things: Face Unlock isn't available on the
> I-Phone 7 (in which case what was unlocking my phone every time I
> looked at it?), and alternatively go to Settings>Face ID and Passcode
> etc, except that I don't get Face ID and Passcode, only Touch ID and
> Passcode.

No iphone has both face id and touch id, it is always one or the other.

> I've tried searching the Apple Store for an App, but don't see
> anything that might be what I want.

> So how do I get Face ID back to unlock my iphone, without having to
> eat humble pie and visit the shop again and get him to restore it?

You can't it doesnt have the hardware to do it.

You will have to get the seller to repeat what he previously did.

You sure that it did actually lock when you first bought it ?

More likey he just set a long time before it locked and you didn't
notice and an iOS update has reset the long lock time.

Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7

<op.1ktxi8ktc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49193&group=uk.d-i-y#49193

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 02:31:46 +1000
 by: Jock - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:31 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:05:02 +1000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Chris Hogg wrote:
>
>> I bought an iphone 7 from our local phone shop a few months ago. Not
>> the latest model, obviously, but probably quite adequate for my modest
>> needs and not expensive in comparison with the latest models. The
>> shopkeeper set it up for me and included what I think must have been a
>> Face Unlock of some sort, because every time I looked at it, it
>> unlocked.
>
> AFAIK only iPhones X, 11, 12 and 13 have the infra-red dot projectors to
> support face ID.

That's correct, the 7 doesn't have the hardware to do face id.

And no iphone has both face id and touch id.

Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7

<op.1ktxq8fkc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49195&group=uk.d-i-y#49195

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 02:36:34 +1000
 by: Jock - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:36 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:14:03 +1000, Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:05:02 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Chris Hogg wrote:
>>
>>> I bought an iphone 7 from our local phone shop a few months ago. Not
>>> the latest model, obviously, but probably quite adequate for my modest
>>> needs and not expensive in comparison with the latest models. The
>>> shopkeeper set it up for me and included what I think must have been a
>>> Face Unlock of some sort, because every time I looked at it, it
>>> unlocked.
>>
>> AFAIK only iPhones X, 11, 12 and 13 have the infra-red dot projectors
>> to support
>> face ID.
>
> I have certainly see it said that Iphone 7 lacks a TrueDepth camera so
> can't use Face ID, in which case why was my phone unlocking every time
> I looked at it? Perhaps it was never locked in the first place, and in
> my inexperience I assumed it was locked, and it just came to life
> every time I picked it up. Is that possible?

Yes, that is very likely what happened. iphones do light up the
screen when you pick them up. That lets you see the time without
unlocking for example.

Most likely an iOS update did restore the automatic lock after
a certain time with the phone not being used.

Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7

<59db28571dcharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49202&group=uk.d-i-y#49202

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:50:33 +0100
 by: charles - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:50 UTC

In article <op.1ktxi8ktc5duzs@pvr2.lan>,
Jock <kdj@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:05:02 +1000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> > Chris Hogg wrote:
> >
> >> I bought an iphone 7 from our local phone shop a few months ago. Not
> >> the latest model, obviously, but probably quite adequate for my modest
> >> needs and not expensive in comparison with the latest models. The
> >> shopkeeper set it up for me and included what I think must have been a
> >> Face Unlock of some sort, because every time I looked at it, it
> >> unlocked.
> >
> > AFAIK only iPhones X, 11, 12 and 13 have the infra-red dot projectors
> > to support face ID.

> That's correct, the 7 doesn't have the hardware to do face id.

> And no iphone has both face id and touch id.

which was hightly irritating when one had to wear a mask.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7

<op.1ktz56voc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49215&group=uk.d-i-y#49215

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 03:28:44 +1000
 by: Jock - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:28 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 02:50:33 +1000, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
wrote:

> In article <op.1ktxi8ktc5duzs@pvr2.lan>,
> Jock <kdj@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:05:02 +1000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
>> wrote:

>> modest
>> >
>> > AFAIK only iPhones X, 11, 12 and 13 have the infra-red dot projectors
>> > to support face ID.
>
>> That's correct, the 7 doesn't have the hardware to do face id.
>
>> And no iphone has both face id and touch id.
>
> which was hightly irritating when one had to wear a mask.

Not anymore, they fixed that by working on what
is above the mask, the eyes and forehead etc.

Re: How to set up Face Unloc on i-phone 7

<ou8r5hdmv8lo8s03cjqn5tlq5oc054o8e0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49230&group=uk.d-i-y#49230

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 19:13:43 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:13 UTC

Thanks for all the replies. At least I can now stop looking for Face
ID activation!

--
Chris