24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Another telegraph pole

SubjectAuthor
* Another telegraph polejohn west
+- Re: Another telegraph poleAdrian
+* Re: Another telegraph poleSteve Walker
|+- Re: Another telegraph poleFredxx
|`- Re: Another telegraph poleAndrew
`* Re: Another telegraph poleBrian
 `* Re: Another telegraph poleAndy Burns
  `- Re: Another telegraph poleTheo

1
Another telegraph pole

<t3nbov$nea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49397&group=uk.d-i-y#49397

From: mail.inv...@mail.invalid (john west)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Another telegraph pole
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:06:27 +0100
 by: john west - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:06 UTC

Much excitement in the Hood today as outreach suddenly arrived with a
very short warning then proceeded to hoist out our huge wooden telegraph
pole that supplies telephone lines to about six houses with a new pole.

We really could not see anything wrong with the old pole. What might a
reason be then for them changing it ?

Two observations: 1 a very thin shiny copper wire running all the way
down the pole and then into the ground. Guess its an earth wire? But
what might happen to our internet connection if some vandal took to
clipping it with his nail clippers ?
2 The pole looked as if it had been stained a dark brown with something
then on top of that which was a very rough application of a dark liquid
that looked and felt to the touch like well used runny wet car engine oil.
What is this kind of weather proofing ? Is it something i might usefully
learn about and use on my wooden fence?

Re: Another telegraph pole

<Ma0j5FUAYzXiFw7E@ffoil.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49400&group=uk.d-i-y#49400

From: diy...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Another telegraph pole
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:21:52 +0100
 by: Adrian - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:21 UTC

In message <t3nbov$nea$1@dont-email.me>, john west
<mail.invalid456@mail.invalid> writes

>Much excitement in the Hood today as outreach suddenly arrived with a
>very short warning then proceeded to hoist out our huge wooden
>telegraph pole that supplies telephone lines to about six houses with a
>new pole.
>
>We really could not see anything wrong with the old pole. What might a
>reason be then for them changing it ?
>
>Two observations: 1 a very thin shiny copper wire running all the way
>down the pole and then into the ground. Guess its an earth wire? But
>what might happen to our internet connection if some vandal took to
>clipping it with his nail clippers ?
>2 The pole looked as if it had been stained a dark brown with
>something then on top of that which was a very rough application of a
>dark liquid that looked and felt to the touch like well used runny wet
>car engine oil.
>What is this kind of weather proofing ? Is it something i might
>usefully learn about and use on my wooden fence?

There is a pole planted in the verge outside my house. A few weeks
back, someone (OpenReach ?) was digging a hole next to it. I asked why,
and was told that they did it to check the condition of the pole, so it
is possible that yours had a problem below ground level.

Regarding the copper wire, this one has one. The wire was broken within
a few weeks of it being installed. I reported this to OR, but they
didn't seem concerned.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Re: Another telegraph pole

<t3nfri$g8p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49405&group=uk.d-i-y#49405

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:16:02 +0100
 by: Steve Walker - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:16 UTC

On 19/04/2022 23:06, john west wrote:

> Much excitement in the Hood today as outreach suddenly arrived with a
> very short warning then proceeded to hoist out our huge wooden telegraph
> pole that supplies telephone lines to about six houses with a new pole.
>
> We really could not see anything wrong with the old pole. What might a
> reason be then for them changing it ?

Maybe age and changing it before any chance of underground rot setting
in making it unsafe?

> Two observations: 1 a very thin shiny copper wire running all the way
> down the pole and then into the ground.  Guess its an earth wire? But
> what might happen to our internet connection if some vandal took to
> clipping it with his nail clippers ?

I don't know, but if it was absolutely required, I'd expect it to be
capped for protection.

> 2  The pole looked as if it had been stained a dark brown with something
> then on top of that which was a very rough application of a dark liquid
> that looked and felt to the touch like well used runny wet car engine oil.
> What is this kind of weather proofing ? Is it something i might usefully
> learn about and use on my wooden fence?

I think that telegraph poles are still one of the uses where proper
creosote is permitted. Maybe with a tar based substance for coating the
underground section?

Re: Another telegraph pole

<t3ngm6$jnk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49406&group=uk.d-i-y#49406

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:30:13 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:30 UTC

On 20/04/2022 00:16, Steve Walker wrote:
> On 19/04/2022 23:06, john west wrote:
>>
>> Much excitement in the Hood today as outreach suddenly arrived with a
>> very short warning then proceeded to hoist out our huge wooden
>> telegraph pole that supplies telephone lines to about six houses with
>> a new pole.
>>
>> We really could not see anything wrong with the old pole. What might a
>> reason be then for them changing it ?
>
> Maybe age and changing it before any chance of underground rot setting
> in making it unsafe?
>
>> Two observations: 1 a very thin shiny copper wire running all the way
>> down the pole and then into the ground.  Guess its an earth wire? But
>> what might happen to our internet connection if some vandal took to
>> clipping it with his nail clippers ?
>
> I don't know, but if it was absolutely required, I'd expect it to be
> capped for protection.
>
>> 2  The pole looked as if it had been stained a dark brown with
>> something then on top of that which was a very rough application of a
>> dark liquid that looked and felt to the touch like well used runny wet
>> car engine oil.
>> What is this kind of weather proofing ? Is it something i might
>> usefully learn about and use on my wooden fence?
>
> I think that telegraph poles are still one of the uses where proper
> creosote is permitted. Maybe with a tar based substance for coating the
> underground section?

I thought creosote was only banned for domestic use. And that pros can
still get the stuff but tend to come in 44 gallon barrels!

Re: Another telegraph pole

<t3o4do$52a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49408&group=uk.d-i-y#49408

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 05:07:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:fVFLHCXXv/aPfiPhe7Uhi8qAOgA=
 by: Brian - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 05:07 UTC

john west <mail.invalid456@mail.invalid> wrote:

> Much excitement in the Hood today as outreach suddenly arrived with a
> very short warning then proceeded to hoist out our huge wooden telegraph
> pole that supplies telephone lines to about six houses with a new pole.
>
> We really could not see anything wrong with the old pole. What might a
> reason be then for them changing it ?
>
> Two observations: 1 a very thin shiny copper wire running all the way
> down the pole and then into the ground. Guess its an earth wire? But
> what might happen to our internet connection if some vandal took to
> clipping it with his nail clippers ?
> 2 The pole looked as if it had been stained a dark brown with something
> then on top of that which was a very rough application of a dark liquid
> that looked and felt to the touch like well used runny wet car engine oil.
> What is this kind of weather proofing ? Is it something i might usefully
> learn about and use on my wooden fence?

There was a story that a whole batch of poles years ago had been installed
by contractors. They hadn’t sunk them the required depth, they’d cut off a
section. This makes them unsafe to climb.
The story was, they weren’t smart enough to get the hole and bit cut of
section right so, some index on the pole which should always be a given
distance from the ground wasn’t in the right place. Before climbing a pole,
the staff are suppose to check this. If it was in the wrong place, the
pole is replaced.

I heard this a good 20 years back from a BT employee.

The poles used to be vacuum / pressure treated with creosote, or something
very like it. There were placed in a chamber, air was sucked out, and the
gunge introduced under pressure. ( Same BT source.) Perhaps they use some
different chemicals now, although creosote is legal for industrial use.

Re: Another telegraph pole

<jc9lbiFi5lcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49413&group=uk.d-i-y#49413

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:51:44 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 05:51 UTC

Brian wrote:

> The poles used to be vacuum / pressure treated with creosote, or something
> very like it. There were placed in a chamber, air was sucked out, and the
> gunge introduced under pressure.

They are imported and treated just outside Boston, there's a yard I drive past
occasionally that has huge piles of them giving-off the lovely smell of creosote.

<https://goo.gl/maps/SZDSEe1fYpqB9aMXA>

Re: Another telegraph pole

<RJg*2i-Ly@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49431&group=uk.d-i-y#49431

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 20 Apr 2022 09:48:27 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:48 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
> > The poles used to be vacuum / pressure treated with creosote, or something
> > very like it. There were placed in a chamber, air was sucked out, and the
> > gunge introduced under pressure.
>
> They are imported and treated just outside Boston, there's a yard I drive past
> occasionally that has huge piles of them giving-off the lovely smell of creosote.
>
> <https://goo.gl/maps/SZDSEe1fYpqB9aMXA>

"We are equipped with our own twin set of 36m creosote impregnation vessels,
as well as 15m celcure high pressure treatment autoclaves. These resources
enable us to treat large amounts of timber quickly and efficiently, meaning
we can get your products to you faster."

https://www.caldersandgrandidge.com/about-us
https://www.caldersandgrandidge.com/our-products/poles

Re: Another telegraph pole

<t3p63u$11p1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=49475&group=uk.d-i-y#49475

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:42:04 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 14:42 UTC

On 20/04/2022 00:16, Steve Walker wrote:
> On 19/04/2022 23:06, john west wrote:
>>
>> Much excitement in the Hood today as outreach suddenly arrived with a
>> very short warning then proceeded to hoist out our huge wooden
>> telegraph pole that supplies telephone lines to about six houses with
>> a new pole.
>>
>> We really could not see anything wrong with the old pole. What might a
>> reason be then for them changing it ?
>
> Maybe age and changing it before any chance of underground rot setting
> in making it unsafe?
>
>> Two observations: 1 a very thin shiny copper wire running all the way
>> down the pole and then into the ground.  Guess its an earth wire? But
>> what might happen to our internet connection if some vandal took to
>> clipping it with his nail clippers ?
>
> I don't know, but if it was absolutely required, I'd expect it to be
> capped for protection.
>
>> 2  The pole looked as if it had been stained a dark brown with
>> something then on top of that which was a very rough application of a
>> dark liquid that looked and felt to the touch like well used runny wet
>> car engine oil.
>> What is this kind of weather proofing ? Is it something i might
>> usefully learn about and use on my wooden fence?
>
> I think that telegraph poles are still one of the uses where proper
> creosote is permitted. Maybe with a tar based substance for coating the
> underground section?

A quick sniff will soon tell the OP if it is genuine creosote (which
BT, electric co's and farmers can still use).