From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: One brexit silver-lining we missed
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 22:02:49 +0100
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 16 May 2022 21:02 UTC

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10643213/US-says-UK-free-trade-deal-not-worth-spending-years-lot-blood-sweat-tears-working-on.html

<quotes>

The United States appeared to hit Boris Johnson's hopes of striking a post-Brexit free trade deal today [ 22nd March 2022 ]

Britain has spent years trying to get first the Trump and then the Biden Administration to agree to a free trade deal that would represent a blue ribband moment for post-Brexit commerce.

In an uncomfortable moment for Trade Secretary Anne-Marie Trevelyan, her US counterpart Katherine Tai last night used a joint press conference to suggested a [FTA] commerce covenant was a 'very 20th century tool'.

'I want to ensure ... we don't spend years and spend a lot of blood, sweat and tears working on something that isn't going to be relevant to the needs of our people and our economies.'

</quotes>

Seems America isn't as keen on the deal we want as we are.

Still, even with the US, China and Russia out of the picture, there are plenty of smaller countries we can strike deals with. And plenty of time to strike them in. It's not as if the UK economy is going to collapse anytime soon.

India's not looking so great with their position on Russia but, if we keep upping the number of entry visas on offer, reducing what we ask for, we should be able to score a deal. Patel's plan to bring 'world-class immigrants' in from India to take those high-paid jobs Johnson is creating is still on track.